PDA

View Full Version : Cheer for the player or the country?

Pacific3000
08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
It's exciting to see Fish going into USO with some momentum. I like watching matches with Americans more. My favorite players have all been from the U.S. (Sampras, Agassi, Roddick and Fish).

If an American was in the finals, the ratings would be MUCH higher than another Djokovic-Nadal match. Why? Because the typical American sports fan doesn't care about non-American athletes. I work in an office with almost 100 people, and there are exactly two people who watch tennis - and I'm one of them.

Tennis was MASSIVE in America in previous decades, but today, not so much. It's much more popular on an international scale. So, while it's good for American tennis that Fish and Roddick are in the top 15, no Americans have won a slam since 2003! If more Americans were winning slams, interest would be much higher in the U.S.

So, I gotta ask: Do you cheer for the player or the country?

jaggy
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
I look for British players and especially Scottish

norbac
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I also only cheer for Scottish players.

Beacon Hill
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Where a player is born has zero to do with me liking or disliking a tennis player (or anyone, for that matter). Who cares? People don't choose where they're born. It's no personal accomplishment being born somewhere. Way to go! You were born in the States! I choose favourite players by their personalities and the type of game they play. Blind loyalty based on nationalism hasn't really worked out that well in human history.

kishnabe
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I hope Fish does well....but this momentum might mean nothing if he loses in the second round. Though I see a QTR or Semi. But if reaches the Final....and the opponent isn't Djokovic. I give him a chance to win!

Winner_DownTheLine
08-23-2011, 03:37 PM
My Favs have been Sampras & Federer.

Mainad
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I look for British players and especially Scottish

When I look for British players, I only look for the Scottish ones! :wink:

Ben Hadd
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Cheer for the player, not the country. We're all from the same planet :)

PSNELKE
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Amen.

10 chars

Tony48
08-23-2011, 04:09 PM
The player.

I can't stand Roddick but I will root for Fish, Young and possibly Harrison

Mustard
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I always cheer the player. The country is an irrelevance to me.

MichaelNadal
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM

I agree, I like Roddick a lot but I don't care where someone is from.

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I cheer for the player unless it is during a davis cup tie.

FedExpress 333
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Where a player is born has zero to do with me liking or disliking a tennis player (or anyone, for that matter). Who cares? People don't choose where they're born. It's no personal accomplishment being born somewhere. Way to go! You were born in the States! I choose favourite players by their personalities and the type of game they play. Blind loyalty based on nationalism hasn't really worked out that well in human history.

Exactly That shows prejudice, racism deeply entwined into american culture (and I am an american!)

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Exactly That shows prejudice, racism deeply entwined into american culture (and I am an american!)

BS. People cheer for their countrymen all around the world. Why the hell did 140 million people in China watch Li Na at the french open? Why didn't as many people watch Federer and Nadal play in the final? Oh yeah, chinese people are racist jerks :roll:. Why do the majority of UK tennis fans cheer for Murray? Why do the french cheer for Gasquet, Monfils, and Tsonga? Why do Serbians have Djoko-fever?

Yeah, if Americans are prejudiced and racist than so are the Serbians, English, French, Chinese....

I am all for cheering for the player, but criticizing people for being racist simply because they cheer for their countrymen in sports is just pathetic.

Netzroller
08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Same here. Tennis is an individual sport and and it should be treated as one.
(besides, cheering for German ATP Pro's isn't lots of fun these days anyways...)

But the truth is that it does matter a lot to the majority of the people, as you can easily see in the popularity of the sport in different countries. Therefore I am happy if players from my country do well, because it leads to my favorite sport gaining more attention and being shown on TV more frequently.... So yeah, overall I am somewhat cheering for players from my country:)

Netzroller
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
That's really not only an American phenomenon

d4o
08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
I route for myself, for the player, nor country they represent are any of my concern.

fundrazer
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Always the players, country doesn't matter for me. Although, I do happen to like a lot of Croats... In regards to this country, well, who cares if they watch tennis or not. It's their loss

slice bh compliment
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I am an American who loves college tennis and Davis Cup. I usually root for Americans in a Davis Cup tie. In college tennis, it does not matter for me (but maybe i favor the conference I played in and the schools of my friends).

Really, I'm for the player with the more versatile game, the guy with the sweet one-hander, the underdog, the guy who's been down on his luck, the one society has oppressed the most, and the one with the greater love for the sea.

