PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in New Haven

FedEx23
08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I didn't see it. I was at the New Haven Open today watching the beginning of Jelena Jankovic vs. Elena Vesnina when all of a sudden I felt that my seat in the upper deck was shaking. I asked my mom if we were moving and she said "someone is probably shaking the seat." I said, "I think we're having an earthquake." "No we're not," she said. All of a sudden, everyone starts looking around and a murmur goes through the crowd and everyone starts running up the aisle to get out of there. It was a long way to safety as we had to go up a narrow staircase, walk along the pathway, and back down another two flights of stairs to get to steady ground. People were pretty calm but obviously a little startled. The building was clearly shaking during what was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake from the Virginia/D.C. area.

Meanwhile I see Jelena and Elena shrugging and looking confused as the whole crowded quickly leaves the stadium. Vesnina said in her post-match interview that she didn't feel anything and didn't know what had happened. Anyway, there was a two hour delay for inspectors and firemen to check out the structure and deem it safe for tennis use. We hung out right outside the stadium as I found out from Facebook and Twitter that this was indeed an earthquake. News spread pretty fast and people relaxed and started laughing and talking with complete strangers. It was actually a fun atmosphere once we all felt we were safe again. Later, we were entertained in the food court by Mike and Bob Bryan's dad, who is a funny guy. It was a really surreal experience and something you'd never expect in Connecticut, or the East for that matter.

Was anyone else there at the New Haven Open (formerly Pilot Pen)?

Fedace
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
It was felt all the way in Canada.

8PAQ
08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
It was felt all the way in Canada.

How come you didn't post a pic of Federer crying?

veroniquem
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I am near NYC and my house shook too for several seconds. Glad that everybody was safe in the stadium. Murray twitted about it from the USO.