PDA

View Full Version : Novak in an altitude pod

westpac690
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Gluten free diet.......OK, he's allergic, it makes sense.
But after reading this, Novak lost 10 cool points in my book. Poly strings, excessive toweling, overly polite "rivalries", slowed courts, special diets, and NOW altitude pods.
Say all you want about how "great" "modern" tennis and tennis players are, but I'm at the point I wish they'd just walk on the court, line up and play friggin' tennis.

westpac690
08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
damn.... just saw someone already posted about this. Man, do I feel like a Roddick..........

BigForehand
08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
tennis turned to BS. Proof? ****** got 10 slams....

Bud
08-28-2011, 04:35 PM
He's turning into Michael Jackson :)

Novak's 'Altitude Pod'

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-BO642_****_G_20110828175834.jpg

Outbeyond
08-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Novak's 'Altitude Pod'

LOL!........

stringertom
08-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Novak's 'Altitude Pod'

Guess this is supposed to help with endurance...now he'll be able to go to a third set before retiring.

grzegorzo
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
this "Altitude pod" is common in all endurance sports (cyclists, marathoners, etc.) it's a absolutely legal way of rising red blood cell count. It works- just like altitude training just ask the Kenyans.

MajinX
08-28-2011, 06:39 PM
this "Altitude pod" is common in all endurance sports (cyclists, marathoners, etc.) it's a absolutely legal way of rising red blood cell count. It works- just like altitude training just ask the Kenyans.

theres only 20 of them in the world soo it isnt really common in anything as of yet... you might be thinking of something similar that was also mentioned in the article.

in any case it is completely legal. it sounds sort of like those ab belts that gets you a six pack quicker but for your whole body thing. helps with endurance and circulation.

The Djoker
08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

But after reading this, Novak lost 10 cool points in my book. Poly strings, excessive toweling, overly polite "rivalries", slowed courts, special diets, and NOW altitude pods.
Say all you want about how "great" "modern" tennis and tennis players are, but I'm at the point I wish they'd just walk on the court, line up and play friggin' tennis.

huh???:-? 10 tens

Kaz00
08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
He's training like Vegeta. Not everyone can be as talented as Federer or Goku.

15_ounce
08-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Further testing is being done to determine whether devices like ****'s pod will continue to be approved for use.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/blogs/article?offset=1&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A20050301% 3Aten%2Carticle%2Cyhoo-ept_sports_ten_experts-wp2719%3A1&.ts=1314623115&.ysid=_zIaQZ7nbp9oRfGZ6vOnQVyH&.intl=US&.lang=en

Djokovic using hyperbaric chamber for recovery

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=13896&zoneid=25

One of the side effects of ****'s pod is shoulder inflammation (joke).

Sentinel
08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Interesting. I suppose some of you may remember that athletes have used similar devices as far back as the 80's. USA's Alberto Salazar (marathon runner, world record holder) used a device like an oxygen mask plugged onto a cylinder strapped to his back for a few runs every week. I think he was training in LA at that time, can't remember.

The cylinder also mimicked high-altitude training (lower o2 content). This pod seems to aid recovery, whereas I remember Alberto saying he had to be careful not to overdo that, since one could become sick.

(r2473 might remember this).

Evan77
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Guys, this thing does nothing. It' not like Djokovic is taking any drugs. Give me a break.

How does this egg thing help his BH and his FH. How does it help to his movement. meh. Novak was #3 back in 2007 when this thing didn't even exist. BS.

So, Novak is #1 now because of this egg thingy. Please. lol

stealyourmind
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
He's training like Vegeta. Not everyone can be as talented as Federer or Goku.

A+ post lol

lendlmac
08-29-2011, 09:36 AM

I bet you all one thing, IF Djokovic wins the U.S. Open????? Nadal and other players will be all lining up trying to EMULATE Djokivc's successes and gluten free diets, etc.....laugh now, I don't care...pod or no pod, he OWNS the men's tour and is destroying everyone in sight..so if he wins. NO ONE willbe laughing at his pod....except trying to rent one for a few weeks by other pros and atheletes....watch

MajinX
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Guys, this thing does nothing. It' not like Djokovic is taking any drugs. Give me a break.

How does this egg thing help his BH and his FH. How does it help to his movement. meh. Novak was #3 back in 2007 when this thing didn't even exist. BS.

:S no1 is suggesting this thing is what made him #1, ur reading this the wrong way and taken defensive at an imaginary offense.

It doesnt help with his BH FH directly but helps with endurance appearantly, so it helps over all, how much no1 can be sure until further studies. Its just a point/fact that ppl are pointing out.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 10:21 AM

May not help him with his shots,but it sure helped him with his stamina,which was the weakest part of his game. It's no coincidence that using this thing has coincided with him having his best year ever. It should be investigated further by WADA,and then banned if it is proven to increase red blood cell count because if it does it's the same as if he were using epo or autologous blood doping.

Don Felder
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
May not help him with his shots,but it sure helped him with his stamina,which was the weakest part of his game. It's no coincidence that using this thing has coincided with him having his best year ever. It should be investigated further by WADA,and then banned if it is proven to increase red blood cell count because if it does it's the same as if he were using epo or autologous blood doping.

