PDA

View Full Version : How can people allready be considering djokovic as GOAT?

Laver777
08-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Perhaps i shouldnt take to much notice of what people say on youtube, but ive come across so many people claiming he is allready the GOAT. I think if he gets past five grand slams then maybe start putting him up there but hed have to win at least ten slams before you could even suggest GOAT.

Pwned
08-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Perhaps i shouldnt take to much notice of what people say on youtube, but ive come across so many people claiming he is allready the GOAT. I think if he gets past five grand slams then maybe start putting him up there but hed have to win at least ten slams before you could even suggest GOAT.

O_o

Not even close. 10 and he can be entered into the conversation, maybe.

tata
08-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Err who do you mean by 'people'?

ryu1revline
08-29-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't think anyone thinks that except trolls.

Too many things could happen.. And then again, it feels like "slam counts" are getting tiring and probably aren't a good marker of a goat anyway. Like the guys of the last generation who could care less about certain slams/records and just skipped them.

CocaCola
08-29-2011, 04:24 AM
GOAT is one of the most overused acronyms on tennis boards. I'm sure no one is serious or they just simply don't know what it means when they say DjokoGOAT. Maybe he's on his way to GOAT season but that's different.

Mainad
08-29-2011, 04:32 AM
He is definitely the GOTY but a long way off from becoming the GOAT! :cool:

slice bh compliment
08-29-2011, 04:39 AM
THink it might have something to do with the idea that people want to make an impact with their posts/posted videos/posted comments/video titles?

Maybe people want to declare something they see before it actually happens because they would like credit for calling it early.

Maybe some of them have no perspective. Like infants...what's in front of them is what they see and that's their frame of reference.

celoft
08-29-2011, 04:45 AM

He needs to win 10+ slams to be in any GOAT conversation.

celoft
08-29-2011, 05:22 AM
(LOL 10? Nadal has 10 but he's not in the GOAT discussion, even after the Career Grand slam. 10 is nowhere near enough)

Notice the + sign there.... Meaning over 10.

Laver(11), Borg(11), Sampras(14), Federer(16)....

OddJack
08-29-2011, 05:26 AM
He is, He proved it on grass of Wimbledon

Bryan Swartz
08-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Simply put, when you are dealing with a fictitious and subjective title, you can consider anyone the GOAT, because nobody can prove you right or wrong.

celoft
08-29-2011, 06:36 AM
clear signs he's on the way to 16

There is no way Nadal is on his way to 16 or even 14 slams. Heck, he will be lucky to win 12 the way things are going.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 06:41 AM
There is no way Nadal is on his way to 16 or even 14 slams. Heck, he will be lucky to win 12 the way things are going.

Agreed,but Djokovic is well on his way to double digit slams,and I think he'll do it quicker than anyone realizes.

celoft
08-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Agreed,but Djokovic is well on his way to double digit slams,and I think he'll do it quicker than anyone realizes.

Disagree. 8 slams tops.

cknobman
08-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Its impossible to be considered GOAT unless:

Your body is capable of producing milk.
You have horns.
You have a beard.
You'll eat anything (literally).

Any tennis players fit this bill?

Evan77
08-29-2011, 07:23 AM
he is a goat in training :-)

westside
08-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I want to see him have a year like this again before i even consider him to be one of the "greats"

jmverdugo
08-29-2011, 07:39 AM
oh! the humanity....

Cormorant
08-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Its impossible to be considered GOAT unless:

Your body is capable of producing milk.
You have horns.
You have a beard.
You'll eat anything (literally).

Any tennis players fit this bill?

MILK

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0115701dc96f970b-800wi

HORNS (sprouting on 09/12/11)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01017/djokovic-mask_1017027i.jpg

BEARD

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11400000/novak-beard-novak-djokovic-11480776-480-360.jpg

INDISCRIMINATE APPETITE

http://www.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20091011&t=2&i=11908151&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=460&pl=300&r=2009-10-11T132846Z_01_BTRE59A11G200_RTROPTP_0_TENNIS-CHINA

So I think we're all agreed he's a lactating, hairy candidate for g.o.a.t., with an undiscerning diet. The horns will sprout when/if he wins the USO.

zagor
08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
When he won Wimbledon he ate grass didn't he? I think that settles the GOAT debate.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
When he won Wimbledon he ate grass didn't he? I think that settles the GOAT debate.

