PDA

View Full Version : Should the USTA consider moving the USO?

Tammo
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Since 2008 all the finals have been on Mondays because of rain. It looks like this year it might happen with hurricane Irene. Also it is very crowded, and takes forever to get anything done. I went last year, and at the food court it took about 25 minutes to get some fries. With the USO being held during the hurricane season it is very likely that this probalem will occur in the future USO's. Ashe is a huge stadium and it would be very difficult to build a roof over it without problems. Should the USO be moved?

Bartelby
08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
The should build a new 15,000 seat roofed stadium on the same site and downsize the Ashe stadium.

Bud
08-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Since 2008 all the finals have been on Mondays because of rain. It looks like this year it might happen with hurricane Irene. Also it is very crowded, and takes forever to get anything done. I went last year, and at the food court it took about 25 minutes to get some fries. With the USO being held during the hurricane season it is very likely that this probalem will occur in the future USO's. Ashe is a huge stadium and it would be very difficult to build a roof over it without problems. Should the USO be moved?

WTF would they move the entire tournament because it's rained out 1-2x per decade? Do you have any idea what it would cost to build a brand new tennis facility?

Are you bored? Some of your threads and posts lately are questionable at best

Tammo
08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
WTF would they move the entire tournament because it's rained out 1-2x per decade? Do you have any idea what it would cost to build a brand new tennis facility?

Are you bored? Some of your threads and posts lately are questionable at best

A little, but don't you realise how much money the USTA has. If they were to build a brand new facility further inland and build a roof they would never have to worry about the players safety or hurricanes. Why would they keep playing at a place where hurricanes and storms would destroy and cause major delays. Even if it doesn't destroy it would cause water damage and blow trash everywhere. I don't think very many of the outside courts nets, fences, and chairs could stand 70+ MPH winds. The players probably don't enjoy the thoughts of power failures (especially Nadal) and other problems.

Bartelby
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
The US Open organizers are definitely tardy about solving the roofing issue.

The thing's televised and the images have to be there on time, every time.

darrinbaker00
08-26-2011, 09:39 PM
A little, but don't you realise how much money the USTA has. If they were to build a brand new facility further inland and build a roof they would never have to worry about the players safety or hurricanes. Why would they keep playing at a place where hurricanes and storms would destroy and cause major delays. Even if it doesn't destroy it would cause water damage and blow trash everywhere. I don't think very many of the outside courts nets, fences, and chairs could stand 70+ MPH winds. The players probably don't enjoy the thoughts of power failures (especially Nadal) and other problems.

Did your mother give you permission to surf the Web this evening?

cc0509
08-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Did your mother give you permission to surf the Web this evening?

LOLLLLLLL.

darrinbaker00
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
The should build a new 15,000 seat roofed stadium on the same site and downsize the Ashe stadium.

If the USTA can do it without raising my membership fee or entry fees for leagues and tournaments, then it's fine by me.

WARPWOODIE
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I wish other cities could host the event every other year alternating with New York as the mainstay. I wonder if the USTA even entertained this idea?

Bartelby
08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
The television companies should demand it and they make a fortune from them, but if they build it I'm sure they'll use it as an excuse to put up fees.

If the USTA can do it without raising my membership fee or entry fees for leagues and tournaments, then it's fine by me.

Bud
08-26-2011, 10:18 PM

You think it only rains along the coast in the states? :| It rains everywhere in the east at this time of the year.

How many hurricanes have actually affected the USO in the past 3 decades? 2 or 3? Those only caused a day or two delay. Also, if a hurricane is coming they are not likely to even have play that day so a roof would be useless. They are talking about evacuating NYC and Long Island over the next couple of days, BTW.

What country are you posting from?

Tshooter
08-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Chances of it being moved = zero.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/08/31/game-set-profit.html

By the way, they've been putting a lot of money into the place lately. They just finished a new court this year that reminds one of court 1 at the French, the so-called "bull ring."

stringertom
08-27-2011, 02:42 AM
I'd like them to move it...away from the first week of the NFL schedule so the men's final doesn't have to go on at 4PM to accomodate CBS. If it was held one week earlier, we could have a men's final in prime time on Labor Day. Get 'er done USTA!

Seriously, I can't imagine the USO anywhere else but NYC. It thrives there, despite the recent run of bad luck with the weather. A retractable-roofed main stadium along with "cozifying" Ashe (maybe with a roof) would perfect the venue... a la Laver/Vodaphone. The USTA has the do-re-mi to do it; they just need a modern-day Slew Hester to kick butt and get 'er done.

Tennis_Monk
08-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I actually think USO should be moved on a rotational basis across USA. Why should it be only NEW YORK ?. Other cities/states are all part of USTA too and contribute resources for it to be successful.

Why cant they have 3-4 parts across US and they all get to host USOPEN on a rotational basis. Year 1 in NYC, year 2 in LosAngeles/California , Year 3 in Texas, etc

In a similar vein, I dont see why the Grandslams should be only hosted by US, France, Aus, England. Historically that was the case but that doesnt mean that should be ONLY way forward.
These tennis associations only WC their own players (with some reciprocal agreements with other Grandslam hosting nations and in some cases to big name players but what abt a struggling player from a non GS nation that could use a Wild card). I am sure there are countries with financial muscle to host a Grandslam.

Tammo
08-27-2011, 05:32 PM
You think it only rains along the coast in the states? :| It rains everywhere in the east at this time of the year.

