PDA

View Full Version : Federer's RG win over Djokovic indicates a mental edge for Federer?

RAFA2005RG
08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
There was no way Djokovic was expected to lose that Roland Garros meeting. Djokovic was undefeated on clay this year, while Federer was woefully out of form. I think there was a lot more going on mentally than physically. Federer was having a poor year before Roland Garros, and he has had a poor year after Roland Garros. Nothing has gone his way except for that meeting with Djokovic. The result made no sense, except perhaps Federer has a mental edge over Djokovic, barring the Australian Open 2008/2011.

Last year's US Open meeting where Federer had matchpoints was effected by the prospect of playing Nadal the next day. Federer later admitted he was thinking about Nadal during the Djokovic match. When you think about it, Federer would hate to play Nadal at the US Open if he was not physically fresh, because it really is the most important match of Federer's life. Lose to Nadal at the US Open and he will have lost to Nadal everywhere (and never beaten Nadal in the hardcourt slams).

So I think Federer continues to hold the match vs Djokovic on his racquet (outside of Australia).

BeHappy
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Federer is simply a better player than Djokovic.

He just has a chink in his armor in the high backhand that Nadal was able to exploit, if he didn't he would have dominated Nadal even more comprehensively than Djokovic is right now.

Djokovic isn't equipped to target Federer's weakness like Nadal is, and when Federer plays to his potential like he did in RG, Djokovic is helpless.

RAFA2005RG
08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Djokovic isn't equipped to target Federer's weakness like Nadal is, and when Federer plays to his potential like he did in RG, Djokovic is helpless.

Helpless is the word, exactly. Federer has the clown on a string, up/down side2side :oops: and it really shows that Djokovic is not the best all-round player in tennis. Variation destroys him.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Exactly. It really shows how Federer is the GOAT, the way he is able to exploit the weaknesses of a supposedly unbeatable player that year.

zagor
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
No ********* it doesn't, however Fed believes that he can beat Novak more than most players on tour at the moment including GOAT Rafa so he's a danger if he's serving well(and Novak is having some issues) even though at their current best level Novak is a better player IMO.

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
No ********* it doesn't, however Fed believes that he can beat Novak more than most players on tour at the moment including GOAT Rafa so he's a danger if he's serving well(and Novak is having some issues) even though at their current best level Novak is a better player IMO.

LOL be real. Djokovic was 100% in the FO, he was just bet by a better player, he said so himself.

powerslave
08-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Well tennis is all about matchups (now when did I hear/read this last ?). Djokovic has s solid game but so does Federer when he is hot and in the RG semis Federer was godlike otherwise a missed opportunity here/there and Djoker could have taken away the match.

I mean look at the way Federer lost to Tsonga in Wimbledon and even to Berdych at Cincy it took those guys to come out with a special performance and Federer did make his share of errors for Federer to loose. I am not making any excuses but just trying to highlight the fact that Federer is still a contender for every GS he appears in else why would he be #3 ?

zagor
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
LOL be real. Djokovic was 100% in the FO, he was just bet by a better player, he said so himself.

Well he didn't seem to be as consistant off the ground as he has been all year in that match but maybe that's due to Fed varying pace and spin so much and hitting spots with his serve all match long so Novak couldn't find his rhytm off the ground.

Regardless I see Fed's very high level of play at FO this year as sort of anomaly, he played his best CC tennis since 2007 and overall looked way better than at any other point this year so far, as much as I'd like to I don't see him repeating such a performance at USO or maybe ever again.

devila
08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
it's a grudge-soaked, bitter game. it didn't help that john mcenroe whined and chased djoker to get djokovic upset and maybe LOSE more often before reaching number 1 while beating mcenroe's win streak. that's why grudging imbecile federer waved his finger. it was so predictably pitiful to watch federer and fed boyfriend mcenroe being bitter and jealous over djokovic's superior game and personality...

devila
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Well tennis is all about matchups (now when did I hear/read this last ?). Djokovic has s solid game but so does Federer when he is hot and in the RG semis Federer was godlike otherwise a missed opportunity here/there and Djoker could have taken away the match.

I mean look at the way Federer lost to Tsonga in Wimbledon and even to Berdych at Cincy it took those guys to come out with a special performance and Federer did make his share of errors for Federer to loose. I am not making any excuses but just trying to highlight the fact that Federer is still a contender for every GS he appears in else why would he be #3 ? tsonga and Berdych were the same as in their previous matches.
they're not choker roddick recently...but it wasn't out of the ordinary to beat federer.

jackson vile
08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Federer is better on clay IMO

djokovic2008
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
There was no way Djokovic was expected to lose that Roland Garros meeting. Djokovic was undefeated on clay this year, while Federer was woefully out of form. I think there was a lot more going on mentally than physically. Federer was having a poor year before Roland Garros, and he has had a poor year after Roland Garros. Nothing has gone his way except for that meeting with Djokovic. The result made no sense, except perhaps Federer has a mental edge over Djokovic, barring the Australian Open 2008/2011.