I would certainly like to see this practice/device investigated. It really is pretty strange that the guy can go from nearly keeling over for years in every match he played in heat, win or lose, to spanking Nadal and all the other best players seemingly without breaking a sweat.

In years past, I frequently saw Novak having virtual heart attacks, even when completely spanking some noob, if he was playing in any kind of heat.

It's hard to believe some fitness training could bring you from one extreme to the other that quickly.

Ballbashing Grinder
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Dealt with how Djokovic didn't use this thing in the other thread but do you think high altitude training in mountains should be banned? This simulates this. EPO injections are a different ball game

If they aren't unsafe, are they unethical? No, because you can't ban normal altitude training, so it's unfair to ban a safe practice that makes it easier or cheaper for athletes to achieve the same effect. There is no physiological difference between altitude in a tent or in the mountains - it is the same oxygen level. Recently, the Norwegian Olympic Committee has come forward with a position statement supporting the use of altitude houses falls within the ethical norms which sport follows (Norwegian Olympic Committee, 1998).

Also, it is easily possible to increase athletes' EPO concentrations beyond their natural limits using an injection. However, an altitude chamber does not do this, although it does make it a lot easier for athletes to increase their EPO levels - just not beyond their natural limits.

http://altitudetraining.com/main/sports/research/PracticalApproachBurke

Injections increase EPO concentration above the natural levels that the body can take thus the huge increase in performance and subsequent grave health problems: thickening of the blood, leading to clots, heart attacks, strokes, sudden death. This method is like the high altitude available in the mountains. That's why Kenyans dominate the running.They have been exposed to altitude all their lives. But it has absolute no ill-effects for their health because this doesn't go above the natural bodily limits. These contraptions are just simulating that environment so they are not comparable to EPO injections. It's just what's available out there naturally anyway, unlike the injections.

Also, it is talking about altitude chambers and sleeping tents. Says the "intermittant exposure" devices like that egg would be (only in it for 20 minutes) have yet to be proven to have any beneficial effects after tests carried out on these.

zagor
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Novak's magic egg.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Dealt with how Djokovic didn't use this thing in the other thread but do you think high altitude training in mountains should be banned? This simulates this. EPO injections are a different ball game

http://altitudetraining.com/main/sports/research/PracticalApproachBurke

Injections increase EPO concentration above the natural levels that the body can take thus the huge increase in performance and subsequent grave health problems: thickening of the blood, leading to clots, heart attacks, strokes, sudden death. This method is like the high altitude available in the mountains. That's why Kenyans dominate the running.They have been exposed to altitude all their lives. But it has absolute no ill-effects for their health because this doesn't go above the natural bodily limits. These contraptions are just simulating that environment so they are not comparable to EPO injections. It's just what's available out there naturally anyway, unlike the injections.

If it increases red blood cells,giving him an advantage,it is blood doping and should be banned. Clearly he has been doing something this year that isn't quite kosher. How many different stories have we heard this year to try and explain away the fact he can now outlast each and every player on tour,after struggling his entire career with allergies and breathing problems? It's all way too good to be true.

And I'm glad that people are finally starting to talk about his miraculous turn around in stamina. It's come way too late,imo.

oneness
08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Twitter conversation...

@SteveTignor The media seems to have been fairly quiet about this online.wsj.com/article/SB1000… Any views as WADA say "not in the spirit of sport".

Steve Tignor
@Wooffie1965 actually he said today that he only used it at the open last year and this year, but it does sound similar to doping

bluebirdone Teresa P.
@SteveTignor @Wooffie1965 Like to know more about the egg and it's role in 'blood doping' effects. Seems tennis media has given this a pass?

oneness
08-29-2011, 08:39 PM
We have no idea what the other pros are using to recover/train.

Ballbashing Grinder
08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
If it increases red blood cells,giving him an advantage,it is blood doping and should be banned. Clearly he has been doing something this year that isn't quite kosher. How many different stories have we heard this year to try and explain away the fact he can now outlast each and every player on tour,after struggling his entire career with allergies and breathing problems? It's all way too good to be true.

And I'm glad that people are finally starting to talk about his miraculous turn around in stamina. It's come way too late,imo.

Loads of athletes go to the mountains for this high altitude, tennis players, all sorts of athletes. These fandangos are available to everyone(and way more effective ones, than that unproven pod, are being used by lots of athletes), there is no unfair advantage. You or I could increase our own levels unknownst to us by going to a place of high altitude for a while. The key is it doesn't go above natural bodily capacity. That's when it becomes doping. This difference could arise from what part of the world you were born/live in, but it is not an unnatural level and can be achieved by people who just happened to be geographically located in lower altitude areas.

