PDA

View Full Version : Irene tracking, US Open in jeopardy

aprilfool
08-26-2011, 09:36 AM
A great tracking site:

http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

This could be the worse storm New York has experienced in decades, maybe longer. New York has not had a direct hit since the 1890s.

There could be massive flooding and extended power outages...

Be careful east coasters.

Ledigs
08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
A great tracking site:

This could be the worse storm New York has experienced in decades, maybe longer. New York has not had a direct hit since the 1890s.

It will be gone by Monday.

aprilfool
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Of course it will be gone the next day. It's a hurricane. Power outages and floods and damage? Not so simple.

Ledigs
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
I think the US Open will be a big priority for NYC.

stringertom
08-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I survived Charley in '04 Orlando but unfortunately many of the court fences at clubs here didn't withstand the same MPH winds NYC might get hit with. What do you think it'll take to get up and running afterwards...a couple of squeegees?

jaggy
08-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Its why it should be in Cincinnati

aprilfool
08-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I survived Charley in '04 Orlando but unfortunately many of the court fences at clubs here didn't withstand the same MPH winds NYC might get hit with. What do you think it'll take to get up and running afterwards...a couple of squeegees?

Charlie was a walk in the park. Wilma took out power for millions for WEEKS, with only hospitals having emergency generators.
And that was just a Cat 1. This system could be much larger. If it doesn't make landfall in NC watch out, especially if you are near the Sound or south shore.

http://secondpagemedia.com/blog/2011/08/hurricane-irene-potential-exists-for-1-in-100-year-storm-surge-from-de-to-ma/

mikeler
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Charlie was a walk in the park. Wilma took out power for millions for WEEKS, with only hospitals having emergency generators.
And that was just a Cat 1. This system could be much larger. If it doesn't make landfall in NC watch out, especially if you are near the Sound or south shore.

http://secondpagemedia.com/blog/2011/08/hurricane-irene-potential-exists-for-1-in-100-year-storm-surge-from-de-to-ma/

Charlie was luckily a small hurricane but it did extensive damage here in Orlando including many of my friends and co-workers out of power for sometimes weeks in August and September. Took a lot of roofs off too, it looked like a sea of blue tarps flying into and out of Orlando for a few years afterwards.

T1000
08-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm evacuating from CT to Philly tommorow night, should be fun

JoelDali
08-26-2011, 11:41 AM
The hurricane is a hoax to keep mega loads of tourist ***** away from Ashe.

PBODY99
08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm evacuating from CT to Philly tomorrow night, should be fun
That is just when it is to hit Philly. The transit lines will be down as of midnight Sat.
The 45 & 50 Grass court Nationals starts here on Monday, so it should be an interesting few days.

Tammo
08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the USO will be fine by Monday. But still stay safe people.

ChipNCharge
08-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the US Open will be a big priority for NYC.

So NYC has the power to stop/avert a hurricane?

Ledigs
08-26-2011, 12:21 PM
So NYC has the power to stop/avert a hurricane?

No but it will be a big priority for ConEd etc. to get the US Open up and running. $$

CCNM
08-26-2011, 01:36 PM
It's Obama's fault! (LMAO) :lol: :lol: No, seriously, I hope the weather isn't too bad.

JoelDali
08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
They just announced full blown evacuation for Nassau County.

Please pray for J011y

;(

I'm in a red zone downtown. I didn't get my rental car - they gave it to some guido.

Pray for my 88s

:(

FedererBestTennis
08-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously overhyped hurricane.

Just the media's strategy to keep focus off of America's real problems.

Very little damage if any will occur.

My tournament got cancelled due to "safety concerns". :roll:

boredone3456
08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Right now, from what I have heard on the Boston news, Irene is supposed to be done with my neck of the woods in Massachusetts by Sunday night. Based on what they seem to think, I think she is supposed to be out of New York by Saturday, at least the very worst of her. If Power is knocked out, and they want to get the US Open going, power would hopefully be able to be back on by Monday. However, depending on how much rain the area gets, drying all the courts by Monday as well as factoring in any wind damage might pose a problem. In all honesty though, they are still not 100% sure which way the storm is going. It seems like every time they send out alerts or break into TV for us Bostonians the track has changed.

