PDA

View Full Version : Who is a future #1 in this current crop?

jakemcclain32
08-23-2011, 06:11 AM
I mean outside of the Top 3, who have all become #1.

Looking at the Top 10, you could say Monfils has a shot because he's #8, but he has to start believing he can be the best. It doesn't feel like he truly believes he can be the man, or he doesn't want to work at it, or whatever the reason may be. I'm not sure.

Maybe Fish has a tiny shot, considering he took out the World #2, and shook up #1, but he probably needs another whole year to an eighteen month run of this great tennis he's playing. That will be tough because he isn't a surprise anymore.

Berdych is real good, but he can get inconsistent.

Murray looks obvious if he gets his head together, but he cannot go out 3 and 1 in first rounds of 500 tourneys. He needs to get all the points he can.

Soderling has had a pretty nice year, but he has to make some noise at the Open this year.

So who do you guys think? And it doesn't have to necessarily be in the Top 10 either.

Tammo
08-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Berdych has all the firepower you can imagine, but like you said he is inconsistent at times.

Soderling IMO isn't going to stay top 5 much longer.

Murray has a fairly good shot, but still trails Federer by quite a few ponts.

PSNELKE
08-23-2011, 06:35 AM
JMDP cracks all of the named guys.
He beats the most dangerous one (Berdych) in every aspect, except of the serve.
TO assume that Tomas has more firepower than Juan, is just ridiculous.

President
08-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Looking at the Top 10, you could say Monfils has a shot because he's #8, but he has to start believing he can be the best. It doesn't feel like he truly believes he can be the man, or he doesn't want to work at it, or whatever the reason may be. I'm not sure.

Maybe Fish has a tiny shot, considering he took out the World #2, and shook up #1, but he probably needs another whole year to an eighteen month run of this great tennis he's playing. That will be tough because he isn't a surprise anymore.

Murray looks obvious if he gets his head together, but he cannot go out 3 and 1 in first rounds of 500 tourneys. He needs to get all the points he can.

Soderling has had a pretty nice year, but he has to make some noise at the Open this year.

So who do you guys think? And it doesn't have to necessarily be in the Top 10 either.

Are you serious about Fish:shock:, Soderling, Berdych being #1? There is no chance of that, they are all close to their full potential and are more than halfway through their careers (much more than halfway in the case of Fish). Monfils, if he radically changed his attitude and tactics, could possibly make a run at the top spot but that's extremely unlikely. Murray is the only one who I think will ever sit at the #1 spot.

jakemcclain32
08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
President, I said Fish would have to play this unreal tennis for a longer stretch, and he's not surprising anyone anymore.

Monfils isn't the only one that has to change. Murray has to also. He played a spent Djoker that had nothing left, and still got beat on winners. He has to take more chances.

SLD76
08-23-2011, 06:51 AM

monfils has zero chance.

Berdych, Tsonga and soderling, I believe because of their big muscular frames, they are most susceptible to injury and thus could not be #1.

Fish doesnt have enough weapons to consistently beat the top guys.

Basically the only one with a shot is Murray.

FedExpress 333
08-23-2011, 06:57 AM
What about JMDP?

ben123
08-23-2011, 07:03 AM
well jmdp is doubtful.

1. i didnt see him improving for the last few months, dunno if he ever can go back to his top form

2. you can never know whether these big guys stay injury free

my guess is that i have none lol its pretty random at the moment and everything here is just gossip

SLD76
08-23-2011, 07:08 AM
well jmdp is doubtful.

1. i didnt see him improving for the last few months, dunno if he ever can go back to his top form

2. you can never know whether these big guys stay injury free

exactly. he is in the same category as tsonga, berdych, soderling and isner, and querry.

Jeepers
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
The Dog.

veroniquem
08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Fish #1? Lol, good sense of humor...
Murray seems the only possible answer among the ones you mention.

bluescreen
08-23-2011, 07:23 AM
The only player in the top that has a chance at gaining the #1 spot for the first time is Murray. Delpo after that. The most likely #1's after that are still up-and-coming; guys like Dimitrov, Tomic, Raonic.

jakemcclain32
08-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I worry about Raonic when it comes to future injuries. Getting your hip fixed at that early of age is no joke.

SLD76
08-23-2011, 07:30 AM
delpo has no chance. I dont think his movement will ever be what it was in 2009. and you dont know how that wrist injury affected his swing and his power.

I dont think there will ever be a guy taller than 6'5 who will be #1

NadalAgassi
08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Fish has only a tiny shot to ever win a Masters given that playing the tennis of his life he couldnt even beat a **** poor Djokovic and an off Murray to win one. He has about as much chance to be #1 as my cat does.

The only current player who has never yet been #1 who MIGHT have a chance to ever reach #1 is Murray, and to a much lesser degree Del Potro. There is no chance in hell of Ferrer, Soderling, Berdych, Fish, Monfils, or Tsonga ever being #1. In fact there is almost no chance of any of these even winning a single slam at this point, although Tsonga and Monfils I give an outside shot to win one.

I give Cilic and Gulbis no chance to be #1 ever, they arent far enough into their development given their age for that. In fact only a small shot either of them win a slam as well.

Do Tomic, Raonic, Dimitrov, etc...have any chance to be #1 someday? I guess it is too early to tell for sure but I would be a bit surprised. Winning slams possibly, but being #1 probably not.

So beyond Murray any future #1s are probably players not even on tour yet, or that we barely know anything of right now. Del Potro is only a tiny chance of ever getting to #1 at this point, the way he is going now he might even never win another major. Guys like Tomic and Raonic are only tiny shots to ever reach #1 in the rankings too.

coloskier
08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Fish #1? Lol, good sense of humor...
Murray seems the only possible answer among the ones you mention.

If for no other reason than Murray will beat Fish consistently because of his return of serve. Mardy would have to be in God mode in a slam to beat Murray consistently. In a way, it is like Sampras/Agassi. On some courts, Murray will have the advantage, and on the super fast courts (which there are almost none) Fish will have the advantage. Back in the Sampras/Agassi era it was the other way around. Predominately fast courts with very few slow courts.

christos_liaskos
08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Can we just take a look at what it takes to be no1 for a minute here, in terms of results. In recent years the results you have needed have been absolutely ridiculous, domination type results, reaching the finals of almost every tournament you play and winning most of them. As a few have mentioned, the only person really who has a chance at being the next new no1is Murray, and although I'm one of his biggest fans and I think he has the abilities to win multiple slams hopefully, to have the consistency in results is something I'm not sure hes capable of. Even less so Del Potro.

I think the best chance those two to be no1 is if we go into a period like the early 2000's where the rankings points were spread out across a lot of players and a number of players getting a run at being no1.

Out of the young guys Tomic seems to be the only one who is capable of being really good. But to be no1 even he is doubtful because at his age most players who go on to be no1 are doing better than he is right now (look at where the top4 guys were at his age).

In conclusion I would say Murray is probably the only guy we currently know about who could get no1 if the level of domination at the very top (like in early 2000's) and it would maybe get swapped around by Rafa, Djok and Murray, and possibly Fed depending on how far away this period of time is going to be