PDA

View Full Version : Has the shreiking gotten out of hand?

AR15
08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Pat McEnroe is discussing the topic now. Seems Sharapova has reached record levels with her shrieking. Should the umpires put a sock in it?

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes,and it should have been done a long time ago.

Outbeyond
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh absolutely...I just heard Mac2's rant as well and couldn't agree with him more. It's SO annoying - and I actually want to watch the girl play but find it very difficult, indeed, to do so with her version of making sure everyone knows she's there.

It's a bullying tactic of sorts, but when it all starts annoying the hell out of the stadium and the ENTIRE match...it's uncalled for.

Boot it off, I say!

By the way: Mac2 is calling for Shrieka's next opponent - or any opponent of hers in this tournament - to complain at the start of the match about the shrieks. Let's see what ensues...his challenge will surely be discussed amongst the sisterhood there.

TMF
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, if they want to abandon all the noises during the rally, then Azarenka, Serena, Venus, Schiavone, Nadal and many players out there to keep their mouth shut.

Clarky21
08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, if they want to abandon all the noises during the rally, then Azarenka, Serena, Venus, Schiavone, Nadal and many players out there to keep their mouth shut.

You forgot Djokovic,but even as loud as some of the men are,they are not nearly as bad as some of the women.

bluetrain4
08-29-2011, 02:38 PM
The problem is that they would never outlaw all grunting. So, it becomes very subjective. Where is the cutoff? Clearly, there are obvious examples, like Sharapova today, but what about players who are flirting with whatever standard is set.

It can't be left up to the opponent to say "she/he is bothering me" because then an opponent could simply complain to get in the head of the offending player.

I guess there could be a decibel-meter. That could be sort of cool, flashing the decibels of various players' shrieks on the big screen, like they do with line calls and Shot Spot.

rdis10093
08-29-2011, 02:54 PM
it hurts my ears

sureshs
08-29-2011, 02:55 PM
PMac should win 3 singles Slams first without shrieking, and then comment on this

Tony48
08-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Nothing will come of this. She's been shrieking since forever.

Tim Tennis
08-29-2011, 03:24 PM

I agree, that is the problem, where do you draw the line.

TonyB
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Good thing this topic's never been discussed before.

Cormorant
08-29-2011, 03:35 PM
If the banshee wails anywhere near that level on her way to the semis, she'll only be doing so to save face. No one's going to test her enough to elicit the shrill, undignified, bullying, loco, whale-beaching, S&M laryngeal exertions heard today.

Tim Tennis
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Good thing this topic's never been discussed before.

You are right but it's hard to find a general topic that has not been discussed.

spiderman123
08-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Sharapova's shrieks are not like some involunatary grunting.

She stops mid-shriek if the ball hits the net otherwise carries it long.

Today she increased the volume a lot and used it very well as an intimidation tactic.

Mustard
08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
To think Seles once got criticism for grunting when we have the likes of Sharapova today who shriek at very loud volumes. And Sharapova ups the volume around 20% when she's under pressure, especially against inexperienced opponents.

spiderman123
08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
To think Seles once got criticism for grunting when we have the likes of Sharapova today who shriek at very loud volumes. And Sharapova ups the volume around 20% when she's under pressure, especially against inexperienced opponents.

I think you missed a zero there.

mike84
08-29-2011, 06:01 PM
watching Sharapova match today

i would say yes

the funniest part sharapova seems to go from 80db to 160db as she is about to win the point

jmverdugo
08-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I was stringing some racquets today and my wife was watching the match, it was really unbearable, nothing to do with the other guys grunting, i was just hoping one of the girls to make a mistake and stop the torture.

swordtennis
08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes. It is WEIRD. Strange times. Only time I root 4 Serena W. is when she beats the shrieker(s).

winstonplum
08-29-2011, 10:01 PM

That's why everyone hates her. Everyone. Really, who ever roots for Masha? But her opponents are idiots for not complaining. Either they're totally gutless or it doesn't really bother them.

Subventricular Zone
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
There is a difference between (high-pitched) shrieking and grunting IMO.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
That's why everyone hates her. Everyone. Really, who ever roots for Masha? But her opponents are idiots for not complaining. Either they're totally gutless or it doesn't really bother them.