The systems they use to track these things are not perfect, this storm could still change directions or do something that will downgrade the amount of damage extensively. Earl was supposed to hit up here and right up until the day before they were telling us to expect the worst and all this stuff and then what happened, his track changed and we got almost nothing close to what they told us. In all honesty, I just use the same logic I use with the snowstorms we get up here all the time: You have no clue just whats going to happen till it actually does. Hurricanes when they get up this area aren't usually extremely destructive, although historically there have been exceptions. Whatever happens, happens. Based on the fact that what is going to happen seems to change every half hour we just have to grin and bear it.

pound cat
08-26-2011, 02:28 PM
WORRIED ABOUT HURRICANE IRENE, US OPEN CANCELS SATURDAY EVENT...no kid's day

Full article on tsn.ca/tennis

chrischris
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
A great tracking site:

A liberal hoax .Let the market fix it !

In D Zone
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Watched the last qualifying matches today. Saw Cilic practicing on the back court then as I turned there stood Maria K walking towards me. wOW my jaw dropped. She's on her way out, must have heard about the storm and decided to take off earlier.

My flight cancelled for tomorrow due to the storm. Cannot find a flight out, so decided to head to visit my brother.

I'm driving eastward tomorrow to Pittsburgh before the storm hits NYC. Booked my flight out from there.

Federer and company will have to ride this one out.... Hope everyone make it safe through the storm.

tennisplayer3275
08-26-2011, 07:24 PM
According to the USTA...the US Open will run as scheduled on Monday with matches starting at 11am, gates opening at 10am. Not sure anyone will be able to get there...but the gates will be open according to the USTA.

bluetrain4
08-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I'd worry more about every day people and businesses than the USO. If it starts on Monday or starts on Wednesday, if it suffers rain delays once it starts, the fact is, the USO will start and will finish. Yeah, as a viewer delays suck, but it's a fact of life. Let's just hope everyone is safe and damage is minimal.

Tammo
08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
This is why Ashe should hava roof. Even if there is no direct damage there will be water and trash everywhere. Hopefully it doesn't cause more than a days delay. Maybe they should even consider relocating the event.

veroniquem
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm evacuating to Pennsylvania as well. Our house is probably gonna get flooded. :(

bezs
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
then as I turned there stood Maria K walking towards me. wOW my jaw dropped. She's on her way out, must have heard about the storm and decided to take off earlier.

Did you manage to get a photo with her not every day you get to see this tennis beauty in person.

Bud
08-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Whereabouts is the current cone of uncertainty? :p

BreakPoint
08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Watched the last qualifying matches today. Saw Cilic practicing on the back court then as I turned there stood Maria K walking towards me. wOW my jaw dropped. She's on her way out, must have heard about the storm and decided to take off earlier.

My flight cancelled for tomorrow due to the storm. Cannot find a flight out, so decided to head to visit my brother.

I'm driving eastward tomorrow to Pittsburgh before the storm hits NYC. Booked my flight out from there.

Federer and company will have to ride this one out.... Hope everyone make it safe through the storm.
Don't you mean westward to Pittsburgh?

rommil
08-26-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm evacuating to Pennsylvania as well. Our house is probably gonna get flooded. :(

Hey T, are you carpooling with voronique? :)

rommil
08-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Whereabouts is the current cone of uncertainty? :p

Bud will rate this hurricane a 2.5 San Diego NTRP.

ruerooo
08-26-2011, 10:46 PM
I'd worry more about every day people and businesses than the USO. If it starts on Monday or starts on Wednesday, if it suffers rain delays once it starts, the fact is, the USO will start and will finish. Yeah, as a viewer delays suck, but it's a fact of life. Let's just hope everyone is safe and damage is minimal.

I keep thinking about the people that flew in from all over the world. I've met fans of Roger's who came in from Zurich and fans of Rafa's who came in from Palma. I can't imagine what they must all be thinking; I hope everyone is okay.

stringertom
08-27-2011, 01:09 AM

Do you even think b4 posting? Charley devastated a large swath of very populated areas from SW Florida all the way through Cen. Florida to the Atlantic Coast north of Daytona Beach. Punta Gorda was totally levelled. The only fortunate event was the fact it made a sudden turn to the east prior to landfall, thereby avoiding higher levels of damage to the Tampa Bay area. The damage in the Orlando that Mikeler refers to in his post was largely due to mini-tornadic events on the backside of the fast-moving storm. I still cringe when I see blue tarps because there were whole neighborhoods without roofing for months.

