PDA

View Full Version : When will Oudin retire?

Soianka
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
If she can't win a match, how much longer will she last on tour?

Tennis_Monk
08-24-2011, 07:31 PM
If she can't win a match, how much longer will she last on tour?

As long as she is getting endorsements and sponsor money.

zapvor
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
that's pretty mean...lol

jeebeesus
08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
shes young, can only get better :)

FedEx23
08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
shes young, can only get better :)

False. Look at Gulbis or DYoung

rossi46
08-25-2011, 12:45 AM
There should be a general principle for women's tennis as it is very hard to watch at the best of times :

1. If you have a head like a smashed crab as is the case with Oudin and can't play then you shouldn't be allowed to play.
2. If you are hot and can't play then you can stay on the tour.

mellowyellow
08-25-2011, 05:31 AM
c'mon!!..... she is just having a down year :)

Cup8489
08-25-2011, 05:33 AM
False. Look at Gulbis or DYoung

Didnt Dyoung just get done getting further in an ATP tour level tournament than he ever has in his career?

And didn't gulbis win a title this year?

TopFH
08-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Come on! Isn't she like 21?

SLD76
08-25-2011, 08:06 AM
There should be a general principle for women's tennis as it is very hard to watch at the best of times :

1. If you have a head like a smashed crab as is the case with Oudin and can't play then you shouldn't be allowed to play.
2. If you are hot and can't play then you can stay on the tour.

http://i52.tinypic.com/i6cxl4.gif

*wiping tears from my eyes*

Cormorant
08-25-2011, 08:50 AM
On the Vaidisova scale of longevity, Oudin should be pencilling in her farewell tour right around now. At this point, we're way past "Girl's fresh outta confidence!" and right in the middle of "Girl's had a brain transplant!". Were someone to propose that her 2009 USO run didn't happen and was in fact a staged sideshow produced by the USTA and shown during rain delays, I wouldn't laugh them out of the room. When your game begins to resemble Ashley Harkleroad's, you might be better off demoting your job to a hobby.

Retiring is the often just the first step back on the WTA tour, and I'm not sure any less radical action can revive Oudin's progress at this point.

Andy Zarzuela
08-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Oudin has gained a lot of weight. And let's face it, she is being surpassed by other American girls that have more talent and strength.
She was brutually beat up by Sloane Stephens 6-1,6-2 on clay this year and can't even win on the challenger circuit these days.
Oudin is not America's brightest prospect at the moment....Outside the Williams Sisters you have Mattek-Sands and McHale, which are considerably a level above Oudin in my opinion. Though her run at the US Open 2009 was impressive, she faced a lot of girls that can self-destruct on serve and can be erratic if off. I believe Sharapova committed like 20 something DFs and lost 7-5 in the third to her. That shows you that is was clearly the UE count that kept her winning....it's not like she has a big serve or kill shot for that matter.

Qubax
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Oudin has gained a lot of weight. And let's face it, she is being surpassed by other American girls that have more talent and strength.
She was brutually beat up by Sloane Stephens 6-1,6-2 on clay this year and can't even win on the challenger circuit these days.
Oudin is not America's brightest prospect at the moment....Outside the Williams Sisters you have Mattek-Sands and McHale, which are considerably a level above Oudin in my opinion. Though her run at the US Open 2009 was impressive, she faced a lot of girls that can self-destruct on serve and can be erratic if off. I believe Sharapova committed like 20 something DFs and lost 7-5 in the third to her. That shows you that is was clearly the UE count that kept her winning....it's not like she has a big serve or kill shot for that matter.
Yah, and you can get away with that high percentage, low offense, high defense tennis in the WTA.

Heck, look at #1 Wozniacki

Despite this, she has almost NO weapons. So, unless she get's in better shape, develops a weapon or two, and get's some confidence - she's done.

I wish her luck though, and I hope she pulls it off.

norbac
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
As soon as she finds a husband.

NadalAgassi
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Her U.S Open run was a nice little fluke. I just as soon forget she exists. What she does with her life outside the top 100 I couldnt really care less. Same as I was tired of hearing about Donald Young for years, good or bad, he wasnt worthy of discussion either way. Atleast he had/has some mild potential though, something she doesnt have.

Raistlin
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Didnt Dyoung just get done getting further in an ATP tour level tournament than he ever has in his career?

