PDA

View Full Version : Most cushioned & supportive shoes?

yemenmocha
08-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Any recommendations for a very cushioned & supportive shoe? Out of shape and getting back into the game, and I need all the cushion and support I can get for the harshness of hardcourts. Not a competitive player here, just avoiding injury so I can enjoy my court time.

NB 1004 is what I found on my own but I thought I would ask around.

Your recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks

mctennis
08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I have had good luck with Nike Air Max ______________
I put a line there because Nike seems to change the name when they come out with a new model. I had Air Max Persistence ones at one time. Now I have the newer ones that replaced them. I like leather uppers so that is another reason I use them. I've tried a lot of others and they all hurt my feet when I used them for more than about a half an hour. NB fell apart on me after about two months of minimal use ( 2-6 hours a week of play). Some other brands either are two narrow in the heel or the toe box or have horrible cushioning.

Avadia
08-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Most tennis shoes have very poor support for the foot. I buy whatever shoes I like, and then buy a pair of "Superfeet" orthotics to go in them. These orthotics provide the best support available, in my opinion. I was having knee issues every time I played (and this is on clay courts) until I started using the Superfeet. Now no more knee problems. You can get them at any running store or athletic shoe store, or order them online.

Virtua Tennis
08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
I recomend the K swiss Staiblor's very soft comfortable shoes no break in time at all. It's also great if you have wide feet.

kchau
08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
i used to play with breath free 2's and cage 2's exclusively, i still have 3 pairs of them.

when i put on my first pair of vapor 8 tours, the first thing i thought were "these things fit my feet like a glove, and are nice and cushy"

vegasgt3
08-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I've been happy with the Asics GR3

WildVolley
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm a fan of Yonex shoes, but largely because they fit my feet so well with a wider toe box and normal heel. I find the cushioning normal with excellent shock resistance, but I'm not heavy.

As a general rule, cushioning and support are at odds. A shoe with better support will tend to be less cushioned, as cushioning is sort of the opposite of support. This is why custom orthotics for people with injured feet are pretty much rock hard.

I'd also suggest trying the Asics Gel Resolutions as they have that gooey gel feel underfoot, but are low enough to the ground that I don't believe support is compromised to any degree.

jagmeister
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
These remain the most cushioned shoes I've tried. Currently using last year's Babolat and they don't compare to the T-22. I'm switching back once these wear out.

OldButGame
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
These remain the most cushioned shoes I've tried. Currently using last year's Babolat and they don't compare to the T-22. I'm switching back once these wear out.
Agreed about the T22's,...when my current pair finally wears out i'm buyin another...(presuming they're still around,...)http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

wuchmee
10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I have to add to the Prince T-22 chorus. Most cushioned tennis shoe I've ever worn. No break in needed.

Highly recommended! I'm ordering another pair soon. (I have the green/black/white version.)

Ramon
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Your shoes are probably fine for what you want.

If you want to try an aftermarket insole for added cushioning, you should try the Sof Sol Airr Orthotic (around $30). It has the most cushioning of any insole I tried, and I've tried several. It doesn't have the support you get from a stiffer orthotic, like Powerstep, but it's still better support than any stock insole.