PDA

View Full Version : What is the most powerful players racket??

Anonymous
04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
It's kinda like this. I currently play with the C-10 pro and like everything about the racket except its maneuverability and powerlevel. Ever since I got moved up to the 4.0 level my serve doesn't seem to be that much of a factor as it was at 3.5 as almost every one can handle a kick serve reasonably well. Besides every now and then I find my self being late on volleys and return of serve. I know I should stick to this racket and improve my strokes and foot work etc. But I don't have the time to play more than twice a week, and that too is in a league. With that in mind I need to be competitive with the 4.0 guys without investing time in practice.
I have a spin serve for both first and second, kinda like Rafter as I get about 60-70% first serves in. After about a set of play the swing weight of the C-10 starts taking its toll. Also, while playing at the net in doubles I have missed several volleys during fast exchanges when I get to the ball a tad bit late. A slightly lighter racket with more power will solve both problems.
I have tried the Diablo MP, which I liked some, but I find its power level to be almost the same as my C-10 if not lower. If I can keep the beam width, swing wt and flex of the diablo with the power level of the Babolat PD standard that would be my perfect stick.

So I ask you my tennis brethren to recommend any wands which have beamwidth under 22mm and compare in power level to the Bab-PD, reasonably flexible, and between 11 and 11.5 oz strung.

mary fierce
04-27-2004, 10:49 AM
It's kinda like this...the question is unanswerable as there is no agreed-upon definition of a players racquet, and "players" have taken to using more powerful "tweeners" such as PD. If Gambill and Sharapova use a powerful oversize wide-beam that's relatively stiff, who are we to say it's not a "players racquet." Use what works for you and ignore nomenclature.

Brent Pederson
04-27-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't think the racket you're looking for exists. In order to get the power level up there, you need either the thicker beam (and therefore stiffness) or the extra mass to create power. If you have a lighter, thin-beamed racket, without the weight, in essence, it's like trying to hit with a feather -- there's just not enough behind the ball to do anything.

The c10 is about the most powerful "players" racket there is given it's weight. Other powerful players sticks include the pure control, tour 10 mp, head radical os. The dunlop 300g is also in the ball park, but you really need to swing hard to get good power with it, imo.

I would suggest either trying lower string tension, or more powerful strings to get your power level up. Or, switch to either an OS stick like the rad, c10 os. A third option would be to just go ahead and get a pd if you can learn to deal with the beam width and stiffness.

kreative
04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
agree w/ brent on all recomendations, also if you want, try some of the PK sticks, 5G, laver type S

fastdunn
04-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I have switched to a lighter and more powerfull frame because
of similar reasons as yours. I also hit 2-3 times a week.
In fact, lots and lots of people are switching like you and me
(which is not necessarily good trend,IMHO).

I didn't want subtle change and demoed likes of Bab PD,
Wilson Surge, H Tour and so on... And I ended up choosing
Yonex 300 MP which is less powerfull than PD or Surge.
It had tweener range power but kinda small sweet spot
and subtly control oriented (kinda like old RQ 1700)

I feel much ease with this lighter, powerfull frame.
Most noticable was my serving. I get more power as well as
more spin. In ground strokes, I get less tired by using this
but I think I prefer my MP-1 which is heavier.

In volleying department, there are +'s and -'s with lighter
frame but not much
I think I'm doing a little better for fast exchange
at the net(I think it's more of anticipation and alertness
that matters, not the frame).
It's also easier to handle mid-court volley.
But it's hard to harness power of hard hit passing shots.
It's also harder to block overhead smash landing near you
(which was my forte. I used to wow people with it.)

But in general, I think I'll stick to the lighter frame
and get used to it. I just get less tired with it and much
easier to handle. Most importantly, I can add more spin
while maintaining same pace with ease.
(also... I'm getting old...)

