PDA

View Full Version : Check out the forehands Roddick hit in this match.

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE&feature=related

If you want to skip to the best one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE&feature=player_detailpage#t=197s

JackB1
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
when was this?

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
when was this?

2004 Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. SFs.

BeHappy
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE&feature=related

If you want to skip to the best one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE&feature=player_detailpage#t=197s

Imagine the career he could have had if he wasn't so arrogant and stupid in refusing to hit his forehand and thinking he can win like Nadal.

GRANITECHIEF
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
And if he kept hitting his forehand like that!

FedExpress 333
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
WOW, shame he stopped playing like this.

Kunohara
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
when was this?

Really ?

Its written crystal clear.

TiberiusGracchus
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I think it's sad to watch highlights of him play like that then watch him play today like he did against Isner. He could have blown him off the court in multiple rallies but just kept hitting topspin junk right back at Isner. What a waste.

tennis_pro
08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
What a great match.

Tammo
08-26-2011, 12:21 PM
That must have been the only match he ever played like that. Still, those were great FH's and if he had kept playing like that he would probably have 5 slams to his name.

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
That must have been the only match he ever played like that. Still, those were great FH's and if he had kept playing like that he would probably have 5 slams to his name.

Nah, Roddick played really entertaining tennis like this in 2003-2004. It was awesome to watch, but he still used to lose very regularly to Hewitt and Federer. Those two guys were bad match ups for Roddick. Hewitt, when at his best, was as big of a nightmare for Roddick as Federer.

I made a mistake in my earlier post. This is a round robin match from the 2004 TMC. Roddick went on to lose to Hewitt 6-3 6-2 in the SF and Hewitt won the last 20 points of the match.

Qubax
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Somewhere along the line Roddick began hitting with more spin, less pace, and higher percentages.

Sure defense and high percentages is good to have in the bag....but if he had those in concert with his serve and the weapon his forehand use to be....he'd be a Top 4 player in the world.

What's strange is when Andre got older, he started to hug the baseline, direct traffic, and shorten the rallies.

Andy has gone to an extend the rallies philosophy and it makes no sense.

fundrazer
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm more impressed by the points Safin played than any forehands Roddick hit. For mostly a baseliner, I've always been impressed with Safin's netplay. Some nice volleys in that video.

Qubax
08-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Nah, Roddick played really entertaining tennis like this in 2003-2004. It was awesome to watch, but he still used to lose very regularly to Hewitt and Federer. Those two guys were bad match ups for Roddick. Hewitt, when at his best, was as big of a nightmare for Roddick as Federer.

I made a mistake in my earlier post. This is a round robin match from the 2004 TMC. Roddick went on to lose to Hewitt 6-3 6-2 in the SF and Hewitt won the last 20 points of the match.

That still blows my mind. Is there video of that out there?

How did Roddick lose soooo many points in a row when he had the huge serve and was still cranking the FH? It must be that Hewitt had a HUGE mental edge.

Mind you watching those 20 straight points on a video doesn't sound fun to a Roddick supporter....but I'd still watch it, if I could find it.

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
That still blows my mind. Is there video of that out there?

How did Roddick lose soooo many points in a row when he had the huge serve and was still cranking the FH? It must be that Hewitt had a HUGE mental edge.

Mind you watching those 20 straight points on a video doesn't sound fun to a Roddick supporter....but I'd still watch it, if I could find it.

I don't have a complete video of it, but this 3 minute video shows some of the big points that led to Hewitt's domination. Andy looked so ****ed at the celebrations
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oH-43yXOD4

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm more impressed by the points Safin played than any forehands Roddick hit. For mostly a baseliner, I've always been impressed with Safin's netplay. Some nice volleys in that video.

Good observation. Those were some awesome volleys.

Another thing that I noticed in this video is how much Roddick's speed and explosiveness has declined. He was dashing around the court like a road runner in this video.

