PDA

View Full Version : Federer & Fish - 'USO Surface slowed down this year'!

jones101
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Fish:

Q. Serve and volley is an important part of your game. Do you feel that's a feature that's coming back into the men's game a bit more, especially on hard courts?

MARDY FISH: I don't think it's coming back in. I don't see much of it from anyone. They've even slowed down - they've even slowed down this surface, which is frustrating, because this is one of the - this was definitely the fastest slam surface wise that we've had. Now with it being, you know, much slower out here this year, it's sort of fit right in with Australia. There's really not - there is a lot of really slow Grand Slams now surface wise. Cincinnati and Montreal were extremely fast; Montreal was an extremely fast surface. I would prefer to play on that surface every single tournament, but it's not how it works out here. So, you know, that type of court can warrant some serving and volleying and coming forward. You can't serve and volley all the time. Guys return too good, so you've got to keep them off balance and off guard. I will certainly come to the net here, I have to, but maybe a little bit less than there.

Q. Who would it favor, the slowness of the surface, out of all the top guys?

MARDY FISH: I think it will favor Djokovic quite a bit. I think it will play a lot like Australia, to be honest. I think at night it will play much slower than during the day. You know, days when it's pretty humid it will play much slower. You know, but Rafa likes those conditions, as well, so it's hard to - I mean, Djokovic is, you know, the No. 1 player in the world, so it's hard not to say that he's the favorite. But certainly some guys that can beat him. I would say he is.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-27/201108271314461860429.html

Federer:

'Conditions have been somewhat okay here in New York. Seems a bit slower, the surface, actually, I thought really when I was playing now. But I don't want to say it's a slight adjustment, because it's not a crazy difference to previous years, but it is slower. That's my opinion. So that has maybe an impact rather than who you play and how you play them.'

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-27/201108271314459947583.html

tennis_fan_182
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Veroniquem - you really can't talk about preemptive excuses when your man is The King of them.

"Well for, sure, I will give my best, no? But he is the favorite."

That is a direct quote from the pre-match interview for Nadal's Wimbledon 2011 1st round match against Michael Russell.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Veroniquem - you really can't talk about preemptive excuses when your man is The King of them.

"Well for, sure, I will give my best, no? But he is the favorite."

That is a direct quote from the pre-match interview for Nadal's Wimbledon 2011 1st round match against Michael Russell.

That is downplaying his chances. Nothing to do with whining about conditions but yeah you're right, Rafa does it too sometimes.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2011, 01:23 PM
criminals, to slow all GS surfaces

celoft
08-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Boring. All 4 slams are playing like claycourts.

d4o
08-28-2011, 01:34 PM
:-DNow we are going to have two Roland Garros one in Paris and one in New York if what federer and fish say is true.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 01:41 PM
No one has changed the USO surface. Those people are paranoid. Maybe the balls?

rafanadal fan4e
08-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Why are all of you guys obsesed with all
The surfaces being slowed?

Clarky21
08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Why are all of you guys obsesed with all
The surfaces being slowed?

The surfaces are becoming all too similar,and evidenced by the number of career slam winners we have seen,or will see in just the last 3 years. Federer in 2009,Nadal in 2010,and Djokovic in 2012. Accomplishing a career slam used to be extremely difficult to do,now anyone who can run down every ball and push it back over the net can do it. People want variety,aand they have taken that away by making every surface the same.

rafanadal fan4e
08-28-2011, 01:56 PM
So clarky you like to see faster surfaces than slow surfaces? Personally i dont like the points of 2 or 3 shots, for me roland garros is the best because we can see good rallies

Smasher08
08-28-2011, 02:06 PM
IIRC, they can add more sand when resurfacing and slow it down.

Definitely an advantage to Djoker, but then again Rafa beat him last year when it played faster.

Definitely a disadvantage to Berdy & Ali.

Clarky21
08-28-2011, 02:08 PM
So clarky you like to see faster surfaces than slow surfaces? Personally i dont like the points of 2 or 3 shots, for me roland garros is the best because we can see good rallies

I like a mix of both. I just don't want every surface to be slowed down to a crawl. And I agree with you about not wanting the points to be over in 2-3 shots. That kind of tennis is dull,but I also don't want to see marathon rallies lasting 50 or 60 shots. Not only does that get boring,but it also puts a lot of mileage on the players and shortens their careers.

celoft
08-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Accomplishing a career slam used to be extremely difficult to do,now anyone who can run down every ball and push it back over the net can do it. People want variety,aand they have taken that away by making every surface the same.

