PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic doesn't win the US Open - Disaster?

BeHappy
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
To dominate smaller tournaments and fail to players he's been dominating at both the French and the US Open would be a disaster wouldn't it?

Clarky21
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
He will win it easily. Don't worry.

svijk
08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
disaster ??? smaller tournaments??? are u kidding me......masters are pretty significant tournaments. and oh by the way he won Wimbledon and AO beating the big 2 ....not sure if you know the meaning of disaster

BeHappy
08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
disaster ??? smaller tournaments??? are u kidding me......masters are pretty significant tournaments. and oh by the way he won Wimbledon and AO beating the big 2 ....not sure if you know the meaning of disaster

It would be terrible to lose in the really historically important events to people you've been comprehensively dominating throughout the year. Off the top of your head can you tell me how many Masters titles John McEnroe won?

Evan77
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't get this. what small tournaments? he won 2 majors plus 5 masters this year. I'm scratching my head right now.

svijk
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
It would be terrible to lose to people you've been comprehensively dominating throughout the year. Off the top of your head can you tell me how many Masters titles John McEnroe won?

oh so Masters don't matter ??? why don't u ask Mardy Fish ..lol

Djokovic himself would expect that he might lose, there are no guarantees....its a tough sport but even he will not consider it a disaster if he lost....so why should you.

Mainad
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
It would be terrible to lose in the really historically important events to people you've been comprehensively dominating throughout the year. Off the top of your head can you tell me how many Masters titles John McEnroe won?

According to Wikipedia, he won the equivalent of 19 titles between 1978 and 1985, second only to Lendl who won 22. The Masters series officially didn't start until 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Masters_Series_records_and_statistics

Tennis_Monk
08-27-2011, 03:45 PM
It is more than a disaster. It is the end of the world, Apocalypse, Dooms day...etc

Let me explain. This isnt just because Djokovic didnt win at USopen. The very fact that he lost one more match is all thats needed to trigger this scenario.

On a different note, per TW standards, Djoker shouldnt be on pedestal of favorites any more. He lost a match at Cincy.didnt he?. In this parts of the world, GOATS are decided based on one exhibiton match results let alone a regular tour match.

BeHappy
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
oh so Masters don't matter ??? why don't u ask Mardy Fish ..lol

Djokovic himself would expect that he might lose, there are no guarantees....its a tough sport but even he will not consider it a disaster if he lost....so why should you.

See if anyone remembers Mardy Fish winning a masters in 10 years time

According to Wikipedia, he won the equivalent of 19 titles between 1978 and 1985, second only to Lendl who won 22. The Masters series officially didn't start until 1990.

Exactly, you had to go to Wikipedia. Everyone knows he's a multiple Wimbledon and USO champion though. That's the difference.

svijk
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
let me make this simple for you since you don't get logic.....

Its NOT a Disaster to lose a tennis match especially if you have had such a fabulous year :). Disaster is what is happening now due to the hurricane

BeHappy
08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
let me make this simple for you since you don't get logic.....

Its NOT a Disaster to lose a tennis match especially if you have had such a fabulous year :). Disaster is what is happening now due to the hurricane

That's interesting. Just curious, which year would you prefer:

1. Lose at lots of masters and atp events, win all 4 majors. (like Rod Laver in 1969)

or 2. Be Djokovic and lose the USO and finish the year 83-3?

Bryan Swartz
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
"Everybody knows" a lot of nonsense about athletes in their favorite sport, whatever it may be. Some of what they know is irrelevant.

What the average casual fan thinks of a player's career is not necessarily the most important thing.

svijk
08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
now this is a different discussion dude.....you are asking if point 2. is a disaster and I'm saying its not... even a 5 yr old can understand it

HunterST
08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
it certainly wouldn't be a disaster. However, Only winning two majors this year when he has completely and utterly dominated the field would be a bit disappointing for him.

Mainad
08-27-2011, 04:10 PM
See if anyone remembers Mardy Fish winning a masters in 10 years time

He will and I will and so will lots of other tennis nerds! :)

Exactly, you had to go to Wikipedia. Everyone knows he's a multiple Wimbledon and USO champion though. That's the difference.

Sorry, I took your question too literally (the nerd in me). But if, by everyone, you mean us tennis nerds and the general public...all of us will know that John McEnroe won many titles in his career including many Grand Slams. But only us tennis nerds will know precisely how many Slams,which ones they were, and how many other Master equivalent titles he won.

Mainad
08-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Djokovic not winning the US Open will hardly be a disaster. He's won 2 Slams already this year along with 7 other titles. Shoulder permitting, it would be a surprise though if he didn't get past the early rounds.

kishnabe
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
LOL....It only a disaster if Djokovic didn't win any slams this year.