I think most players really do not give a damn; it never stops them from playing, otherwise there would be a large outcry about the matter. Moreover, the tennis PTB are not going to screw with name players or players with asses they like to kiss.

adventure
08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Yes, but the worst, most notorious shrieker is also the biggest draw on the women's side: Maria.

I think it does detract from the credibility of the women's game, then again, no one seems to be watching the men, either.

EnigmaticPragmatic
08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
idk the unforced errors and double faults bother me the most. shrieking is just part of the WTA now, so it's pointless to hate.
as long as the quality of tennis is good, let them shriek. I really don't care.

asifallasleep
08-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Good thing for Sharipova that she's blonde. All the advertisers filling her pockets to make her the highest paid endorsement tennis athlete don't seem to mind her shrieking. I don't think she's really attractive, being skinny and blonde has really helped her cash flow.

Now Kournikova was hot. I'd rather watch any match of hers, win or lose.

Sharipova, can't listen to that noise for a moment.

Nuke
08-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Yes. It is WEIRD. Strange times. Only time I root 4 Serena W. is when she beats the shrieker(s).

Serena is loud, too.

KHSOLO
08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Yes,and it should have been done a long time ago.

Totally agree

One of the reasons i dont watch WTA matches is exactly because of this stupidity

not_federer
08-30-2011, 07:01 AM
I skipped this match like I always do with wta...was it really that bad?? Worse than usual is hard to imagine.

I dunno why they call it grunting, especially on the ladies side. There's a difference between an "AH!" sound after serving or hitting a running forehand, and the SHRIEKING that permeates that ladies game.

Hood_Man
08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I think the Umpires should be given the power to deduct points, it's incredibly annoying. Especially when they continue to grunt long after they've hit the ball, and when their opponent is hitting their shot.

Enough is enough.

LuvTheGame
08-30-2011, 07:28 AM
The shreiking has gotten out of hand...why is it allowed to continue and even get louder and higher pitched? Sex sells!

celoft
08-30-2011, 07:29 AM
It is hilarious.

Magnetite
08-30-2011, 07:35 AM
It gets annoying when it's really loud. Sharapova was so loud, it was ridiculous.

A lot of players grunt when they hit the ball hard, but it's nothing like some of these women.

To be honest, I think it's partially so annoying because the women have a higher pitched grunt.

Magnetite
08-30-2011, 07:36 AM
I just read a post above and yes, it's not even grunting.

It is a high pitched shriek.

West Coast Ace
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
PMac should win 3 singles Slams first without shrieking, and then comment on thisDifferent rules for different levels of players? I don't see that being a good strategy.

It is pathetic. WTA is in a bind since it's 3 of their big draws (Shara, VA, Serena) - at a time when they desperately need them.

marcub
08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
PMac should win 3 singles Slams first without shrieking, and then comment on this

That's the dumbest comment I've seen in a while.

sureshs
08-30-2011, 07:51 AM
That's the dumbest comment I've seen in a while.

PMac is big on comments about others, like Sharapova and Young, but the only reason he has a job is because he is someone's brother.

pvaudio
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
And yes, there is a difference between grunting like even Nadal and Serena do because Maria and Azarenka simply scream at the ball depending on the shot. Even if the pace drops, the volume increases if it's a tough shot or clearly during a fast paced part of any given point. That's the part that makes it so annoying and shows it's controllable. AHHHHHHHHHH- where the ball hits the net or AHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where the ball lands wide and she gets mad. Pathetic.

Clarky21
08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Azarenka out there wailing like a banshee right now. Just one of the many reasons I don't watch the WTA.

Agent Orynge
08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Really not that hard to create a new standard, or enforce it. With the increasing amount of technology augmenting the modern game, a device that measures decibel level wouldn't be altogether difficult to add to the ump's chair.

There's also a huge technical difference between grunting and shrieking. I own an electronic set of ear protection that I use when I go shooting. The ear-pro mutes the high pitched crack of the muzzle report, while still allowing me to hear people talk with absurd clarity. If a simple piece of range equipment can tell the difference between wanted and unwanted sounds, then so can we - or any other choice technology we add to the game.

Maybe the shrieks (I before E, people!) don't bother the pros, but who's worried about the pros watching tennis? If the powers that be want to keep televised tennis profitable, they'll have to fix this at some point. Women's tennis is enough of a joke as it is, there's no need to ruin what little redeeming value there is.

marcub
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
PMac is big on comments about others, like Sharapova and Young, but the only reason he has a job is because he is someone's brother.