After those variables, may the best man win.
Oh, and if a black dude is playing guy from an imperialist honky land (or Japan), I get a little racist (everybody's a little racist) and I just naturally root for the brotha. Sorry whitey.

FedExpress 333
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
BS. People cheer for their countrymen all around the world. Why the hell did 140 million people in China watch Li Na at the french open? Why didn't as many people watch Federer and Nadal play in the final? Oh yeah, chinese people are racist jerks :roll:. Why do the majority of UK tennis fans cheer for Murray? Why do the french cheer for Gasquet, Monfils, and Tsonga? Why do Serbians have Djoko-fever?

Yeah, if Americans are prejudiced and racist than so are the Serbians, English, French, Chinese....

I am all for cheering for the player, but criticizing people for being racist simply because they cheer for their countrymen in sports is just pathetic.

I agree,but I have noticed, going to foreign countries (barring China) that that type of support is much less.

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree,but I have noticed, going to foreign countries (barring China) that that type of support is much less.

No it is just as strong and in some places it is worse than it is in the U.S.

Last year Federer lost to Aisam Qureshi in doubles match in Basel. Knowing full well that Federer is my favorite player, one of my pakistani coworkers starts bragging about how "Pakistani Legend" kicked Federer's ***. :lol: :lol: I feel bad that I had to put him in his place by telling him it was a doubles matches that Federer couldn't give a backhand-shank about.

Also, do you watch the French Open? Classy crowd, huh? They act like wild animals everytime Monfils plays and starts performing his circus acts ( break dancing, full body dives, jump smashed).

rossi46
08-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Becker, Sampras, Nalbandian, Safin, Federer, Gonzalez and Philippoussis. So other than the Aussie in this mix, player for me is more important than country.

rossi46
08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I am an American who loves college tennis and Davis Cup. I usually root for Americans in a Davis Cup tie. In college tennis, it does not matter for me (but maybe i favor the conference I played in and the schools of my friends).

Really, I'm for the player with the more versatile game, the guy with the sweet one-hander, the underdog, the guy who's been down on his luck, the one society has oppressed the most, and the one with the greater love for the sea.

After those variables, may the best man win.
Oh, and if a black dude is playing guy from an imperialist honky land (or Japan), I get a little racist (everybody's a little racist) and I just naturally root for the brotha. Sorry whitey.

Can you really outdo the us when it comes to imperialism ???

FedExpress 333
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
No it is just as strong and in some places it is worse than it is in the U.S.

Last year Federer lost to Aisam Qureshi in doubles match in Basel. Knowing full well that Federer is my favorite player, one of my pakistani coworkers starts bragging about how "Pakistani Legend" kicked Federer's ***. :lol: :lol: I feel bad that I had to put him in his place by telling him it was a doubles matches that Federer couldn't give a backhand-shank about.

Also, do you watch the French Open? Classy crowd, huh? They act like wild animals everytime Monfils plays and starts performing his circus acts ( break dancing, full body dives, jump smashed).

LOL but Aisam DID play very good in that match.

Pacific3000
08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
The player.

I can't stand Roddick but I will root for Fish, Young and possibly Harrison

Harrison is fun to watch - might have some serious game.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-24-2011, 01:43 PM
I cheer for the player who plays a style of tennis that i love and appreciate as a former player myself.

I also cheer for my countrymen.

But if my favourite player is playing a countryman...Lets say Federer vs Soderling...I root for Federer.

Pacific3000
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Always the players, country doesn't matter for me. Although, I do happen to like a lot of Croats... In regards to this country, well, who cares if they watch tennis or not. It's their loss

I care, because more people watching leads to better ratings, more coverage, more popularity for American tennis.

Tennis is my favorite sport. There is nothing as exciting as a Sat. night match at the U.S. Open with the crowd going wild... but I don't share that excitement with my friends. They all like football :confused:

Gizo
08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
For me style of play and personality are far more important than nationality. I cannot blindly support a player regardless of their playing style or personality, just because they come from the same country as me. Also apart from when players participate in the Davis Cup/World Team Cup/Olympics, they are not representing their country, they are only representing themselves.

Pacific3000
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM

No need to apologize, you're probably the ONLY fan Donald Young has. Ha, ha...