PDA

View Full Version : Nishikori vs Dolgopolov - possible USopen 2nd rd

MajinX
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
These guys are some of the more "out there" styles in tennis currently, with dologopolov playing a almost murray/santoro hybrid style, mixing it up a lot and working the court, using awkward slices and spins rather than just always going for winners when possible.

And nishikori the smaller-than-most-tennis-pros azn player who can surprisingly hit huge shots when you least expect them and has a certain flare when he does it (reminds me of monfils at times), but also loves to use spins and deception when he can. This might be one of the more interesting and unorthodox early matches of the tournament.

Thoughts?

veroniquem
08-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Not excited. Both have shown some potential and neither has lived up to it so far.

Kenny022593
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Not excited. Both have shown some potential and neither has lived up to it so far.

They can't all be Nadal. :)

Cormorant
08-28-2011, 04:45 PM

The Dog has really stepped it up this year, as you well know from his AO run and first title in Croatia, where his opponent had a home crowd backing him. I'm sure you must also be aware that he reached a career-high ranking of 20 earlier in the season, having closed 2010 at 48. Also, he missed a stretch of the season to recover from the effects of Gilbert's syndrome, which continues to hound him and must be taken into account during less than impressive performances. I've also got reason to believe he has some psychological issues to overcome, which can't be easy when you're shooting up the rankings and trying to show everyone you belong.

Most importantly, The Dog is a guileful, explosive breath of fresh air on a tour that increasingly threatens to tend towards the boringly uniform. So see to it that you reappraise the guy on the double quick, and appreciate him for the sui generis entertainer he is. Thank you.

I agree that Nishikori has disappointed recently, but he played great at the USO in '08 and '10, so I'm hoping for more of that bottled lightning he unleashes all too rarely. Not sure about his fitness after the tame Winston-Salem exit, but if he makes it to R64 I expect him and The Dog to duke it out in compelling fashion.

Bjorn99
08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
The Dog is different, but I find his game boring actually. Unique initially, but this is a pipsqueak and isn't scaring anyone. He will be out of the top 100 in two years guaranteed.

fms
08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
I hope Dolgopolov makes it all the way to the top, and shows the rest of the tour that even with tennis's ever-increasing court slowness you don't have to be a grinder to make it, but that you can also be an all-court player who employs variety as a weapon. I know it would at least make me continue to watch tennis.

Jeepers
08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
The Dog is different, but I find his game boring actually. Unique initially, but this is a pipsqueak and isn't scaring anyone. He will be out of the top 100 in two years guaranteed.

Pipsqueak? He serves in the 130's and hit Soderling and Tsonga off the court in Aus...

chrischris
08-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Pipsqueak? He serves in the 130's and hit Soderling and Tsonga off the court in Aus...

Yep. He is dangerous when his timing and inspiration's on. Perhaps not the most charismatic of players but wickedly deceptive game and shotmaker on his day.

bluetrain4
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Dolgo is one of those players who seems to to play to the level of his opponent to a large degree. When he plays better players (like Tsonga and Murray at the AO), he steps up looks like a place in the Top 15 or 10 is just around the corner. But, he doesn't always acheive that level against lower-ranked players and loses more than you would think based on his performance agaisnt better players.

MajinX
08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Dolgo is one of those players who seems to to play to the level of his opponent to a large degree. When he plays better players (like Tsonga and Murray at the AO), he steps up looks like a place in the Top 15 or 10 is just around the corner. But, he doesn't always acheive that level against lower-ranked players and loses more than you would think based on his performance agaisnt better players.

completely agree with this, some other players are like this as well, including nishikori to an extent, I rmb him playing amazingly vs nadal at queens and some other top 20 players, however in his case it might be his injuries that is stopping his full ability vs lower ranked players.

However with the dog, he's more of a counter puncher, and try to messes with his opponents, perhaps one of the reasons he plays well vs top player is coz you are more exposed to them, so he knows them a bit better, hence can come up with better counter measures. However vs players who are super standard and mechanical IE djokovic, dolgopolov style doesnt seem to work as well.