PDA

View Full Version : Best forehand in the women's game today

AhmedD
08-25-2011, 08:29 AM
As the thread title says, who do you think currently has the best forehand in the women's game today.

I'm going to go ahead and pick Ivanovic despite her being a mental mess. She makes it seem effortless when she hits winners off that wing.

Cormorant
08-25-2011, 08:33 AM
This year it's Li Na for me.

vbranis
08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd say Stosur (when she's on)

Tammo
08-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow nobody has said Serena.
I also think Clusters has a big FH

AhmedD
08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Wow nobody has said Serena.
I also think Clusters has a big FH

Serena has a big and consistent forehand, but I don't think it's really her stronger wing, plus there are bigger ones out there. Henin had a pretty lethal forehand, very Federer-esque with the whipping motion with a lot of sting. Sam Stosur also has something similar, it's a killer when she's on.

DRII
08-25-2011, 10:18 AM
This year it's Li Na for me.

I would agree, given the absence of Serena and Clijsters (or even Venus) this year.

Li's FH was lethal at the French. It reminds me of Clijster's a little. Li takes it extremely early...

juanparty
08-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Kvitova...

TMF
08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Serena is behind Stosur, Clijsters, Sharapova, Kvitova and Li. If we go further back, Mary Pierce even has a bigger fh.

jodd
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
This is tough but...assuming everyone's 'on.'....

Stosur's is highly overrated. It's a lethal shot from the backhand corner when she has time to set up, but otherwise...it kind of falters. Best is so much more than just being able to put a ball away when you have plenty of time. Stosur's forehand on the run is just not a solid shot. I'd say it's down to Clijsters and Serena. Li's solid too but I'm reluctant to place her that high. Like someone else said she takes the ball really early and doesn't budge from the baseline in rallies - it's impressive. Clijsters and Kvitova hit with more consistent depth than Serena (Serena still coughs up a sitter if a flat ball is placed right at her feet.) but Serena hits some really good, short angles on the run. All three are very good at changing direction, but I would say Serena probably has the best down-the-line. The inside-out is actually a weak spot in her game. Clijsters has a great inside out and...I've never even really seen Kvitova hit one so....Kvitova probably has the most creative fh, though. As for cross-courts...I can't make up my mind. Sharapova is a great balance of precision and power, but solid enough on the run to qualify her for this. Her cc backhand is without question in the top 3, though. I've always thought Venus had a HUGE fh, that was just impossibly streaky - still, when it's on, it's a very destructive wing. What I've always thought is interesting is the fact that no one notes how much spin Venus hits with. Yes, she's going all out, but even her attacking shots are actually quite heavy - Serena's attacking shots are among the flattest I've ever seen. Ivanovic has a gorgeous shot, and she can place it well, but I actually think it lacks quite a bit in sting.

willshot
08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Melanie Oudin!

dannykl
08-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Graf's forehand is the best ever in WTA and her forehand is way better than today's girls'.Today no one has a forehand close to her standard. Everyone is far behind Graf in the forehand department.

Kim probably has the best forehand on tour now. But her forehand still is way inferior to the high level set by Graf.

Clay lover
08-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Serena still for me.

Colin
08-26-2011, 01:45 AM
I'd say Venus and Clijsters when they're on; the problem is they're incredibly streaky. I'd still take streaky yet great over consistency, though. Sharapova, Serena and Ivanovic would round out my top 5. I'd say Li and Kvitova are good, too; I just need to see more from them.

NadalAgassi
08-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Serena is behind Stosur, Clijsters, Sharapova, Kvitova and Li. If we go further back, Mary Pierce even has a bigger fh.

ROTFL delusional Serena hater strikes again. It shows your desperation you pull a long retired player like Pierce out.

Suckapova doesnt hit a single shot better than Serena, as anyone who has watched their last 4 or 5 matches knows. Stosur on clay might have the better forheand, but on any other surface Serena has her beat on every shot including the forehand.

halalula1234
08-26-2011, 05:22 AM
SERENA! and STOSUR. venus' seems to have gotten a bit akward unlike in the past where it was amazing

Li Ching Yuen
08-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Shows how much people know about tennis here, since Li hits a ton of errors on her FH side and is well known to be her weaker side by non-clowns that keep up with tennis. Her backhand on the other hand is world class.

Forehands:

1.Kvitova
2.Stosur
3.Ivanovic

Laver777
08-26-2011, 05:37 AM
samantha stosur

TERRASTAR18
08-26-2011, 05:39 AM
serena's fh keeps players on the backfoot and keeps it deep in the court.

