PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow Braces: Do they work?

baselined
04-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know of any tennis elbow braces that actually work? I have tried a couple of different braces and they are piles of crappola. Any help is appreciated.

AAAA
04-28-2004, 06:06 AM
From What I've read the standard brace does nothing more than realign arm tendon/muscle so the cause of the tennis elbow will just get to work on a different part of your arm if the brace works at all. On medical sites the advice is take time off playing. My advice would be to determine the cause.

It could be technique or equipment related.

Are you hitting 1HBHs with a bent arm? If so don't.

Are you using a hard string or high tensions?

Is the handle the right size?

Is your racquet stiff?

At the point of ball impact you should momentarily squeeze the racquet handle for technical reasons and the firmer grip will make the racquet more stable so less shock will be transferred to your arm.

Sweet_Spot
05-10-2004, 09:32 PM
It definitely depends on which one you use. The one that seems to work well is the brace that has an air bubble that puts pressure on the tendon more then the entire arm. Also the position of the bubble will greatly affect its performance. So make sure you find the sore tendon or have a physical therapist look at it and wear it in the correct position.

sanitarium
05-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Yes, it really helped me onetime I felt some elbow pain.

lendl lives
05-17-2004, 03:56 PM
for the first time i got what i think is tennis elbow. my stringer said it may be a result of trying so many rackets at different tensions. (tw rackets are strung way lower than what i normally string at). any way i was bummed out. he recommended a wilson wrap. I strapped it on my arm and the pain began to dissipate significantly. Still i think the best thing is rest right now.

ncchetty
05-18-2004, 09:03 AM
This is how I am getting out of my tennis elbow problem:

1) Took a week off from tennis. I spent the available time in reading some tennis books and watching instructional videos.

2) While playing I use a sleeve type brace which supports the elbow and kinda controls the tendon movement.

3) After playing I wear a brace that you strap on just below the elbow for a couple of hours.

4) Once in a while I do use Bengay's Ultrastrength cream when it is too painful