I concur.....

NamRanger
08-28-2011, 02:40 PM
No one has changed the USO surface. Those people are paranoid. Maybe the balls?

Yeah and Wimbledon was the exact same speed from 2002 until now. Loooool.

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
This is not about grass. It's about USO. They haven't changed the surface since last year.

IvanisevicServe
08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I thought the USO seemed slower last year, but then I kind of chalked it up to it being even windier than usual.

I'm starting to think it's really about the balls. Look at how quick the French Open played this year.

RCizzle65
08-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Could the major rain be a factor on the courts?

The surfaces are becoming all too similar,and evidenced by the number of career slam winners we have seen,or will see in just the last 3 years. Federer in 2009,Nadal in 2010,and Djokovic in 2012. Accomplishing a career slam used to be extremely difficult to do,now anyone who can run down every ball and push it back over the net can do it. People want variety,aand they have taken that away by making every surface the same.

Djokovic is no lock to winning it by next year....and it's not like random people are making it deep into slams, I'd hardly call Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic "anyone". While all three are great movers, they all play aggressive as well (Federer of course always playing aggressive), Nadal turned up his aggression last year for his US Open win, and he stands closer to the baseline at Wimbledon, etc. Djokovic always stands close to the baseline unless he's tracking down balls.

But I do agree that every slam becoming slow is boring, we need variety.

MajinX
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
more bad news for roddick lol. Usopen used to be one of the slams he knows he can do well in, now he goes in less confident and more vulnerable.

TopFH
08-28-2011, 03:47 PM

You must do, considering your name.

I hate slower surfaces. Guys that make tennis entertaining, such as Llodra and Fish, have less chance in a slow court. I guess they must do everything to make the sport the same, right?

thelastfurlong
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
It would be really nice if there could be more variety at the slams. IMHO the grass should be lightning fast, the clay slow and have a quickish hard court at the US open & a slowish hard court in Australia.

And i agree that if Djokovic wins the career slam it would be more than just a coincidence of a "golden era".

rossi46
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Fish:

Q. Serve and volley is an important part of your game. Do you feel that's a feature that's coming back into the men's game a bit more, especially on hard courts?

MARDY FISH: I don't think it's coming back in. I don't see much of it from anyone. They've even slowed down - they've even slowed down this surface, which is frustrating, because this is one of the - this was definitely the fastest slam surface wise that we've had. Now with it being, you know, much slower out here this year, it's sort of fit right in with Australia. There's really not - there is a lot of really slow Grand Slams now surface wise. Cincinnati and Montreal were extremely fast; Montreal was an extremely fast surface. I would prefer to play on that surface every single tournament, but it's not how it works out here. So, you know, that type of court can warrant some serving and volleying and coming forward. You can't serve and volley all the time. Guys return too good, so you've got to keep them off balance and off guard. I will certainly come to the net here, I have to, but maybe a little bit less than there.

Q. Who would it favor, the slowness of the surface, out of all the top guys?

MARDY FISH: I think it will favor Djokovic quite a bit. I think it will play a lot like Australia, to be honest. I think at night it will play much slower than during the day. You know, days when it's pretty humid it will play much slower. You know, but Rafa likes those conditions, as well, so it's hard to - I mean, Djokovic is, you know, the No. 1 player in the world, so it's hard not to say that he's the favorite. But certainly some guys that can beat him. I would say he is.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-27/201108271314461860429.html

Federer:

'Conditions have been somewhat okay here in New York. Seems a bit slower, the surface, actually, I thought really when I was playing now. But I don't want to say it's a slight adjustment, because it's not a crazy difference to previous years, but it is slower. That's my opinion. So that has maybe an impact rather than who you play and how you play them.'

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-27/201108271314459947583.html

Yeah but how will the humidity impact his poor little burnt fingers ??