Holy cow! If Djoker actually implied that double entendre he is a genius.

Gorecki
08-29-2011, 10:57 AM
(So if Nadal wins 2 slams in one of his worst years, by winning this here US Open, things are not going good? :lol:)

you could almost bet your brains being donated to science (space science students need to understand supernovas) nadal will mostlikely not win another USO...

KHSOLO
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I dont understand why his goatness is even in question

jokinla
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM

They know nothing about tennis.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
(So if Nadal wins 2 slams in one of his worst years, by winning this here US Open, things are not going good? :lol:)

Actually by winning one slam this year, things would be fantastic for most players, but most are not Nadal and have won 10 slams, so he is judged a little differently, but certainly getting to the finals of multiple masters series and slams is a great accomplishment, and if he can pull off the US Open, then that would be a pretty solid way to end the season.

Novak123
08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
It's quite obvious that he's going to at least surpass Nadal. If he has any sort of luck, he'll pass Sampras. Fed's a bit tougher because Novak's a late bloomer, but he definitely has a chance. He's certainly a legitimate contender for the GOAT position. His level is WITHOUT QUESTION the greatest ever, and I'm being perfectly objective.

Outbeyond
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM

LOL....these folk are thrilled to see someone else - ANYONE else - win a GS or two. So they'll pound their chests and bellow awhile to express their relief and excitement! Let 'em puff on...the rest of the world knows Djoker's got a l-o-n-g- way to go before he'll be seen as anything like a GOAT.

But he's a GOATY (greatest of all this year)! That's acceptable.:)

omniexist
08-29-2011, 02:23 PM
It's quite obvious that he's going to at least surpass Nadal. If he has any sort of luck, he'll pass Sampras. Fed's a bit tougher because Novak's a late bloomer, but he definitely has a chance. He's certainly a legitimate contender for the GOAT position. His level is WITHOUT QUESTION the greatest ever, and I'm being perfectly objective.

lol!...ur funny :)

celoft
08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Novak won't even surpass the likes of Lendl and Connors.

Novak123
08-29-2011, 02:50 PM
He won't even surpass the likes of Lendl and Connors.
ROFL this guy... the King's about to win three grand slams this year, potentially four next year, and potentially another four the year after that, and you're saying he won't surpass Jimmy Suckers? Please stop trolling...

celoft
08-29-2011, 02:55 PM
ROFL this guy... the King's about to win three grand slams this year, potentially four next year, and potentially another four the year after that, and you're saying he won't surpass Jimmy Suckers? Please stop trolling...

Novak won't win more than 8 slams. :cool:

mcenroefan
08-29-2011, 02:56 PM
And then again, it feels like "slam counts" are getting tiring and probably aren't a good marker of a goat anyway. Like the guys of the last generation who could care less about certain slams/records and just skipped them.

Here, here to that one! Slam counts are relevant but are hardly the one and only measure of greatness. Years at #1, total tourneys won, longevity, etc are all as important IMO. But I don't think there is anything such as a GOAT anyway.

Tony48
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Of course he's the GOAT. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

JustBob
08-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Coming from "Novak123", good one...

TennisFan3
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
If Djokovic win the UsOpen 2011 and the calender slam next year (2012) - then he will be in the GOAT talk..

jackson vile
08-29-2011, 04:44 PM
If Djokovic win the UsOpen 2011 and the calender slam next year (2012) - then he will be in the GOAT talk..

That's right!

Tennis_Monk
08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
(LOL 10? Nadal has 10 but he's not in the GOAT discussion, even after the Career Grand slam. 10 is nowhere near enough)

Nadal is in GOAT discussion. As far as my book goes, he did something that Sampras, Lendl,etc werent able to do.

Please note the use of word "Discussion". He is not GOAT in my book. that belongs to ROger M Federer.

danb
08-29-2011, 07:25 PM

He is the leader in retirements. That counts for 15 GS.
I bet he will get the SLAM of retirements. Fed has zip so far in this domain.