I disagree with that. he's no worse a commentator than Brad Gilbert or Pam Shriver, or Chris Evert. Mind you, his very comment that we're discussing here made sense.

Agent Orynge
08-30-2011, 08:30 AM
I disagree with that. he's no worse a commentator than Brad Gilbert or Pam Shriver, or Chris Evert. Mind you, his very comment that we're discussing here made sense.

Poor athletes often make excellent coaches and commentators. Look at what BG did for Agassi.

What's the old adage? "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

marcub
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Poor athletes often make excellent coaches and commentators. Look at what BG did for Agassi.

What's the old adage? "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Absolutely. In my view it goes well with BG as a coach (not as a commentator though) and with Pmac as a commentator. Or with Cahill as both.

To develop that further: great athletes, on the other hand, usually make so-so commentators or coaches. Big exception as a commentator: JMac.

Kenny022593
08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Watching Petkovic right now. She doesn't grunt all the time so I guess it isn't out of hand for her! It is funny though, "OOOF AHHH."

marcub
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Watching Petkovic right now. She doesn't grunt all the time so I guess it isn't out of hand for her! It is funny though, "OOOF AHHH."

Mind you, not all grunts can be extra-annoying. Take Kirilenko for example - she sure has a way about it :)

tbonegas
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
It is so annoying,simply because there is no need for it.It is nigh on cheating,because it puts the opponent off.It should be stopped now.If the authorities told the players to stop doing it with immediate effect,or they would be defaulted,then they would stop it.Sharapova and Azarenka and the two sisters have got on peoples nerves for too long now and something should be done about it.

pug
08-30-2011, 11:28 AM

To me it sounds more like: Aahhhh fuhhhhhhk. Maybe I am just hearing what I want to.

Mustard
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
To develop that further: great athletes, on the other hand, usually make so-so commentators or coaches. Big exception as a commentator: JMac.

I really like Jimmy Connors and Mats Wilander as commentators.

Clarky21
08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
To me it sounds more like: Aahhhh fuhhhhhhk. Maybe I am just hearing what I want to.

It sounds like "oh,f*ck" to me,too so you are definitely not hearing things. :lol:

marcub
08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I really like Jimmy Connors and Mats Wilander as commentators.

if you hadn't said "like" I would have said it's very debatable. But liking is subjective so I can't argue with that. Navratilova is a former great that I look at as a good commentator.

Rhino
08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I saw her first match. I could not believe the shrieking, she should be ashamed. It definitely has to stop.

Mustard
08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I saw her first match. I could not believe the shrieking, she should be ashamed. It definitely has to stop.

Remember the shriekfest of Sharapova vs. Venus Williams in the 2005 Wimbledon semi finals? Sharapova was beaten at her own game that day.

Bud
08-30-2011, 12:47 PM
I can't even watch Sharapova any more. She annoys the hell outta me. From her silly on-court rituals to her ear-piercing screams during points, she's worn out her welcome.

I was praying she'd be knocked out early yesterday.

michaelavich
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't mind a little grunting or whatever but it's every time they hit the ball it gets pretty unbearable. Azaraneka's is definitely very odd and high pitched. Although Gustova Kuerten's moaning used to bother me too so it's not just the ladies.

Hood_Man
08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I think tennis fans the world over should shriek and scream whenever they meet one of these players in public.

I'm sure it would get the message across when Sharapova reaches the till and the cashier says "here's your CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!!!!!!!!" for the umpteenth time that month.

TMF
08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I can't even watch Sharapova any more. She annoys the hell outta me. From her silly on-court rituals to her ear-piercing screams during points, she's worn out her welcome.

Ironically you have no problem with Nadal, who has many annoying/repulsive antics on court. (dry)

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Remember the shriekfest of Sharapova vs. Venus Williams in the 2005 Wimbledon semi finals? Sharapova was beaten at her own game that day.
Speaking of that match. Funny video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgpX-9AcXM

West Coast Ace
08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Ironically you have no problem with Nadal, who has many annoying/repulsive antics on court. (dry)Very true. And Rafa used to be quite the grunter too.

I think tennis fans the world over should shriek and scream whenever they meet one of these players in public.

I'm sure it would get the message across when Sharapova reaches the till and the cashier says "here's your CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!!!!!!!!" for the umpteenth time that month.She was in my cabin on the flight back from Wimby - was going to ask for a picture but then thought about the shrieking and decided not to.