Maybe next year we will see....

Sentinel
08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
From your wording, you mean it will be a disaster if he loses to Nadal in the final. So it will be a disaster if Rafa wins the USO.

Hmmmmm.... you could have a point.....

jackson vile
08-28-2011, 07:29 AM
To really legitimate his claim as a GOAT he needs to end the year with no more losses. Shame he lost focus at the FO, he could have a true grand slam.

tennis_fan_182
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Every slam final for the next 5 - 10 years is a NADAL - DJOKOVIC lock.

This US Open is a lock for Djokovic.

They might as well give him the trophy now.

Telepatic
08-28-2011, 07:49 AM
End of the world as we know it.

http://www.gl3nnx.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/may21-rapture-300x225.jpg

Mustard
08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
To dominate smaller tournaments and fail to players he's been dominating at both the French and the US Open would be a disaster wouldn't it?

Disaster? LOL. 99.9% of tennis players would gladly take such a "disaster" with the year Djokovic has had.

djokovic2008
08-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Disaster? LOL. 99.9% of tennis players would gladly take such a "disaster" with the year Djokovic has had.

To win two slams a year is great, I think his best chance will always be AO as the courts are slow to meduim then its just one of the other three from there.

I really think he can win two slams a year from this point on for many years to come!!!

glazkovss
08-28-2011, 09:08 AM
No, it wouldn't. Roger also won only 2 slams in 2005, a stellar year even by his standarts.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Disaster? You mean like a hurricane? :)
Djoko still has 5 masters and 2 slams for the season and he's unlikely to lose #1 even if he loses at USO. That's the kind of disastrous season everyone would love to have.

ETA: to give you some perspective, Djoko has currently 9 titles and the second most successful player of the season (Rafa) has 3.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
No, it wouldn't. Roger also won only 2 slams in 2005, a stellar year even by his standarts.

and Fed only won 4 masters in 2005.

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 01:02 PM
It certainly wouldn't be a disaster in the true sense of the word, as we're all pointing out in some amusement.^^^ Djoker's had an extraordinary year, well earned, and no one can take that away from him.

Nonetheless, it was on hardcourt, Djoker's territory, where Nadal finally won his precious career slam last year - while on Djoker's watch, no less! Last year's US Open had to weigh a bit heavy on the mind of our Serbian lad. :)

I suspect Djoker's feeling extra fired up to take it "back." But if he loses it again, and especially to Nadal, well...it'd be a little embarrassing.

celoft
08-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Why a disaster?

Fed's 2005 was anything but a disaster.

Sampras, Borg, Agassi, JMac, Lendl never had years where they won 3 slams.

Clarky21
08-28-2011, 01:22 PM
It certainly wouldn't be a disaster in the true sense of the word, as we're all pointing out in some amusement.^^^ Djoker's had an extraordinary year, well earned, and no one can take that away from him.

Nonetheless, it was on hardcourt, Djoker's territory, where Nadal finally won his precious career slam last year - while on Djoker's watch, no less! Last year's US Open had to weigh a bit heavy on the mind of our Serbian lad. :)

I suspect Djoker's feeling extra fired up to take it "back." But if he loses it again, and especially to Nadal, well...it'd be a little embarrassing.

Like Djokovic already humiliated Nadal by whooping him 5 straight times this year? All of them in finals? Nothing could be more embarrassing than that. :oops:

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Embarrassing? That's ridiculous. So Rafa's W loss to Djoko should have been embarrassing? Because Rafa had way more expertise on grass than Djoko and he was the favorite.
The truth is they're the 2 best players of the season but as it stands, Djoko's is vastly superior to Rafa's. If Rafa won USO, it would make him equal to Djoko in slams (which would totally delight me) but it would still be 1 master vs 5, so no matter what happened at USO, Rafa would remain the 2nd best player of the year (unless he also won WTF of course :))

celoft
08-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Like Djokovic already humiliated Nadal by whooping him 5 straight times this year? All of them in finals? Nothing could be more embarrassing than that. :oops:

I tell you what would be more embarrassing: Nole beating Nadal at all the slams from now on. On the biggest stage. :oops:

d4o
08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
The result doesn't matter as long as the tournament goes on.