You can talk about your own devestation and I will commiserate. But to say months of suffering by countless hundreds of thousands people was "a walk in the park" is total ignorance.

SLD76
08-27-2011, 03:26 AM
I live in Wildwood NJ and they evacuated my entire county.

I hope flushing is not in a low laying area.

rommil
08-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Regardless of the forecast, USTA is enforcing play. Maybe in the 100 mph winds and rain, Federer will not shank, the WTA will have a better serve percentage and Nadal can have a factual excuse for poor play.

gavna
08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Regardless of the forecast, USTA is enforcing play. Maybe in the 100 mph winds and rain, Federer will not shank, the WTA will have a better serve percentage and Nadal can have a factual excuse for poor play.

New York will not have 100mph wind, it's already a TC and by tonight a major rain event. I bet by Monday it will be sunny - after our last 2 Hurricanes (Ike - Rita) here in Houston it was sunny within hours

Sentinel
08-27-2011, 05:25 AM
This sounds really awful. I hope you guys keep safe and there are no casualties in all this.

Sentinel
08-27-2011, 05:27 AM
The east coast ? :shock: Or wait, you mean the storm ?

zagor
08-27-2011, 05:40 AM

Hope everything turns all right for you guys and your houseolds don't get permamently damaged.

Sentinel
08-27-2011, 06:22 AM
However, you neglected to elucidate on the consequences on The King's allergies.

Fedace
08-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Looks ok guys. Category 1 only as the Storm makes landfall. it will pass NY city sunday and be fine by Monday as the weather reports.

Crisstti
08-27-2011, 08:33 AM

I hope everything is fine :|

Thise whole thing sounds so weird to me. No such things around here.

aprilfool
08-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Do you even think b4 posting? Charley devastated a large swath of very populated areas from SW Florida all the way through Cen. Florida to the Atlantic Coast north of Daytona Beach. Punta Gorda was totally levelled. The only fortunate event was the fact it made a sudden turn to the east prior to landfall, thereby avoiding higher levels of damage to the Tampa Bay area. The damage in the Orlando that Mikeler refers to in his post was largely due to mini-tornadic events on the backside of the fast-moving storm. I still cringe when I see blue tarps because there were whole neighborhoods without roofing for months.

You can talk about your own devestation and I will commiserate. But to say months of suffering by countless hundreds of thousands people was "a walk in the park" is total ignorance.

"What do you think it'll take to get up and running afterwards...a couple of squeegees?"
stringertom

Bartelby
08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Its the surge of water pushed forward by the storm that's the problem, not the storm itself by the time it hits NY.

stringertom
08-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I guess I hit a nerve with u, AprilFOOL. Don't lift one part of my post to take the whole comment out of context. Someone else was being blindfully optimistic about a Monday start with no hitches, when Irene was being projected as a direct (& up to strong cat 1 hit on NYC). If that were the case, the squeegees would be only the last thing the USTA would employ...first would be cartage of debris, up to and including ruined fencing. Ever seen what even 50MPH winds can do to a tennis court fence? I have.

I wish everyone in NYC well and safe passage through the next 48 hours of mess Mother Nature is foisting on them. Even with the dropped intensity, a Monday start without hitches (especially on outer, non-show courts) is still gonna be a logistical nightmare. I'm thinking there will be an army of workers ( if they can get to Flushing) working overnight Sunday/Monday to repair damage and reset wind curtains to regulation standards. Someone directing operations at USTA BJK Center has a very full plate. Good Luck!

boredone3456
08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Whatever is going to happen with this storm is going to happen. The track, projections, everything still keep changing and will keep changing. She could still do very minimal damage compared to the worst that could happen or the worst could happen. The way we track these things are not perfect, at the end of the day these storms always seem to have a mind of their own and can change at the drop of a hat. Hopefully the storm weakens some more and that when it does hit New York the damage will be minimal.