How many hurricanes have actually affected the USO in the past 3 decades? 2 or 3? Those only caused a day or two delay. Also, if a hurricane is coming they are not likely to even have play that day so a roof would be useless. They are talking about evacuating NYC and Long Island over the next couple of days, BTW.

Of course it rains everywhere, but it wouldn't as much further inland as it would on the coast. They have already cancled kids day. And I'mnot talking about decades I'm talkting about the past few years. Since 08' ALL the finals have been played on a Monday, what more do you want?

Tammo
09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I think this should be bumped:) When I started this thread people said they would never move the USO, THink again.

Mustard
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
A roof on Louis Armstrong stadium would solve most of the problems and it's certainly cheaper than some of the crazy alternatives.

El Diablo
09-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Truth be told the weather in NYC tends to be quite good this time of year, usually with reasonable temperatures and humidity. USTA threatened some years ago to move to areas north of NYC but, probably by design, got so many concessions and perks from the city that they agreed to stay put.

El Diablo
09-07-2011, 03:27 PM
(note -- the lease the City of New York has with the USTA was agreed to and signed in 1993. It runs for 99 years, until 2092.)

Beryl
09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Move it to Shanghai, Madrid, Moscow or Beijing. Get the hell away from the USTA.

Or get someone somewhere to start an indoor slam in a new purposebuilt facility. I'd love a Bercy-esque slam in Germany or the Netherlands.

icazares
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM
To OP: your argument is very valid. The US Open is a disaster. I'm not going to elaborate further, as the issues with the US Open are well known (starting with the worst tennis stadium in the world, bar none, fixing the US Open would require the dismantling and probably demolition of Ashe, I would fly to NYC only to see it happening). Unchallenged and unthreatened monopolies are rarely efficient. But it's true that building and holding a Slam is a huge undertaking so it's hard to find an alternative venue. I like the fact that is hosted in a city and easily reached by public transportation (as opposed to Indian Wells for example). NYC is of course a world class city. The closest competitors that I can think of are Miami and the Legg Mason, and those are a far cry. I have no hopes of anything here in the Bay Area, but once in the East or South Bay, the weather is 100% reliable at that time of the year.

JustBob
09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Simple, no roof? No slam for you! Unfortunately it's all about the $$$

EKnee08
09-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I wish other cities could host the event every other year alternating with New York as the mainstay. I wonder if the USTA even entertained this idea?
Forget about tradition. How much would it cost to have several sites similar to FM to rotate the location. Come on!

Seany
09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Perhaps there is a much simpler solution than moving the venue. Simply move the dates.

I visited the US Open last year (absolutely fantastic experience by the way), and the weather was absolutely amazing up until the thursday/Friday of the last week. Speaking to a lot of veteran New Yorkers, they all told me that the 2nd week of September is generally when the weather takes a turn for the worst, like the transition from Summer to Fall, and that the 2nd week is associated with lots of rain....

Why not experiment next year and move it back in the schedule by 1 week? Yes the calender will need a shuffle, but surely the USTA can manage that, because not having had a sunday final in so many years is extremely damaging for the tournament, this year it's an absolute farce.

I was there last year, they made us wait around until the very last possible minute before calling it off on Sunday, and the stadium was half empty on Monday, hardly a worthy crowd for a GS final...

It should never leave New York, as a tennis fan, going between Manhattan and Flushing every day was one of the greatest experiences of my life, it's a fantastic city.

quest01
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Move it to Shanghai, Madrid, Moscow or Beijing. Get the hell away from the USTA.

Or get someone somewhere to start an indoor slam in a new purposebuilt facility. I'd love a Bercy-esque slam in Germany or the Netherlands.

It's not good for business to move the best grand slam, the US Open to another country and it seems it's mostly foreigners who have something negative to say about the rain delays, USTA officials, commentators, etc... all they do is whine and complain. Foreigners shouldn't be giving advice about what should happen to the US Open such as rotating the US Open to other areas of the US, thats insane and something once again someone from Eurotrash or elsewhere would say.

Ico
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
It's not good for business to move the best grand slam, the US Open to another country and it seems it's mostly foreigners who have something negative to say about the rain delays, USTA officials, commentators, etc... all they do is whine and complain. Foreigners shouldn't be giving advice about what should happen to the US Open such as rotating the US Open to other areas of the US, thats insane and something once again someone from Eurotrash or elsewhere would say.
You make me ashamed to be an American. My feelings have nothing to do with my nationality. I just want two quality weeks of tennis that aren't at the mercy of basic rain.

Milan
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Do away with it. Add a 4th Slam as the WORLD CUP SLAM, and every year have it in a new place (Africa, Buenos Aires, Shanghai, Moskow, Los Angeles, Montreal, Berlin, etc).

Nuke
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I went last year, and at the food court it took about 25 minutes to get some fries.

OMG! The USO definitely must move someplace where the french fry stands move faster!

dennis10is
09-07-2011, 08:17 PM

No, the money from the roofs must come from the public, I've made it perfectly clear. My salary must not be negatively affected.

big ted
09-08-2011, 12:42 AM
it is a little odd that wimbledon and the australian open have a roof before the us open does

TennisLovaLova
09-08-2011, 02:37 AM
No roof
airplanes all day long
incompetent chair umpires and line judges

USO is a nightmare
they should move it to Nevada

onyxrose81
09-08-2011, 04:32 AM
I hate these threads. It's full of stupidity and impractical suggestions and reeks of America bashing. Enough already. The only solution that is viable right now is to put a roof on Armstrong. Stop with the moving bs. The players aren't going to want to play a slam in Texarkana.