LuvTheGame
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
My Favs:
Active Players
Serena - Believes it too
Clisters - Has perfected it
Pova - Practised and determined
Kvitova - Gifted like heck but young

Retired Players
Graf - The Best undeniably
Davenport - When not injury (movement) plagued
Seles - Tough competitor gone too soon

LuvTheGame
08-26-2011, 05:52 AM
VWilliams - Back in the day Awesome, especially when on the fun - Injury plagued a too little play has impacted negatively. As someone else posted, like Serena's FH keeps players on the heels, especially its power.

StreetFighter
08-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Sania Mirza - But only when its on :)

hugobosstachini
08-26-2011, 08:22 AM
In the recent times the best FH on the tour is probably Petra, she has a very simple loop based on a very simple Eastern grip... she doesn't need to worry about details everything she hits off that side is perforating - lethal.

Li's FH sucks and is an error machine, it's also her weakest side, her technique is weird especially when she "sends" her wrist to her left ear.

Sabine's FH is said to be her strongest asset but I have yet to see that consistently like in 2009, she's a tad behind this year.

Ivanovic's FH is a joke now, it was a brilliant shot in the past but has deteriorated a lot during her slump, she has though one of the most perfect technique on the tour for sure.

Julia's FH can really be a beautiful shot but she's really too inconsistent off that side because of her big take back, inconsistent timing - but factors such has her suspicious footwork at times, balance etc... but she's my favorite FH because it offers more variety than Petra or Ana with the lift, she can find some amazing angles and eventually flatten it out when she wants to go for winners.

Sammy Stosur's FH is heavy, good amount of spin... but obviously it's only good on clay and gets quickly dismantled as soon as the surface doesn't allow her to put her FHs into place...

Bojana Jovanovski, good slap FH, not really fund of her technique but when she's on her FH can really put most girls 20ft. from her shots but she's too inconsistent overall.

Kim Clijsters, great FH but she only hits it like 70/80% CC, I don't know if it's because she takes it so late but I find it predictable - anyways, for me she has one of the best set ups on that side, she always steps into that shot beautifully and when she takes a full cut at it's clean as crystal clear water.

---1. Petra
2. Kimmie
3. Julia
4. Ana
5. Sabine
6. Stosur
7. Bojana

Tennis Is Magic
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
In the recent times the best FH on the tour is probably Petra, she has a very simple loop based on a very simple Eastern grip... she doesn't need to worry about details everything she hits off that side is perforating - lethal.

Li's FH sucks and is an error machine, it's also her weakest side, her technique is weird especially when she "sends" her wrist to her left ear.

Sabine's FH is said to be her strongest asset but I have yet to see that consistently like in 2009, she's a tad behind this year.

Ivanovic's FH is a joke now, it was a brilliant shot in the past but has deteriorated a lot during her slump, she has though one of the most perfect technique on the tour for sure.

Julia's FH can really be a beautiful shot but she's really too inconsistent off that side because of her big take back, inconsistent timing - but factors such has her suspicious footwork at times, balance etc... but she's my favorite FH because it offers more variety than Petra or Ana with the lift, she can find some amazing angles and eventually flatten it out when she wants to go for winners.

Sammy Stosur's FH is heavy, good amount of spin... but obviously it's only good on clay and gets quickly dismantled as soon as the surface doesn't allow her to put her FHs into place...

Bojana Jovanovski, good slap FH, not really fund of her technique but when she's on her FH can really put most girls 20ft. from her shots but she's too inconsistent overall.

Kim Clijsters, great FH but she only hits it like 70/80% CC, I don't know if it's because she takes it so late but I find it predictable - anyways, for me she has one of the best set ups on that side, she always steps into that shot beautifully and when she takes a full cut at it's clean as crystal clear water.

---1. Petra
2. Kimmie
3. Julia
4. Ana
5. Sabine
6. Stosur
7. Bojana

No no no no no!

The only choice is

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MhmM1BIfzqk/SOhfzlRp8YI/AAAAAAAAAL4/Bo6OG4u8oO0/s400/Caroline+Wozniacki+of+Denmark_07.jpg

Every other women's forehand is noobing up the sport.

TMF
08-26-2011, 10:08 AM
ROTFL delusional Serena hater strikes again. It shows your desperation you pull a long retired player like Pierce out.

Suckapova doesnt hit a single shot better than Serena, as anyone who has watched their last 4 or 5 matches knows. Stosur on clay might have the better forheand, but on any other surface Serena has her beat on every shot including the forehand.

Sharapova's fh is flat, more aggressive, has more pace and penetrating than Serena. When it's dialed on, it's very devastating, even against a very good defensive player couldn't keep up. Serena's fh is good, but it's not as offensive. She kept it high b/c she's more conservative or doesn't take much risk which help her stay consistent. Pierce during her peak had a very explosive fh.

