PDA

View Full Version : US Open: fans get to keep the ball

Noelle
07-05-2005, 11:27 PM
http://www.usopen.org/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=195813

Fans Keep Stray Balls in Arthur Ashe Stadium

For the first time in the history of the US Open, spectators will be allowed to hold onto tennis balls that reach the stands during match play.

A fan-friendly initiative that is sure to draw rave reviews among spectators of all ages, kids and parents can now carry home balls hit into the stands.

An errant Andy Roddick forehand or a booming Serena Williams serve or a Andre Agassi overhead smash will now become keep-sakes that last a lifetime.
Will the lost ball be replaced in play by a new ball, or will they pull out an old ball from under the umpire's seat?

Deuce
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
"...or will they pull out an old ball from under the umpire's seat?"

What exactly are you implying here, Noelle?

Jeez - and to think I always thought you had class...

goober
07-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Well I hope it doesn't become like baseball games where fans go crazy trying to catch the ball. That can be pretty embarrassing sometimes.

Noelle
07-05-2005, 11:49 PM
What exactly are you implying here, Noelle?

Jeez - and to think I always thought you had class...

What the...? I really had no idea I was implying anything. I just thought that they'd keep a bag of balls with the umpire just in case they really do lose a ball.

I guess the innuendo didn't hit me until you pointed it out. Oops! Pardon me.

Deuce
07-05-2005, 11:57 PM
All in good fun, Noelle...

Yours!05
07-06-2005, 12:05 AM
A fan-friendly initiative that is sure to draw rave reviews among spectators of all ages, kids and parents can now carry home balls hit into the stands.But how will the players review it? Need more info on what sort of substitute ball is planned. Cricket keeps an array of balls at different stages of deterioration that they bring out when a ball is lost, or unplayably damaged. Umpires and both captains get to consider the substitute.

diredesire
07-06-2005, 01:30 AM
I would imagine they wouldn't substitute balls in brand new in the middle of a set, they'll probably have to have more in rotation.

I think hte new court color scheme is pretty cool!

GotGame?
07-06-2005, 05:13 AM

Will the lost ball be replaced in play by a new ball, or will they pull out an old ball from under the umpire's seat?

I think this is great. From the first time I watched tennis, I was hoping for something like this to happen. Now it has! :) This change along with the court color scheme change should surely make this USO and others to come for the fans.

omnivoreguy
07-06-2005, 05:39 AM
It's about time tennis became more fan friendly.

Brego
07-06-2005, 08:22 AM
YAY!!! I probably won't be there, but I'm happy for all the fans who will be! Good luck catching :)

norcal
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Now we will find out who the 'cool' players are. When they have a short overhead the cool guys will bounce it in the stands while the wankers will just angle it away...

Babblelot
07-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Yea! Long overdue.

...except, I'll never see a free ball from my seats (upper deck) :(

splink779
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Didn't see anything about shot-spot...

matchpoint
07-06-2005, 09:54 AM

That's actually a good question Noelle because after playing a couple of sets or a few hours, a new ball will have a different bounce compared to the ones that are already in use. Mixing balls with different bounce won't be good for a receiver especially in a serve and this could be exploited by a player. This is the primary reason why they did not give away balls before. Currently if they notice that the balls are worn out they replace them all at the same time to make sure that they all have the same bounce.

kicker75
07-06-2005, 10:33 AM
This is a tough one. As great as it is for fans to get a ball during match play, players hate the idea because they feel they will get inconsistent balls if "lost" balls are replaced with "new" balls. You can argue that you can increase the amount of balls put into play to cover any "lost" balls, but that too also creates a problem of consistency (the more balls in play the lower the consistency of all of them), and also what if someone smashes like 10 balls into the crowd before new balls are used and they start to run out of the balls in play. Personally, I think substituting live balls caught by fans with new "non-match play" balls would be the best thing to do, but to play devil's advocate on this point, this would cause delays for sure and also what if fans start disputing ownership of the ball?

I say keep it as it has always been. ...and it cheapens that last ball that most players wail into the stands when they win a match...which I believe you can keep.

diredesire
07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
This is a tough one. As great as it is for fans to get a ball during match play, players hate the idea because they feel they will get inconsistent balls if "lost" balls are replaced with "new" balls. You can argue that you can increase the amount of balls put into play to cover any "lost" balls, but that too also creates a problem of consistency (the more balls in play the lower the consistency of all of them), and also what if someone smashes like 10 balls into the crowd before new balls are used and they start to run out of the balls in play. Personally, I think substituting live balls caught by fans with new "non-match play" balls would be the best thing to do, but to play devil's advocate on this point, this would cause delays for sure and also what if fans start disputing ownership of the ball?

I say keep it as it has always been. ...and it cheapens that last ball that most players wail into the stands when they win a match...which I believe you can keep.

That's a valid, and interesting point you make. I agree that consistency will suffer from match to match depending on how many balls have been lost, but i imagine there is much more than enough balls in rotation at one point in time, that the balls would all seem pretty new no matter what point in the match (to a certain extent, of course). The pros are also allowed to choose the balls they want to hit with, so they might choose the newest ones in rotation and reject the bad ones, i'm sure they'll have plenty to choose from yet, although i would imagine many more balls will get lost due to this...

I also agree it cheapens that last one :(

Chadwixx
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
stupid idea. just like the new doubles format, the new color of the courts, and everything else these wwf rejects who now run the atp are trying.