And didn't gulbis win a title this year?

Young and Gulbis had potential that was WAY beyond getting far in an ATP tournament or winning a low tier ATP tournament, they are still overdue and still have not delivered. Those are two bad examples.

Andy Zarzuela
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yah, and you can get away with that high percentage, low offense, high defense tennis in the WTA.

Heck, look at #1 Wozniacki

Despite this, she has almost NO weapons. So, unless she get's in better shape, develops a weapon or two, and get's some confidence - she's done.

I wish her luck though, and I hope she pulls it off.

Yeah, but Wozniacki is a better athlete by a country mile. People criticize Caro for being different than the typical top women's player....she plays smart tennis, but can still pack a punch when needed. In a way, she has shown you do not have to hit hard and flat all the time to be successful.

Wozniacki is a big girl. She's 5'10 and she's pretty curvy. She definitely has an athletic body and can serve pretty big too. She's a good combination of good technique, athleticism, and mental strength. Woz can hit winners from anywhere, but she usually kills you by wearing you down and constructing the point. She is not going to give you many UE's, which is why she has been so good.

I do not see this style of game---especially as often as she plays (it seems like she plays every single tournament, week-to-week) to be sustainable in order to stay on top. She needs to play a smarter schedule or she'll retire by 24.

sureshs
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Lots of demeaning comments about women here

CDestroyer
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM

So now she is a short little fatty?

Qubax
08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but Wozniacki is a better athlete by a country mile. People criticize Caro for being different than the typical top women's player....she plays smart tennis, but can still pack a punch when needed. In a way, she has shown you do not have to hit hard and flat all the time to be successful.

Wozniacki is a big girl. She's 5'10 and she's pretty curvy. She definitely has an athletic body and can serve pretty big too. She's a good combination of good technique, athleticism, and mental strength. Woz can hit winners from anywhere, but she usually kills you by wearing you down and constructing the point. She is not going to give you many UE's, which is why she has been so good.

I do not see this style of game---especially as often as she plays (it seems like she plays every single tournament, week-to-week) to be sustainable in order to stay on top. She needs to play a smarter schedule or she'll retire by 24.

Yah it certainly works. I has even worked for Hewitt, Chang and some others in the mens game. Even Rafa and Roddick can be accused of just grinding and being far to passive.

Woz does have a very good BH as well. It's better then her FH IMO.

I also agree though that it's not sustainable.

mellowyellow
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
ttt.. any thought on her current success?

kishnabe
08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Very Bad....don't know where she can go! Better improve and find a way to be in the top 50! At least she can have a decent career!

adventure
08-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Her window of opportunity to save her career may have already opened and closed when the USTA reached out to her to offer her assistance, and she refused.

In addition, her fitness has declined sharply, as she has clearly gained weight and lost fitness:

http://realztenisfanz.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/l5278438.jpg?w=449&h=337

I cannot see her turning things around without drastic changes, notably a chance in coaches, a sports psychologist and accepting help when she needs it (now) from the usta when it's offered.

slice bh compliment
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
She will be a teaching pro.
She will marry a nice guy.
Together, they will raise little club champions.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Her window of opportunity to save her career may have already opened and closed when the USTA reached out to her to offer her assistance, and she refused.

In addition, her fitness has declined sharply, as she has clearly gained weight and lost fitness:

I cannot see her turning things around without drastic changes, notably a chance in coaches, a sports psychologist and accepting help when she needs it (now) from the usta when it's offered.

It is sad, she burst on the scene beating top players in two consecutive slams, and since hasn't been able to win a match. She needs to take a page out of Mardy Fish's book and lay off the ho-hos for starters.

NLBwell
08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Whoa! After looking at that picture, no wonder she is losing. Her only strengths were desire and speed. Looks like she doesn't have either one.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Whoa! After looking at that picture, no wonder she is losing. Her only strengths were desire and speed. Looks like she doesn't have either one.

Looks like she has lots of speed between the fridge and the dinner table, sorry.

Harry_Wild
08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
She needs to follow Bartoli act. She is overweigh but has a lot of talent and desire. Plus, she uses her weight to drive the ball with more power. Bartoli is quick even with her weigh. She does not have the best staminia; but she is top 10 now at near 30 years of age. Pretty impressive!

