PDA

View Full Version : Nadal will be on Letterman Tomorrow night

davey
08-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Letterman will probably have him hitting tennis balls at taxicabs.

Clarky21
08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Disaster in the making.

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to see this.

BreakPoint
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Are you sure? I don't see Nadal listed on any of the online TV guides.

Semi-Pro
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I hope not, for Nadal's sake.

AhmedD
08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
He really doesn't need this before the US Open, really....usually I'd be OK if he does this after winning a slam because, you know, pressure is off. If it was Federer or Djokovic I wouldn't mind, Federer is really good with these sorts off things, Djokovic is funny and keeps cool. Nadal is too fragile at the moment.

Crisstti
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
He really doesn't need this before the US Open, really....usually I'd be OK if he does this after winning a slam because, you know, pressure is off. If it was Federer or Djokovic I wouldn't mind, Federer is really good with these sorts off things, Djokovic is funny and keeps cool. Nadal is too fragile at the moment.

I really don't see what harm it could do to him.

I think it's great actually. Love his interviews :).

MichaelNadal
08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Disaster in the making.

Nah Rafa is hilarious in interviews and stuff. I know you think he doesn't speak any more english than a fortune cookie, but it's not like that at all.

kishnabe
08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Letterman will be all over him like last year!

davey
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Are you sure? I don't see Nadal listed on any of the online TV guides.

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/show_info/this_weeks_guests.php

davey
08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, Letterman thinks Nadal is the Babolat demo racket rep....

850beast
08-23-2011, 09:04 PM

LoL maybe nadal is announcing a new line on leterman.

Crisstti
08-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Nah Rafa is hilarious in interviews and stuff. I know you think he doesn't speak any more english than a fortune cookie, but it's not like that at all.

Yeah, Clarky's assessment of Rafa's English skills is a little bizarre ;)

Rafa is always sweet and funny in his interviews. I'm sure he will do fine.

sjam316
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM

LOL after seeing how he's listed I'm definitely more inclined to tune in. It doesn't seem like it will be just a regular interview.

Big_Dangerous
08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
LoL maybe nadal is announcing a new line on leterman.

Can't imagine Nadal without the Aero Pro, I mean how many rec level players do you see at the club with that racket? Some of you guys that post here probably use it as well. Seems like Nadal does really well to sell that line. I can't imagine he's introducing a new line of rackets.

Sentinel
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Wasn't Noel with Jay Leno or something a couple weeks back ?

veroniquem
08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
He's doing some promotion for his book me think.
He will also autograph it at Barnes and Noble on 5th ave on Saturday.

MichaelNadal
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
He's doing some promotion for his book me think.
He will also autograph it at Barnes and Noble on 5th ave on Saturday.

Wish I was up there for that.

veroniquem
08-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Ah can't you make the trip? I bet there's a train. North Carolina is not so far... By the way did you feel the earthquake where you are?

MichaelNadal
08-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Ah can't you make the trip? I bet there's a train. North Carolina is not so far... By the way did you feel the earthquake where you are?

I wish I could but it's too far and I work too much.

Some friends say they did, I didn't feel anything at all. I saw vids though it looked crazy.

veroniquem
08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Seeing Rafa definitely sounds more fun than working.
You have to work on week-ends? That's a drag :(

rommil
08-23-2011, 10:40 PM
It's not farfetched to say there will some kind of injury they will be talking about in the interview:(..............Ughh, the physical beast that Rafa is.

monfed
08-23-2011, 11:03 PM
It's not farfetched to say there will some kind of injury they will be talking about in the interview:(..............Ughh, the physical beast that Rafa is.

Not a stretch at all. :lol:

BreakPoint
08-23-2011, 11:35 PM
http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/show_info/this_weeks_guests.php
Oops....I thought you meant tonight. :oops:

mnm
08-24-2011, 01:11 AM
He can't speak english during press conferences.. which is laid back. Now he will probably be nervous, it's gonna be a blast to see him... "I AM RAFA, YOU ARE DAVID, HELLO".

tennis_pro
08-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Nadal is the last person who can contribute to the show. It's gonna be lame.

beast of mallorca
08-24-2011, 01:55 AM

Then don't watch it.

tennis_pro
08-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Then don't watch it.

I will just to see how lame it is.

Crisstti
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Seeing Rafa definitely sounds more fun than working.
You have to work on week-ends? That's a drag :(

So you're gonna go?.

ben123
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
He can't speak english during press conferences.. which is laid back. Now he will probably be nervous, it's gonna be a blast to see him... "I AM RAFA, YOU ARE DAVID, HELLO".

lmao :lol:

vkartikv
08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
letterman is not funny at all. none of the late night guys are, except for colbert and stewart.

