PDA

View Full Version : Federer becoming like McEnroe

Wilander Fan
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
In terms of serve. He gets alot of aces and winners but it seems its mostly from guile and disguise. Most of his aces are the result of the opponent being completley fooled and leave them frozen. OTOH, if they get a racket on the ball, they can usually hit a decent return. In the past, Fed could also overpower people with pace and force alot of returns long.

It reminds me alot of Mcenroe's service games later in his career when returners were essentially just guessing which serve would be coming and he would either get the easy put away or get passed by a brutal passing shot.

Cup8489
08-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Federer can still bring the heat. He's just trying to preserve as many good years as he can. If you hit every serve at 100% all the time, you won't be able to play as long, period.

zagor
08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think he can hit with as much pace and spin as before(atleast not often)because of the issues with his back.

ryu1revline
08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know, most of McEnroe's guile and craftiness came from the fact that he had a lefty serve, not to mention his full circle rotation that didn't reveal direction until the last possible moment. His 2nd serve is also amazing for S&V against righties.

Federer's serve is a major reason why he was so dominant. Even though he isn't considered a big server in the traditional sense, his placement and constant spin & speed changes made it difficult to deal with. In the past, he had probably the most clutch serve on big points that turned losses into wins. He seems more vulnerable now on service games because he kind of lost his control a bit, and I've noticed his 2nd serves don't have the amazing kick they once did. The likely answer is more back pain from being older.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Exactly.For example, I was watching the 2007 us open final (Federer vs Djokovic) and Federers serve really saved him the match, but he used more power, less spin. Now his serve seems more spinny.

Colin
08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I thought, by the thread's title, that Federer had broken a racquet after a bad line call and used its splintered shards to threaten the life of an umpire (or, at the very least, that he intimated that he would use his connections to imperil the chair umpire's ability to procure Lindt chocolate truffles). And, of course, I was greatly disappointed.

OddJack
08-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Fed serve has always been about placement, he rarely have had any serve faster than 127

LuvTheGame
08-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Some play with this attitude, anything you can do I can do better, fear my awesomeness. Others study meticulously the competition's game and strategically use their weaknesses to break then win.

But both winning styles rely upon being mentally stronger, tougher and invincible! Put your head down in misery and watch me, here comes my A Games for the rest of the match.

Mahboob Khan
08-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Federer can still improve his serve:

I always felt that his racket drop-down (component no. 3), the backscratch, needs to be improved. I think with little bit of upper body flexibility particularly in his shoulders will improve his "racket drop-down" after the trophy pose.

pvaudio
08-26-2011, 05:42 AM
I invite you to mail Roger Federer and tell him to improve his serve by doing just that. Wow.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
He does have a point, Federer, being so flexible, may have the potential to increase the racket drop a bit.

AhmedD
08-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Federer can still improve his serve:

I always felt that his racket drop-down (component no. 3), the backscratch, needs to be improved. I think with little bit of upper body flexibility particularly in his shoulders will improve his "racket drop-down" after the trophy pose.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SR2bNZnr7wI/AAAAAAAAGpw/dnXqBokxNuI/s400/federer+shanghai+masters+cup+%282%29.jpg

Facepalm, because words alone cannot express how inexplicably dumb that was

Kunohara
08-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Yea, because Fed needs helps on his serve from a bunch of amateurs...

The guy has an amazing serve, he's a natural. He doesnt need to hit it at 140 to be threatening.

Kunohara
08-26-2011, 06:02 AM
He does have a point, Federer, being so flexible, may have the potential to increase the racket drop a bit.

Notice how Fed, unlike the big servers that have huge racquet drops, never had a shoulder injury ?

Raonic, Roddick and co all have had shoulder injuries.

Maybe that should tell you something ? Maybe, just maybe, he serves the way he serves because he can still serve awesome and not fear injury ?

AhmedD
08-26-2011, 06:06 AM

That's the way he gets better place, he can try increasing his racquet drop, he may be more spin and power but in turn he sacrifices placement, which is why he gets so many aces. Plus he risks a lot because he might get less first serves in. Plus, it's harder to hit through the ball with an open stance, and through my experience, when I switch from the open to the pinpoint stance, is that if you slightly less the racquet drop it's easier to hit a flatter serve and under the ball more successfully. When you really drop the racquet more, the serve becomes much more spinny. In addition, at this point in his career it would be better not to change much. Me and my coach watched a slow mo of Roger's serving. I asked the same question, he took me to the court, told me to hit an open stance serve (at that point I used to use both serving styles depending on the situation and what I wanted to do) while focusing on dropping my racquet. We kept repeating until I finally got a feel for, and then I realized there was significantly less power in my serve, sure I got some extra kick but it was difficult to hit through the ball on first serves, and on second serves the ball landed quite short. He then asked " Now you see why ? " Then I understood what he meant.

Watch : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYd8IrFnkU

Kunohara
08-26-2011, 06:13 AM
^

This. You shouldnt force a deeper racquet drop. Stick with whats natural for your shoulder's ROM and flexibility.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 06:32 AM
You have got a point.

I was just saying that he has great flexibility, and I expected his raacket drop to be better, but if that is what is natural for him, so be it!