Last year's US Open meeting where Federer had matchpoints was effected by the prospect of playing Nadal the next day. Federer later admitted he was thinking about Nadal during the Djokovic match. When you think about it, Federer would hate to play Nadal at the US Open if he was not physically fresh, because it really beaten Nadal in the hardcourt slams).

So I think Federer continues to hold the match vs Djokovic on his racquet (outside of Australia).

Erm hasn't djoker got a 3-1 h2h this year and 3-0 on hardcourts so no there is no edge

zagor
08-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Right.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5930591&postcount=144

You don't think Federer was better this year on clay? But yes Novak is superior on clay to Federer IMO.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Right.

LOLLLL, PWNEDDDDDDDDDDDDD:twisted:

TennisFan3
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
NO. It does NOT indicate a mental edge for Federer. It just says that Federer is probably not intimidated by Djokovic in the way Nadal is this year.

Also it took Fed having an unbelievable serving day, and playing one of his best matches in recent memory to beat Djoko. Still the match was SUPER CLOSE and Djoko took it almost to a 5th.

Meanwhile Djoko still has a 3 wins 1 loss record against Fed this year. I expect the H2H to remain in Djokovic's favor in the majority of their future matches, although it probably won't be as lopsided as Nadal-Djoko's..

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Right.

LOL! :)

Zagor, you win a brand new Nole shirt. Courtesy of Srdjan.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Srdjan+Djokovic+Open+Day+13+5OtNvc8nKncl.jpg

Tony48
08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
We're still talking about Roland Garros? LOL....OK.

Anyway, I don't think it has to do with any mental edge. Perhaps Federer was feeling extra motivated that day but the only thing that matters was that he was better on that day. Whether he has an "advantage".....I wouldn't go that far.

celoft
08-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Well, he does have a RG title and 5 finals as well.

Subventricular Zone
08-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Roger thinks he is the better player than Djoko, period. Regardless of Djoko's amazing run, Fed will always think that if he plays well on that day, he's in with a great chance to win. Djoko also seems to be more "intimidated" (if you can call it that) by Fed, as opposed to someone like Nadal.

CocaCola
08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
No. Djokovic said he played good but that he could have played better.

CocaCola
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
There's no mental edge as a factor between these two at the moment. Federer won last meeting, Djokovic won 3 times this year, USO 2010 meeting.

It's not like one of them won 5 consecutive matches on all surfaces combined. :wink:

Bud
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Federer MAY have a mental edge over Djokovic but Djokovic clearly has the physical edge over Federer. IMO, the physical edge will carry Djokovic over the finish line nearly every time against 30 y.o. Federer.

If Federer could tire out Djokovic on court like Murray can, he'd have a shot at defeating him a few more times.

NadalAgassi
08-26-2011, 03:48 PM

In that case Federer was at 120% for that match. After all he is past his prime yet played a better match on clay than he almost ever has even in his peak years. John McEnroe called it his best ever match on clay. Either way Federer is NOT currently a better player than Djokovic. To suggest so is laughable. Djokovic is 3-1 vs Federer this year, and has lost only 2 matches all year. Yet a guy who hasnt even won a Masters title this year is currently better, LOL!

Clarky21
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Federer MAY have a mental edge over Djokovic but Djokovic clearly has the physical edge over Federer. IMO, the physical edge will carry Djokovic over the finish line nearly every time against 30 y.o. Federer.

If Federer could tire out Djokovic on court like Murray can, he'd have a shot at defeating him a few more times.

Since when does Djokovic get tired these days? He is inexhaustible,and can outlast everyone. That's been the main difference in his play this year. It's strange that he was able to turn around in one month a problem that has plagued him for his entire career.

AhmedD
08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Since when does Djokovic get tired these days? He is inexhaustible,and can outlast everyone. That's been the main difference in his play this year. It's strange that he was able to turn around in one month a problem that has plagued him for his entire career.

He will, he just needs someone who can actually pose an actual challenge to him and drag the match on. Djokovic hasn't been tiring out because he's beem steam rolling nearly all his matches this year. He showed signs of burn out in Cincy. His fitness has siginificantly improved, however I wonder how he'll handle it when someone drags him on and on through a really tough 5 setter.

Isn't it odd that Djokovic has yet to face long term exposure to hot weather this year. It's like somehow everything is going his way.