Fate Archer
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
lol!...ur funny :)

Based on last week's chapter, Uchiha Itachi is the GOAT.

Subventricular Zone
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
At 3 majors? Nah, he has more gluten-free pizza to eat before he gets there. Double digits in slams and then we can talk.

celoft
08-30-2011, 06:54 AM
At 3 majors? Nah, he has more gluten-free pizza to eat before he gets there. Double digits in slams and then we can talk.

Won't happen.

If he was 22 now he would hit double digits. But he turns 25 next year which is old for a player whose tennis is incredibly defensive and physical. He is already taping a knee and is having shoulder issues and in 2 years he will look like a mummy with different body parts wrapped.

8 slams tops for Djoko.

I can't see Nadal winning more than 12 slams.

spiderman123
08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Why is there any doubt about Djoker being GOAT?

It is all very simple.

Let's start with Federer being GOAT with his 16 slams and other achievements.

But then, he lost to Nadal a bunch of times, so Nadal is GOAT.

Then, Nadal lost to Djoker a bunch of times, so Djoker is GOAT.

QED.

[If Murray beats Djokovic one more time, he will be the GOAT.]

celoft
08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Why is there any doubt about Djoker being GOAT?

It is all very simple.

Let's start with Federer being GOAT with his 16 slams and other achievements.

But then, he lost to Nadal a bunch of times, so Nadal is GOAT.

Then, Nadal lost to Djoker a bunch of times, so Djoker is GOAT.

QED.

[If Murray beats Djokovic one more time, he will be the GOAT.]

Nah. I think Fed will win 1 more slam before he retires. 17 slams will make him the undisputed GOAT. He would have 6 more slams than Laver. That is huge.

celoft
08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
(Incredibly impossible to predict. One thing is for sure, Djokovic is about to make Nadal a better tennis player)

Well, you are predicting 14-16 slams for Nadal. That looks impossible.

12 slams tops for Nadal.

mcenroefan
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
(What do you mean by GOAT discussion? Do you mean when people discuss who is GOAT some people will say Nadal? With 10 slams? I don't think so.

Sampras is not a GOAT contender either, he never won the Career Grand Slam. If a player had won the Career Grand Slam AND 14 slams THEN they would be in the GOAT discussion.

As it stands now only Federer and Laver are in the GOAT discussion [Laver because of his wins before the Open era too, and the double-Calendar-Year-Grand-Slam].

Nadal needs 14 slams to compliment his Career Grand Slam)

Sampras was the dominant #1 player throughout his career (i.,e., he dominated his era) which IMO is far more important than a career GS. The same can not be said about NAdal---he is not the most dominant player of his era and has not been a dominant #1 which means he most certainly cannot be considered the GOAT (no matter how many GS he wins). Sampras has far more claim to that fictitious title than NAdal.

CDestroyer
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I wish GOAT was never said again.

zagor
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I wish GOAT was never said again.

GOAT...........

ledwix
08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
True. Sampras GOAT lost to Federer in 2001, and then Federer became GOAT. Then somehow Nadal with his 6 slams by 2009 became GOAT by winning on hard court in a slam against Federer. And then in 2011 Djokovic became GOAT by beating NAdal a bunch of times. But Murray if he wins against Djoke in the US Open final, will become greatest of all time. But Donald Young owns Murray, so Donald Young is GOAT..

ChiefAce
08-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Djokovic is playing the best tennis match in and match out that I've ever seen, and it's the highest level of tennis I've seen from anyone, but to achive GOAT status you must have the accomplishments to go along with it, and regardless of his level of play match in and out for one season you have to do it for years to rack up the number of slams needed. Like others have said, he's going to need double digit slams at least to be in the conversation, otherwise Fed stands as GOAT.

mcenroefan
08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Djokovic is playing the best tennis match in and match out that I've ever seen, and it's the highest level of tennis I've seen from anyone, but to achive GOAT status you must have the accomplishments to go along with it, and regardless of his level of play match in and out for one season you have to do it for years to rack up the number of slams needed. Like others have said, he's going to need double digit slams at least to be in the conversation, otherwise Fed stands as GOAT.

