PDA

View Full Version : Sampras backhand

zorg
07-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Was his backhand good? Cause when I searched pictures of it on gettyimages, it has the wrong form, and it looked weak. Was it? Because when you look at the backhand of Federer, he gets it in front, not Sampras. Federer has beutiful form and from pictures it looks solid. So, did Sampras have a good backhand or not?

simi
07-05-2005, 09:32 PM
It has been said that his backhand is "suspect". It was good, especially in his earlier days. Toward the end of his career, it turned into a liability that the smart players would try to take advantage of. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

Exile
07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I think this was covered before that everyone was thinking that a 1hbh was weak because of sampras. A lot of players used to pick on that one side a lot too. Sampras would sometimes just mess around and move his opponent around if he was bored in a match.

I wouldn't say it was good, but it was good enough.

Marius_Hancu
07-05-2005, 09:38 PM
It has been said that his backhand is "suspect". It was good, especially in his earlier days. Toward the end of his career, it turned into a liability that the smart players would try to take advantage of. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

yes, like Agassi in the 2002 USO F, at 4-4 in the last set, getting smoked by several BHs:-)

alan-n
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
When Sampras was in the zone it was good, otherwise it wasn't so great. His elbow gets way out in front of the stroke and a lot of shots ended up as shanks.

Federer has one of the best 1 handed backhands. He can hit all the angles and pace. A lot of misshits when he is lazy.... but under pressure and in big matches it seems to deliver winners and angles that other top 10 players wish they were hitting.

diredesire
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Sampras had a good backhand, but it was technically weird/weak, IMO. He pulls the arm across the body and a lot of his strength is coming from his shoulders, which were pretty buff, so i think he could handle it. He switched to a one hander early on in his tennis career, but used to play with a 2 hander. It wasn't the greatest shot of all time, but it was "good enough" as they say. Just let the results speak for themselves. If it was a liability, he wouldn't have 14 slams, my friend.

ps 6.0
07-05-2005, 11:30 PM
i know from experience, the one handed backhand with the 85 is very difficult in comparision to other rackets. Of all my rackets, from a PS 6.0 95 to a Prestige Tour to a Pro Staff ROK, the 85 is the only racket that i cant hit a consistent reliable one handed backhand. But yea, his form in comparision to others such as JHH, Guga, or even Gasquet, seems very suspect.

glass
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
I think he used close to a continental grip.

glass
07-05-2005, 11:36 PM
i know from experience, the one handed backhand with the 85 is very difficult in comparision to other rackets. Of all my rackets, from a PS 6.0 95 to a Prestige Tour to a Pro Staff ROK, the 85 is the only racket that i cant hit a consistent reliable one handed backhand. But yea, his form in comparision to others such as JHH, Guga, or even Gasquet, seems very suspect.

You just need to hit up with it more, it took me about a month to really get into my 85. Although, having said that, I find it hard when I'm really stretched on the backhand side and forced to make a pass, because of the lack of power in the racquet.

Elenkov
07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
it was the worst part of his game. that doesn't say much tho, because his game was top notch.

Kevin Patrick
07-06-2005, 09:16 AM
zorg if you really are interested you should get matches from '93 to '96 involving Sampras(in '97, Annacone's influence made him more of a S&V & his technique became lax on that stroke). I've seen Agassi, Courier, Kafelnikov relentlessly attack his backhand in many matches & it didn't break down. The best backhands hit hit(IMO) were passing shots or outright return winners indoors or on grass vs. players like Becker, Stich, Krajieck, Ivanisevic, Philippoussis, Rusedski. He could really rip the ball when needed.

Marius_Hancu
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM
zorg if you really are interested you should get matches from '93 to '96 involving Sampras(in '97, Annacone's influence made him more of a S&V & his technique became lax on that stroke). .

That's a good point.

