PDA

View Full Version : Bad Silicone?

user92626
08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I injected 5 gr of home depot silicone II (used for bath, shower, etc.) into my pdgt buttcap 20 hrs ago but it's still as wet as when it was put in.

This is from an open bottle that was opened and used a year ago.

Is there not enough time for it to dry yet or is it bad, expired silicone?

Also, is 5gr enough to give me the dampen feel in the handle?

Thanks in advance.

goran_ace
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
it's fine. give it more time to dry. it'll dry in under 24 hours when used in bathroom applications, but in the inside of a racket handle it'll take more time.

5g is enough to dampen.

movdqa
08-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I usually left my racquets outside for a day or two after putting in silicone.

user92626
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks, guys.

I guess I'll have to play with another racket today :)

thebeast73
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
can u put silicone in through the trap door or do u have to remove the buttcap

user92626
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
can u put silicone in through the trap door or do u have to remove the buttcap

I didn't think much about different parts but it's actually the trap door where the bab logo sticker is.

First I put half a cotton ball in each vessel. Pretty shallow though because of the staples. Then, I squeezed in the silicone a bit at a time then use my thumb to press it in. I think for 5 oz, the silicone has to ooze through the cotton somehow. :)

movdqa
08-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I used a screwdriver to bend the staple arms back towards the tube walls to make it easier for the silicone to go in.

Hotrocks
08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
How far up the handle do you apply the silicone? I have a few Head YouTek Prestige pro's and don't like the leather grips. So far I have replaced leather with synthetic and the difference in weight with lead strips full length of handle. But in doing this the grip size is little bigger. Do you add the silicone a little @ a time then weigh racquet until the right weight is achieved? How far up the handle should you go with silicone? What silicone do you prefer? THanks.......PS- I have a balance board & scale.

movdqa
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I just added it in and then made adjustments with nails that I pushed through the silicone. With silicone alone, I imagine that you put it in, weigh it, if not enough push it in and add some more and repeat.

I contacted TW about getting RDC measurements on a frame and they said that they do customization for $20. I am going to customize an incoming frame (need to add 1.5 ounces) and was thinking of ordering one from TW to customize but was wondering if they could do all of the modifications. I imagine doing the silicone would bump the price for customization but it would be much easier if they did the whole thing as they could measure the results on the RDC.

On Pro racquets, my guess is that they inject an approximate amount on the low side and then just add a little lead tape at the top of the handle to get it just right.

goran_ace
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't go more than maybe 2 inches up the racket handle with silicone. typically I start off with roughly the same amount in each racket (if you haven't worked with silicone before squeeze some out onto a piece of paper and weigh it so you have a rough idea of how much you are putting in) and then add a little bit more at a time to get them close. silicone doesn't weigh all that much, and takes a long time to set (in case you want to take some out), so its not very hard to get your rackets pretty close little by little. that said, because it doesn't weigh that much, if you want to add a lot of weight, instead of doing it all with silicone you can embed lead for brass in there for more weight, or put lead tape on top of the handle/under the grip like movdqa mentioned.

Hotrocks
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks.....Appreciate you input!!!

BobFL
08-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I injected 5 gr of home depot silicone II (used for bath, shower, etc.) into my pdgt buttcap 20 hrs ago but it's still as wet as when it was put in.

This is from an open bottle that was opened and used a year ago.

Is there not enough time for it to dry yet or is it bad, expired silicone?

Also, is 5gr enough to give me the dampen feel in the handle?

Thanks in advance.

This is your answer. Always use fresh silicone. The one you have there lost its properties long time ago...

user92626
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
This is your answer. Always use fresh silicone. The one you have there lost its properties long time ago...

sigh, you're probably right. My silicone is still wet!

I'm gonna remove it and try another bottle!

Steve Huff
08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
You have to remember, when you put the butt cap back on, it's almost like putting the lid back on a container. It's just going to take some time to solidify.

purple-n-gold
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I used a screwdriver to bend the staple arms back towards the tube walls to make it easier for the silicone to go in.

Did this as well. Much easier than removing the butt and stapling it back.

I set mine in a storage room outside, standing it up from the bottom.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Wait, so what if you want to add some weight at 7 inches up the buttcap?

movdqa
08-26-2011, 02:46 AM
I would just add some lead tape on the handle if I needed it that high. It's far enough up so that the small bulge in the grip wouldn't interfere with holding the racquet.