Moose Malloy
08-26-2011, 12:56 PM

the streak included 3 Hewitt service games & 2 by Roddick. I think this was the last match he played with Brad Gilbert in his camp.

Hewitt trailed 2-1 in the second set and was serving when he took complete control, holding at love and not dropping another point the rest of the way.

Roddick went into that matchup determined to volley more than he usually does -- but that didn't quite pan out. Hewitt, like Roddick a former year-end No. 1 and U.S. Open champion, improved to 4-1 against the American.

"I just stoned them," Roddick said of his volley efforts. "I've been hitting them great all week, you know, better than I have. And today, that's about as bad as I've volleyed. It was just bad. I have to be kind of proud a little bit that I committed to doing it this week."

Hewitt broke Roddick in the sixth game of the first set with a lob winner. After Roddick escaped two break points in the fourth game of the first set, Hewitt held in the fifth game with a forehand down the line after returning two good forehands by Roddick.

"Come on!" Hewitt shouted and raised a clenched fist.

Hewitt, with four titles and six finals appearances this year, improved his Masters Cup record to 13-4. No one has more victories in the tournament.
Hewitt saw Roddick's frustration.

"I think he just hadn't had that many opportunities on my service games," Hewitt said. "Even through the first set, it could have been 6-1. I felt I was right on my serve today. Every time we got into a baseline rally, I was dictating play."

zagor
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Roddick-Safin rivalry was awesome IMO, one of the best matchups in 2000s.

Despite Hewitt having an upper hand over Roddick at time I never stopped wondering who would have won 2004 Wimbledon final if Lleyton got past Fed(or if you just took Fed out of the draw), IMO it would have been an amazing match.

ARIARAIDEN
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I think A-Rod would have at least 11 GS with this gamestyle.

Sid_Vicious
08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
I think A-Rod would have at least 11 GS with this gamestyle.

He is just shy of Nalbandian, who would have won 14 grand slams had he played like he did in the 07 Indoors season.

MichaelNadal
08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow what a match o_O
It's weird seeing Roddick play so well since im not used to it now. I miss Safin.

Clay lover
08-26-2011, 05:36 PM
What's interesting is that a yonger Roddick seems to stand further from the baseline to set up for his big forehands.

Xizel
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I prefer the USO 2007 match vs Federer. All out war and still lost, but even his backhand looked potent that match.

bluetrain4
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I think it's fair to say that he's on the downside of his career. But, he stopped playing like this, at least on a regular basis, years ago when he was still in Slam contention. He's said a couple of times that he was a more complete player when he played his "new" style. But, who cares if you're more "complete" if the results are worse.

Does anyone know why he changed? What was the motivation for changing the game style that brought him so much success. And, make no mistake, Roddick had a lot of success. Winning a Slam and losing 4 slam finals (many of them good matches) to an absolute prime Federer is nothing to sneeze at.

You could see that against prime Fed he felt he needed to play this way, to play first-strike tennis, or Fed would destroy him (and fed did destroy him a few times). Fed in his prime hit winners seemingly at will and at the first opportunity. But, Roddick played aggressively against others as well.

Did the rise of Nadal, Murray, Djoker and their ability to gt so many balls back and their more patient style change Andy's thinking. Roddick got in better shape so he could play longer points. But, being in better shape would have also helped him play his old style even better.

It's a perplexing question.

Qubax
08-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I think it's fair to say that he's on the downside of his career. But, he stopped playing like this, at least on a regular basis, years ago when he was still in Slam contention. He's said a couple of times that he was a more complete player when he played his "new" style. But, who cares if you're more "complete" if the results are worse.

Does anyone know why he changed? What was the motivation for changing the game style that brought him so much success. And, make no mistake, Roddick had a lot of success. Winning a Slam and losing 4 slam finals (many of them good matches) to an absolute prime Federer is nothing to sneeze at.

You could see that against prime Fed he felt he needed to play this way, to play first-strike tennis, or Fed would destroy him (and fed did destroy him a few times). Fed in his prime hit winners seemingly at will and at the first opportunity. But, Roddick played aggressively against others as well.

