PDA

View Full Version : Rocking Roger

Tennis Philosopher
07-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Has anyone discovered the essence of Federer that makes him such a near-invincible threat? His ground strokes are technically sound, [not to mention easy on the eye] he serves very well, in that, he can hit bombs all day but more often than not chooses to place it divinely on the lines, his transition game is superb and plays defense very well especially by utilizing his effective backhand slice, his footwork and movement is impeccable and so he covers the court expertly, volleys very well, though I wouldn't venture to label him as the best pure volleyer in the game [Pat Rafter comes to mind] and I would say that's probably because he relies more on his more than adequate baseline game, and of course he's very stable mentally. If I had to guess I would say that Federer's mental game, because it's so strong and it should be, is the bigger factor, even over his strokes and defense, that put's Federer above the rest. As the saying goes, tennis is 75% mental. Agree? Disagree? I'm open to all opinions and feedback.

joesixtoe
07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
agree, i think mentally he is dominating like sampras did, and i think others fear him, and thats what gets him beat.

friedalo1
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
He plays a baseline game on grass. Fed plays like borg. He serve and volley when he is about to lose a game. He has a nice serve. Not as good a Sampras. A good claycourt player that wins on grass. I still dont like this generation of tennis players. I like the serve and volley game of the later years. When Hewitt won Wimbledon 4 years ago. The serve and volley players became dinosaurs.

Tennis Philosopher
07-07-2005, 12:54 AM
He plays a baseline game on grass. Fed plays like borg. He serve and volley when he is about to lose a game. He has a nice serve. Not as good a Sampras. A good claycourt player that wins on grass. I still dont like this generation of tennis players. I like the serve and volley game of the later years. When Hewitt won Wimbledon 4 years ago. The serve and volley players became dinosaurs.

Yes Federer's baseline game is superb but i disagree when you say he serves and volleys infrequently and, in fact, only when he's about to lose. I have personally seen Federer utilize the net much more than that. Though I wasn't yet born to see Borg play, I have seen some videotapes and can safely say that, though both are great players and very consistent, especially Borg, Federer is definitely a more complete player and different in many aspects, especially considering the time difference and corresponding rackets. What I mean is that Federer and Borg will be naturally a little bit different when you consider the prevalent wooden rackets and the different strokes that result from this. Besides, I just think Federer volleys more than Borg, who seemed to remain at the baseline almost all of the time.

Marius_Hancu
07-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Yes Federer's baseline game is superb but i disagree when you say he serves and volleys infrequently

Fed is coming now 20-30 times in a 3 set match at the net.
Sampras and Edberg were coming 90-110 times.

jings
07-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Federer's technique is far purer than Borg's ever was and if anything modern racquets are far more suited to Borg's game than the one's he used (which is of course why they have come about, but that's another thread). His heavy top spin game was heaven sent for a 100 sq. in. Babolat strung at 250 lbs with Indian Mountain Tiger Gut or whatever .... Anyway that's slightly off-thread. I wanted to talk about Federer similar to Borg with a baseline game. Everyone basically plays a predominantly baseline game now on grass as that is what works best. Most of the top guys could serve and volley more with greater or lesser skill and success, but return skills, racquet development, balls, change of grass etc (a well worn record) just make the percentages too hard to play. Even Coria S&V's on clay every so often! Expect Wimbledon (ie most grass tournaments) to be played much the same way for some time until they revert to something other than the 100% rye (I think that's what's at SW19) that they now have.

Marius_Hancu
07-07-2005, 03:00 AM
also, check:

Federer's footwork: why is it superior?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=46267

Tennis Philosopher
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Fed is coming now 20-30 times in a 3 set match at the net.
Sampras and Edberg were coming 90-110 times.

There is no doubt that Federer comes to the net a lot less than the pure serve and volleyers but what I am saying is that he DOES come to the net. The previous user was saying that he rarely comes to net but that's just not the case. Also, everything is relative. By today's standards, 20-30 times to net is not bad at all. In fact, I would say currently only Henman and Dent do this more. But yes, you're right in that compared to Sampras, Rafter, etc. he does volley less.

Tennis Philosopher
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
also, check:

Federer's footwork: why is it superior?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=46267

Because of the following reasons:
1] He's very balanced and this is important
2]He's very fluid. He's not jerky like, say, Hewitt.
3]He's very agile. Like Sampras and Rafter, he can dive for those tough volleys.
4]He's just very quick.
5]He anticipates well. In other words, he sees the ball well and early.
6]I think he's very conscious of his footwork too. And maybe this is why he's never rushed.
7]He's got very solid fundamentals. Split-steps and cross-over steps are fundamentals he does very well.

So in my humble opinion, I believe this is why Federer moves so gracefully and effortlessly