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
So you're gonna go?.

If I can. I have a family trip to Pennsylvania planned this week-end. But my daughter is sick and with Irene looming as well, we may cancel it. I will definitely go if I can.

Ronaldo
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Top Ten reasons why Rafa should be a guest on Letterman.

Hood_Man
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM

http://thesestreets.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/farsidetarzan22.gif

...if anyone feels up to it, search for "me tarzan you jane cartoon" on google images.

You'll be in for a pretty unpleasant, if predictable surprise... :|

[EDIT]

Oops, quoted the wrong person :oops:

jerriy
08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Letterman will be all over him like last year!

Wat last year?

Nadal's never been @ Letterman or the other big late nite talkshows, certainly not last year. He's only been to the daytime talkshows after he won a few slams (Regis, etc).

Crisstti
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
If I can. I have a family trip to Pennsylvania planned this week-end. But my daughter is sick and with Irene looming as well, we may cancel it. I will definitely go if I can.

Well, I hope you can :). What about the USO?.

jerriy
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Top Ten reasons why Rafa should be a guest on Letterman.

№ 1 reason: beat up Ashton Kutcher (the other guest on that day)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Letterman will probably have him hitting tennis balls at taxicabs.

Who will translate it into English!?

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
(answering Crisstti) The USO is too expensive ouch. My husband doesn't know long he's gonna stay employed :(
I would have gone to the qualif this week but my daughter has strep and needs TLC.
Oh well, I'll watch every match on TV. You can count on me for that :)

CMM
08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
I am on my way to the Letterman show, let's see how it goes.... Not sure my English is the best but will give my best try. Hope he'll be nice to me!

http://www.facebook.com/Nadal/posts/10150282542736026

Clarky21
08-24-2011, 01:13 PM
http://www.facebook.com/Nadal/posts/10150282542736026

He even admits his English isn't really good enough to go on Letterman. I hope he doesn't stammer and stutter through it. I really do wish he were more fluent. It would help him a ton.

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Poor Rafa, worrying about his english. I sympathize a lot, they speak so fast with a lot of puns. As a non native speaker and despite being more fluent than Rafa, I would be quite scared as well.

Crisstti
08-24-2011, 01:25 PM
(answering Crisstti) The USO is too expensive ouch. My husband doesn't know long he's gonna stay employed :(
I would have gone to the qualif this week but my daughter has strep and needs TLC.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure you'll enjoy it nonetheless :).

He even admits his English isn't really good enough to go on Letterman. I hope he doesn't stammer and stutter through it. I really do wish he were more fluent. It would help him a ton.

He's just being self-conscious about it... he will be fine. At most he'll have to ask for a question to be repeated, like he sometimes does.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Im joking about his English skills a lot...

Although i have to admit that i HAVE SEEN interviews with him and felt a bit sorry for him and finding myself sitting trying to help him with the word he is looking for.

Is it the Mallorcan accent that prevents him from speaking good English? Tommy Robredo speaks pretty good, Verdasco decent, Ferrer...well...not that good.

What surprises me is that Djokovic speaks so good English since he is Serbian and also lived a couple of years in Germany.

El Diablo
08-24-2011, 01:31 PM
isss fantastic!!!

batz
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Im joking about his English skills a lot...

Although i have to admit that i HAVE SEEN interviews with him and felt a bit sorry for him and finding myself sitting trying to help him with the word he is looking for.

Is it the Mallorcan accent that prevents him from speaking good English? Tommy Robredo speaks pretty good, Verdasco decent, Ferrer...well...not that good.

What surprises me is that Djokovic speaks so good English since he is Serbian and also lived a couple of years in Germany.

How come Scandinavian people speak such good English TMOP?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
How come Scandinavian people speak such good English TMOP?

Thank you.

I guess our accent is very neutral, unlike for example the Dutch,German,French or Eastern Europe who i think are very "hard" accents?

And we also begin to study English in 4th grade (10 years old) and study it all the way up until you graduate Swedish high school at 19.

CDestroyer
08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I will just to see how lame it is.

Me to. He is a human gaffe machine.

Tammo
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
It is tonight, no?

pound cat
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
It is tonight, no?

What night is to-night? Anyone? Wednesday?

pound cat
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
It will be on youtube anyway.

flyinghippos101
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Letterman's show is lame enough as it is. It'll be business as usual, just with Rafa.

letterman is not funny at all. none of the late night guys are, except for colbert and stewart.

Conan can make me giggle but I agree, Letterman is the worst of them all.

Crisstti
08-24-2011, 04:04 PM
What night is to-night? Anyone? Wednesday?

