PDA

View Full Version : In the next 200 years will there be a new slam introduced?

tennis_fan_182
08-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Either a replacement for one of the existing slams (we're looking at you, Wimbledon) - or an addition to the 4 existing slams?

sureshs
08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
There should be a 5th Slam in China right now. The current four countries have not supplied a Slam winner this year, while China has. Much more money there these days while other markets are saturated.

Ico
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Probably not, but I'd love to see a new slam with a lightning-quick surface. Would probably be in China (a muted yellow/red court would look cool).

Fedex
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Can I have some of your drugs?

kishnabe
08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
With Li Na....China has interest far more in tennis. With their growth in economy they will demand and Asian Slam....it will be on Carpet. Tennis will be saved....

Tough Gut
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
It's not about demand or a countries success. The first four countries to adopt lawn tennis (what we Play today) were australia, the u.s., England, and France.

DMan
08-29-2011, 01:58 PM
With Li Na....China has interest far more in tennis. With their growth in economy they will demand and Asian Slam....it will be on Carpet. Tennis will be saved....

China will "demand" an Asian Slam?

LOL! ! ? !

A slam by definition = 4.

But for those wondering if there will be a new Slam, is it money that dictates that? And not tradition?

Fedex
08-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Why 200 years?!
I thought the next decade or so would be more relevant unless you expect the life expectancy to rocket.

bluetrain4
08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
You're assuming earth and civilization make it another 200 years.

Rock Strongo
08-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Why 200 years?!
I thought the next decade or so would be more relevant unless you expect the life expectancy to rocket.

Well, according to this science program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TixL-hqda84&feature=player_detailpage#t=85s) the outlook on life expectancy sure is bright!

r2473
08-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I have it on good authority that there will be a new slam introduced in 2213, so the answer is no.

celoft
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
nope..:idea::idea:

sureshs
08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
There is one in Denny's now

Cormorant
08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Yet another "Wimbledon is REAL TENNIS" thread disguised as a "Wimbledon is pretentious, increasingly irrelevant etc. etc." thread.

We get it OP, you heart the AELTC and want to lay down some bait so that everyone can leap to its defence and you can sit on your playstool basking contentedly in the shared love. But the grasscourt season is over, so it'd be more appropriate to express your affection in a signature and leave it at that.

tennis_fan_182
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Yet another "Wimbledon is REAL TENNIS" thread disguised as a "Wimbledon is pretentious, increasingly irrelevant etc. etc." thread.

We get it OP, you heart the AELTC and want to lay down some bait so that everyone can leap to its defence and you can sit on your playstool basking contentedly in the shared love. But the grasscourt season is over, so it'd be more appropriate to express your affection in a signature and leave it at that.

You think I'm double bluffing? You're overthinking it.

jackson vile
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
There should be a 5th Slam in China right now. The current four countries have not supplied a Slam winner this year, while China has. Much more money there these days while other markets are saturated.

Yep, count on it. People voting no change are morons. You can bet all the tea in China there will be a new Major and most likely in asia ie China

thor's hammer
08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
In the next 200 years will there be a new slam introduced?

http://www.well.com/user/jcole/2000.jpg

No.

But it will become common knowledge that soylent green is people!

Kaz00
08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Australian Open is the Pacific Asian slam I thought. Close enough to China

Fate Archer
08-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Either a replacement for one of the existing slams (we're looking at you, Wimbledon) - or an addition to the 4 existing slams?

Don't know if you're bluffing or not, but take your eyes away from Wimbledon.

Ife there is a slam that deserves change it is the US Open, and to a lesser extent the French Open.

The only thing that I would personally add to the French Open is artificial light to complete the late matches. The US Open on the other hand, has a pretty big list of things they need to fix, IMO, to be as good as a tennis tournament as the other big three Slams.

Wimbledon and the Aussie are fine as is.

jaggy
08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
When China India and Germany control the world they may take a slam each if they care enough

tacou
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
200 years? one of the 4 countries won't even exist then so yeah tennis tourneys will be a little different

Tennis_Monk
08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Who cares if there were only 4 slams in the past?. I think other countries deserve to host SLAMS.

I dont think it is fair that these 4 countries control the slams. For example, these 4 nations exchange wildcards and give chances to their local talent. Ofcourse i dont say no to that but other countries deserve to do that too.

Yes..USOPEN is my least favorite slam....couple of reasons
a) too much marketing and all good seats are only for Corporate moguls that dont know Table Tennis from Lawn Tennis.
b) extremely greedy and For the price you pay , you get a seat that is so high that it almost comes under FAA (federal Aviation Authority) jurisdiction
c)Crowd.... less said the better.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
LOL, ya think, probably will be playing slams in space.