Serena is bigger, more muscle(and more fat:)) gives you an illusion that she has a better fh.

Watch Maria's mechanic...her follow-through swing produces less spin, the full wind up maximize the energy of the impact. She doesn't hold back and notice she finishes over her left shoulder, very similar to prime Federer's follow through.

http://0.tqn.com/d/tennis/1/0/f/F/80299664_8.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQPweB1L-E

split-step
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Sharapova's forehand is not great and is certainly not in a list of best forehands in the women's game. It lacks spin and angles. There's a reason it's her weaker wing.

No one has come close to having as devastating a forehand as Graf. Henin's 2nd-half-of-2007 forehand (minus the Wimbledon SF :roll:) was one of the most lethal forehands I have seen in terms of being able to hit any shot with any angle from anywhere on the court.
Serena's forehand return is pretty deadly.

Ivanovic's forehand used to be an amazing shot with a great combination of power and spin. However, she has lost so much confidence in it, it's pretty much a slap happy shot now that is just as likely to find the bottom of the net as it is to land in the court.

Kvitova has the potential to take the title of best forehand. I'm not fully convinced yet but she made a good case for herself at Wimbledon. Effortless power from anywhere on the court and equally effective, cross court, inside out and up the line.

Stosur's forehand is pretty heavy with good pace and spin especially the inside-out forehand. However, on the run, it loses its effectiveness considerably. It's also vulnerable to being rushed by hard, flat low shots so on a non-clay surface with the right tactics, you can neutralize it.

Not sure why someone mentioned Li. lol, Just no.

Tanya
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Didn't Serena hit like the hardest forehand ever or something in a doubles match with Venus in RG09? It was a return winner too... I saw the video recently on youtube, it was incredible.

Anywho as for who as the best... I should be Venus but her forehand has deteriorated an incredible amount over the past few years (along with much of the rest of her game as well, really).

Mirza had a huge forehand when she had mild success a few years back but as is the common story it is just way too erratic.

Ivanovic has a big forehand and it was key to her success in 07/08, but really it has abandoned her after winning Roland Garros.

Vaidisova had a devastating forehand back in the day... She of course completely crashed and burned soon after, however.

Rezai probably hits her forehand consistently harder than any other woman, but the downside of this is that because of her power she makes wayyy too many unforced errors to even consider her to have the best forehand.

Sharapova hits it as hard as she can, but that's it.

Davenport had a bomb of a forehand but her footwork (and lack thereof) didn't allow her to utilize it to the best of her abilities, in my opinion.

Kvitova's forehand is deadly partly due to the fact (in my opinion) that she is a lefty. She also has effortless power and a simple swing.

Serena's is probably the most consistently successful which is a scary thought because it isn't even as dangerous as her backhand (and don't even get me started on her serve...)

Anyway it's a tossup really.

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Sharapova's fh is flat, more aggressive, has more pace and penetrating than Serena. When it's dialed on, it's very devastating, even against a very good defensive player couldn't keep up. Serena's fh is good, but it's not as offensive. She kept it high b/c she's more conservative or doesn't take much risk which help her stay consistent. Pierce during her peak had a very explosive fh.

Serena is bigger, more muscle(and more fat:)) gives you an illusion that she has a better fh.

Watch Maria's mechanic...her follow-through swing produces less spin, the full wind up maximize the energy of the impact. She doesn't hold back and notice she finishes over her left shoulder, very similar to prime Federer's follow through.

http://0.tqn.com/d/tennis/1/0/f/F/80299664_8.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQPweB1L-E

Oh my god, TMF. Are you serious? Almost all players finish over their shoulder when hitting a forehand.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01669/serena_1669097c.jpg

Sharapova's forehand looks about as similar to Federer's as John Mcenroe's. :confused:

jodd
08-26-2011, 08:36 PM
1. just out of curiosity, how would dementieva's forehand rank for most people here, if she hadn't retired?
2. and has kuznetsova been mentioned? why hasn't she been mentioned?

Also, I agree with others who say that Graf's fh is peerless. It truly is/was.

Roy125
08-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Serena's forehand is devastatingly powerful. It's also proved to be consistent when winning her slams. Of all time, I think that Steffi Graf had the best forehand.

dlesser13
08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
2. and has kuznetsova been mentioned? why hasn't she been mentioned?

+1. Kuznetsova has a very nice forehand comparable to the likes of men, not as flat as many other WTA players.

dcdoorknob
08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I'll take Serena in this one.

Kvitova could be the next one in waiting (and is certainly right there already on a good day).

Smasher08
08-27-2011, 02:46 AM
Serena. There's a lot of reasons why it's propelled her to 13 majors.