I'm guessing it will be about now?. Rafa posted he was going there already...

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
It was already recorded but it will be on TV at 11:30pm.

Crisstti
08-24-2011, 04:19 PM
It was already recorded but it will be on TV at 11:30pm.

Ah, thanks Vero, I thought those things were live. What channel is it on?

ALL IN
08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Disaster in the making.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Besides your opinions that Murray will be a slam winner, which is actually quite possible.

Clarky21
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Besides your opinions that Murray will be a slam winner, which is actually quite possible.

You know,this obsession you seem to have with everything I post is starting to get really weird. You are a bully,picking on every single word I write. I think you should stop replying to my posts. You are bizarre,and I have had enough.

Oh,and singling me out for being negative on this board full of negativity,a lot of it way worse than anything I post,is laughable. Why didn't you single out any of the other posts in this thread that think the same way I do about this subject? Just ignore me,and I will do the same to you.

ALL IN
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
You know,this obsession you seem to have with everything I post is starting to get really weird. You are a bully,picking on every single word I write. I think you should stop replying to my posts. You are bizarre,and I have had enough.

Oh,and singling me out for being negative on this board full of negativity,a lot of it way worse than anything I post,is laughable. Just ignore me,and I will do the same to you.

I prefer to observe positive perspectives and your negativity consistently stood out and I called you out on it a few times. I will continue to do so as long as I please as you can keep posting your misery as you please. :)

sureshs
08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Rafa will endure that nasty idiot Letterman in order to push his autobiography. This must have been in the contract he signed with the publisher.

ALL IN
08-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Oh,and singling me out for being negative on this board full of negativity,a lot of it way worse than anything I post,is laughable. Why didn't you single out any of the other posts in this thread that think the same way I do about this subject? Just ignore me,and I will do the same to you.

If I cared enough and wanted to devote the time I could probably address many of your type here on the board. I may or may not do so in the future but today you stood out in my threads of interest. Tomorrow it might be someone else. Today is your lucky day.

And BTW, cheer up. This is a beautiful sport and we are blessed to be able to watch this incredible era with so many incredible players. Your hate blinds you to the big picture and pollutes the boards for us who truly enjoy the sport at this level and all its participants.

Homeboy Hotel
08-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Subtitles guy will have a seriously tough time tomorrow.

PSNELKE
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Lol Letterman is a d0uche, he will take the mickey out of Ralph. :lol:

Cant wait to see it. This is gonna be hilarious.

West Coast Ace
08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Rafa will endure that nasty idiot Letterman in order to push his autobiography. This must have been in the contract he signed with the publisher.+1. Another case of 'what people will do to sell books.'

DRII
08-24-2011, 04:58 PM
If I cared enough and wanted to devote the time I could probably address many of your type here on the board. I may or may not do so in the future but today you stood out in my threads of interest. Tomorrow it might be someone else. Today is your lucky day.

And BTW, cheer up. This is a beautiful sport and we are blessed to be able to watch this incredible era with so many incredible players. Your hate blinds you to the big picture and pollutes the boards for us who truly enjoy the sport at this level and all its participants.

You fed him Clarky, now he will always come back for more!

cc0509
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

He'll be just fine on Letterman. There are other things in life for Nadal besides tennis.

Guests know what questions they will be asked before they tape the show in front of a live audience. You think they just go out there unprepared on one of the most popular talk shows ever? They have staff at Letterman who go over the questions with Nadal and Nadal's PR team beforehand. If Nadal and his PR team don't agree with a question it will not be asked. This is professional tv, not some fly by night program.

No worries.

Lemoned
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago, they called Leno was the worst late night show host, now I see it's Letterman's turn. :lol:

TheMagicianOfPrecision, Robredo also speaks French quite well.

JeMar
08-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Ouch, sorry about that. I hope things get better. :[

cc0509
08-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Do you not understand the questions are pre-prepared? I don't understand people. The guests do not go out and talk to Letterman without preparation. They know exactly what they will be asked. Nadal will be fine.

Clarky21
08-24-2011, 05:12 PM

You fed him Clarky, now he will always come back for more!

He may come back for more,but I won't respond to him. No worries.