SLD76
08-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought it was just me who found sharapova unbearable today, and coincidence, she was actually challenged for a little bit.

How predictable, and how weak. Win with your racket, not your vocal chords. This is tennis not american idol.

CCNM
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Is it just me, or is Maria S. getting louder as she gets older?

Outbeyond
08-30-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm sure it would get the message across when Sharapova reaches the till and the cashier says "here's your CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!!!!!!!!" for the umpteenth time that month.

LOL!!!! I like that idea.

Mustard
08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Speaking of that match. Funny video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgpX-9AcXM

LOL. Good one :)

KHSOLO
08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Someone with knowledge should write a letter to the WTA and the promoters and have mass subscribers sign it so we can get the point across

swordtennis
08-30-2011, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Nuke;5942120]Serena is loud, too.[/QUOTE
S. Williams shriek is annoying. Not as annoying as Azarenka and Sharapova. Weird shrieks in the womans match tonight....

DownTheLine
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Sharapovas match yesterday was just getting pathetic.. It was fine at first, but now it's just stupid.

Clarky21
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Sharapovas match yesterday was just getting pathetic.. It was fine at first, but now it's just stupid.

It was. Feli Lopez tweeted that he could hear her on 45th street yesterday. I'm not sure if he was kidding or not,but I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious. She's like an air raid siren.

Radicalized
08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I saw a husband/wife match a few years ago. The guy looked like the old Giants football player Jim Burt. The wife was a small woman. He's grunting like a WTA-er, and she wasn't making a sound--and kicking his butt.

Baxter
08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Jovanowski's is pretty horrendous.

DownTheLine
08-30-2011, 07:39 PM
It was. Feli Lopez tweeted that he could hear her on 45th street yesterday. I'm not sure if he was kidding or not,but I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious. She's like an air raid siren.

hahaha. Did any pro tweet back or something?

Atherton2003
08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Sharapova has the worst grunt - and Schiavone might even top Sharapova. At least I can look at Sharapova when I put the t.v. on mute - can't say the same for Schiavone.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Someone with knowledge should write a letter to the WTA and the promoters and have mass subscribers sign it so we can get the point across

That's going nowhere fast.

Clarky21
08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
hahaha. Did any pro tweet back or something?

I'm not sure. That's the only one I saw,but he seemed deadly serious. Lol.

flyinghippos101
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Why aren't people mentioning Venus? Her screaming and bellowing is as obnoxious and unnecessary as Sharapova and Azarenka's. For ****'s sake, she screams when she hits a drop shot or volley.

adventure
08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Add Jova to the list. Too bad, she's very pretty.

And Venus' shriek is frightening. Very close to the top of the list.

I hate to say it; I'm close to joining the WTA is a joke bandwagon.

Atherton2003
08-30-2011, 07:49 PM
I never watch the Williams sisters.

Tanya
08-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Why aren't people mentioning Venus? Her screaming and bellowing is as obnoxious and unnecessary as Sharapova and Azarenka's. For ****'s sake, she screams when she hits a drop shot or volley.

Venus's shriek is definitely up there, but it's not nearly as loud as Sharapova/Azarenka.

jerriy
Sharap did increase her volume (she was already the loudest so people thought she had already reached her vocal upper limit but apparently not :lol:

Also it may have to do with the fact that she was struggling against a low ranked player that she's expected to beat easily (these kinda situations seems to rattle her a bit extra and that gets translated into extra decibels of noise.

djNEiGht
for those of you that know and play angry birds, i was on one of the golden egg levels that was basically like a drum pad. i'd hit certain icons when jova/serena would hit the ball. when my timing got better i would also hit an explosion on the serve or an overhead and a brick when the ball would bounce.

drakulie
08-30-2011, 08:01 PM
It is way beyond out of control, and the worst part is she does it purposely.

Here she is practicing. No noise what-so-ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6qvGHUxMiE

Quite frankly, the women's game is in absolute shambles, and is a disgrace. The fact these squeeling pigs in heat get paid the same amount as the men is an embarassment to the game.