Did the rise of Nadal, Murray, Djoker and their ability to gt so many balls back and their more patient style change Andy's thinking. Roddick got in better shape so he could play longer points. But, being in better shape would have also helped him play his old style even better.

As a huge Roddick fan, it borderline keeps me up at night.

Someone, I can't remember who, but it was on these TT boards mentioned that one of his coaches and him retool it.

He hasn't really hit a bomb of a FH since.

A few of those seriously looked like Del Potro or Berdych in some of these videos.

He hit a flatter ball then. I think he took the ball higher and really cranked it when he had the geometry on his side.

At any rate, although is FH is safer and higher percentage, it is too spinny, pops right to be crushed and just isn't a weapon at all.

It's amazing that he's ridden his serve so far really.

Roddick honestly hits like Oudin does on the womens circuit.

I think Roddick still moves as well as he did back then, and competes as hard...if only he had that FH firepower.

It's such a shame.....

....does anyone know mechanically what he is doing different....because even though you might see one FH a match that is pretty hard, none of them are like it was in 03/04 when Andy could just Delpo crush one...

RCizzle65
08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Anyone think Roddick watches his old matches, or at least coach Stefanki? Jesus I'd love to see him play like this again....I say, we all spam his twitter with a good video of him playing aggressive, lol, I wish that video of his finest set against Federer in the 04 Wimbledon finals was still up on Youtube

Colin
08-26-2011, 08:57 PM

I wonder if it was just too many losses at Fed's hands taking an irreversible psychological toll. In their peak years, they played pretty similar games, just Fed did it better. So you have one with an A game and one with an A+ game. Roddick should have said, "too good," and continued with a style that was working with other players, accepting that Roger will beat him 90 percent of the time instead of thinking they're was something flawed about his gameplan.

But perhaps he was so determined to find a way to beat Fed that he changed forever the fundamentals of his game. He saw a new player, Rafael Nadal, starting to beat Fed and so naturally he thought: Why don't I do what he does? That may turn the tide. The problem, of course, is that Andy isn't left-handed so that major aspect won't work for him. And while he improved his fitness, his court speed and his backhand, he can still only play a B-level version of that Rafa grinding game.

And somehow he's continued to get more passive at the game, so now it's like B-level Andy Murray (though Murray himself plays anywhere between an A-level and D-level Murray game).

It seems like Andy gets stuck on a style of play then won't change till it's too late — like in that Australian Open match against Cilic. The shining example of changing tactics successfully was in the 2010 Miami semi against Rafa when he went from passive and average in the first set to thrashing Rafa in the second and third sets. Andy needs to go for broke earlier and more often instead of being led to slaughter on the hopes his opponent will start missing. Fed actually could do more of that himself these days.

It makes so much sense to everyone here that if Andy would alter his court positioning (and be more selective on net play) and flatten out the forehand, that he could bring in elements from his new style — the improved defense and backhand — to greater effect. The only tournament I can remember him bringing everything in a healthy balance was at Wimbledon 2009, and he was the best player of the tournament, despite finishing runner-up.

So why not go back to things that work? You'd think that would be a simple fundamental his coaches would pick up on.

SirGounder
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
It's a shame he doesn't use any of that anymore. He doesn't have to use a big forehand all the time. He just needs to use it when he has an opportunity to end points.

wy2sl0
08-27-2011, 05:09 AM
It's a shame he doesn't use any of that anymore. He doesn't have to use a big forehand all the time. He just needs to use it when he has an opportunity to end points.

This...

What they didn't show is the high percentage of netted attempts. Noone can play that big all the time and be successful. Even our biggest hitters now hit rally balls until they are prepped.