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 01:35 PM

My point exactly, dear Clarky. If Djoker lost to Nadal after all that - in the US Open, no less - it'd be quite the downer for him. And, apparently, for you, too.:twisted:

Clarky21
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
My point exactly, dear Clarky. If Djoker lost to Nadal after all that - in the US Open, no less - it'd be quite the downer for him. And, apparently, for you, too.:twisted:

Wow,are you delusional. Djokovic losing one final to Nadal(it will never happen anyway) out of 6 is not embarraassing for Djokovic. Novak has made Nadal look pathetic this year. He has humiliated him big time,and I'm not so sure Nadal will recover mentally from it.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM

I doubt it. Clarky admitted to hating Djokovic in another thread :neutral: (The thing is he hates Nadal as much :-?)

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I doubt it. Clarky admitted to hating Djokovic in another thread :neutral:

Clarky's a Djoker Lover in sheep's clothing.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Clarky's a Djoker Lover in sheep's clothing.

Lol he sure doesn't post like one :mad:

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Lol he sure doesn't post like one :mad:

You need to read.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
You need to read.

What I've read hasn't convinced me yet. Maybe he's a Fed fan.

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
What I've read hasn't convinced me yet. Maybe he's a Fed fan.

He's/she's pure Djoker...tries to pretend he/she ain't.

But Clarky's kinda reactionary, too. Tea Party-like.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
He's/she's pure Djoker...tries to pretend he/she ain't.

But Clarky's kinda reactionary, too. Tea Party-like.

Wow (Keanu style :))

Tony48
08-28-2011, 11:44 PM
"Disaster" is the wrong word.

zagor
08-29-2011, 01:15 AM
It's hilarious how Fedal longterm dominance affects people's expectations of players. No, if Novak fails to win a single match for the rest of the year his season would have still been fantastic.

To be honest I don't see him winning USO, I think he's burned out, mentally and physically.

(It will be a disaster, especially if Nadal wins it, that makes it 2 slams for Nadal in an "off-year" clear sign he's on the way to 16)

Nadal isn't having an off year.

NadalAgassi
08-29-2011, 01:20 AM
It's hilarious how Fedal longterm dominance affects people's expectations of players. No, if Novak fails to win a single match for the rest of the year his season would have still been fantastic.

To be honest I don't see him winning USO, I think he's burned out, mentally and physically.

Who else can win it. Federer and Nadal sure as heck arent winning it this year. You really think Murray will win it since that is the only other feasible possability.

cc0509
08-29-2011, 01:20 AM

I don't think so. I think Djokovic is hungry for more. Once you get on a winning streak it becomes addictive and the more you win, the more still you want to win. Don't think he is quite ready to get off the roller coaster ride yet. It just depends on how the other top three play at the USO. Based on recent months it sure looks like Djokovic will win it to me at least, but it's tennis so who knows for sure.

zagor
08-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Who else can win it. Federer and Nadal sure as heck arent winning it this year. You really think Murray will win it since that is the only other feasible possability.

Actually yes, my pick is Murray and I don't think I ever picked him as a winner for any other slam up until now.

My second pick is Nadal.

I don't think so. I think Djokovic is hungry for more. Once you get on a winning streak it becomes addictive and the more you win, the more still you want to win. Don't think he is quite ready to get off the roller coaster ride yet. It just depends on how the other top three play at the USO. Based on recent months it sure looks like Djokovic will win it to me at least, but it's tennis so who knows for sure.

I don't doubt for a moment that he wants to win USO badly(motivation is not the issue) but his body language in Montreal/Cincy and his performance against Murray in Cincy final lead me to believe that he overplayed, his dominance this year has taken it's toll IMO. If he skipped Cincy(which he should have done) he would have been my pick.

Bud
08-29-2011, 01:42 AM
To really legitimate his claim as a GOAT he needs to end the year with no more losses. Shame he lost focus at the FO, he could have a true grand slam.

Yep.. probably the only year he'll have a shot at a true calendar year GS. He'll be kicking himself if he wins the USO

Too bad, so sad :)

TennisFan3
08-29-2011, 02:06 AM

Since when was Montreal Cincy a good indication of the UsOpen winner? Same thing was said about DJoko once he lost to Fed in RG and then went on a break. Everyone was writing him off Wimbledon, and look what happened.

I can guarantee one thing: It will take the best match of their career for someone to beat Djoko. I don't trust Murray to do this in slams, and Nadal lately doesn't seem to have any answers for Djokovic.

The only remaining possibility is Fed, provided he has one of his crazy serving days. Even then Fed will have to hope for Djoker to a bit off. But yeah, Fed probably remains the only player on tour who can beat Djoko's A game at this time..

roysid
08-29-2011, 02:47 AM

That's interesting. So Nadal has to beat Lendl's 22 to be the actual holder of that record.

In earlier days though, Masters were not publicised as such.

celoft
08-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Despite all the hype I think someone else will win the USO this year.