Bartelby
08-29-2011, 10:17 PM
The slams are run by the ITF, not ATP, and I can't see that organisation changing anything in the next twenty years.

The fact is that anyone with large quantities of money can create a two week, five set tournament and call it whatever.

Lsmkenpo
08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I doubt civilization lasts another 200 years, 50 years might be a stretch.

Max G.
08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Probably. That's a long span of time. In that time, if we get a new superpower (China, or maybe some other one, 200 years is a long time) whose population cards about tennis, they'll be able to bully the ITF into one if they want.

jmverdugo
08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
The closest thing I see could happen is the Australian Open changes its name for Austral-Asia Open and change locations between China and Australia every 2 years or so.

Gorecki
08-30-2011, 12:40 PM
yes. the slam a ding dong, bomp a didle dee...

Is this another of those Cesc Fabergas \ Shuresh threads???

Hood_Man
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I think the US Open should be moved somewhere else, as punishment for having such a huge-roofless stadium, and refusing to use covers when it rains...

West Coast Ace
08-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes..USOPEN is my least favorite slam....couple of reasons
a) too much marketing and all good seats are only for Corporate moguls that dont know Table Tennis from Lawn Tennis.
b) extremely greedy and For the price you pay , you get a seat that is so high that it almost comes under FAA (federal Aviation Authority) jurisdiction
c)Crowd.... less said the better.Another board member jealous of the US. a) and b) are just as true (and b) is worse) at the French. Many more matches where the lower bowl is completely empty. Also, a) is not true of the USO - the public can get low seats through the tennis travel agencies - can't get them at RG. And while I wouldn't pay to sit at the top of Ashe, plenty do, so the USTA knows more about stadium design than you do.

Probably. That's a long span of time. In that time, if we get a new superpower (China, or maybe some other one, 200 years is a long time) whose population cards about tennis, they'll be able to bully the ITF into one if they want.LOL! A country is going to care so much about tennis that they 'bully' a governing body. China's (and India, the only other possibility) are going to have enough trouble feeding their people and with air pollution, to worry about a 2 week sporting event.

The closest thing I see could happen is the Australian Open changes its name for Austral-Asia Open and change locations between China and Australia every 2 years or so.This is the most plausible - and even it is unlikely. I can't see AU sharing the event.

I defended the ATP for putting the Master Cup in Shanghai and then a 1000 event - it will help to grow the fan base in the region. But anyone who thinks China is going to become 'tennis crazy' is probably crazy. No offense, but the people aren't real good at ball sports. Look at the ballkids - they're trying hard, but they aren't any good. A lot of the rich (it ain't gonna be cheap to take up tennis in China) will try tennis, suck, and switch to golf for the social aspect and the ease of driving around in shaded golf cart and not sweating.

Fedex
08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
LOL! A country is going to care so much about tennis that they 'bully' a governing body. China's (and India, the only other possibility) are going to have enough trouble feeding their people and with air pollution, to worry about a 2 week sporting event.

But anyone who thinks China is going to become 'tennis crazy' is probably crazy. No offense, but the people aren't real good at ball sports. Look at the ballkids - they're trying hard, but they aren't any good. A lot of the rich (it ain't gonna be cheap to take up tennis in China) will try tennis, suck, and switch to golf for the social aspect and the ease of driving around in shaded golf cart and not sweating.

You think China cares about trivial human rights issues such as feeding it's people?
China won't have to worry about air pollution because it will be taking over the world shortly.
Chinese people being behind at ball sports doesn't mean they are physically inferior to us. Far from it.
If they really put their mind to tennis, the top 10 would soon be speaking Mandarin and Cantonese.

tennis_fan_182
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I thought chinese people were too short and weak to play sports?

MethodTennis
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, according to this science program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TixL-hqda84&feature=player_detailpage#t=85s) the outlook on life expectancy sure is bright!

Love Peter serafinowicz

here is the venue of the new carpet slam soon to be brought in in china

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/studioleaks/chinacourt.jpg

lethalfang
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
When China India and Germany control the world they may take a slam each if they care enough

China: make China Open a Grand Slam, or no more tennis racquet for you!

Fedex
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I thought chinese people were too short and weak to play sports?

Guess who won the last Olympics by the proverbial mile?
What you're saying is a myth.
The Chinese don't eat so much rice these days and are becoming bigger and stronger.

Gorecki
08-31-2011, 04:47 AM
China: make China Open a Grand Slam, or no more tennis racquet for you!

we whould have to go back to Austrian Made Heads and St Vincent made Wilsons and that would be lame wouldnt it.... :twisted:

Sentinel
08-31-2011, 06:10 AM
Yeah, considering how many Paes and Bhupathi have won, India should also "demand" a slam.
Right on bro.:)
I nominate suresh for World President.