CocaCola
08-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Boring, L&G, boring.

mistik
08-28-2011, 04:41 PM
we have seen how effective Fish was on a fast surface against Spain on DC. a surface thats chosen by Usa to stop Spanish players. Fish better concentrate on his own game and shut his mouth.He isnt a great player anyway but this Us Open can still be an oppurtunity for a very good result,better he used it instead of finding stupid excuses.SAME FOR FED as well.

Bud
08-28-2011, 04:46 PM
The USO resurfaced all the courts for 2011? Probably not. Change balls.. doubt it.

Most likely the weather is affecting perceived court speed and ball movement through the air ;)

we have seen how effective Fish was on a fast surface against Spain on DC. a surface thats chosen by Usa to stop Spanish players. Fish better concentrate on his own game and shut his mouth.He isnt a great player anyway but this Us Open can still be an oppurtunity for a very good result,better he used it instead of finding stupid excuses.SAME FOR FED as well.

That was hilarious :) Spain wiped the floor with the US on their chosen surface.. IN the US

Lsmkenpo
08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
The USO resurfaced all the courts for 2011? Probably not. Change balls.. doubt it.

Most likely the weather is affecting perceived court speed and ball movement through the air ;)

That was hilarious :) Spain wiped the floor with the US on their chosen surfce.. IN the US

The US Open courts are all resurfaced every single year prior to the tournament.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/03/setting_the_pace.html

Fedace
08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
So does that mean, RAFA has a better chance of repeating as US open champion ?

JustBob
08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Hard courts are resurfaced every year in every major tournament, whether it's a slam or a Masters 1000.

And I seriously doubt that the courts in Montreal are significantly faster (or slower) than at the USO because players want the surface to be as close as possible to what it will be at the USO and tournament organizers are always in communication with each other in that regard. So perceived differences will have much more to do with balls used and climate conditions that with the speed of the actual court surface itself.

HiroProtagonist
08-28-2011, 07:37 PM

First try to figure it out on your own, then if you can't get it we'll help you out. You're never going to learn if we keep giving you all the answers.

Clarky21
08-28-2011, 07:50 PM

I don't think so. I think this change favors Djokovic the most,then Murray. They can just retrieve all day long. Nadal has lost too much speed to be able to hang with them on a slower surface anymore,and really needs a quicker surface to help him a bit,imo.

Bud
08-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Hard courts are resurfaced every year in every major tournament, whether it's a slam or a Masters 1000.

And I seriously doubt that the courts in Montreal are significantly faster (or slower) than at the USO because players want the surface to be as close as possible to what it will be at the USO and tournament organizers are always in communication with each other in that regard. So perceived differences will have much more to do with balls used and climate conditions that with the speed of the actual court surface itself.

Source?? :)

MLB_MOB
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM

this is just common sense for any big time tennis facility. US open, Australia and all the master 1000s are repaved, so if they say the courts are slower its possible that they added a little more sand into the top layer of the court to make it more gritty.

Even most colleges will have courts repaved every 3 or 4 years which is a big deal considering how little funding most schools get.

Murrayfan31
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Good news for Djokovic. lol at those thinking this will help Nadal.

Netspirit
08-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I cannot see Nadal playing Djokovic in the final. Nadal would rather lose in the semis (consciously or subconsciously) than suffer another humiliation.

He hopes to get better in the off-season to start beating Djokovic. It means he acknowledges that his current game cannot win.

mcr619619
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
it will help Djoko, then Nadal, then Murray, Fed will suffer.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
08-29-2011, 12:19 AM

How about your eyes? These facilities aren't left to sit until the tournament the next year. How often do you see hard courts that have any visible wear on them?

However as was posted before http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/03/setting_the_pace.html Paragraph 9

JustBob
08-29-2011, 12:28 AM
FYI, I play on the Uniprix Stadium Montreal courts and I SEE them beeing resurfaced every year. Not to mention it's rather hard not to notice all the pallets of drums labeled "DecoTurf" sitting just outside the main stadium court in July. Should I take pictures next year? ;)

Bartelby
08-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Resurface = top coat repaint? - in may part of the world acrylic is a type of house paint, as opposed to oil paint.

FYI, I play on the Uniprix Stadium Montreal courts and I SEE them beeing resurfaced every year. Not to mention it's rather hard not to notice all the pallets of drums labeled "DecoTurf acrylic" being rolled in at the end of July, which sit just outside the main stadium court. Should I take pictures next year also? :)