Clarky21
08-26-2011, 04:34 PM
He will, he just needs someone who can actually pose an actual challenge to him and drag the match on. Djokovic hasn't been tiring out because he's beem steam rolling nearly all his matches this year. He showed signs of burn out in Cincy. His fitness has siginificantly improved, however I wonder how he'll handle it when someone drags him on and on through a really tough 5 setter.

Isn't it odd that Djokovic has yet to face long term exposure to hot weather this year. It's like somehow everything is going his way.

Maybe,but he was able to outlast Nadal earlier this year in the heat and humidity of Miami in a long match. He never would have been able to do that before.

Pwned
08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
No. Djokovic said he played good but that he could have played better.

No ****. And every loss for Federer and Nadal would be the same.

Talker
08-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Fed might have a little edge mentally but not enough to change the result.
Whatever mental edge one player has coming into the match won't matter as confidence can change on a point or two during play.

CocaCola
08-26-2011, 05:14 PM
No ****. And every loss for Federer and Nadal would be the same.

As Djokovic fan, I can say that the only time he lost playing his very best at that time was Madrid '09 SF. But yeah, fans will always say - he could have played better.

Semi-Pro
08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
As Djokovic fan, I can say that the only time he lost playing his very best at that time was Madrid '09 SF. But yeah, fans will always say - he could have played better.

He should have won that match in straights but decided to play pusher tennis in the second set tie break. He outclassed Nadal for the majority of the match, only Nadal's sheer grit and determination got him through that one.

svijk
08-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Did Fed not know that he would play Nadal if he beat Djokvic in the French semis....Im asking since the OP has mentioned this was the reason Fed lost the USO semis ???
Other than that, i think Fed played well to win the semis...he is more confident against Djok than Nadal but there is no mental edge here.....these are top players so on a given day either can win

RAFA2005RG
08-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Djokovic has the physical edge? When does Federer get tired? Even vs Tsonga, Federer didn't look tired, he just got overpowered. Djokovic doesn't play with the same all-out-attack as Tsonga. Djokovic just plays from the baseline and generally stays there. Federer uses his finesse and it takes Djokovic out of the comfort zone. Yep, Federer is a better claycourter than Djokovic. Federer is also a better US Open and Wimbledon player than Djokovic.

RAFA2005RG
08-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Did Fed not know that he would play Nadal if he beat Djokvic in the French semis....Im asking since the OP has mentioned this was the reason Fed lost the USO semis ???
Other than that, i think Fed played well to win the semis...he is more confident against Djok than Nadal but there is no mental edge here.....these are top players so on a given day either can win

The facts are, at the US Open Federer admitted he was thinking about having to play Nadal the next day. This is not to suggest he tanked the Djokovic SF, but it forced him to pace himself energy-wise and that more than likely made a difference.

Whereas at Roland Garros, you don't play the SF and F in consecutive days. AND and maybe even more tellingly, Federer took pride in being the one to stop the 43 match winning streak.

Regarding mental edge, given that Djokovic was on the greatest roll of his life, and Federer beat him, that has got to hurt mentally.

Smasher08
08-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Whenever Fed and Djoker play it can go either way, especially now that Nole's finally mentally matured.

Fed might have a psychological edge, but like at RG the underdog here will have something to prove.

This'll be a GREAT match.

Sentinel
08-27-2011, 03:07 AM
What An Immaculate Thread !

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFi32uMo8iSGEsrl_sEdPJO6qDcBrai H4x5RW83EqQGhGrMnyOSg

08-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Djokovic lost at the French Open, but that's exception that proves the rule. Djokovic and Federer have met 4 times in 2011.

RAFA2005RG
08-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Djokovic and Federer have met 4 times in 2011. Novak won all the mathces except one (exception that proves the rule).

It's other way around: Djokovic has a mental edge.

Yet it couldn't even get him to a 5th set at Roland Garros :lol:

RAFA2005RG
08-27-2011, 07:06 AM
What An Immaculate Thread !

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFi32uMo8iSGEsrl_sEdPJO6qDcBrai H4x5RW83EqQGhGrMnyOSg

My favorite of the year.

RAFA2005RG
08-27-2011, 07:08 AM
The rule at slams is, Djokovic is always the favorite when they meet at AO. But in every other slam, Federer is the favorite, because Djokovic has only beaten him once in the other 3 slams and it was in a match in which Federer had a couple of matchpoints and basically threw away a couple of sets.
http://www.bkrw-sport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Roger-Federer-nike-tennis-2011-french-open-03.jpg
And regarding best of 3-setters, Federer can lose to anyone, so that isn't even part of the analysis.

08-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Yet it couldn't even get him to a 5th set at Roland Garros :lol:
Federer was very lucky that there was walkover by Fognini, so Djokovic lost rythm after 5 days.

