PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Volkl or Yonex for my Wife

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
To preface, my wife is by no means a great tennis player but she really enjoys the sport. Currently I'm teaching her how to brush up on her strokes so she doesn't hit home runs over the fence all day. Currently she uses an LM Radical MP with some lead tape at 3 and 9 to help her with plow through and stability.

Today I let her try my newly received Volkl PB10 and she loved it. She also hit pretty well with it. What she loved most about it was the stability on off center shots but the racquet was a bit heavy for her. I'd like to get her a racquet that has the same stability and comfort of the PB10 but in a lighter frame.

Some that I have narrowed down to are:
Volkl PB10 Light
Yonex RDiS 100 Midplus
Yonex RDiS 300 Midplus
Yonex RQiS 2 Tour

If there are any other brands/racquets that you can recommend that would be awesome as well.

P.S. I know it's easy to say "Make her learn" or "Wait until she perfects her strokes," but she's really not willing to go that far. She just wants to have fun and use something like my PB10 but lighter. The main focus is stability on off-center hits.

TennisMaverick
08-23-2011, 01:49 AM
To preface, my wife is by no means a great tennis player but she really enjoys the sport. Currently I'm teaching her how to brush up on her strokes so she doesn't hit home runs over the fence all day. Currently she uses an LM Radical MP with some lead tape at 3 and 9 to help her with plow through and stability.

Today I let her try my newly received Volkl PB10 and she loved it. She also hit pretty well with it. What she loved most about it was the stability on off center shots but the racquet was a bit heavy for her. I'd like to get her a racquet that has the same stability and comfort of the PB10 but in a lighter frame.

Some that I have narrowed down to are:
Volkl PB10 Light
Yonex RDiS 100 Midplus
Yonex RDiS 300 Midplus
Yonex RQiS 2 Tour

If there are any other brands/racquets that you can recommend that would be awesome as well.

P.S. I know it's easy to say "Make her learn" or "Wait until she perfects her strokes," but she's really not willing to go that far. She just wants to have fun and use something like my PB10 but lighter. The main focus is stability on off-center hits.

PB 10 Mid or Midplus?

I will assume that it is the MP, and I would recommend the Volkl X6, especially since she is learning to brush-up the back of the ball. The London may be a good possibility as well.

michael valek
08-23-2011, 04:26 AM
i'd say Kneissl black star

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 05:05 AM
PB 10 Mid or Midplus?

I will assume that it is the MP, and I would recommend the Volkl X6, especially since she is learning to brush-up the back of the ball. The London may be a good possibility as well.

I have the PB10 Mid. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the X6 and London.

jbpick920
08-23-2011, 06:57 AM
I mean this may be a little off but what about the PB10 light. From personal experience I loved the PB9 also. But, and you probably already know this, the stability on the off center shots that she liked could easily be contributed to the heavier weight. So you may be in a little bit of a catch 22 there.

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 07:19 AM
I mean this may be a little off but what about the PB10 light. From personal experience I loved the PB9 also. But, and you probably already know this, the stability on the off center shots that she liked could easily be contributed to the heavier weight. So you may be in a little bit of a catch 22 there.

I thought of the weight being a contributing factor which is why I wanted to ask if there was anything lighter that gave the same type of stability. Doesn't necessarily have to have as much spin or speed, just something more forgiving and solid on off center shots.

jbpick920
08-23-2011, 07:46 AM
I liked the PB9 and felt like it game me some forgiveness. Also the Donnay dual core gold felt promising. I didnt really give it a fair shake though. I was trying to find a raquet on sale.

jbpick920
08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Which with the Gold I she will have to wail on the ball to get the depth she probably wants as it is an extremely low powered raquet.

zumzool
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I also suggest the Becker London. It has a similar soft flex that the PB10 mid has but in a lighter more forgiving frame. It's also very stable.

The PB9 will play quite a bit stiffer so the feel off the racquet will be considerably more different.

Fuji
08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
IF you don't mind doing some tinkering here is the frame my Girlfriend switched to!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_K_Factor_Kobra_Team_FX/descpageRCWILSON-KOBTM.html

Put some lead at 3 and 9 and your in business! It's buttery soft, and with it beefed up you can hit a really solid stable shot.