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Letterman is very cool...a real lover of anything New York, pumpin' the US Open and the hoopla. He had some fun with Isner/Mahut when the longest-running match hit the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgAwpthxys

And found another interesting interview with Federer in 2005 after he'd won his sixth Grand Slam - the US Open, of course...already Fed was being called the potential GOAT, even with Sampras ahead of him with 14. Letterman had a pretty straightforward chat with him then.

http://www.tennisperspective.com/2011/02/flashback-federer-does-letterman-2005.html

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Pics of Kutcher and Nadal arriving on the Letterman set...Kutcher's definitely got some kinda beatnik thing going on...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/fkGCvp55Xvf/Ashton+Kutcher+Rafael+Nadal+Arrive+David+Letterman/17Ut3TP3NNT

cc0509
08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Pics of Kutcher and Nadal arriving on the Letterman set...Kutcher's definitely got some kinda beatnik thing going on...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/fkGCvp55Xvf/Ashton+Kutcher+Rafael+Nadal+Arrive+David+Letterman/17Ut3TP3NNT

Good lord, WTH is Kutcher wearing? He looks awful. Don't get the appeal of Kutcher, plus he is a terrible actor.

Nadal looks cute though.

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Good lord, WTH is Kutcher wearing? He looks awful. Don't get the appeal of Kutcher, plus he is a terrible actor.

Nadal looks cute though.

Kutcher's funny in the camera ads, but enough said on his latest getup...

kishnabe
08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I hope I can catch this on the internet. Only Leno(stupid clown) is avaliable on my broadcast.

At least Conan and Letterman(somewhat out of his understanding) are great.

Nadal english would be entertaining to see...

cc0509
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Kutcher's funny in the camera ads, but enough said on his latest getup...

Nothing matches and his jacket is all rumpled. What is with that stupid bow tie? Plus, the hair? Just, NO!!!! :confused:

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Nothing matches and his jacket is all rumpled. What is with that stupid bow tie? Plus, the hair? Just, NO!!!! :confused:

LOL.........

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Ah, thanks Vero, I thought those things were live. What channel is it on?

CBS.
Thanks JeMar.

flyinghippos101
08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Rafa will endure that nasty idiot Letterman in order to push his autobiography. This must have been in the contract he signed with the publisher.

Or maybe he'll cap off his boring show by making Rafa read off yet another of his unfunny top 10 lists.

Ronaldo
08-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Nadal looks cute though.

Kutcher needs a classy look, http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkyivlpxUA1qfajz0o1_500.jpg

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Kutcher needs a classy look, http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkyivlpxUA1qfajz0o1_500.jpg

love that lebron...:)

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2011, 08:25 PM

I wonder if he is ****ed off that Djokovic stole his nickname.

cc0509
08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Or maybe he'll cap off his boring show by making Rafa read off yet another of his unfunny top 10 lists.

When Letterman started his own talk show first on NBC and then CBS he was the coolest and funniest thing going in those days. He is very clever and witty.

Not sure how his show is now as I don't watch it as much as I used to years ago, but, he was "the" talk show host for years and years.

Outbeyond
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I wonder if he is ****ed off that Djokovic stole his nickname.

Nah...LeBron's the true King.:twisted:

Ronaldo
08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Nah...LeBron's the true King.:twisted:

Even Kobe knows.........http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/lebron_james_kobe_bryant.jpg

cc0509
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
That was the shortest Letterman appearance I have ever seen. If you blink you will miss Nadal.

Stupid. They did not even discuss the new book. Letterman just held up the book and said it was Nadal's new book.

Strange.

Ronaldo
08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
That was the shortest Letterman appearance I have ever seen. If you blink you will miss Nadal.

Stupid. They did not even discuss the new book. Letterman just held up the book and said it was Nadal's new book.

Strange.

Shoulda had Letterman hit a ball into the balcony and a body fall over the railing. Or not.

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Rafa can't discuss his book, he didn't write it :)

I love shy Rafa. He was totally adorable on that show and Letterman was nice for once.

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
That was such a bad interview.

cc0509
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Rafa can't discuss his book, he didn't write it :)

I love shy Rafa. He was totally adorable on that show and Letterman was nice for once.

LOL.........

Ronaldo
08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

That was one of Letterman's best. Rafa, not this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuO75_hJgCQ

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I love how Rafa is so childlike and vulnerable looking that it brought the fatherly vibe out of usually sarcastic meanie Letterman. You could tell he felt compelled to be protective in that one. Just too cute.

MichaelNadal
08-24-2011, 10:24 PM

I didn't see it, what happened?

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Nothing crazy. Rafa just smiled and answered all of Letterman's questions with as little detail as possible. The entire interview was done within minutes and Rafa and David just got up and started hitting tennis balls into the crowd as the show wound down. It felt like Nadal was a low priority guest, because Letterman spent like 15 minutes talking to Ashton Kutcher and then quickly interviewed Nadal in 1/3 of time.