The thing is, ARod doesn't finish points at all anymore - literally. I think honestly if you removed aces from the winners category he would have more unforced errors than winners from every match in the past 3-4 years.

slice serve ace
08-27-2011, 09:24 AM
just recently i found notebook with lots of stats i forgot i even made. among them, this match also. must have been good if i made the stats:)

1st serve %

roddick 62 ( 60, 65 )
safin... 61 ( 62, 60 )

1st serve pts won %

roddick 82 ( 71, 96 )
safin... 79 ( 78, 80 )

2nd serve pts won %

roddick 51 ( 52, 50 )
safin... 56 ( 64, 50 )

service pts won %

roddick 71 ( 63, 80 )
safin... 70 ( 73, 68 )

aces

roddick 13 ( 4, 9 )
safin... 16 ( 8, 8 )

double faults

roddick 2 ( 2, 0 )
safin... 1 ( 1, 0 )

winners ( only clean winners, includes aces )

roddick 32 ( 13, 19 )
safin... 35 ( 17, 18 )

unreturned serves ( number of unreturned serves )

roddick 40 ( 20, 20 )
safin... 31 ( 14, 17 )

unreturned serves % ( percentage of unreturned serves )

roddick 43 ( 38, 50 )
safin... 36 ( 38, 34 )

break points

roddick 1/3 ( 1/1, 0/2 )
safin... 1/7 ( 1/4, 0/3 )

points won

roddick 91 ( 43, 48 )
safin... 88 ( 46, 42 )

devila
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
roddick admitted he didn't believe he was good for the top level and the #1 rank. he cried about federer and wanted to quit tennis after he picked his girlfriend from a magazine he saw.

it's simple.
great players get great coaching, have reliable quick bodies and the same game style that can work on all courts.

from what i heard and read from his family, there was a lack of junior tennis coaching and unfortunately, roddick's parents just wanted praise and money for their own ideas and agendas arising from roddick's salary.

roddick obviously can't take care of himself and play without insulting himself and 'the little people'. he lies & bullies other tennis participants, and begs for charity money from his fans.

you need a knowledgeable family that can say no to tennis AND friends and family who are sane and admit that the bad athleticism and poor fitness are genetic. nothing can change roddick' s early aging.

tacou
08-27-2011, 01:03 PM
good match

OddJack
08-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I checked out the Forehands,

and I was more impressed by Safin's

USERNAME
08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Thats some real tennis right there...

insidetheline100
08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable standing in front of those with 2 racquets and a chest protector.

Ambivalent
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Safin's backhand was a thing of beauty.

ClairHarmony
08-27-2011, 02:16 PM
This is something that happens to many players as they enter the twilight of their career. When Roddick came up, he came up like a bat out of heck, if he were a fighter; he would have been nicknamed as Andy, "The Young Terrier...!" Roddick...ick...ick.

He was a late bloomer, and not really a top prospect. Without the late growth hormone induced bean pole sprouting, it's I think pretty certain that he would have at the very best topped out at the 75-250 range, ala the Goldstein, Russel, Mammit, Taino, Kims, and Bogomolov's (until very recently)...a whole bunch of them have fallen into this category. And it's arguable that he's not necessarily more talented than any of them, but for one area...his serve, and early on, his forehand.

And yet, I don't think his old forehand was fueld so much by natural "talent," per say, as it was just plain old energy. He was a frenetic gungo ho, back then...now, he's just grouchy. Aging and diminishing results will do that almost anyone who isn't born an absolute saint.