Ash Doyle
07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
No, Sampras used an eastern backhand grip

mercuryguy
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree sampras's (my fav all time player) BH does look suspect but it worked for him.
slightly off topic:
I'm working on my 1HBH and I like federer's alot. Sampras's BH looks weak. I'm new to playing tennis although watched alot of tennis. I was slicing the ball alot on my BH but now I'm trying to swing. Its hard to work on the BH, right now I'm hitting against the wall and I'm improving in leaps but during match play I stink. Any suggestions (I guess more practice).

Cavaleer
07-06-2005, 02:08 PM
For years I tried to figure out Sampras' BH without satisfaction. It wasn't until I saw him at Cincinnati that I figured it out.

Sampras actually snapped his wrist with his eastern/continental BH. That's why when it was on it was really a serious weapon, especially from the baseline because he could generate so much topspin. But when his timing was off it was an exploitable weakness in his game, especially on service returns.

Basically, when his timing was off on his BH it gave opponents a glimmer of hope, but only if they could withstand his serves and his forehand.

When his timining was on -- as it was from winter 98-99, when he demolished everyone, Agassi, Rafter, Kricjek et al from Wimbledon until he injured himself before the US Open, a 22-match streak I think --he was virtually unbeatable, except on the dirt.

Forza,

Cavaleer

Cavaleer
07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree sampras's (my fav all time player) BH does look suspect but it worked for him.
slightly off topic:
I'm working on my 1HBH and I like federer's alot. Sampras's BH looks weak. I'm new to playing tennis although watched alot of tennis. I was slicing the ball alot on my BH but now I'm trying to swing. Its hard to work on the BH, right now I'm hitting against the wall and I'm improving in leaps but during match play I stink. Any suggestions (I guess more practice).

Mini-Tennis will do wonders for gaining confidence in your 1BH grip and point of contact. The wall is better for forehands and volleys, I've found, because the spin of the incoming ball and the timing of your swing on the backhand is much more delicate than the forehand and therefore more difficult to duplicate on a wall.

Play mini-tennis for 1/2 hr or more and watch the trajectory of your ball after it leaves your raquet. You want your balls to look like rainbows, or a three-point shot in basketball- high arch, easily clearing the net, with spin that brings the ball down into the court.
The trajectory tells you how accurate or inaccurate your POC (point of contact) is. Also, if you like Federer's backhand, copy his stroke, especially his grip and shoulder turn. And remember, your wrist must remain firm, volley-like firm.

With the 1BH, POC/timing are everything. The margin for error is smaller than on any other shot except for the serve and overhead.

And be patient. After you can place the ball comfortably in mini-tennis, move back one step into no-man's land and hit the same strokes from that distance. Finally, move to the baseline.

Hope this helps.

Cavaleer

mercuryguy
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks Cavaleer for your informative post.

FedererUberAlles
07-07-2005, 08:39 AM
It looks like a moonballer's one handed backhand.

Silky Sampras
07-24-2005, 08:06 PM
You can see Sampras' backhand showcased if you're lucky enough to see the 1995 US Open Final between Sampras and Agassi. Andre would serve to his backhand, and pound his two-hander over to Pete's backhand all day, but this strategy only produced a standstill... neutral, backhand to backhand baseline rallies, and that was pitting "strength against weakness," if you will. The famous 22-stroke rally to end that first set, with Agassi down set point, was won by Pete's beautiful crosscourt backhand.

Pete's backhand was consistently hit with great depth, and with so much topspin that it cleared the net "looking like an oval." Another match that showcases Pete's backhand is the 2000 US Open semi-final with Hewitt. (Granted, he got his revenge in the final next year...we have to be fair here!). Hewitt was having alot of trouble that day with the depth and pace of Pete's one hander, and at times Pete was even dictating play with it from the baseline.

Sampras' backhand, along with his return of serve and court quickness, were just some of the quite underrated aspects of his game. His backhand ain't no moonball!

Silky Sampras

GotGame?
07-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Sampras' backhand, along with his return of serve and court quickness, were just some of the quite underrated aspects of his game. His backhand ain't no moonball!

