PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro

Jackson Heights
08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Del Potro hasn't been doing much. He had been out a long time with an injury, but he has been back playing for about 7 months now, so he shouldn't be rusty anymore. I expected him to be doing better by now. Any idea what is happening?

dantheman
08-28-2011, 09:36 PM
you've been living under a rock

TennisFan3
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
It's gonna be a Del Potro vs Djokovic UsOpen Final..

FearOfTheDark
08-28-2011, 10:43 PM
It's gonna be a Del Potro vs Djokovic UsOpen Final..

Ummmm you're dreaming

OddJack
08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Delpo is trying. But he cant.
Rust has become an old excuse, 7 months means there is no rust anymore. Look at Sharapova, she had surgery and she is back on track up to number 3 seed and just won a master.

Delpo will never win another major. His body wont let him.

Pwned
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Rust has become an old excuse, 7 months means there is no rust anymore. Look at Sharapova, she had surgery and she is back on track up to number 3 seed and just won a master.

O_o

Sharapova had surgery in 08. It's now 2011, yes?

Del Potro had surgery in 2010.

AhmedD
08-28-2011, 11:54 PM

You've obviously never been injured that bad. It takes a long, long time until you get back to 100% after a serious injury like that. It's basically starting from square over. And even then, you might never be the same. Barely a year ago I could hold my own against the top players in my country. Now one year after that ankle injury, I still haven't gotten back that natural feel for the game. I use to rip aces, finish short balls easily, can hold my own in long and powerful rallies. Now I commit unforced errors, can barely have a 10 shot rally, and double fault a ton. Only thing I have now is my speed, and I just hope for a big a serve and rely on my slice and net play. Still trying to reach that level, but can seem to get back to it. My 11 year old cousin can beat me easily now. How bad do you think it is for a pro. I spent 2 months out, after that, then came back to playing. Delpo was out for a whole year, and hasn't even played for a whole year. You actually get that rusty, I don't think he'll be back until maybe next season. He can do the hard work during the off-season. Notice how in 2009, he could rip forehands just naturally, now it looks more forced, and he can't do it as consistently. because he still hasn't gotten the feel for it. It took several years of training to develop that forehand, you think he'll just get it back after 7 months of playing returning from an injury like that. Sorry, but if you do think he isn't rusty, your out of your mind.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
He was injured again during the clay court season, it's not like he came back at the beginning of the year and has been going strong the whole year, he pulled out of some clay stuff because of injury. If he remains healthy then I think by this time next year he should be on track for another slam.

zagor
08-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't think Delpo will ever fully realize his potential, way too much injury prone. However I could see him getting an additional slam or two, when he gets hot ain't a lot you can do out there against that atomic FH unless you're a master at throwing junk like Muzza who I think is the toughest match-up for Delpo on tour.

celoft
08-29-2011, 05:05 AM

Could go down as a one slam wonder.

Bryan Swartz
08-29-2011, 05:11 AM
He's 12th in the world this year, which includes the whole period where he was just coming off of injury. What did you expect him to be doing by now?

OddJack
08-29-2011, 05:17 AM
You've obviously never been injured that bad. It takes a long, long time until you get back to 100% after a serious injury like that. It's basically starting from square over. And even then, you might never be the same. Barely a year ago I could hold my own against the top players in my country. Now one year after that ankle injury, I still haven't gotten back that natural feel for the game. I use to rip aces, finish short balls easily, can hold my own in long and powerful rallies. Now I commit unforced errors, can barely have a 10 shot rally, and double fault a ton. Only thing I have now is my speed, and I just hope for a big a serve and rely on my slice and net play. Still trying to reach that level, but can seem to get back to it. My 11 year old cousin can beat me easily now. How bad do you think it is for a pro. I spent 2 months out, after that, then came back to playing. Delpo was out for a whole year, and hasn't even played for a whole year. You actually get that rusty, I don't think he'll be back until maybe next season. He can do the hard work during the off-season. Notice how in 2009, he could rip forehands just naturally, now it looks more forced, and he can't do it as consistently. because he still hasn't gotten the feel for it. It took several years of training to develop that forehand, you think he'll just get it back after 7 months of playing returning from an injury like that. Sorry, but if you do think he isn't rusty, your out of your mind.

Excuse me, how many surgeries have you had sir?

And that was my point, he will never be the same.

OddJack
08-29-2011, 05:22 AM
O_o

Sharapova had surgery in 08. It's now 2011, yes?

Del Potro had surgery in 2010.

sharapova had shoulder surgery, her serve used to be a weapon, no its a liability. She is not the same player she was and never be again, but still makes it deep. Maybe my comparison to shara was not a good one, but in case of delpo his anatomy is limiting him, even with a good arm he cannot repeat that result. His body is not made for long endurance needed to win majors. Why do you think he hits the ball so hard?

Feņa14
08-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Look at his career results, apart from those 2 days at the US Open when things went in his favour. He's just doing exactly what he did before, there's nothing wrong with that.

Tammo
08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
If they keep slowing down the USO, then he probably won't win it again. He does have a shot at the french though.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 06:44 AM
If they keep slowing down the USO, then he probably won't win it again. He does have a shot at the french though.

That makes no sense. So he can't win at the USO because it's been slowed down too much,but he can win at RG on slow clay? How do figure that? I think Delpo has a great shot at making the semis at the USO this year at least. He will have to get by Murray,but I would not be surprised to see him make the final.

TiberiusGracchus
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Del Potro?

More like Del Done-ro.

Jackson Heights
09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Well we really don't know his condition now. His wrist may not be 100 per cent now, but maybe will be in the near future. We don't really know. If he does get back to 100 %, then I think he can win a slam again. He is a great talent.

Regarding his wrist injury. I had heard a long time ago he was using full polyester, not hybrids with gut which soften things a little. That full poly setup may have caused the wrist injury.

SLD76
09-01-2011, 05:46 PM

not to mention whatever alterations to his motion he will have to make in order to protect the wrist.

also, his footwork isnt near as good as it was in 09.

Damn, curse of federer strikes again.

Caesar
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
He was never more than a talented top 10 player who got hot for a couple of weeks.

Nadal and Federer were so dominant that everyone blew their load when they finally found someone who could beat them both in a Grand Slam. Never mind that he was playing near-perfect aggressive baseline tennis at the time which is impossible to sustain for any substantial period.

It's taken people a couple of years to realise it but suddenly people are waking up to the fact that he's not the Messiah. Come back in a couple of years when those same people wake up to the fact that Djokovic isn't going to win more Grand Slams than Nadal.

Feņa14
09-04-2011, 03:14 PM
He was never more than a talented top 10 player who got hot for a couple of weeks.

Nadal and Federer were so dominant that everyone blew their load when they finally found someone who could beat them both in a Grand Slam. Never mind that he was playing near-perfect aggressive baseline tennis at the time which is impossible to sustain for any substantial period.

It's taken people a couple of years to realise it but suddenly people are waking up to the fact that he's not the Messiah. Come back in a couple of years when those same people wake up to the fact that Djokovic isn't going to win more Grand Slams than Nadal.

Look at his career results, apart from those 2 days at the US Open when things went in his favour. He's just doing exactly what he did before, there's nothing wrong with that.

Totally agree. I've always said he was a bit overhyped on these boards, for whatever reason. He's a good player who played well and had a few things go in his favour. I think it's unfair for him to be labelled a top, top player and expect his results to follow that, it's just not the case.