His serve, you have to remember, was almost kind of a fluke discovery. Just like how the "French Dip" sandwich was discovered by accident in Los Angeles...sometimes a freak random accident, like swinging ridiculously hard at the ball, can result in miraculous discoveries...and that was how his bazooka canon serve was discovered. Fueled by this new discovery, he went at with the same abandoment as his forehand...only one big problem. It's one thing to hit it big and fearlessly when you're young, and expectations are less, and you have all the time in the world. As Navratalova says, the younger you are, the stupider you are...and in many cases, that's actually an advantage. As you get older, you being to think too much. The more you learn, the more your instincts are dulled. Sport is somewhat like chess, it's also about reaching out and spontaneously grabbing your opponent's throat...as Mike Tyson would say, it's also about a little random impestuousness. In the early days, instincs + testosterone fueled idiocy can go a long way...then, you stop to realize, obey the speed limit and rules of man, on the highway...I could die here if I don't stop to hit the brick wall in time. Hey, no worries...but as you get older, you see many great shots whiz by, and begin to realize how good and talented everyone really is. Becoming suddenly aware of everyone else's greatness, leads to the birth of the scientist within. It's all about convicning stragegy you begin to convince yourself. I've lost a step, so I need to play smarter; why risk hitting the ball out gratuitously when, I can use my new found experience, to investment management my way to the top in points, by never going for broke anymore. At first it doesn't start off that way, for surely you know you must mix up the fastball still as a changeup...but patterns of play become engrained over time, become an obsessive compulsive habit, like playing a neurotic video game in the bathtub, with your hands above the water, to avoid getting electrocuted. Your proud of the "little steps" your taking in your life, but forget how to learn to live again...I mean, *really* LIVE again...like a rockstar! Twang-twang-...twang.

Andy used to look like a rock star with his half-open visor cap, Mark MgGrath hair, and cutting edge blue Billy Ocean Babolat...now, he just looks like he's going through a mid-life former frat boy turned financial analyst crisis, trying to play pro tennis like a rock star while keeping up with the Jones'zzz is hard work...*plus*, the GRIND of tour life no one's talking about. Truth be told, it's gotta effect just about EVERYONE. Eventually ever raw gem that enters the tour gets grinded away by the elemental passing of too many frequent flier miles, and hard terrier-mite runs on the body...you can hire a psycho-trainer all in one breath...but, you're only human and will never be the same, "like...this is soooo way cool out tubular, y'all...can I have all your autographs!" youngin' that once was. Now, you're the gruff veteran in the locker room, huffing and puffing...cough...cough, "Out of my way...hub...huff..huff...SCRUB! ...out of my way," then proceed to accidentally being prone to banging your head into locker room door, then into the trash bin, in search of regurgitated Power Bar's...yuck, this "lifestyle" gets old fast.

Understand the inevitable psychological wear and tear, and then you'll see why the phenomenon of Roddick's diminishing ballzy, ALL-in, forehand is...no more. Is he still capable of letting the hormones all out on the ball? Does a monkey forget how to fart? Surely, of course, he is...but to do, and to *will*...are NOT the same, as sponteously doing electric; like a young cherry pop tart. When you're young, your energy is infectious and enthusiastic. When models and supermodels beging to spontaneously flash their tatas and shining bright faces in your lips for the very first time...it can be a little bit of an eye-opening experience, then you get used to it all...then, the groupies begin to get a little annoying...and now that your hormonal impestuous sexiness isn't quite what it once was, you start to get a little bit offended. And alas, we now arrive at the Andy of today. Only now, the "holes" in his game that were only there are beginning to become more and more exposed...the decidetly average *natural* athleticism (for tour level, but above average in the "real world"); challenger level, natural hand-eye coordination, the less than average "magician's touch" of say Santoro at net...oh wait, he's NOT Santoro.

Exactly. Santoro could chip away at the same relative "peak" level with his chippy-feely-drive you bat crazy insane game, *because he was a natural* at it. You can't take the feelish-dervishness out of whipped cream...but you can, out of hormonally dependent, *GRUNT-fueled* strokes like Andy's old "whipper snapper" forehand. The *hurricane* styled/fueled swings...diminish over time. On serve, it's one thing, because no one's trying to blow the toss right by your slowing legs...you've still got all the time in the world still on your serve. Roddick's big serve, will always make him dangerous, just as sagging ta-tas will always still make you a player in the bars...but to incite bar room brawls from the press, over interviews from you? You need more.