08-27-2011, 07:13 AM
The rule at slams is, Djokovic is always the favorite when they meet at AO. But in every other slam, Federer is the favorite, because Djokovic has only beaten him once in the other 3 slams and it was in a match in which Federer had a couple of matchpoints and basically threw away a couple of sets. And in best of 3-setters, Federer can lose to anyone, so that isn't even part of the analysis.
You are stuck in past. This is 2011. Now, the rule is: Djokovic is favorite against Federer in every slam.

RAFA2005RG
08-27-2011, 07:15 AM
You are stuck in past. This is 2011. Now, the rule is: Djokovic is favorite against Federer in every slam.

Proof is in the pudding, and Roland Garros says: no.

08-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Proof is in the pudding, and Roland Garros says: no.
What the bookmakers say? Who is the favorite if Djokovic and Federer met each other?

08-27-2011, 07:51 AM
RAFA2005RG where are you? Why are you afraid to answer my question?

Tony48
08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Umm....why was my post removed?

Evan77
08-27-2011, 01:41 PM
blah, blah. Kudos to Roger for that win. Did he beat Nadal at the end? No. So, what are you trying to prove? Yes, Roger won 16 majors. Novak won 3. Of course, he is better (for now), lol.

In my honest opinion Novak played ***** that day.

devila
08-27-2011, 07:01 PM
federer had a week long walkover at wimbledon '08,
but he still was one shot away from losing his serve and losing to nadal.

fed literally didn't need to play 7 matches at the 2004 and 2005 us open.
djokovic wasn't a man yet back then.
otherwise, federer wouldn't be crying
with arrogance at the '09 australian open.

fed dumped 4 match points in the '05 australian open semi.
he lost a 5-4 lead in the '08 australian open semi.
he was extremely lucky while he was down 5-7 0-3 30-40 in the '06 australian open.
he couldn't handle a 2 set to 1 lead against del potro, djoker AND tsonga when these opponents rarely were in contention for wimbledon and us open.
if Falla didn't clown, federer wouldn't have escaped 5-7, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 6-0
in the 1st round of wimbledon. lol
Federer didn't dominate tennis, except during his clown opponents' matches.

zagor
08-28-2011, 04:27 AM
blah, blah. Kudos to Roger for that win. Did he beat Nadal at the end? No. So, what are you trying to prove? Yes, Roger won 16 majors. Novak won 3. Of course, he is better (for now), lol.

In my honest opinion Novak played ***** that day.

You do realize that's the whole point don't you? *********/RAFA2005RG/Nadalslamking/Nadalwonwimbledonagain(and all his outher past usernames) used to bash Fed on a regular basis until he took out Nadal's biggest threat at RG this year and then proceeded to choke(as usually)to Rafa in the final.

That's why this guy has a sudden hard on for Fed and wishes for him to play many more years and have a "mental edge" over Novak so he can take out Novak for Rafa in SF and then give Nadal another slam.

FedExpress 333
08-28-2011, 05:58 AM
You do realize that's the whole point don't you? *********/RAFA2005RG/Nadalslamking/Nadalwonwimbledonagain(and all his outher past usernames) used to bash Fed on a regular basis until he took out Nadal's biggest threat at RG this year and then proceeded to choke(as usually)to Rafa in the final.

That's why this guy has a sudden hard on for Fed and wishes for him to play many more years and have a "mental edge" over Novak so he can take out Novak for Rafa in SF and then give Nadal another slam.

Agreed.

That is all he is trying to do.

it will not work: Djoko and Fed ***** all want one thing destroyed, and that is ******!!!!!!

Who is with me!!!!!!

RAFA2005RG
08-28-2011, 08:51 AM
What the bookmakers say? Who is the favorite if Djokovic and Federer met each other?

Bookmakers go by stats. And this year's stats say Djokovic has lost 2 matches. Bookmakers have no choice but to go with Djokovic as favorite in every match.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Fed definitely seems to be losing ground vs Djoko on hard court. I hope they meet at the USO. It will be interesting to see if Fed can change the trend. (Then again I wanted them to meet at W but Fed couldn't hold his part of the bargain. That will be the problem again at USO unless Djoko's shoulder is still sore and he loses early).

08-29-2011, 06:15 AM
Bookmakers go by stats. And this year's stats say Djokovic has lost 2 matches. Bookmakers have no choice but to go with Djokovic as favorite in every match.
Bookmakers are far more reliable source then you are regarding the question who is favorite when Djokovic and Federer face each other in slams.

Tony48
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Who will RAFA2005RG look up to now? :(

Maybe BULLZ1LLA knows....

jackson vile
09-23-2011, 09:33 AM
More undue fanboyism?

purge
09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
the only thing it indicates is that unlike nadal federer does have the game to beat djokovic.
so its more like a mental edge over nadal rather than djokovic