As for my previous post, yes I was being optimistic about a Monday start, in things like this, optimism is key. Hope for the best but still prepare for the worst. Sadly, given that Hurricanes very rarely get up this far north with much intensity, I really have no clue how truly prepared the US Open organizers actually are to deal with the aftermath of whatever Irene is going to do. But seeing as it is NYC and they have a giant amount of resources as a city..I think that they will pull out of this perfectly fine. Will it take time, of course. But you can't really do anything until after the storm hits because even with all the computer models working no one ones just exactly what this thing is going to bring to the table. As long as everyone is safe, whatever physical damage done to structures can be fixed and replaced.

A monday start now will require a lot of work. With the Metro system shut down as of noon today till who knows when depending on the storms strength and duration over the city, getting people to Flushing will be tough. Roads will be a challenge, if the trains don't start up before Monday it will just add to the trouble of getting the staff there. Whatever happens they are going to try as hard as possible to get the tournament going and done in as close to the time frame alloted as they can or the whole tour for the rest of year could suffer. It will just become a matter of how much damage is done and if the resources are available to deal with it. In fact, it may be a good thing the tournament is in NYC...if any city has the resources to pull it off...Its New york.

Clarky21
08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
(Nothing and nobody can stop Nadal here in New York City)

Except just about everybody is his draw. Lol.

Bud
08-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Too-Ra-Loo-Rye-Aye :mrgreen:

Come on Irene

ben123
08-27-2011, 10:09 AM
(Nothing and nobody can stop Nadal here in New York City)

the super golubev wil beat him in straights

aprilfool
08-27-2011, 10:20 AM
(HUH?????)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThWaMnlSZM

Bud
08-27-2011, 10:22 AM
(HUH?????)

http://youtu.be/oc-P8oDuS0Q

stringertom
08-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Boredone,

Bloomberg took quite a hit this past winter for NYC's poor and slow response to snow accumulation in outlying areas of the 4 non-Manhattan boroughs. People were trapped in their neighborhoods for days. Hopefully, he learned from those mistakes and taps the resourcefulness of his Empire City.

aprilfool
08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
US Open stars lie low as Irene approaches

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jnYPsCl3AfsQAMAmaegQTENKu6kA?docId=CNG.c3062 13b0b7f448df74278a7dc63e50d.221

In D Zone
08-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Don't you mean westward to Pittsburgh?

Lost my sense of direction.... I was too preoccupied trying to book a flight back home and planning to get out of dodge.

I just arrived in Pitt, will try to post Maria pics later.

Hood_Man
08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Good news, Hurricane Irene is calming down. It's now been downgraded to a British Summer.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I hope everything is fine :|

Thise whole thing sounds so weird to me. No such things around here.

We changed our minds at the last minute and we stayed. I'm SO happy we did because the damage was minimal in the end.
Thanks for your concern.

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Good news, Hurricane Irene is calming down. It's now been downgraded to a British Summer.

LOL! Yes, yes....

Thought, I gotta say: in NJ and elsewhere, it's all about the post-hurricane flooding of small streams and rivers. These make a homeowner's hell in a few minutes' time.

A la Katrina, though not so dramatic.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
So, are the matches happening tomorrow? USO will start at 11am?

bluescreen
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
According to usopen.org, they are planning to open the gates at 10 am tomorrow as planned. However, if you're visiting the open I think the real question mark is whether transit services will be running or not.

FedEx23
08-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I think my family will just drive from connecticut regardless of how hellish it may be. I've been looking forward to this all summer and I'm not missing it

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I think my family will just drive from connecticut regardless of how hellish it may be. I've been looking forward to this all summer and I'm not missing it

that's the spirit!!:) enjoy...

stringertom
08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Hoping all are well living in the path of the storm. Homes and possessions can be replaced after nature's disruptions...loved ones lost can never be replicated.

As to USTA BJK Center...anyone know the extent of damage? I watched as many news reports but there were no references to the site or surrounding areas. How about power outages?

Cormorant
08-28-2011, 05:23 PM
The Big Bad has passed, and order is restored. Mac'll be in the booth, ball folk with golden arms have honed their towel catching/ducking skills, and heavy rain is scheduled for the first week.

TheTruth
08-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Great! I was looking for news on this.