Anonymous
04-27-2004, 11:38 AM
fastdunn, you are on the money. Reading your post I think you are dealing with the same issue as I am. I'll try to get hold of a 300MP demo. On the same token a couple of years ago I had demoed the Bab PC Zylon 360 and really liked it at that time.

mary, the term player's racket in popular lingo refers to heavy, head light, flexible and thin beam frames which are preferred by most professionals and big swinging advanced recreationals. It's just a general terms referring to any racket with those characteristics, it does not imply any association with a professional tennis player. In the same way the tennis community has coined the terms tweener, game improvement etc. Almost everyone understands these terms, and it's a convenient method to transmit your messages with fewest words.

Brent agree with you on all counts, that's why I floated this question because I couldn't find anything that fits the bill. The Prince PR-Ti came closest albeit being stiff, but it had a thin beam and was quite powerful. Alas Prince has been unable to create a true successor.

NoBadMojo
04-27-2004, 11:56 AM
maybe try the tt warrior. it's a spin machine, a little lighter in weight, a great price, fairly stiff but doesnt feel stiff, serves and volleys great, etc. i use the tour10mp....it's surprising powerful i have found when strung w. gut. i've cut most of the grommet material out of them and have leather grips so they play pretty light now and headlight..thin beamed, flexy w. a firmer hoop than your c10 and more powerful..if you like the volkl family, give it a demo. ed

fred-s
04-27-2004, 12:46 PM
You might try the Volkl Cat 10. Has a similar soft feel as the C10 but swings much lighter. Very easy to generate spin. Because you will be able to swing it faster, it may well be "more powerful" for you. It can be pushed around a little when you play against a lot of pace, but I think it can handle the type of pace you will normally see at the 4.0 level. It is very maneuverable. String it toward the higher end of the range. Sticking with the Volkl line, you might also consider the V-Engine 9. It is in the weight ball park you are looking for. I hit with it for a while and it felt pretty good, although much lighter than the 12 oz racquet I am used to.

Robert Jones
04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I would try different strings before dumping your stick. Put some soft multifiliments in it. You will will have more heat for sure maybe too much. They don't spin well though.

Damn I can't beleive you think the diablo MP is low power. Everyone that tries mine loves it for serves. I do too but its too zippy for me on the ground.

I know what you mean about 3.5 players having more problems with your serve then you move up and they all seem to be teeing off on it. Having some heat is nice for sure. But you will pay a price on the ground. No free lunch.

If you are serve and volley then higher power should have more pros than cons. I think S/V is the best game for 4.0 level. The players are not good enough to pass you consistantly like the pros do. I'm still not in good enough condition for 3 sets s/v.

Anonymous
04-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Robert, my personal experience has been that the weight of a racket is a significant factor in power off the ground. I have loopy strokes on both side, SW forehand and SH backlhand. Due to my long strokes the timing becomes more critical and hence the necessity for early preparation. The Diablo MP has good power when it comes to serve but off the ground and volleys the C-10 is in the same power range. The strings will help my power issue but they don't help the fact that the weight of the C-10 does not permit being late on any shot, with a lighter racket I can make a small last minute adjustment and still stay in the point. I was able to do that with the Diablo, but it did not give me any power improvement. Within the volkl line for some reason I really loved the V-1 Classic. The only problem I had with the classic was the thick beam, not very good for SW forehand. I have tried the C-10 V engine but the dense string pattern doesn't work for me, hence the lack of interest in the C-9.

Fred, I demoed the Cat-10 a couple of years ago and I remember that although it had good maneuverability, but the C-10pro matched it's power off the ground, and the cat-10 was very unstable on volleys.

From previous demo experiences: I liked everything about the Bab PD standard, except that it was too stiff, I also liked the Yonex SRQ-Ti 1500 for a while but it had too much power besides I can't hit a good BH with OS rackets, 100" is about the biggest I can manage comfortably, 95-98 is my preffered range. I have already mentioned the Bab PC zylon 360, which I really liked, maybe it needs another visit.

perfmode
04-27-2004, 03:35 PM
oxymoron

bcaz
04-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Geez, I don't know ... I'm 50, 4.0, have a C-10 Pro, and I go to it sometimes to hit for fun -- really whale -- or when I feel slow. I think it swings pretty light and fast, giving you tons of hellacious spin.

BC

ps 6.0
04-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Hyper Pro Staff 6.1