Melanie needs to have a chat with her and other gals that are overwiegh but are successful like Serena!

syc23
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
You would think being a professional, there is no excuse for being overweight (unless you're a sumo wrestler). Oudin has been packing on the beef for sure.

Lay off the Big Macs girl!

Harry_Wild
08-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Oudin, 2009 Open darling, loses in opening round
AP - Monday, August 29, 2011

NEW YORK (AP)—Melanie Oudin of the United States was ousted from the U.S. Open in the first round Monday, a 6-0, 7-6 (7) loser to Romina Oprandi of Italy.

Oudin, whose run to the quarterfinals captivated New York and the tennis world in 2009, has won just nine of 38 mathes this season and is currently ranked 120th.

After a blowout first set, Oudin made it a match against the 132nd-ranked Oprandi, pushing it to a tiebreaker. She staved off two match points before falling 9-7.

Two years ago, Oudin was the unseeded 17-year-old who beat Maria Sharapova and two other seeds on her way to the quarterfinals. She moved as high as 31st in the world rankings the next year but has been on a steady slide since.

Chris182
08-30-2011, 04:00 AM
wow...she doesnt think she can make a living off tennis for longer tan maybe 1 more year? she prolly doesnt even realize the chance she got to be with the tour and be a pro. declining help by usta seems just dumb when she should be reaching out for every help given ?

rossi46
08-30-2011, 05:11 AM
She needs to follow Bartoli act. She is overweigh but has a lot of talent and desire. Plus, she uses her weight to drive the ball with more power. Bartoli is quick even with her weigh. She does not have the best staminia; but she is top 10 now at near 30 years of age. Pretty impressive!

Melanie needs to have a chat with her and other gals that are overwiegh but are successful like Serena!

She can't really go wrong then, 90% of the women on the tour are overweight

Douggo
08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Apologies for being indelicate, but how could she gain all that weight in her arms and midsection, and none of it went, well...

baseliner
08-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Given her current physical shape, I guess it wouldn't be nice to rate her chances of a resurection of her career as "slim" and none!

syc23
08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
It's not that hard to avoid shoving hamburgers, chips and sausages down her pie hole given that she is a professional athlete. If someone gave me $$$ to play sport, I'd be cut to the bone with not an ounce of fat.

slice bh compliment
08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Apologies for being indelicate, but how could she gain all that weight in her arms and midsection, and none of it went, well...

See, also, Jennifer Capriati (much taller, but similarly built, like Stefano Capriati).

sureshs
08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Wow she has become fat and ugly

celoft
08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
The fat lady is singing ...

sureshs
08-30-2011, 09:56 AM
She just won a Grand Slam.

The Grand Slam breakfast at Dennys.

Soianka
08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
It is sad, she burst on the scene beating top players in two consecutive slams, and since hasn't been able to win a match. She needs to take a page out of Mardy Fish's book and lay off the ho-hos for starters.

She really does look like she gained weight.

I saw her in person a couple of weeks ago and she didn't look noticeably heavier, but that picture really does show a pot belly.

She really does need to do something.

This losing streak is getting ridiculous.

I was so through with her after how badly she played at the FED Cup. Betthanie was so much better than her. Even though they both lost.

Douggo
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
See, also, Jennifer Capriati (much taller, but similarly built, like Stefano Capriati).

Yeah, I thought of her after I posted. I wonder what Henin might look like if she gained 25-30 pounds...

Soianka
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM

Except Serena is not overweight.

And I think Bartoli has lost weight.

Being overweight is probably not an advantage for any tennis player.

Melanie needs to get fit again.

And probably needs a new coach and a sports psychologist.

I don't think she has that much potential but she should not have lost yesterday's match. She definitely has at least top 50-100 WTA potential.

dirtballer
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Except Serena is not overweight.

And I think Bartoli has lost weight.

Being overweight is probably not an advantage for any tennis player.

Melanie needs to get fit again.

And probably needs a new coach and a sports psychologist.

I don't think she has that much potential but she should not have lost yesterday's match. She definitely has at least top 50-100 WTA potential.

I saw some of Bartoli's match yesterday and she definitely has lost weight. It's even more important that Melanie be in top shape because she does not have the size to be a big hitter. She has to be a retriever/counterpuncher. If she got in top shape, she could possibly be an Amanda Coetzer type of player.