PDA

View Full Version : Soft version of pure drive?

CycloneSh0t
08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi there, i was wondering if there are any suggestions for a less stiff pure drive?? as my arm has been experience some tenderness for the last few days.

i like to stay with that kind of racket, as i currently use the pure drive roddick. i like something with that kind of power and serving bombs!

i already tried switching strings from full rpm at 57 to rpm 18 at 50 and sensation 52 to gamma syn gut at 57. Yet my arm still experience some tenderness

Thanks for your suggestions!

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 07:27 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389060

Also there is this thread on the exact same subject only three threads below yours:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393370

ericsson
08-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Hi there, i was wondering if there are any suggestions for a less stiff pure drive?? as my arm has been experience some tenderness for the last few days.

i like to stay with that kind of racket, as i currently use the pure drive roddick. i like something with that kind of power and serving bombs!

i already tried switching strings from full rpm at 57 to rpm 18 at 50 and sensation 52 to gamma syn gut at 57. Yet my arm still experience some tenderness

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes there is, it is called Soft Drive and was made between 1994 and 1996.

CycloneSh0t
08-22-2011, 09:45 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389060

Also there is this thread on the exact same subject only three threads below yours:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393370

thanks i saw that too but the rackets that were mentioned were technifibre and volkl rackets... i live in canada so getting demos from tennis warehouse would cost too much. i was hoping to look into brands available in my local racket shop. Which Includes: prince, head, babolat, wilson, dunlop and yonex v-cores

niktub
08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Wilson pro Open
Dunlop 500 Tour
Stay away from Babolat(except the Soft Drive or the heavier PST)

counterpuncher
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Using the tool this is a comprehensive list to start with and reduce according to your specific requirements, most noteably by reducing the RA frame stiffness number :

http://www.racquetfinder.com/?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=99&hsMax=100&lMin=26.9&lMax=27.1&wMin=10.7&wMax=11.5&swMin=305&swMax=331&fMin=55&fMax=72&bpMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=&crosses=&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=35&y=23

dgoran
08-23-2011, 05:02 AM
They are selling softer pure drive in your favorite local sporting goods store under e series moniker here in the US.

Pure graphite 67ra

origmarm
08-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Second the BLX Pro Open recommendation. Similar in many ways.

JackB1
08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Becker London = soft Pure Drive

origmarm
08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Becker London = soft Pure Drive

I haven't tried this one yet but my hitting partner also said this. He has tried the Pro Open also and rates the Beckers as a "crisper Pro Open"

flashfire276
08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Obviously, people mentioned the classic Babolat Soft Drive. Bud is selling this on the TT Classifieds!
However, specs are a bit different, and not just because of the flex RA. If you want to retain the specs of the current PDC or PDGT, you should look for the older Pure Drive Team Non-Cortex. It is the "true" Pure Drive, without the elbow-killing.
If it's hard to look for older racquets, you should look into racquets like the Head Youtek Instinct MP, Wilson BLX Pro Open, or even try out the new Babolat Pure Storm GT. It is a different playing field when you compare PD and PS, but there are benefits. And it shouldn't be THAT different, so you'll adjust quickly.

ericsson
08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Obviously, people mentioned the classic Babolat Soft Drive. Bud is selling this on the TT Classifieds!
However, specs are a bit different, and not just because of the flex RA. If you want to retain the specs of the current PDC or PDGT, you should look for the older Pure Drive Team Non-Cortex. It is the "true" Pure Drive, without the elbow-killing.
If it's hard to look for older racquets, you should look into racquets like the Head Youtek Instinct MP, Wilson BLX Pro Open, or even try out the new Babolat Pure Storm GT. It is a different playing field when you compare PD and PS, but there are benefits. And it shouldn't be THAT different, so you'll adjust quickly.

Bud is not selling a classic (first generation) Soft Drive, the one im talking about share the exact same mold as the PD but with a softer lay up.
It is lighter and therefor also perfect to customise.
It is rare but if you really want it you can find it...

retlod
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
BLX Pro Open with a little lead to match the PD's swing weight.