NamRanger
08-29-2011, 06:39 AM
(Yes he is, his winning% is only 84%. That is one of his lowest ever)

One of his lowest ever... lol...

Only up until recently Nadal has played bad. But all the way up to Wimbledon he was playing his A game and only stopped by one man the entire time. Were it not for Djokovic Nadal would be likely sitting on 2 slam titles and a truckload of Masters at the moment.

celoft
08-29-2011, 07:46 AM
(I think Federer-Nadal-Djokovic have won 24 of the last 25 slams! It would be highly unlikely anyone else will win)

I think either Federer or Murray will win it.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Only up until recently Nadal has played bad. But all the way up to Wimbledon he was playing his A game and only stopped by one man the entire time. Were it not for Djokovic Nadal would be likely sitting on 2 slam titles and a truckload of Masters at the moment.

Yes,it is one of the lowest winning percentages of his career,and his lowest since 2004. And no way was he playing his A game before Wimbledon when he was being taken to 3 sets by the likes of 158th ranked Paolo Lorenzi,and struggling with players like Devvarman. And no way does Nadal playing well get taken to 5 sets on clay by John Isner,and struggle the way he did through the first week of RG with players he would normally beat with little trouble. Nadal has been off his game the entire year with only a few decent matches thrown in here and there. No way has he played anywhere close to his best this year.

cknobman
08-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Djoker - burnout
Nadal - low confidence
Federer - roll the dice mentally
Murray - mental inability to pull off the "big one"

I dont know who will win to be honest.

In the two brackets right now I am participating in these are my semis:

Nole-Fed
Murray-Rafa

and

Nole-Fed
Delpo-Rafa

As you can see out of the big "4" Delpo is the only other person I have any hope for.

Well see.

If Rafa pulls the USO off it will be an amazing boost to his confidence and keep him firing on all cylinders into next year.

If Roger pulls the USO off it will keep him in the conversation and possibly ward off all the people talking about his decline (if only for a few more months).

If Novak pulls the USO off it keeps his "greatest season in history" alive and could possibly seal it off.

If Murray pulls the USO off it will be the first time he does not brain fart in a major.

TBO I want Delpo to win and mark his comeback to the top level complete.

Carsomyr
08-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Yes,it is one of the lowest winning percentages of his career,and his lowest since 2004. And no way was he playing his A game before Wimbledon when he was being taken to 3 sets by the likes of 158th ranked Paolo Lorenzi,and struggling with players like Devvarman. And no way does Nadal playing well get taken to 5 sets on clay by John Isner,and struggle the way he did through the first week of RG with players he would normally beat with little trouble. Nadal has been off his game the entire year with only a few decent matches thrown in here and there. No way has he played anywhere close to his best this year.

Uh, no. He had lower winning percentages in 2006, 2007, and 2009.

Evan77
08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Disaster, lol. He is #1. He's made so much money. He won 2 majors this year. Who cares? I do think he'll take the USO.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted for truth. Nadal is as peak as ever. Djokovic is simply blinding the *****.

zagor
08-29-2011, 09:19 AM
(Yes he is, his winning% is only 84%. That is one of his lowest ever)

So know it's winning percentage that is the most important.

Ok, then we can agree that Nadal's best year to date is 2005, right? The highest winning percentage and highest # of titles. It seems that in the best year of his career to date Nadal couldn't handle Fed's "weak" opposition like Hewitt and Blake.

zagor
08-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Since when was Montreal Cincy a good indication of the UsOpen winner? Same thing was said about DJoko once he lost to Fed in RG and then went on a break. Everyone was writing him off Wimbledon, and look what happened.

I can guarantee one thing: It will take the best match of their career for someone to beat Djoko. I don't trust Murray to do this in slams, and Nadal lately doesn't seem to have any answers for Djokovic.

The only remaining possibility is Fed, provided he has one of his crazy serving days. Even then Fed will have to hope for Djoker to a bit off. But yeah, Fed probably remains the only player on tour who can beat Djoko's A game at this time..

Well we'll find out soon. I'd like to see Novak finally win USO and as I said I'm sure he really wants to but there's a limit for everyone and I think Novak reached his this year, he was having shoulder issues in Cincy and was displayed poor body language on court in Montreal, had lapses on concentration and was dropping service games left and right.

I still maintain that he should have skipped Cincy entirely, he played too much especially considering his playing style which consists of playing a lot of defense (his court coverage is second to none right now).

TTMR
08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
If Federer's 2005 was not a disaster, then in no way is Djokovic's if he fails to win the USO. It would be a brilliant, historic season regardless.

Novak123
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Don't worry, he's guaranteed to win it. No question at all.