PDA

View Full Version : Lopez adopting new strategy

gugafanatic
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
After his win over Andreev at the Swedish Open, I was surprised he was serve volleying predominantly on clay. Lopez showed his big leftie serve and subtle touch could be used to great affect on the grass but it seems Lopez now wants to exploit the serve-volley on other surfaces. In previous matches on clay/hard, he is known to hang at the baseline and play high risk tennis by going for broke on some forehands. Some of his best results have been on grass (4th rd and quarters at Wimby) and it is largely due to his ability to come into net and hit solid volleys. Lopez stated that he would continue to play this way in his next match and throughout the tournament.

Do you think Lopez should attempt to mould his game around serve and volley?. It sure worked against the likes of Ancic and Safin at Wimbledon.

Aykhan Mammadov
07-06-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't want even talk about him. Real man can't wear such a 3/4 pants as one guy wrote here already. Sorry, guga, and don't recommend u.

Phil Daddario
07-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I haven't watched too much of him.

But I know he was playing well at the net, and was even doing doubles with Nadal I think.

It'd help his game a lot, actually. His backhand isn't great, although his serve is awesome and his forehand is fine. The net would help cover it up for him.

I don't think he'll go pure S&V, but if he did it more or just got to net often, he'd definitely get better.

gugafanatic
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't want even talk about him. Real man can't wear such a 3/4 pants as one guy wrote here already. Sorry, guga, and don't recommend u.

Aykhan I belive Lopez and Nadal are going to continue to wear the some clothing at the US Open. John Mac has also decided to wear the pirate pants. I have lost respect for him too. How a guy can live with himself wearing such pants is unthinkable.

splink779
07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm going to disregard post #2 and say Lopez should stick to Serve and Volley or possibly reduce net approaches and be an all courter. It is great to have a non-baseline dominant Spaniard.

newracketagain??
07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
from the baselinelopez weas boring, he was nothing special but this new element to his game could take him to the enxt level and make him a real threat!

Phil Daddario
07-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Why should it matter what pants they're wearing? They're not exactly doing bad on the pro circuit. It's probably marketing and the sponsors. If it isn't, does it matter? If they're comfortable with it, I see no problems.

It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing I've ever seen. But it doesn't really matter. I'd wear those pants if it made me that good.

Misiti
07-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Enough about the friggin pants....It's European...thousands of heterosexual stylish men wear them...who cares about the pants...they arent wearing long nails and eyeliner..RELAX...Lopez although his game looks gauky...has proven to be effective and Nadal and Mac are great players.....
I def think Lopez and Nadal could be effective on Hard this summer...namely the US OPEN

Babblelot
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
I wish they'd televise something in the States. :mad:

Anyway, thanks for breaking the Federer-Roddick stronghold on this mb.

Much appreciated.

Dr.Lobster
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
i never thought those pants would be used for playing tennis

GotGame?
07-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Do you think Lopez should attempt to mould his game around serve and volley?. It sure worked against the likes of Ancic and Safin at Wimbledon.

I think he should, but also develop solidly from all-around. Though he lost against Hewitt, I was impressed with what I saw from him, and I think he will be an asset on all surfaces if he continues to develop this serve and volley and all-around.

ATXtennisaddict
07-06-2005, 08:17 PM
I think ppl here who have a problem with 3/4 pants are actually eye-ing the players themselves and wish those players would wear something more aesthetically pleasing, and much shorter and tighter.

Yours!05
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
...Lopez stated that he would continue to play this way in his next match and throughout the tournament.
Do you think Lopez should attempt to mould his game around serve and volley?. It sure worked against the likes of Ancic and Safin at Wimbledon.I think I heard him say that he was a Serve Volleyer. Period. (Could've been a language misunderstanding on my part.) Assuming he now is, I reckon it's a plan with some merit. While the whole tennis calendar will reward pure baseline over a year, he wasn't getting as much out of that as some. S&Vers so rare now that it may pay off for him with unexpected upsets when facing grooved baseliners who are rallying half asleep, waiting for something to happen - and what happens? This crazyman is running towards me - Panic!

Max G.
07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me!

He should make sure to keep his baseline game, of course - there's no way to be successful without one - but there are plenty of players out there that will be thrown off by good serve and volley play.

Yours!05
07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me!Still working for you too Max?;)

timmyboy
07-07-2005, 03:06 AM
he should try all courting, like feddererererererer.

pound cat
07-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Never mind pirate pants. There's a rumour that a couple of the men are going to wear long pants, especially when the weather is very cool & heir wives/girlfriends/mothers will be knitting white v-neck sweaters with maroon and navy stripes while watching matches. This will replace the fiddling around with nails and gum-chewing.

Marius_Hancu
07-07-2005, 03:58 AM
this is not good:

F.Lopez 6 0
P. Starace 7 6

Gstaad, clay (which isn't too good for him).