I wish they would completely separate the two (wta / atp) so we wouldn't have to put up with this crapola.

swordtennis
08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Agreed it is a disgrace. Weird mental S. Williams interview w Pam Shriver. Too much PED,s in the brain.

cc0509
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM

You are complaining about the on court rituals of Sharapova? That is rich coming from a Nadal worshipper! :shock:

jerriy
08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
You are complaining about the on court rituals of Sharapova? That is rich coming from a Nadal worshipper! :shock: lulz

10 humbalitos

Hitman
08-31-2011, 12:45 AM
The shrieking has gotten to a severe level of pathetic now.

Sharapova was extremely annoying.

LOL at the commentators, who were applauding the shrieking, saying that it must take an expcetional amount of strength to scream that much and that loud throughout the match...what mental strength shown by Sharapova.

What utter garbage. She was irritated that this newcomer was not crumbling before her, and she was reacting in anger. Almost trying to say....I am Sharapova!!!!

adventure
08-31-2011, 02:02 AM
The tennis establishment is increasingly in denial about their game.

There is less and less interest in the sport, and it has nothing to do with internationalization. In the NBA, the influx of international talent has only led to dramatically increased ratings and worldwide visibility.

In tennis, tv ratings have plummeted, and there are no moves to improve the game or at least increase it's popularity.

In the NBA, rules changes, even very significant ones, are implemented every few years to maintain a fast paced, exciting style of play.

In tennis, the leadership tries to rationalize the embarrassing aspects of the game, when in fact doing so, only drives away more fans and reduces the game's credibility even further.

Very few sports fans anywhere look to Serena as a credible champion; everyone knows she is on PED's.

Very few sports fans can watch a women's watch without laughing because of all of the ridiculous shrieking and emotional breakdowns. It's a joke.

When the USTA recognizes and acknowledges the game's problems first, and then addresses them second, then fans will return.

Anyway, the embarrassing state of women's tennis is evidence of a much broader problem: the lack of tennis leadership.

marcub
08-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Sharapova has the worst grunt - and Schiavone might even top Sharapova. At least I can look at Sharapova when I put the t.v. on mute - can't say the same for Schiavone.

:grin: My thoughts exactly!

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
The tennis establishment is increasingly in denial about their game.

Certain fans are in denial about the game and value of brands (top players). No organization is going to seriously disturb their biggest assets in order to placate any insignificant gaggle of alleged tennis fans.

In tennis, the leadership tries to rationalize the embarrassing aspects of the game, when in fact doing so, only drives away more fans and reduces the game's credibility even further.

Where is the evidence to support this statement? A couple of articles? a few people on message boards who do not make up the ticket holding or TV-watching masses? If one thing could be cited as something driving fans away, it is any attempt to justify (via celebration) of players who do not live up to the hype. That's not respected in any sport.

Very few sports fans anywhere look to Serena as a credible champion; everyone knows she is on PED's.

Empty charges completely devoid of facts. The first sign of that quote being full of sh*t was the "everyone" nonsense free of even a particle of evidence (I notice you have not posted evidence), and your chukcle-inducing "credible" rant, which stands on the polar opposite of ex-players, fans and writers citing her as one of the all-time great players, which is all the credibility one needs.

adventure
08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Are you kidding?

Public tennis courts are empty.

Ratings have tanked.

Even fans who do show up are laughing at players throwing tantrums and shrieking.

Take a look at Serena. She's been "recovering" from a pulmonary embolism which is associated with the use of steroids. In other words, she almost killed herself by 'roiding. Also, she's been "recovering" from a foot injury, and hasn't been able to work out theoretically, and yet she is still the size of a college football running back.

No one is watching tennis because it's a joke right now.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Are you kidding?

Your claim was:

...as the reason for fans moving away, but you have not proven this at all--you merely post it sans evidence and expect it to be believed.

Even fans who do show up are laughing at players throwing tantrums and shrieking.

I do not see all seats filled with fans laughing at the players who make noise, and that's not the reason they're buying tickets.

Take a look at Serena. She's been "recovering" from a pulmonary embolism which is associated with the use of steroids.

Absolute bull. You are posting this without so much as one official record or statement about her medical issues, and you sure as hell have not proven she ever used PEDs. Moreover, if you judge PED use by the most flimsy "indicator" of all--appearance--then the accused and historically thin Lance Armstrong would have avoided the widespread suspicions about his (highly likely) PED abuse.

Until you do more than make wafer-thin charges never proven by any official body, you are just posting garbage for the sake of it.

No one is watching tennis because it's a joke right now.

