PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Tennis Center

FedEx23
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
This stadium on the campus of Yale University was built in 1991 and seats 15,000. It's the sixth-largest tennis stadium in the world, yet it merely hosts a small warm-up to the US Open. In the past it was a combined tournaments and now it is just women. Why was this stadium built to be so big and has it ever been completely sold out? I've been twice (including the upper deck during the earthquake on Tuesday) but can the New Haven Open really sustain itself? It looked pathetic today when Li Na was playing and there were maybe fewer than 200 people in the gigantic stadium.

ryu1revline
08-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Hmm, yeah I said the same thing earlier, but you have to remember there was a massive rain delay before the Li Na match, and then a postponement after the 1st set. There were also multiple stoppages of play during the match while the chair umpire asked the court to be toweled off.

Refer to the "tennis is under appreciated thread" for a deeper answer.

The Winston-Salem tourney was a MUCH smaller venue; the complex was built on an old parking lot for Wake Forest and seemed to hold more than enough seats for the small crowds. It looked more appropriate for a 250 IMO.

The WTA should've gone there instead, maybe the men might have sold more tickets up in New Haven.

woodrow1029
08-26-2011, 07:28 AM
The CT Tennis Center was also originally built for concerts as well. As far as I know, they have not used it for concerts in several years, but when it first opened I went to several concerts there during the summer. The first few years they had the tournament, there were a lot of spectators, but Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, Rusedski and a lot of other big name players came and played. Most of the top players would come and win one or two matches, then either lose or pull out to go to NY early with a couple of matches under their belt.

After about 1998 or so is when the crowds really started to go down hill.

rommil
08-26-2011, 07:54 AM
A lot bigger names used to play there. I remember seeing Venus and Steffi play there(finals), a lot of Seles matches. Sampras also lost to Paes there. Yes, over the year the player and spectator attendance has dwindled, plus the fact it's a week before USO, the bigger names skip it now. Too bad because the venue is very intimate. You could be watching a match in the outside courts and a lot of the other players would be walking around or stop by to watch them and sit next to you. The other thing that's cool is that there is a USTA tournanent in July and I play there, then come back the next month and watch the pros play or practice at the courts you were playing.

This year it's only the women and tickets are almost next to nothing. Too bad them men's tournament moved, it was really cool too watch them upclose at such a relaxing venue.

Borrelli
08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Hmm, yeah I said the same thing earlier, but you have to remember there was a massive rain delay before the Li Na match, and then a postponement after the 1st set. There were also multiple stoppages of play during the match while the chair umpire asked the court to be toweled off.

Refer to the "tennis is under appreciated thread" for a deeper answer.

The Winston-Salem tourney was a MUCH smaller venue; the complex was built on an old parking lot for Wake Forest and seemed to hold more than enough seats for the small crowds. It looked more appropriate for a 250 IMO.

The WTA should've gone there instead, maybe the men might have sold more tickets up in New Haven.

It's funny because in the past number of years New Haven hasn't been able to attract any of the top ranked men's players at all, and I'm not talking Fed/Nadal. I mean top 20 guys don't even show. I think Fish was the highest ranked player last year. Yet as soon as they moved the men's to NC (this year) all of a sudden you have a bunch of decent (top 25) guys playing. And you would think that New Haven is so much closer to the US Open venue that it would be way more convenient for them?

achokshi99
08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
It's funny because in the past number of years New Haven hasn't been able to attract any of the top ranked men's players at all, and I'm not talking Fed/Nadal. I mean top 20 guys don't even show. I think Fish was the highest ranked player last year. Yet as soon as they moved the men's to NC (this year) all of a sudden you have a bunch of decent (top 25) guys playing. And you would think that New Haven is so much closer to the US Open venue that it would be way more convenient for them?

I think in 2009 they got Verdasco and Querrey but yeah overall it's has been a joke on the men's side. I'm surprised the top women even do it, they def get a lot of top women, last year i saw the semis (dementieva v woz, good 3 setter if u could ignore dementieva's serve and net game) and finals. great seating in that main stadium too. I just thing it's an issue of sponsorship. They can't get any big names there, prob because it's right before the opening so a big name sponsor NYC based sponsor that would come up 50 miles from the city like a JP morgan or what not prob holds back the big bucks for the USO. Plus, because it's right before the USO, I don't think many big name players want to play there, esp if they had 2 back to back ATP 1000 evens w/Rogers Cup and Cinci.

Roddick would not have played in Winston Salem if he didn't bomb in the hardcourt season and Fish withdrew cause he's prob already burned out for the USO. Another issue is that for as long as I can remember, the New Haven tourny always had rain issues. I have no idea how they finish it this weekend with Irene, today (Fri) is gorgeous, mid 80s strong sun, and after tonight it will be nasty weather.

FedEx23
08-26-2011, 09:28 AM
A lot bigger names used to play there. I remember seeing Venus and Steffi play there(finals), a lot of Seles matches. Sampras also lost to Paes there. Yes, over the year the player and spectator attendance has dwindled, plus the fact it's a week before USO, the bigger names skip it now. Too bad because the venue is very intimate. You could be watching a match in the outside courts and a lot of the other players would be walking around or stop by to watch them and sit next to you. The other thing that's cool is that there is a USTA tournanent in July and I play there, then come back the next month and watch the pros play or practice at the courts you were playing.

This year it's only the women and tickets are almost next to nothing. Too bad them men's tournament moved, it was really cool too watch them upclose at such a relaxing venue.

Yeah I played a high school match on a court that Verdasco used a couple of years ago. Pretty cool if you ask me.

T1000
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
It's an awesome place, played hs matches there as well as tournaments and have been to the Pilot Pen (when it was called that) I'm only 19 so I only remember going there when it became combined again in ~2005 (don't remember year but I was at the final where Blake beat Lopez in 3). Went every year except this year since women's tennis is boring to me.

T1000
08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I think in 2009 they got Verdasco and Querrey but yeah overall it's has been a joke on the men's side. I'm surprised the top women even do it, they def get a lot of top women, last year i saw the semis (dementieva v woz, good 3 setter if u could ignore dementieva's serve and net game) and finals. great seating in that main stadium too. I just thing it's an issue of sponsorship. They can't get any big names there, prob because it's right before the opening so a big name sponsor NYC based sponsor that would come up 50 miles from the city like a JP morgan or what not prob holds back the big bucks for the USO. Plus, because it's right before the USO, I don't think many big name players want to play there, esp if they had 2 back to back ATP 1000 evens w/Rogers Cup and Cinci.

Roddick would not have played in Winston Salem if he didn't bomb in the hardcourt season and Fish withdrew cause he's prob already burned out for the USO. Another issue is that for as long as I can remember, the New Haven tourny always had rain issues. I have no idea how they finish it this weekend with Irene, today (Fri) is gorgeous, mid 80s strong sun, and after tonight it will be nasty weather.

They're gonna go indoors (Cullman-Heyman tennis center, the indoor courts right next to the outer outside ones) if it rains, they did this a couple of years ago, when Verdasco played IIRC