Clarky21
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Nothing crazy. Rafa just smiled and answered all of Letterman's questions with as little detail as possible. The entire interview was done within minutes and Rafa and David just got up and started hitting tennis balls into the crowd as the show wound down. It felt like Nadal was a low priority guest, because Letterman spent like 15 minutes talking to Ashton Kutcher and then quickly interviewed Nadal in 1/3 of time.

Yeah,but how is Letterman going to banter with Nadal with the language barrier between them? He had to ask generic questions because he had no choice. I knew it would be junk and it was.

veroniquem
08-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Nothing. It was very charming. Rafa all smiles but very shy as usual.

kelawai
08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Luckily Nadal is not on Leno lame show. Otherwise its going to be boring. Leno will ask stupid questions for sure and make fun of guest who's not fluent in English.

LuvTheGame
08-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Rafa was really good tonight on The Late Show. Not easy to handle oneself on Letterman's show. As host Letterman was quite gracious - obviously recognizing that Rafa's English though improving, it's still his second language.

The discussion covered the US Open, Rivalry with Federer, new Biography, and Spain. At the end they got up from the set and both hit tennis balls into the audience. Audience was delighted of course.

Rafa prompted a good laugh from the audience, responding to David Letterman's question (I am paraphrasing here) "Is it good to compete with Federer and to have a rivalry him...does it help to improve your game?" Rafa answered by saying "Well...actually sometimes it is good when he is not there!"
:)

Bravo Rafa, well done!

kiwiconman
08-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Just watched the interview. What really cracked me up was towards the end when Dave brought out two of Rafa's APDs to hit balls into the crowd and he asked him if he makes his own racquets and Rafa said no. And then Dave asked him what Babolat is and Rafa said "It's the brand" :)

CMM
08-25-2011, 12:48 AM
It wasn't that bad. It's just really weird to see what a shy and smiley person Rafa is off court compared to the way he acts during the matches. It's like two different people.

fantom
08-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Wow. Djokovic is even beating Nadal off of the tennis court now. His appearances on Conan and Leno a few wks ago were pretty funny.

namelessone
08-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Just watched the interview. What really cracked me up was towards the end when Dave brought out two of Rafa's APDs to hit balls into the crowd and he asked him if he makes his own racquets and Rafa said no. And then Dave asked him what Babolat is and Rafa said "It's the brand" :)

Seriously?

What a moron.

It's like asking a football player if he made his own boots.

Emet74
08-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah,but how is Letterman going to banter with Nadal with the language barrier between them? He had to ask generic questions because he had no choice. I knew it would be junk and it was.

It's not Rafa's fault the questions were so lame; the best part was when he talked about the Mallorquin language as opposed to Spanish.

But Dave's folks clearly did no research and put no thought into this; not a single question about the book, idiotic questions about tennis like how many rounds you have to play in a GS, and asking about the Fedal rivalry as if Djoko didn't exist.

He asked better questions of Fed the year he was on; about his youthful temper, about hitting tennis balls all over the house when he was a kid. Not great, but a bit more effort.

mike84
08-25-2011, 06:59 AM
typical garbage Letterman interview

ask something stupid and then freeze still and wait for crowd to laugh

that part about rafa's racquet brand really ???

about language ???

not a word about the book .....

Hood_Man
08-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Just seen in on youtube (CLICK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrz8y5tLvo)).

I thought it was pretty bad, it was like Letterman thought he was introducing Nadal to the world. He asked nothing, literally nothing interesting. "What does Babolat mean?" Ugh...

Not that I was expecting an in-depth personal interview from a comedy chat show host, but this was pretty awkward.

[EDIT]

God I wish Michael Parkinson was still on TV. His form was slipping towards the end but he was still able to get people talking about things that mattered to them.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Wow, Nadal was just awful. All he did was smile stupidly at the start of every question. He has no personality whatsoever. They didn't even talk about his book. Nadal is an embarrassment to tennis PR.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
(Are you kidding? Letterman didn't even bring up the book [apart from when he introduced Nadal]. Did you expect Nadal to make up his own questions to ask himself? :lol: Nadal answered every question as though it was his first language, flawlessly and humbly. This is why people like Nadal more than Djokovic. One is very humble)

Letterman is a seasoned veteran. He didn't bring up the book because Nadal was a lousy interview. Dave makes the final call on these things despite what may have been practiced in the pre-interview. Nadal was flawless? LOL, yeah right, sure he was flawless if the answer to every damn question is "fantastic" and "for sure, no". LOL. The guy is a total joke and it has nothing to do with his english. It's his personality. He has none.

Lemoned
08-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Seriously?

What a moron.

