PDA

View Full Version : Could a random club level player win a single point against Djokovic in a match?

SunYiXian
08-28-2011, 10:58 PM
My friends and I were discussing this idea. One guy (about 3.5) said he could get one. This is assuming no luck (no netcords or random shank winners or something).

I personally don't think anyone below like 5.0 could get a point.

Netspirit
08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey do commit UEs. Djokovic nets and misses a lot of smashes, for example. So, in short - yes, it is extremely likely that you would win a point or two. Especially since their concentration cannot be good in such circumstances.

Rhino
08-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Djokovic serves the odd double fault.

Carsomyr
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
:lol:

No...

Pwned
08-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Probably would never get a 2nd serve back in play.

dr325i
08-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Of course anyone (4.0 +) could. It would not be a winner though.
There is no way that any Pro would be as focused as needed during the whole match against the club player...

Tony48
08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Possibly. Depends on the chances you take on his 2nd serves (and it would have to be an awful 2nd serve). You'd have to crush it and rush the net if Djokovic managed to get a racquet on it.

Beryl
08-28-2011, 11:55 PM
What kind of question is this?! A measly single point?!?! I'd feed him a breadstick and a bagel.

jesenk
08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
I would hope that my serve would be so much slower than he could possibly expect that the first time it would bounce five or six times before it reached him. After that I'm done for.

RCizzle65
08-29-2011, 12:12 AM
One point? Yeah of course, especially since there's no way he would be focused the whole time, like someone said earlier. If your goal was to win a single point, you could easily try and bomb a serve each time, and catch him off guard at least once.

FearOfTheDark
08-29-2011, 02:14 AM
I would hope that my serve would be so much slower than he could possibly expect that the first time it would bounce five or six times before it reached him. After that I'm done for.

HAHA so true!! :D

Laver777
08-29-2011, 02:38 AM
off course they could. ever heard of a net cord?

Pwned
08-29-2011, 02:39 AM
off course they could. ever heard of a net cord?

ugh...
My friends and I were discussing this idea. One guy (about 3.5) said he could get one. This is assuming no luck (no netcords or random shank winners or something).

Laver777
08-29-2011, 02:49 AM
ugh...

didnt see that but even still you could suggest everything is lucky though. anyone can ace someone no matter who they are if its placed well

Bart
08-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Ha ha, funny thread! I've seen good amateur club level players (must be at least 4.0, maybe 5.0) against low-end pro (outside the top 1000) in the futures qualies - an the result was 0 (zero) points for the club player in the whole match. It was on the clay courts, there were many long rallies and this match looked very competitive through the fence. Not so many winners made by pro, he just was making NO ERRORS, that was not a problem against speed and pace offered by amateur. And now imagine this pro against Nole - it's double bagel and a few points taken by him. And now compare a club player and Nole, the number of points taken by the club player won't be 0, it'll be negative:D Yes, if you're a close friend of Noles family an get a chance to play against him, I bet you'll get a few points, maybe games, but that's a bad indicator;) The only chance to win the points against top pro is to make him to go for the winners. If the pro wants, he can keep ball just in play FOREVER.

Colin
08-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Even the best players suffer embarrassing points every match they play, serving a double fault, sending an easy shot long, slamming a ball into the net. So even a visually impaired, obese, elderly woman in a walker with an attached oxygen tank, her frail arm lifting a racquet, would win a point off Fed, Djokovic or Nadal. And, depending on the day, she could take Murray to a tiebreak by gaining a mental edge.

Marcus
08-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Ha ha, funny thread! I've seen good amateur club level players (must be at least 4.0, maybe 5.0) against low-end pro (outside the top 1000) in the futures qualies - an the result was 0 (zero) points for the club player in the whole match. It was on the clay courts, there were many long rallies and this match looked very competitive through the fence. Not so many winners made by pro, he just was making NO ERRORS, that was not a problem against speed and pace offered by amateur. And now imagine this pro against Nole - it's double bagel and a few points taken by him. And now compare a club player and Nole, the number of points taken by the club player won't be 0, it'll be negative:D Yes, if you're a close friend of Noles family an get a chance to play against him, I bet you'll get a few points, maybe games, but that's a bad indicator;) The only chance to win the points against top pro is to make him to go for the winners. If the pro wants, he can keep ball just in play FOREVER.

Spot on....

I'm like a 4.5 in USA Money ;-) and hit with a top UK U18 (Ranked 6 in the UK U18 and like 150th in Mens) and the gulf is just rediculous....

Just hitting for fun flatters me because he hits such a good ball and he's not going for shots.

We play sets now and again and i've taken games off him on my serve when he's switched off a bit or focussing on feeding me a ball to practice a shot. In reality I simply can't cope with his serve 1st or 2nd (actually 2nd serve is harder to deal with, the kick and spin is just madness)

His ability to keep the point alive when we're hitting is un-real, I can hit 5 shot's in a row that would be winners against my usual opponants and they just keep coming back.... !

Now think about what Nole would do to this young lad !!!

Me v Nole.... well I'd not get a sniff of a point !!

Tough Gut
08-29-2011, 05:07 AM
You tricked me with the poll. I came in saying yes as is they can win a point, but the question is opposite the title. That's ok though, I realized they probably can't.

Netzroller
08-29-2011, 05:29 AM

Well, then no.

Djokovic would pretty much never make an error, because he doesn't need to take any risk on his shots to blow a club level player off the court.

Then again, I might be able to suprise him with a nasty underhand serve:lol:

Polaris
08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
A single point? Yes.
A single game? No way.

NamRanger
08-29-2011, 06:44 AM
You'd probably win a point because the pro gets so bored he slips the racquet out of his hand, but that is about it.

pmerk34
08-29-2011, 06:46 AM
A single point? Yes.
A single game? No way.

I would humiliate him it would be a bloodletting as I would use Serve and Volley on him and catch him off guard with 80 mph serves. The whole club would be in a frenzy