PDA

View Full Version : US Open "Classic" match: Hewitt Vs Roddick 2001

spiderman123
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
The tennis channel was playing this match and got to go back 10 years in history.

1. Linesman's call was overruled by the umpire in the 4-5 game of fifth set and that set Roddick off, interesting to see that the umpire gave him a warning, it took them 10 years to give him the next warning. Roddick hit a clear winner in the next point and sarcastically asked if it was in, when umpire said 15 all, Roddick celebrated. (Irrespective of Roddick's reaction, my personal opinion was it was too close and far from the chair to overrule)

2. It was great to see Roddick's fearsome forehand.

3. Roddick looked like a kid, Hewitt looked the same. I think he was born just looking like that, with a cap.

4. Kim Clijsters was there in the stands cheering Lleyton.

5. This was 5 days before 9/11 in NYC. :chills:

juanparty
08-22-2011, 09:46 PM
and the comentator said Rodick-Hewiit were going to be the rivalry of the decade hahahaaha LMAO, that rivalry sucks, they never have been in the same tournament final hahahahaha.

Cormorant
08-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Watched this one on TV live, it was a relentless match and for excitement outsripped the Agassi/Sampras QF in my opinion.

Little did they know their match was a straight shootout for the title, as Kafelnikov and Sampras were virtual walkovers in their respective rounds.

tacou
08-23-2011, 05:18 AM
and the comentator said Rodick-Hewiit were going to be the rivalry of the decade hahahaaha LMAO, that rivalry sucks, they never have been in the same tournament final hahahahaha.

they've had some awesome matches...

SLD76
08-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Much as I think Roddick was an *** when he was younger, he was right, the ump had no business overruling that ball at that crucial stage of a match on the far side of the court.

thank god for hawkeye.

woodrow1029
08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I was a lineumpire during this match, and was on the right baseline when the overrule happened. At the time, I was just starting as a chair umpire and not really doing chairs at the US Open and I remember thinking, "Why the hell did he just overrule that? Even if he was right, why???"

vkartikv
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
the joachim johansson 2004 match was more of a classic than this one