It's like asking a football player if he made his own boots.

typical garbage Letterman interview

ask something stupid and then freeze still and wait for crowd to laugh

that part about rafa's racquet brand really ???

about language ???

not a word about the book .....
Ashton Kutcher
(Two and a Half Men)

Rafael Nadal
(Babolat Tennis Racquets)

I guess this explains it all. Certainly they could have done it more subtle way though.

dominikk1985
08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow, Nadal was just awful. All he did was smile stupidly at the start of every question. He has no personality whatsoever. They didn't even talk about his book. Nadal is an embarrassment to tennis PR.

I think he did pretty well by his standard. you are right that he is a boring personality but he improved over the last years,

letterman is terrible though, he should have beaned him when they played tennis:D.

Power Player
08-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Why does bullzi11a use parentheses to type a message?

Is everything an afterthought to you?

Mainad
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Looking at the clip,I thought it was pretty harmless,light-hearted stuff. Nadal's English is too limited to give full,detailed answers to things and I could see Letterman feeding him lots of easy questions he could answer.

A bit surprised to hear Rafa answer '6' when he was asked how many matches you had to play to win the US Open. Guess he forgot that there are no first-round byes in Slams!

CDestroyer
08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Letterman is a seasoned veteran. He didn't bring up the book because Nadal was a lousy interview. Dave makes the final call on these things despite what may have been practiced in the pre-interview. Nadal was flawless? LOL, yeah right, sure he was flawless if the answer to every damn question is "fantastic" and "for sure, no". LOL. The guy is a total joke and it has nothing to do with his english. It's his personality. He has none.

Too much time at home with mom and dad at age 25. He is a sheltered, repressed baby.

jackson vile
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Another guy people hate one, when will the hate stop!

kchau
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Looking at the clip,I thought it was pretty harmless,light-hearted stuff. Nadal's English is too limited to give full,detailed answers to things and I could see Letterman feeding him lots of easy questions he could answer.

A bit surprised to hear Rafa answer '6' when he was asked how many matches you had to play to win the US Open. Guess he forgot that there are no first-round byes in Slams!

no, he said 6 to get to the final.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
(Wow, you are posting without seeing the interview. And you don't seem to be aware that Letterman doesn't rehearse his interviews, and often doesn't research his guests. No point discussing with you something you know nothing about :lol:)

I saw the interview in full. It was an embarrassment to the sport of tennis. Letterman has written on his card what is planned to be done. He decided not to plug the book at the end because Rafa was a dud. He often does that with interviews that were not going anywhere.

jackson vile
08-25-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrz8y5tLvo

This was really great, not funny like Novak. But you have to be you and do your own thing, Novak is king of comedy LOL Where is Federer?

veroniquem
08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow. Djokovic is even beating Nadal off of the tennis court now. His appearances on Conan and Leno a few wks ago were pretty funny.

Djoko is more of a showman, so he's more comfortable with that kind of shows. His English is also better. Rafa is naturally shy but also doesn't master English as well, so he was understandably tense. He's warm and charming though. I find him very pleasant to watch and listen to.

OddJack
08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I liked Nadal in that show. Such nice looking, innocent, cute boy.

Mainad
08-25-2011, 09:15 AM
no, he said 6 to get to the final.

Okay...my mistake.Thanks.

feetofclay
08-25-2011, 09:15 AM

It's Djokovic whose the embarrassment. His juvenile humour has to resort to innuendo and smutty jokes in an effort to appear funny and to to gain popularity. Nadal has no need of any of that , he just has to be his charming self. Neither does Djokovic have full understanding of english. Here is a little entry from his twitter,
"I had a tough match tonight against Monfils, but i pooled it through."
Did they play underwater?

Lemoned
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
It's Djokovic whose the embarrassment. His juvenile humour has to resort to innuendo and smutty jokes in an effort to appear funny and to to gain popularity. Nadal has no need of any of that , he just has to be his charming self. Neither does Djokovic have full understanding of english. Here is a little entry from his twitter,
Because making a typo is like committing a serious crime!!!!! :evil:

Clarky21
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Well said. While I think Nadal could have been asked better questions on Letterman,at least he doesn't resort to this kind of horny tennage boy humor. Djokovic is a pathetic attention seeker and always has been.

CMM
08-25-2011, 10:00 AM

I thought he's a bully. :confused:

Lsmkenpo
08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
The appearance was for Babolat not really for Nadal. Letterman plays tennis he knew Nadal doesn't make his own racquets, that was just a silly way to focus some attention on the racquet brand without making it obvious. Letterman knew exactly what he was doing acting ignorant on purpose.

It was also stupid for them to imply that Nadal doesn't get paid to use a Babolat racquet.