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Before I got my Volkl PB10 I had the Pure Storm Tour GT which someone mentioned earlier. It still does not compare to the plush feel and comfort of the PB10. Before that I had an MG Radical which was supposed to be super plush as well but also fell short. The PB10 has made me a believer of Volkl products and I believe it would be worth it to try out one of their products.

CycloneSh0t
08-23-2011, 08:40 PM

thanks i do have the pure drive team but unfortunately mines is a bit small its 4 1/8 as to my pure drive roddick which is 4 1/4 i'm still trying to find a way to up size my grip a bit without making it the same weight as the roddick.... haven't got a clue ( shrink sleeve is about 15 grams alone)

CycloneSh0t
08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Wilson pro Open
Dunlop 500 Tour

thanks i'm going to look into those right now!

fuzz nation
08-24-2011, 04:57 AM
The Babolat Storm models are typically softer than their Aero/Pure Drives. I'd look at those first, since you'll get the same familiar grip shape in a more flexible alternative to your PD Roddick.

You may also get much more relief if you try some multifiber or even natural gut. A buddy of mine uses natural gut in those frames (PDR's) after getting over a major bought of tennis elbow and he's been 100% healthy after his string swap.

luishcorreia
08-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Use the TW Racquet Finder...you can see racquets with similar specs... just configure it to show racquets with a smaller RA index.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/

luishcorreia
08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Try this:

http://www.racquetfinder.com/?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=95&hsMax=102&lMin=27&lMax=27&wMin=10&wMax=13&swMin=220&swMax=340&fMin=40&fMax=65&bpMin=2&bpMax=12&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=&crosses=&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=36&y=19

A racquet with a head-size from 95sqin up to 102sqin (the PD has a 100sqin head), stifness up to 65 (PD has a stifness of 70), weight of 10oz to 12oz.... just play around with the numbers

Ross K
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
So re the older PD Teams, what's the general consensus of opinion then on these now? Are these a bit more highly regarded than I thought?

R

BC1
08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Wilson pro Open
Dunlop 500 Tour

It may just be me, but I don't believe these "stay away from Babolat" statements are totally accurate. Sure the PDs and APDs are stiff racquets, but no more then any other in their category. I've played with many supposedly less stiff racquets that have felt stiffer or harsher then the Babolats. You need to try for yourself, and most importantly the STRINGS AND TENSION WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE, no matter which racquet you play with.

However, I do agree that the 500 tour and pro open are good alternatives. Or maybe just the regular PDGT - it may be easier on your arm then the Roddick version.

ChipNCharge
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Prince O3 White

niktub
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Prince O3 White

Yes never had the chance to hit with it but that sounds like it!

Netzroller
08-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Doas anyone know the Prince EXO3 Tour 100 (16X18)? I was browsing TW house recently because I might want to change rackets soon. Well, this one seems to be by far the softes tweener available, Stiffness: 52!!

Is Babolat really that bad? I don't know if you can really judge by the numbers but most other brands seems to have similar stiffness (e.g. BLX Pro Open is 66) or even more (Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro has 75RA, more than any Babolat racket)... So wonder how they have gotten their reputation as 'arm killers' and these others dont?:-?

CycloneSh0t
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
It may just be me, but I don't believe these "stay away from Babolat" statements are totally accurate. Sure the PDs and APDs are stiff racquets, but no more then any other in their category. I've played with many supposedly less stiff racquets that have felt stiffer or harsher then the Babolats. You need to try for yourself, and most importantly the STRINGS AND TENSION WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE, no matter which racquet you play with.

However, I do agree that the 500 tour and pro open are good alternatives. Or maybe just the regular PDGT - it may be easier on your arm then the Roddick version.

i agree with the string and tension as i switched to gamma syn gut 17 at 58 and my arm is still feeling weak after 4 days since my last hit mind you i played 5 hours of tennis over the course of 3 days before stopping

CycloneSh0t
08-24-2011, 07:24 PM

the regular pdgt is a difference of 1-2 point in stiffness its this noticeable? so i'm debating on whether or not its worth buying as babolat rarely has deals on these frames

Bud
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Bud is not selling a classic (first generation) Soft Drive, the one im talking about share the exact same mold as the PD but with a softer lay up.
It is lighter and therefor also perfect to customise.
It is rare but if you really want it you can find it...

The Soft Drive I have for sale is the best one, IMHO :)