-Fuji

lwto
08-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Go with the Yonex Wasniaki racquet..the v core 100s.
I have been taking this racquet to the courts to allow others to demo it.. Everyone loves it, I have sold 3 this past week.

Just an easy easy racquet to play with.. check the TW review on it.

sansaephanh
08-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Rebel is pretty similar and has great plowthrough/flex.

counterpuncher
08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
The racquets you have listed are all good starting points along with the London. One other racquet worthy of consideration is the Pure Storm (tour version preferably) and also the Prince Exo 100 in something lighter. These are very forgiving on off-center shots and are very stable.

loosegroove
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Honestly I think she's just fine with the Head LM Radical. And I'd probably remove the lead tape at 3 & 9. At her skill level "plow through and stability" aren't the issue, it's hitting the sweet spot consistently and technique. It's not like you have her hitting with a granny stick. Removing the lead tape will make it easier to swing and create racket head speed, making it easier to brush up on the ball so she doesn't launch it. Maybe add a leather grip to make it more headlight.

EDIT: Just saw your PS that I somehow overlooked. Though I still stand by what I wrote. I think the LM Radical is pretty stable stock and most others in its weight class won't be an improvement. Though of course there will some that are better like I've heard great things about the stability of the DC London and Dunlop 200 Lite. Nonetheless I don't think it's really a gear thing, though people (myslef definitely included) like new *****.

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
The racquets you have listed are all good starting points along with the London. One other racquet worthy of consideration is the Pure Storm (tour version preferably) and also the Prince Exo 100 in something lighter. These are very forgiving on off-center shots and are very stable.

I had the Pure Storm Tour GT before I got my PB10 and when she tried it, she didn't like the way it felt. Also, it's a heavier racquet as well which is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the suggestion though.

RyKnocks
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Honestly I think she's just fine with the Head LM Radical. And I'd probably remove the lead tape at 3 & 9. At her skill level "plow through and stability" aren't the issue, it's hitting the sweet spot consistently and technique. It's not like you have her hitting with a granny stick. Removing the lead tape will make it easier to swing and create racket head speed, making it easier to brush up on the ball so she doesn't launch it. Maybe add a leather grip to make it more headlight.

She's getting better at brushing up on the ball and hits more shots into the net rather than over the fence. I've tried to get her to stick with her racquet but she really likes the plush feel of my PB10 so I wanna get her something similar.

Hint: If your wife enjoys tennis, then it makes it all that much enjoyable for yourself ;)

counterpuncher
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
If plush is what she likes and wants lighter than a PST, I'd recommend the London or EXO 100 (which my girlfriend loves).

RDiS 100 will not feel plush as it's more of crisp or stiff feel. A better option would be the RDiS 200 (or lite version) and I assume the RDiS 300, but I have not hit with that.

TennisMaverick
08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
I had the Pure Storm Tour GT before I got my PB10 and when she tried it, she didn't like the way it felt. Also, it's a heavier racquet as well which is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the suggestion though.

zumzool is 100% correct with regards to feel and the PB 10 Mid/London connection. It is the closest in the Volkl family to each other, and the London is a much better fit playing level wise.

Pneumated1
08-24-2011, 03:26 AM
zumzool is 100% correct with regards to feel and the PB 10 Mid/London connection. It is the closest in the Volkl family to each other, and the London is a much better fit playing level wise.

Was that V-1 I just picked up for my wife in a "quake-proof" package?:) That was a strange occurrence for us Va folk and I'm assuming much of the East Coast.

Pneumated1
08-24-2011, 03:28 AM
I also suggest the Becker London. It has a similar soft flex that the PB10 mid has but in a lighter more forgiving frame. It's also very stable.

The PB9 will play quite a bit stiffer so the feel off the racquet will be considerably more different.

Are you still hitting the Melbourne? I have my eye on it, so my wife may have a new PB V-1 and a few Londons to choose from eventually.

zumzool
08-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Are you still hitting the Melbourne? I have my eye on it, so my wife may have a new PB V-1 and a few Londons to choose from eventually.

I'm using both a leaded up PB10 Mid and the Becker Melbourne and trying to choose between the two. They both offer certain benefits and I just need to figure out which I prefer. The other day, I tried to pick up my beloved Yonex Super Rd Tour and after 5 minutes it was back in the bag.

max
08-24-2011, 05:59 AM
I'd start with the V-1.