PDA

View Full Version : Roddick Too Nice?

Colpo
07-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Am I alone in thinking that Andy's post-match comments on Sunday betrayed just the slightest bit of advance preparation, as in: "Well, I don't have much of a shot here, so what can I say to humor/appease the crowd to my side?" I don't really think he thinks about his lines beforehand, but one could have predicted that AR, from what we've seen of him already, would go soft during the awards presentation, smiley and stuff. He can be a gentleman without being Joe One-Liner.

I'm only saying this because losing to one guy this much, without seeing much hope for change, can break a person's spirit. I'd just like to see him be pleasant, but still show a little grimace, a little hard edge, to show that he's ****ed it went down this way and that he'll work like hell to change things.

The Michael Jordan in Roger Federer must be smiling wide inside after these wins, watching AR make his "he threw the tub at me" jokes and whatnot. If I were Federer, I'd take it as a small sign that I've got the guy's number, let him make all the jokes and turn on all the charm he wants.

TwistServe
07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
What else is gonna say.. he lost.. if it was a close match he could say Ohh I had this but I let it slip.. it wont happen again..

mylet
07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Am I alone in thinking that Andy's post-match comments on Sunday betrayed just the slightest bit of advance preparation, as in: "Well, I don't have much of a shot here, so what can I say to humor/appease the crowd to my side?" I don't really think he thinks about his lines beforehand, but one could have predicted that AR, from what we've seen of him already, would go soft during the awards presentation, smiley and stuff. He can be a gentleman without being Joe One-Liner.

I'm only saying this because losing to one guy this much, without seeing much hope for change, can break a person's spirit. I'd just like to see him be pleasant, but still show a little grimace, a little hard edge, to show that he's ****ed it went down this way and that he'll work like hell to change things.

The Michael Jordan in Roger Federer must be smiling wide inside after these wins, watching AR make his "he threw the tub at me" jokes and whatnot. If I were Federer, I'd take it as a small sign that I've got the guy's number, let him make all the jokes and turn on all the charm he wants.

Give the guy a break! He was trying desperately to lift his spirits and others too..(his fans) If anything, one needs to commend him for his humour and positive attitude...He definitely won me over after his light-hearted interview. He made a great point to say (paraphrase) it's not the end of the world...life goes on and beating himslef about the loss..is simply counterproductive and unnecessary...bottom line...Roddick...my kind of hero...

Kevin Patrick
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I'm a little tired of Roddick saying Federer is the most talented player of all time, he's just too good, etc(even if it's true)
Professional athletes should never sound this defeatist, it gives their opponents even more confidence(imagine what Fed will think if it's crunch time in a close match-"This guy doesn't think he can beat, what do I have to worry about?")

I'm not saying he needs to be Connors-like(never acknowledging great play by opponent, even when he was thrashed), but tone down the "happy loser" act.
Heck, even Evert was never this humble when Martina N was thrashing her over a 2 year period.

nn
07-06-2005, 01:23 PM
i think so Roddick he is nice but so some becker style attitude.. it does not mean say all the time Roger is great.. let it be and play your game

NoBadMojo
07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
roddick is 22 i think? you guys need to give him time in that department...he'll develop that way as far as best handling stuff in press conferences. the guy isnt exactly warm and fuzzy out on the court now is he?..i'm just thinking that i dont know if he can really bring his game along much farther, and other players <even fed> still seem to be improving, so maybe that is his real problem..i think the guy is a hard worker and gutsy and puts it all out there..i just dont think he can improve so much

alienhamster
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, Federer made a weird face when Roddick said he should maybe just punch him. That was clearly a joke, but it was more aggressive (or at least passive-aggressive) than the smiley portrait you're painting of Roddick.

When he said something like "I don't care if I lose to him 30 more times, I'm going to keep working till I get good enough to beat him," that doesn't sound defeatist at all. It's realistic. It's an acknowledgement that Federer is a better player (which Hewitt has done as well). But it's not weak.

alan-n
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
The fact was Federer was hitting all his shots, which is more than any tennis player ever. Roddick's compliments don't fall into the defeatist attitude, look at the shots and winners / UE ratio before the rain delay. Federer was hitting outright winners against anyone. This is tennis on grass, the ball bounces right into Federer's strike zone. Even though the grass plays closer to a hard court now it still doesn't play like a hard court.