One weapon is not enough. There's nothing wrong with playing a headier, retriever's game...at his heart, that IS Andy's natural style you know. Or, at least, it was before the leap of faith growth hormones gave him...he is a NATURAL PUSHER at core. The only problem for him now, is that just as then, that's "good," but *not good enough.* It's one thing, if you're naturally a blindingly sublime tatctician, who can mix in finesse, *intuitively* as Hingis does. But, that is NOT Andy's "gift." His gift was his "live arm." The serve he can still do, the forehand he no longer has the nerves for, but he can't be like Hingis, take time off, come back, and still strategem tennis to near par excellance like she never left in World Team Tennis. You've got to know what you're BEST at, and unfortunately for Andy, his BEST style, is A) not necessarily his most naturally, *prefferred* style, and B) is one, which does not take as well to the aging process as others. It's like with white skin vs. Asian or African-American spin...a 35-40 year old, Asiana-African-American looks more or less the same resemblance...whereas once beautiful and pristine pale white skin, turns to melting plastic French toast skin seemingly overnight, not like the delightful, mellow-yellow-fudgestickal skin that just melts in your mouth as you get older of other "skin types."

You can tie-dye the hair on cat, but you can't skin the cat. Andy's "best style," is a young man's game. He needs to either sign-up for a medical exemption, and get him some of TRT fast...or diminsh the way of the butterfly...a short, but splendid life it was...but fortunately he's got Daphne, who loves him for him anyway...no seriously, I truly believe that, and will never leave him unless he leaves her for a young, hot broom stick in a closet at a party...like Becker did, oh no, wait, that was a bad example. Andy hopefully retires knowing how much has to be thankful for, and not with regret...for there are more important things in life, than to just bash the bejesus nuts of a forehand. Once the ball has set sail...what are you left with? A supermodel! Hurray! Good luck in your next life Andy, the Disney Channel is looking for the star of it's next family oriented sitcome...and it could be you...starring as the dad! Yay! Hurray! ...man, somebody shoot me, aging sucks! Except for freckles & cheese pizza, at Chucky Cheese...that part, that much, he still likes greatly; "Seconds pleaze!" Now, I can eat all the pizza I want, I'm a millionaire! Ha! "Give me that kid," oom, yum-yum-yum, munch-munch-much..."why is everyone staring at me lately?" News bulletin, "Chucky Cheese bandit, Andy Roddick, hanging loose...at Chucky Cheese, authorities unable to remove him, immenent flooding due, warning, evacuate, evacuate, this is the 'War going on inside Andy's head Right Now,'" where's the ghost of Orsone Wells for a little pep me up talk in the room, where you need him now. "Earth to Orson, earth to Orson, hello...this is Andy, how are you doing today?" Ah, no...wait, progress is futile, Andy is in a straight jacket, and what will my peeps at Tennis Warehouse think about that...or worse, *about me...,* "don't judge me...!" And that's how the career of Andy Roddick came and went, he shouuld have seen a shrink while he still had time, what a waste of a fine human antaomy.

bluetrain4
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
This is something that happens to many players as they enter the twilight of their career. When Roddick came up, he came up like a bat out of heck, if he were a fighter; he would have been nicknamed as Andy, "The Young Terrier...!" Roddick...ick...ick.

He was a late bloomer, and not really a top prospect. Without the late growth hormone induced bean pole sprouting, it's I think pretty certain that he would have at the very best topped out at the 75-250 range, ala the Goldstein, Russel, Mammit, Taino, Kims, and Bogomolov's (until very recently)...a whole bunch of them have fallen into this category. And it's arguable that he's not necessarily more talented than any of them, but for one area...his serve, and early on, his forehand.

And yet, I don't think his old forehand was fueld so much by natural "talent," per say, as it was just plain old energy. He was a frenetic gungo ho, back then...now, he's just grouchy. Aging and diminishing results will do that almost anyone who isn't born an absolute saint.