ViscaB
08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Letterman has never been an in-depth interviewer. It has always been a silly show for an audience who probably can't even point to Europe let alone Spain on a world map. Nadal is too down too earth for this stupidity. It's made for the Paris Hilton's of the world to overact.

jerriy
08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Would you posters stop BSing about language barrier?

Language has never been a barrier to comedy.

This is not the first time someone with a poor level of English appeared on the show.

If a person is really funny it will show despite lack of proficiency. Spanish actress Penelope Cruz and Selma Hayek are funny and it shows, especially in the past when their English was worse than now. In fact a person's lack of english ADDS to the comedy if that person is funny enough. But that's all too much to expect from Nadal. Heck even Djokovic is not as funny as he used to be. He is slipping.

cricketics
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think his English is that bad. It's more of that spanish accent.

Emet74
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrz8y5tLvo

This was really great, not funny like Novak. But you have to be you and do your own thing, Novak is king of comedy LOL Where is Federer?

Here he is :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RHsmPnq6k

Some classic Federisms "i was always well coordinated" etc but did ok overall and got some laughs from the audience. Dave seemed better-prepared too.

OddJack
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I thought he's a bully. :confused:

his on court behavior is quite different with off court, you know

Crisstti
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
That was adorable :). He looked so nervous getting in, lol.

He could have asked him about the book though... and he wasked hiim how long he was going to keep playing tennis, only to immediately ask him another question qithout letting him answer that :|

What was that about Rafa not getting paid to use Babolat?, surely he must get paid?.

I don’t really think so. I’ve seen some quite in depth interviews with him in English.

If a person is really funny it will show despite lack of proficiency. Spanish actress Penelope Cruz and Selma Hayek are funny and it shows, especially in the past when their English was worse than now. In fact a person's lack of english ADDS to the comedy if that person is funny enough. But that's all too much to expect from Nadal. Heck even Djokovic is not as funny as he used to be. He is slipping.

“Too much to expect”?. Why should anyone expect that he acts as someone he is not?.

Sure, it has nothing to do with his English and yet that's exactly what you're mocking.

It really says a lot about the kind of person that you are, that you consider someone as having no personality simply because he's shy.

The only embarrassment here is you...

Crisstti
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
It wasn't that bad. It's just really weird to see what a shy and smiley person Rafa is off court compared to the way he acts during the matches. It's like two different people.

I just love that about him.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Letterman interupts him all the time, arrogant American, do your homework!

I dont know whats happening to me but i actually liked this interview...(dont tell anyone though)

8PAQ
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Yeah he seems so much nicer in real life. No annoying OCDs or death stares. Just a nice smile and lots of shyness. Why does he have to be this unpleasant maniac while on court?

Hood_Man
08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
It was a far cry from his interviews with Tom Hanks and Robin Williams anyway. I guess with those guys he doesn't really need to do anything :lol:

"So, Robin Williams I-"

20 minutes of material from Robin

"Haha very good. So anyway your latest film-"

Another 20 minutes of improvised standup

FeVer
08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Letterman's such a ******.

"Is Majorca an island?"

"What does Babolat mean?"

For pity's sake, does he do any prep for these shows?

And how the heck wants a ball off Letterman's racket?

MichaelNadal
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think his English is that bad. It's more of that spanish accent.

Exactly, he answered every question well and explained everything up until Letterman would cut him off again. But there wasn't a single thing he didn't answer, or question he was asked that he didn't understand. His accent is just REALLY thick.

Crisstti
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Exactly, he answered every question well and explained everything up until Letterman would cut him off again. But there wasn't a single thing he didn't answer, or question he was asked that he didn't understand. His accent is just REALLY thick.

I didn't understand a couple questions that Rafa seemed to understand just fine...

Qubax
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Letterman is very cool...a real lover of anything New York, pumpin' the US Open and the hoopla. He had some fun with Isner/Mahut when the longest-running match hit the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgAwpthxys

And found another interesting interview with Federer in 2005 after he'd won his sixth Grand Slam - the US Open, of course...already Fed was being called the potential GOAT, even with Sampras ahead of him with 14. Letterman had a pretty straightforward chat with him then.

http://www.tennisperspective.com/2011/02/flashback-federer-does-letterman-2005.html
Man Fed looks like such a baby there. He looks like he's 19 years old there, not 24...

Outbeyond
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Letterman interupts him all the time, arrogant American, do your homework!