Your opinion. There are real factors hurting the sport (slamless #1 players, rumors that the PTB try to make all majors courts play the same--slow--thus killing a variety of playing styles, etc.), but the in-game noise from players has nothing to do with that. No one is complaining to TV channels, event organizers, et al, because it is not the "problem" a few message board whiners suggest it is.

teamusa
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM

I bring up this point all the time. It's definitely a fine line to walk.

It's not the grunting that bothers me, per se. It's the fact that the production crew hasn't thought of - or at least hasn't figured out how yet - adjusting the commentators' volume over the court volume (aka grunting) so we can watch and listen to the match comfortably.

adventure
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
You think there's no evidence that no one is watching tennis?

US Open finals ratings are in the 1 to 2 range. The NBA finals are around 20, and the Superbowl does a 40+.

Your complete ignorance regarding PED's is a complete joke. EPO maximizes oxygen carried to the lungs from the muscles. It is in no way correlated to muscle mass; it increases red blood cell counts. The following study shows an astounding 54% increase in performance:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/effect-of-epo-on-performance-who.html

As far as Serena, you are either in denial or are suffering from stevie wonder vision if you think she is not on steroids. She hits much harder than Maria Sharapova, while expending much less energy.

She has never publicly discussed a weight training program ever, and yet she has the physique of a bodybuilder. A male bodybuilder. She is the best athlete in tennis in her mid twenties and suffers a pulmonary embolism. Figure it out.

Oh, and here is a classic example of 'roid rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE6Z5Q2tOk4

"I will shove the ball down your ------' throat!"

Your claim was:

...as the reason for fans moving away, but you have not proven this at all--you merely post it sans evidence and expect it to be believed.

I do not see all seats filled with fans laughing at the players who make noise, and that's not the reason they're buying tickets.

Absolute bull. You are posting this without so much as one official record or statement about her medical issues, and you sure as hell have not proven she ever used PEDs. Moreover, if you judge PED use by the most flimsy "indicator" of all--appearance--then the accused and historically thin Lance Armstrong would have avoided the widespread suspicions about his (highly likely) PED abuse.

Until you do more than make wafer-thin charges never proven by any official body, you are just posting garbage for the sake of it.

Your opinion. There are real factors hurting the sport (slamless #1 players, rumors that the PTB try to make all majors courts play the same--slow--thus killing a variety of playing styles, etc.), but the in-game noise from players has nothing to do with that. No one is complaining to TV channels, event organizers, et al, because it is not the "problem" a few message board whiners suggest it is.

TMF
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I bring up this point all the time. It's definitely a fine line to walk.

It's not the grunting that bothers me, per se. It's the fact that the production crew hasn't thought of - or at least hasn't figured out how yet - adjusting the commentators' volume over the court volume (aka grunting) so we can watch and listen to the match comfortably.

You have a good point. Cut down the grunting noise by lowering the volume, but what we gain we can also lose. I enjoy hearing everything that's happening on court...the sound of footwork, ball bounce, or the ball coming off from a racquet. Today's technology allow us to enjoy "home theater experience". Quality sound allow me to enjoy the most out of the match. That's just me.

adventure
08-31-2011, 08:46 PM
USOPEN.org definitely turned down the volume of it's broadcast during the sharapova match.

They understand this is a problem, but refuse to acknowledge it openly.

teamusa
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
You have a good point. Cut down the grunting noise by lowering the volume, but what we gain we can also lose. I enjoy hearing everything that's happening on court...the sound of footwork, ball bounce, or the ball coming off from a racquet. Today's technology allow us to enjoy "home theater experience". Quality sound allow me to enjoy the most out of the match. That's just me.

Maybe they can come up with a noise canceler of sorts. I can't think specifically of the top of my head, but I have heard of other sports or entertainment events which have to use some sort of noise filter or inverse noise canceler to help eliminate unwanted sounds like traffic, aircraft, etc. Maybe, just maybe, they can do this for excessively loud grunting. (Ha. We can only hope.)

Manus Domini
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM
As far as Serena, you are either in denial or are suffering from stevie wonder vision if you think she is not on steroids. She hits much harder than Maria Sharapova, while expending much less energy.

Err, isn't it possible she was doing extensive muscle-strengthening long before Masha? I highly doubt she'd be doing PEDs before 15, and according to Andy Roddick, she was really strong when they played (I think they were like 10 or 12?)