His serve, you have to remember, was almost kind of a fluke discovery. Just like how the "French Dip" sandwich was discovered by accident in Los Angeles...sometimes a freak random accident, like swinging ridiculously hard at the ball, can result in miraculous discoveries...and that was how his bazooka canon serve was discovered. Fueled by this new discovery, he went at with the same abandoment as his forehand...only one big problem. It's one thing to hit it big and fearlessly when you're young, and expectations are less, and you have all the time in the world. As Navratalova says, the younger you are, the stupider you are...and in many cases, that's actually an advantage. As you get older, you being to think too much. The more you learn, the more your instincts are dulled. Sport is somewhat like chess, it's also about reaching out and spontaneously grabbing your opponent's throat...as Mike Tyson would say, it's also about a little random impestuousness. In the early days, instincs + testosterone fueled idiocy can go a long way...then, you stop to realize, obey the speed limit and rules of man, on the highway...I could die here if I don't stop to hit the brick wall in time. Hey, no worries...but as you get older, you see many great shots whiz by, and begin to realize how good and talented everyone really is. Becoming suddenly aware of everyone else's greatness, leads to the birth of the scientist within. It's all about convicning stragegy you begin to convince yourself. I've lost a step, so I need to play smarter; why risk hitting the ball out gratuitously when, I can use my new found experience, to investment management my way to the top in points, by never going for broke anymore. At first it doesn't start off that way, for surely you know you must mix up the fastball still as a changeup...but patterns of play become engrained over time, become an obsessive compulsive habit, like playing a neurotic video game in the bathtub, with your hands above the water, to avoid getting electrocuted. Your proud of the "little steps" your taking in your life, but forget how to learn to live again...I mean, *really* LIVE again...like a rockstar! Twang-twang-...twang.

Andy used to look like a rock star with his half-open visor cap, Mark MgGrath hair, and cutting edge blue Billy Ocean Babolat...now, he just looks like he's going through a mid-life former frat boy turned financial analyst crisis, trying to play pro tennis like a rock star while keeping up with the Jones'zzz is hard work...*plus*, the GRIND of tour life no one's talking about. Truth be told, it's gotta effect just about EVERYONE. Eventually ever raw gem that enters the tour gets grinded away by the elemental passing of too many frequent flier miles, and hard terrier-mite runs on the body...you can hire a psycho-trainer all in one breath...but, you're only human and will never be the same, "like...this is soooo way cool out tubular, y'all...can I have all your autographs!" youngin' that once was. Now, you're the gruff veteran in the locker room, huffing and puffing...cough...cough, "Out of my way...hub...huff..huff...SCRUB! ...out of my way," then proceed to accidentally being prone to banging your head into locker room door, then into the trash bin, in search of regurgitated Power Bar's...yuck, this "lifestyle" gets old fast.

Understand the inevitable psychological wear and tear, and then you'll see why the phenomenon of Roddick's diminishing ballzy, ALL-in, forehand is...no more. Is he still capable of letting the hormones all out on the ball? Does a monkey forget how to fart? Surely, of course, he is...but to do, and to *will*...are NOT the same, as sponteously doing electric; like a young cherry pop tart. When you're young, your energy is infectious and enthusiastic. When models and supermodels beging to spontaneously flash their tatas and shining bright faces in your lips for the very first time...it can be a little bit of an eye-opening experience, then you get used to it all...then, the groupies begin to get a little annoying...and now that your hormonal impestuous sexiness isn't quite what it once was, you start to get a little bit offended. And alas, we now arrive at the Andy of today. Only now, the "holes" in his game that were only there are beginning to become more and more exposed...the decidetly average *natural* athleticism (for tour level, but above average in the "real world"); challenger level, natural hand-eye coordination, the less than average "magician's touch" of say Santoro at net...oh wait, he's NOT Santoro.

Exactly. Santoro could chip away at the same relative "peak" level with his chippy-feely-drive you bat crazy insane game, *because he was a natural* at it. You can't take the feelish-dervishness out of whipped cream...but you can, out of hormonally dependent, *GRUNT-fueled* strokes like Andy's old "whipper snapper" forehand. The *hurricane* styled/fueled swings...diminish over time. On serve, it's one thing, because no one's trying to blow the toss right by your slowing legs...you've still got all the time in the world still on your serve. Roddick's big serve, will always make him dangerous, just as sagging ta-tas will always still make you a player in the bars...but to incite bar room brawls from the press, over interviews from you? You need more.