Silky Sampras

I agree about his backhand, but from what I hear, have read, and remembered, his return of serve was not necessarily weak, but just solid, not like his strong service games. I thought that his mobility around the court decreased as he got older and was not as fit, but I hear he was a quick guy especially with those dead run forehands.

BTW, You do know you can edit your signature through the User Control Panel, Silky Sampras?

joe sch
07-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Petes backhand was his weakest stroke. He muscled the stroke, did not have a full windup and hit it too far from his body. I dont think he really worried too much about it since he almost never tried to hit winners from the BH and had a superb FH & BH volley and half volley.

Young Pete
07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
could it be because of the racquet that sampras has such an unorthodox backhand? Is it because due to the lack of power of st. vincents sampras has to muscle the ball with arm and shoulders...........

armand
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1270000/images/_1274312_sampras300.jpghttp://www.planet.nl/upload_mm/4/6/1/Federer-50317.onlineBild.jpgFed usually finishes with a flailing arm on his backhand while Pete rarely did that later in his career. The reason for that is I think Pete lost some flexibility in his wrist but he did gain much more shoulder strength so he was more than able to compensate.

I watched the 1995 Australian Open Final against Agassi and his BH was garbage. 2 years later his backhand was completely different and much more effective.

When Pete beat Agassi a couple years ago at the U.S. Open in 4 tiebreak sets his backhand was simply awesome. It was working better than I have ever seen and even better than Federer's backhand on that night.

Defcon
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Like everyone has said, his bh was not a weakness - he never lost a match because of that stroke. Sampras liked camping around the bh side, daring his opponent to go crosscourt when he would unleas his lethal running fh. I have seen Federe employ a similar tactic.

I think he played around with his bh technique during his career, simply trying different things, and because the rest of his game was so powerful he could afford to. In the 20001 USO QF with Agassi he was really aggresive, stepping in and hitting bh service return winners that were truly remarkable.

asman
07-25-2005, 02:36 AM
And how many astonishing BH winners in the last US Open final, in 2002, against Andre! Sampras has the most underrated OHBH in tennis! Sure, compared to all his other weapons, it was his weakest shot, but it's all relative!
Federer BH's technique is quite similar to Sampras' one, in my opinion.

Marius_Hancu
07-25-2005, 03:58 AM
And how many astonishing BH winners in the last US Open final, in 2002, against Andre! Sampras has the most underrated OHBH in tennis!

but of course, his final break was on those.

armand
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Sorry, I know this is off topic but did Sampras choose the color scheme for the Tour 90? I thought I heard that somewhere he chose it because the racquet was designed for him or something but then he didn't get the chance to use it because he retired.
And did Federer pick the colors for the nsixone? They are the colors of Switzerland...

Stuck
07-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Towards the end of Pete's career he chipped to many balls just getting it into play and players such as gonzo, roddick, fed, others with huge forehands would serve huge to Pete's bh and crush an easy fh off of Pete's chip return. trust me back in the day P Samp's bh was the *****. He didn't win 14 slams with a weak backhand ya know!

nViATi
07-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I know this is off topic but did Sampras choose the color scheme for the Tour 90? I thought I heard that somewhere he chose it because the racquet was designed for him or something but then he didn't get the chance to use it because he retired.
And did Federer pick the colors for the nsixone? They are the colors of Switzerland...
i'm not sure but i read somewhere that atleast the rough / sandpapery paint on the tour 90 + 95 were inspired or suggested by pete

35ft6
07-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Like everyone has said, his bh was not a weakness - he never lost a match because of that stroke. A lot of clay court players probably remember differently. Towards the end of Pete's career he chipped to many balls just getting it into play and players such as gonzo, roddick, fed, others with huge forehands would serve huge to Pete's bh and crush an easy fh off of Pete's chip return. trust me back in the day P Samp's bh was the *****. He didn't win 14 slams with a weak backhand ya know! I remember his backhand being awesome on some points, maybe even some matches, but never being a money shot. It didn't have to be, his game wasn't about ripping backhands. Edberg's forehand was worse than Pete's bh and he won 6 Grand Slams.