I dont know whats happening to me but i actually liked this interview...(dont tell anyone though)

I'm twittering it now....

cc0509
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
(Are you kidding? Letterman didn't even bring up the book [apart from when he introduced Nadal]. Did you expect Nadal to make up his own questions to ask himself? :lol: Nadal answered every question as though it was his first language, flawlessly and humbly. This is why people like Nadal more than Djokovic. One is very humble)

How stupid are you people? The interview questions are pre-prepared. A staff member from Letterman goes over the questions with Nadal and his PR team. It is all decided BEFORE the interview what will be asked and what won't. Nadal knew exactly what Letterman was going to ask. There are no surprises on these shows especially for somebody like Rafa who can't speak English very well.

If no questions were asked about the book, it is probably because Nadal's PR team did not want to go in that direction. It seems odd that Letterman showed the book but did not talk about it. When have you ever seen Letterman hold up a book and then not talk about it? Most people who have books want to talk about the book to help increase sales. If they did not talk about the book to me it indicates Nadal and his PR team did not feel comfortable doing so. It has nothing to do with Letterman not wanting to talk about the book. Letterman does not care. The show is there to sell or push something that a celebrity or athlete wants to push. That is the only reason a celebrity goes on those shows to begin with. They don't go on there and talk about the weather. They have something to sell. The segment was clearly cut down from the normal time of a normal segment. Normally a guest gets 10-15minutes. Nadal had maybe 5 minutes total. It was all pre-planned to be short and sweet.

cc0509
08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
(Wow, you are posting without seeing the interview. And you don't seem to be aware that Letterman doesn't rehearse his interviews, and often doesn't research his guests. No point discussing with you something you know nothing about :lol:)

Are you crazy? Letterman has staff who do the research and all interviews are pre-prepared. You have no clue what you are talking about. Letterman's staff do the pre-show work and then Letterman shows up and he is given notes and cue cards. It is a very tightly produced show. This ain't a local show down at the local mall. There are at least 50 people who work behind the scenes of that show. Both Nadal and Letterman were prepped and knew exactly what was going to be asked. Letterman of course can vary it as he wants but basically a script is followed so there are no big surprises especially when you have a guest such as Rafa who does not speak English as his first language.

cc0509
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I saw the interview in full. It was an embarrassment to the sport of tennis. Letterman has written on his card what is planned to be done. He decided not to plug the book at the end because Rafa was a dud. He often does that with interviews that were not going anywhere.

No, I don't agree with that. It was discussed with Nadal's PR team and Letterman's staff before the show. If the book was not talked about further it is probably more due to Nadal and his team not wanting to go in that direction than Letterman and his staff.

cc0509
08-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Letterman has never been an in-depth interviewer. It has always been a silly show for an audience who probably can't even point to Europe let alone Spain on a world map. Nadal is too down too earth for this stupidity. It's made for the Paris Hilton's of the world to overact.

That is not true. Letterman is clever and witty. When he first came out and started his talk show what he was doing at the time was ground-breaking and much different than a boring Johnny Carson type interview. Those type of people who watched Carson were more the masses. Letterman had mostly college educated kids watching his show(that is a fact, research it) when it first came out and for many many years nobody could touch him. He was the best at what he did at the time. He focused on a lot of comedy sketches and things of that nature and not just doing a boring interview.

Not sure now what his show has become because I don't really watch it much but when it first came out and for about 20 years he was the man. Did you actually watch the show when it first came out?

Clay lover
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Safin wasn't very good at English too but his interview was excellent...and handsome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8417bX1f3o

Can't comment on Nadal's, haven't seen it.

ViscaB
08-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Not sure now what his show has become because I don't really watch it much but when it first came out and for about 20 years he was the man. Did you actually watch the show when it first came out?

He's a clever guy for sure;). What I meant is that it has always been a silly show. With the top 10 list:-?. In general the stars come here to put up a show and answer silly questions. I actually like it for what is it. But it has zero depth.

Clay lover
08-25-2011, 11:08 PM
He's a clever guy for sure;). What I meant is that it has always been a silly show. With the top 10 list:-?. In general the stars come here to put up a show and answer silly questions. I actually like it for what is it. But it has zero depth.

Yeah, if you are smart, you'd be even more aware of the fact that the world is full of dumb people who like to listen to silly questions and answers. Letterman is doing just that.

BreakPoint
09-17-2011, 12:44 AM
CBS just repeated this Letterman episode tonight. Knowing what we know now, Letterman's question was pretty prescient and Nadal's answer is quite ironic. Remember that Nadal was on Letterman right before the start of the US Open.

Listen to the question and answer at 1:50 in the video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYqnZJvAcBI

Then see what happened a few days later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABY0BR8d_z0

And what he said afterward (i.e., that "it happens all the time"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSO57iW158&feature=related

:oops: :) :shock:

vive le beau jeu !
09-17-2011, 04:10 AM
i stopped watching after 52 seconds of that unbearable fake smile.