Oh, and here is a classic example of 'roid rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE6Z5Q2tOk4

"I will shove the ball down your ------' throat!"

If that is evidence for PEDs, John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors should be condemned as the biggest PED users in history...

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I have to say that Serena's arms scare me this tournament.
I've never seen them so big but maybe it's just an impression.

Pancho G
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Woman's tennis is so boring. Why watch? Mens tennis is really all that counts in my mind. I could see women tennis players wanting to watch womens tennis, but to me, if I'm gonna watch tennis, it's gonna be mens tennis. Fast and furious.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Err, isn't it possible she was doing extensive muscle-strengthening long before Masha? I highly doubt she'd be doing PEDs before 15, and according to Andy Roddick, she was really strong when they played (I think they were like 10 or 12?)

He will ignore Roddick's personal experience in favor of fantasy, and the fact that each player--even in the bigger, stronger generations--will have different stages of development. Human beings are not produced from the cloning assembly line to pop out the same as all others--something the member you are addressing fails to comprehend.

not_federer
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Reposted from other thread:

Wozniacki vs Rus - Wozniacki struggled at the end of the first, double faulting and such. She was SHRIEKING like hot coals were scalding her feet. Wins the first set.

Second set she magically quieted down.

WTA is a fraking joke and I hate that they play it on top of ATP.

not_federer
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Also, they can never close. They make us sit through the ladies' match before real tennis starts and then their match should be a by the book 6-2 6-3 win but no, they win the first set 6-4, lose the second set easily due to mental lapse, then are up a break in the third set and give it back, have three break points to go up another break, can't convert, have match points, can't convert, goes to a tie break, up a minibreak, give them back...bla blah blah.

I'm looking at you Sharapova - Dulgheru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-pttlv3RI

mctennis
09-01-2011, 10:51 PM
The umpires should stop the shrieking and put an end to this nonsense. She doesn't need to do that and it certainly doesn't help her skills. It is a habit and also designed to distract her opponent. PERIOD!!!

teamusa
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Also, they can never close. They make us sit through the ladies' match before real tennis starts and then their match should be a by the book 6-2 6-3 win but no, they win the first set 6-4, lose the second set easily due to mental lapse, then are up a break in the third set and give it back, have three break points to go up another break, can't convert, have match points, can't convert, goes to a tie break, up a minibreak, give them back...bla blah blah.

I was never a fan of Henin in terms of her personality and mannerisms, but there was no denying her game and talent. I'm really starting to miss her at this point in the women's game.

yemenmocha
09-02-2011, 08:12 PM
+1 to Navratilova's video coverage commentary of Sharapova NOT shrieking during intense practice on the practice court (couple days ago).

It *is* voluntary shrieking.

yemenmocha
09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Woman's tennis is so boring. Why watch? Mens tennis is really all that counts in my mind. I could see women tennis players wanting to watch womens tennis, but to me, if I'm gonna watch tennis, it's gonna be mens tennis. Fast and furious.

Can you imagine competitive NBA games being interrupted to quickly check on a WNBA game? And then watching some no-name WNBA teams/players for considerable time, while close NBA games were taking place yet not being covered? Just imagine the frustration.

What's funny about my analogy is that probably WNBA is more popular than women's tennis.

gregor.b
09-02-2011, 08:23 PM
This question is a bit of a no brainer isn't it?

drakulie
09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds of Silence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6qvGHUxMiE

Tennislover70
11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
What do you think about a female 3.0 usta league player who screams "YES" before/during every volley she hits? Definately distracting when you are at net across from her. Always apologizes after but does it a dozen times a match. It's very loud and most of her opponents are usually so surprised that they (if at all) are barely able to return the ball. Is this a hindrance? Should we just let it go? Any suggestions?

Tennislover70
11-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Sorry, didn't realize I was posting on a pro player thread!

RetroSpin
11-11-2011, 08:00 AM
What do you think about a female 3.0 usta league player who screams "YES" before/during every volley she hits? Definately distracting when you are at net across from her. Always apologizes after but does it a dozen times a match. It's very loud and most of her opponents are usually so surprised that they (if at all) are barely able to return the ball. Is this a hindrance? Should we just let it go? Any suggestions?

I'd look for a chance to line her up with an overhead, then yell "yes" after I drilled her. Then apologize.

Tennislover70
11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Ha! I will definately be looking for that opportunity!