PDA

View Full Version : The Winston Salem Open is a complete rip-off

svijk
08-26-2011, 04:38 PM
For a tournament of its size and the fact that it is being held for the first time the ticket prices are really unreasonable

The facility is small and only the center court has seating all 4 sides. The other 3 main courts have seating only one side

I went on Tuesday for the night session and they told me the only thing available was box seat at $70 and all other seats were sold out. When I started watching the match I saw tons of empty seats in the cheaper sections which had almost similar view due to the small size of the stadium. Add to that parking fee of $10 and insane prices for drinks , it was $90 for one singles and a doubles match.

A whole day for earlier rounds at Cincinnati is $45 and at the US Open is about $60.

WS open folks need to get real if they want to keep the event and also make it fan friendly. Pretending to be a premier event just because you have Roddick and Isner isn't going to do it.

moonpie
08-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Hate it when I feel like somebody is ripping me off. I understand why you're angry at WS esp. since the prices are so high for the value given. I noticed at the Dolgo match the other day there was very little seating and even then it was not full. I don't like Cincy since they combined the tournament, but it is great value for the players and matches available.

Pro_Tour_630
08-26-2011, 07:26 PM
better pay up you cheapskate or else they are leaving,

I was a cheapskate when they were at the pilot pen and now regret it, I want them back and this time I will pay. If you can't afford it, find another cheaper sport, maybe bocce ball :)

Tar Heel Tennis
08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
The $6 large "lemonade"...err...water, ice, and half a lemon was a rip-off, but otherwise, I was very happy with the tennis I watched on Tuesday. In my particular situation, the price of admission was well worth the entertainment value.

PS - I understand tix were being sold on groupon for 50% the week before tourney started. You might want to check that out next year.

junbumkim
08-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the tournament. I think its size is equivalent to the RCA tournament in Indianapolis. Though it was about 6 years ago, RCA had better facility and was a little cheaper.

But, it's a good event for the city. When would you see ATP tournament in a city like Winston Salem (no offense)? And, it was a lot of fun watching the pros.

Ripster
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Overpriced food and drinks are commonplace at all tennis tournaments.

travlerajm
08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I went to the Buenos Aires Open earlier this year. It was dirt cheap, relaxed atmosphere, and the fresh fruit smoothies were amazing and inexpensive, even for Argentina.

They even had Nalby play games with fans that they invited out onto the court at the end of his night match.

Also nice that all the sponsors hired leggy models to stand in 4-inch heels in front of all the booths. Great value all around.

Tshooter
08-26-2011, 11:40 PM
It won't make you feel any better but I saw 10 hours of pro tennis today at the USO and it was free. And there was some great stuff. And the players cared. So much so that several of the women cried when they lost. Plus some of the top pros practicing.

It's absolutely ridiculous to have a pro tennis tournament the same time as the USO qualies. The Pilot Pen tried it for years and died.

kishnabe
08-27-2011, 12:29 PM
ATP Montreal I got tickets for 15 dollats....for level 200 seats. That was a cheap as I got!

Maybe since it was a first year event...they were testing th e
prices out. Next year could be different. 25 to 30 bucks is a decnt price to got with!

Up&comer
08-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Honestly, the only unreasonably priced part was the food. Everything else was great for me.

bluescreen
08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
It won't make you feel any better but I saw 10 hours of pro tennis today at the USO and it was free. And there was some great stuff. And the players cared. So much so that several of the women cried when they lost. Plus some of the top pros practicing.

It's absolutely ridiculous to have a pro tennis tournament the same time as the USO qualies. The Pilot Pen tried it for years and died.

Yes sir!

US Open qualies is the best bang for your buck in professional tennis, hands down. Did you catch that Bozoljac match? That was some Grade A entertainment. Qualies never fail to impress me.

bhallic24
08-27-2011, 01:56 PM
ya winston salem needs to step up their game. STop overpricing the **** and realize that they can't compete with a place like flushing meadows or miami or cincinnati. Its winston salem for crying out loud.

Its like teh ugly girl who thinks she's hot. Everyone hates her.

sureshs
08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I paid $90 + tax for the final day of La Costa this month (women's doubles final + women's singles final).

Tshooter
08-27-2011, 08:27 PM
"Did you catch that Bozoljac match?"

I didn't. There is so much going on between the matches and the practice you're bound to miss good stuff.

I saw Harrison practicing way out on ct 16 yesterday and he was looking pretty good. You think he can take down Cilic ?