One weapon is not enough. There's nothing wrong with playing a headier, retriever's game...at his heart, that IS Andy's natural style you know. Or, at least, it was before the leap of faith growth hormones gave him...he is a NATURAL PUSHER at core. The only problem for him now, is that just as then, that's "good," but *not good enough.* It's one thing, if you're naturally a blindingly sublime tatctician, who can mix in finesse, *intuitively* as Hingis does. But, that is NOT Andy's "gift." His gift was his "live arm." The serve he can still do, the forehand he no longer has the nerves for, but he can't be like Hingis, take time off, come back, and still strategem tennis to near par excellance like she never left in World Team Tennis. You've got to know what you're BEST at, and unfortunately for Andy, his BEST style, is A) not necessarily his most naturally, *prefferred* style, and B) is one, which does not take as well to the aging process as others. It's like with white skin vs. Asian or African-American spin...a 35-40 year old, Asiana-African-American looks more or less the same resemblance...whereas once beautiful and pristine pale white skin, turns to melting plastic French toast skin seemingly overnight, not like the delightful, mellow-yellow-fudgestickal skin that just melts in your mouth as you get older of other "skin types."

You can tie-dye the hair on cat, but you can't skin the cat. Andy's "best style," is a young man's game. He needs to either sign-up for a medical exemption, and get him some of TRT fast...or diminsh the way of the butterfly...a short, but splendid life it was...but fortunately he's got Daphne, who loves him for him anyway...no seriously, I truly believe that, and will never leave him unless he leaves her for a young, hot broom stick in a closet at a party...like Becker did, oh no, wait, that was a bad example. Andy hopefully retires knowing how much has to be thankful for, and not with regret...for there are more important things in life, than to just bash the bejesus nuts of a forehand. Once the ball has set sail...what are you left with? A supermodel! Hurray! Good luck in your next life Andy, the Disney Channel is looking for the star of it's next family oriented sitcome...and it could be you...starring as the dad! Yay! Hurray! ...man, somebody shoot me, aging sucks! Except for freckles & cheese pizza, at Chucky Cheese...that part, that much, he still likes greatly; "Seconds pleaze!" Now, I can eat all the pizza I want, I'm a millionaire! Ha! "Give me that kid," oom, yum-yum-yum, munch-munch-much..."why is everyone staring at me lately?" News bulletin, "Chucky Cheese bandit, Andy Roddick, hanging loose...at Chucky Cheese, authorities unable to remove him, immenent flooding due, warning, evacuate, evacuate, this is the 'War going on inside Andy's head Right Now,'" where's the ghost of Orsone Wells for a little pep me up talk in the room, where you need him now. "Earth to Orson, earth to Orson, hello...this is Andy, how are you doing today?" Ah, no...wait, progress is futile, Andy is in a straight jacket, and what will my peeps at Tennis Warehouse think about that...or worse, *about me...,* "don't judge me...!" And that's how the career of Andy Roddick came and went, he shouuld have seen a shrink while he still had time, what a waste of a fine human antaomy.

Great, entertaining post. I'm assuming you were blissfully high when you wrote this.

Qubax
08-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I would assume he was blissfully high.

scotus
08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Brad Gilbert could probably get Roddick to hit those forehands again.

Bring the wood, he would say!

Dan007
08-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Could the 03-04 Andy Roddick beat the current Roger Federer? It use to be that the Prime Roger Federer handled big hitters w/o much problem but as of late, it is the big hitter thats been giving Fed troubles like Tsonga, Berdych, Delpo(in 09). I think 03-04 Roddick was capable of hitter the ball much bigger and more efficiently than guys like Tsonga or Berdych