PDA

View Full Version : What kind of accent does Federer speak English with?

Golden Retriever
08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Is it Swiss, German, French, British? I can't tell.

Clarky21
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Sounds kind of German to me,but he has practically no accent so it's hard to tell.

Hood_Man
08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Watered down German I suppose. It reminds me of what happened to my dad's scottish accent when he was alive.

Having left Scotland in the early 80's his accent had all but gone, but every now and then he'd say something that sounded full on Glaswegian.

batz
08-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Is it Swiss, German, French, British? I can't tell.

You can just about tell he's not a native English speaker but he doesn't really have an accent as such.

monfed
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
He's got a fairly "clean" accent.

But notice how he pronounces the word "but".

Mainad
08-25-2011, 07:52 AM
I can hardly detect any accent at all and yet he doesn't quite sound like a native speaker.

Very slight trace of German I think but he is so fluent in English that it is barely noticble. I think English is one of the languages he grew up with at home through his South-African born mother.

PimpMyGame
08-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Federer was brought up in the German speaking part of Switzerland, so I guess you can call his accent Swiss-German. It sounds less harsh than a German accent, but this may be more to do with his very good grasp of English than anything else.

Emet74
08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Here's Fed struggling to pronouce "this" properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00QND7e8Dg&feature=relmfu

Feņa14
08-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Federer was brought up in the German speaking part of Switzerland, so I guess you can call his accent Swiss-German. It sounds less harsh than a German accent, but this may be more to do with his very good grasp of English than anything else.

Yeah, I did a piece of coursework on him for a German A Level a few years ago. His accent sounds more German than anything, but his English is fantastic.

vbranis
08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Swiss-German. German speakers sound quite a bit more harsh and I have a Swiss friend whose accent is almost exactly like Fed's (same intonations on most words and overall tone of voice).