Well said. I believe that Nole's tennis has cast some perspective on all of the massively premature claims of Nadal as GOAT and to some extent has shed some perspective on Fed as well. I think it has been very healthy for the sport as I think all of the GOAT stuff was a bunch of hype anyway and Nole's streak has quieted all of that talk.

Laver777
08-30-2011, 05:18 PM

I dis agree. I think there's alot of new talent coming through who will challenge him. Dolgopolov, Tomic, raoinic, Harrison!and del po is playing well and Murray can challenge if he gets past his mental block he has in slam finals

sandiegoman
08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Billy goat

ViscaB
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
He's the greatest no.3 of all time.

mnm
08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Since he ain't done and neither Fed nor Nadal there ain't much to discuss really.. I'm really getting sick of this GOAT-talking regarding any player.

LuvTheGame
08-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Wall Street Journal Article - Posted: Tuesday August 30, 2011

"Novak Djokovic's Secret:Sitting in an Egg-Shaped Pressure Chamber"

Novak acknowledges using it (**** POD, pressure chamber) for the first time last week during a sponsor event in New York after he was asked about it for this Wall Street Journal article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html

"I think it really helps - not with muscle, but more with recovery after an exhausting set," Djokovic told the Wall Street Journal this week. "It's like a spaceship. It's very interesting technology."

The **** an egg-shaped capsule, according to its manufacturers - improves circulation, boosts red blood cells and removes lactic acid from the user's system among other benefits.

Novak has been preparing for the US Open by spending time sitting in the **** an egg-shaped capsule. In fact, Djokovic is so convinced that the pod helps his game that during the U.S. Open, which starts Monday, he's staying (for the fourth year) with a wealthy tennis-trainer friend in Alpine, N.J. who keeps one of the machines on his property.

Ever since last year's U.S. Open, Djokovic has been trying to improve his fitness by climbing into the rare $75,000 egg-shaped, bobsled-sized pressure chamber.

**** Systems chief executive Allen Ruszkowski says the treatment seems to have many of the same effects on the body as intense exercise. He claims that the technology may be twice as effective at helping the body absorb oxygen as blood doping--a banned form of performance enhancement.

Says former top-20 player Vince Spadea, who hit with Djokovic in Alpine last summer when he says Novak was first "experimenting" with the pod at Uehling's estate. "He was[/URL] looking to improve some of the challenges he was having--breathing capacity, allergies--and definitely something clicked there."

These are Things that make you go hmmmmmm:???:?

Related Articles:

Sports Illustrated -

"http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/08/30/day-2/index.htmlhttp#ixzz1WZzIQa47

The Score - "Here's how Novak Djokovic is preparing for Conor Niland" [URL="http://www.thescore.ie/djokovic-hoping-pod-technology-will-give-him-edge-in-niland-clash-213482-Aug2011"]

http://www.thescore.ie/djokovic-hoping-pod-technology-will-give-him-edge-in-niland-clash-213482-Aug2011 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/08/30/day-2/index.html#ixzz1WZzIQa47)

Bud
08-31-2011, 03:09 AM

He's less than a year younger than Nadal and is 7 slams short :lol:

Err.. he lost to a 30 yo in the FO SF :oops:

I think you need a reality check ;)

Gorecki
08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
He's less than a year younger than Nadal and is 7 slams short :lol:

Err.. he lost to a 30 yo in the FO SF :oops:

I think you need a reality check ;)

how do you rate it?

celoft
08-31-2011, 05:42 AM
(Djokovic left his run too late. No chance of 10 slams, and probably less than 8. And if Nadal figures him out, then Djokovic probably won't even win 6 slams. Djokovic plays an exhausting style, and prior to this year he's been known for being physically frail anyway. As he gets older, he'll drop off faster than anyone)

I've got Nole finishing with 6-8 slams. Anything more is delusional wishful thinking. He is not 21-22 to go on and win double digits at the slams now. Next year he will be 25 which is old for defensive/physical players like him. The likes of Borg/Sampras/Federer/Nadal started their winning streak of 7-8 consecutive years winning slams at 18-22. Not at 24. No way Nole is winning slams at 27-28 when Federer has been unable to win a slam after 28 and Federer is not a defensive/physical player like Nole. Nadal and Nole will probably win their last slam at 26. They are not Federer. Not even close.