PDA

View Full Version : Best Backhand in the Women's Game Today

jodd
08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Perhaps there is another one of these existing somewhere in the archives of the forum, but I could not find it. Besides, I figured that the appearance of a few new, potentially yet-to-be-considered faces might make the creation of a new thread valid.

So who's the best off this wing?

I feel like this is actually a bit harder to figure out than the 'forehand' question, because so many women on tour count their backhands as their bread and butter - I feel like it's rare to find one who counts hers as a weakness, or anything less than a weapon. There's a lot more depth, I guess you could say.

Names that come to mind for me: Wozniacki, Sharapova, Serena, Venus (of old?), Kvitova,...Clijsters?

Maybe's: Azarenka, Li?

TenFanLA
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Perhaps there is another one of these existing somewhere in the archives of the forum, but I could not find it. Besides, I figured that the appearance of a few new, potentially yet-to-be-considered faces might make the creation of a new thread valid.

So who's the best off this wing?

I feel like this is actually a bit harder to figure out than the 'forehand' question, because so many women on tour count their backhands as their bread and butter - I feel like it's rare to find one who counts hers as a weakness, or anything less than a weapon. There's a lot more depth, I guess you could say.

Names that come to mind for me: Wozniacki, Sharapova, Serena, Venus (of old?), Kvitova,...Clijsters?

Maybe's: Azarenka, Li?

Woz, no, her BH looks good because her FH is so weak. Sharapova, too up and down. Serena and Venus cannot rally with Clijsters BH to BH. I've seen it in person.

Clijsters, Li and Kvitova have the best BH's imo in no particular order.

tennis_fan85
08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Jankovic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8XVlhSV1c

5 minutes of bhdtl goodness

DeShaun
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I would say Fran, she rips that spinny slightly unearthadocks one hander beautifully AT THE RIGHT MOMENT in rallies, and she does NOT COMMIT too many ERRORS with it, so hers is pretty good I think.

TERRASTAR18
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
serena hands down, one of the best in history, kimmy's is very good but to me lacks the penetration and pure shotmaking of sw, not to mention sw has done this on all surfaces in many variety of mtches.

FedExpress 333
08-28-2011, 01:33 AM
justine henin b4 they retired.

AhmedD
08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Henin had a really good backhand, she has a lot of versatility on that side, plus she can still rip winners with it.

Serena has a really good backhand, consistent, penetrating, powerful. Venus had a good one, but it really deteriorated.

Other name included would be Sharapova, Kvitova, Li.

I can't really order them.

lonux
08-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Kvitova? Are you kidding me?

Li has a world class backhand. But so does Sharapova, Clijsters, Wozniacki,...

If Venus is on, her backhand is the best by far. Unfortunately you're asking about today, so I'm saying Sharapova.

zhukov97
08-28-2011, 10:15 AM

If Venus is on, her backhand is the best by far. Unfortunately you're asking about today, so I'm saying Sharapova.

Sharapova? Are you kidding me?
You made my day to laugh until being choked by my salivary.

Ripster
08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Jankovic has the best backhand IMO. Her forehand, serve and volley have never been strong.

She basically got to #1 in the world with one amazing stroke and her movement.

HiroProtagonist
08-28-2011, 10:27 AM

I guess you missed the Wimby women's final....