Anyway, I'm not getting into how he had no access to such a pod throughout the year so I'll leave it at that.

aceX
08-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Egg doping? That's smart.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Loads of athletes go to the mountains for this high altitude, tennis players, all sorts of athletes. These fandangos are available to everyone(and way more effective ones, than that unproven pod, are being used by lots of athletes), there is no unfair advantage. You or I could increase our own levels unknownst to us by going to a place of high altitude for a while. The key is it doesn't go above natural bodily capacity. That's when it becomes doping. This difference could arise from what part of the world you were born/live in, but it is not an unnatural level and can be achieved by people who just happened to be geographically located in lower altitude areas.

Anyway, I'm not getting into how he had no access to such a pod throughout the year so I'll leave it at that.

Ever heard of a red herring? I'll just leave it at that.

Ballbashing Grinder
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM

jerriy
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
If it increases red blood cells,giving him an advantage,it is blood doping and should be banned.Being in a pod doesn't cook your nuts. You seem unable or incapable of being aware that what makes doping doping is not so much the end result but the unethical (long term health compromising) means that are used to get the desired result. Clearly he has been doing something this year that isn't quite kosher.Oy vey! I wasn't aware that breathing oxygen was not kosher!

Of course Djoker could have kept it simple and gone to the Alps or the Pyrenees... or (like Kvitova and Bird*****) to the Carpathian/Tatra range.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v18bJqHJl1Y/TmBHXXc_X_I/AAAAAAAAESI/tZDRwJihLRE/s900/kvitty.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tAqpvUcKlG0/TmBHXPGVmBI/AAAAAAAAESE/1zDflF5iPqM/s900/petra.jpg

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Being in a pod doesn't cook your nuts. You seem unable or incapable of being aware that what makes doping doping is not so much the end result but the unethical (long term health compromising) means that are used to get the desired result. Oy vey! I wasn't aware that breathing oxygen was not kosher!

Of course Djoker could have kept it simple and gone to the Alps or the Pyrenees... or (like Kvitova and Bird*****) to the Carpathian/Tatra range.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v18bJqHJl1Y/TmBHXXc_X_I/AAAAAAAAESI/tZDRwJihLRE/s900/kvitty.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tAqpvUcKlG0/TmBHXPGVmBI/AAAAAAAAESE/1zDflF5iPqM/s900/petra.jpg

Since you don't seem to know the difference between a hypERbaric chamber,and hyPObaric chamber,you probably should not comment on this until you educate yourself on the differences between them.

And going hiking in a mountain once in a while is not the same as sitting on your a** in this thing multiple times a week,and trying to hide the fact that you are like Backpedalling **** has done. And as I said before,I believe this egg thing is simply a red herring,but it should definitely be studied closer and then banned if it in anyway mimics the effects of blood doping. May as well just legalize doping then if this contraption is allowed. Would you be ok with players being allowed to shoot themselves up with epo? How about letting them use autologous blood doping?

Bartelby
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Now you can go for a swim in a pod/tent to simulate altitude:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/swimmers-enter-a-bubble-in-bid-to-hit-the-heights/story-e6frg7mf-1226127670695

Ballbashing Grinder
09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Since you don't seem to know the difference between a hypERbaric chamber,and hyPObaric chamber,you probably should not comment on this until you educate yourself on the differences between them.

And going hiking in a mountain once in a while is not the same as sitting on your a** in this thing multiple times a week,and trying to hide the fact that you are like Backpedalling **** has done. And as I said before,I believe this egg thing is simply a red herring,but it should definitely be studied closer and then banned if it in anyway mimics the effects of blood doping. May as well just legalize doping then if this contraption is allowed. Would you be ok with players being allowed to shoot themselves up with epo? How about letting them use autologous blood doping?

Give me ONE logical way in which he would have been able to do this?

jerriy
09-01-2011, 08:43 PM

And going hiking in a mountain once in a while is not the same as sitting on your a** in this thing multiple times a week,and trying to hide the fact that you are like Backpedalling **** has done. And as I said before,I believe this egg thing is simply a red herring,but it should definitely be studied closer and then banned if it in anyway mimics the effects of blood doping. May as well just legalize doping then if this contraption is allowed. Would you be ok with players being allowed to shoot themselves up with epo? How about letting them use autologous blood doping?Quit that claptrap about you be an educated expert, you are not.

Do YOU actually know what doping means? Apparently not!

And yet here you are hopelessly trying to impress me like as if throwing around nerdy technical jargon equals stating the plain truth.

Ballbashing Grinder
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Ah Clarky, you've abandoned this thread to troll the other. I take it then you can't come up with a way in which that high tech machine could be lugged around in your pocket and set up in a regular hotel room with no facilities? On second thoughts, maybe they could plug it in where the lamp shade goes...yep that might work! And just leave a tip with the hotel manager to apologise for demolishing his wall to get it in the door of your room :wink:

RCizzle65
09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Jeez everyone is such a conspiracy theoriest on this board, and whenever a player they don't like is doing something out of the ordinary, they have to be cheating in some way.

LuvTheGame
09-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Jeez everyone is such a conspiracy theoriest on this board, and whenever a player they don't like is doing something out of the ordinary, they have to be cheating in some way.

The EGG the breakfast of Champions! :):):)

willshot
09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Novak's 'Altitude Pod'

This magical EGG was laid from fatty hen Mirka.