PDA

View Full Version : How Far Can Monfils Go?

asifallasleep
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I must say that I'm becoming increasingly pleased with Monfils trips to the net. This new aggressive element being injected into his passive retriever style is just what the doctor ordered. His volleys and touch are outstanding.
If he continues this aggressive style how high can he go in the rankings? Top 5?

rossi46
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
The only way for that to happen is if he decides to become more of a tennis player as opposed to an entertainer/shotmaker. But that is a double edged sword as he may not be as enjoyable to watch if that was to happen. His unpredictability makes him great to watch.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
His focus is too sketchy, if he wants to go to the top, he needs to stay focused and not go Cirque du Soleil.

Lsmkenpo
08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
I think he could make the quarters against Djokovic and possibly upset him.

jokinla
08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Did you see their recent matches? Novak was hardly pushed, and in a 3 out of 5 match, unless Novak's fitness is still not back, there is even less of a chance for Monfils, even if he got a lead, he'd just start clowning around, and Novak would come back, not a chance.

FedExpress 333
08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Quarters, but i agree with the OP. Also, a bit flatter and more agressive shots from the baseline would help too.

2ndServe
08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
s and v and hitting volleys against grigor is very different from doing against nadal, fed, novak, murray etc.

Lsmkenpo
08-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Did you see their recent matches? Novak was hardly pushed, and in a 3 out of 5 match, unless Novak's fitness is still not back, there is even less of a chance for Monfils, even if he got a lead, he'd just start clowning around, and Novak would come back, not a chance.

Of course I saw it , hardly pushed? It went three sets. He took a set off of him I would call that being slightly pushed. Different story if it was a straight set victory. One or two points is all it takes to change the perspective of an entire match or season for that matter.

Lsmkenpo
08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
s and v and hitting volleys against grigor is very different from doing against nadal, fed, novak, murray etc.

He just did it against Novak last week did you see the match, he was very effective playing S&V against him.

bluetrain4
08-29-2011, 11:50 PM
His focus is too sketchy, if he wants to go to the top, he needs to stay focused and not go Cirque du Soleil.

Exactly.

As always with good athletes with talent, we assume that they can just turn "focus" and "strategy" on and off. But sometimes mental skills are just as hard to develop as physical skills.

Really, Monfils has the physical skills (barring injury). He can play extraordinary defense. He can play big offense. He has some nice touch. He can serve big.

But, he just can't put it all together. He often doesn't know what to do and when to do it, and he often just reacts to what his opponent is doing. With his athleticism, he could be great playing aggressive, yet patient tennis, relying on his defensive skills when he has to, not simply because he gets a kick out running down 10 shots. Instead, he'll randomly play an insanely aggressive shot, serve and volley, and then play the majority of the set ten feet behind the baseline, playing primarily defensive.

Clearly, you can't call him unsuccessful. He's had a career that all but a handful of players would die for. But, there's always the feeling that he could do more if is head were on straight, which it is sometimes for small stretches, but rarely for a whole match or a whole tournament.

If he focused he could certainly get to the 4th Rnd or the QFs, but he could just as easily lose next round, especially with his bum knee.

I just appreciate him for what he is, a very good, usually highly entertaining player, if not exactly consistently focused.

celoft
08-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Only if Djoko's shoulder is truly injured.

jakemcclain32
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Second round. JC Ferrero will beat him.

kanamit
08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
With Grigor Dimitrov? Probably pretty far indeed!

Rhino
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Good call.

adventure
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
He's a real character. Often seems more intent on displaying his "creativity" and showing off than on winning games and matches.

He might be better off joining the ranks of pro 'rasslin'

HiroProtagonist
09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
He just did it against Novak last week did you see the match, he was very effective playing S&V against him.

Ya that was a GREAT match, inspired play from Monfils.

I agree with most that it doesn't seem that he posses the focus throughout a match to accomplish great results....but it is of course possible that he will develop it.

And to those who say he should just hit harder and flatter you must realize it is not as easy as just deciding to do that, harder and flatter increases the difficulty of execution and comes at the risk of more errors.

I think that his strategy of selective aggressiveness fits his skill set, but I do think that he could increase his pace of shot a little more often during rallies but not all that much. And the S&V game and general net aggression is a great mix up to take advantage of his opponents complacency that tends to creep in to their game when facing Monfils.

Tennis_Monk
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Glad to see Juan Carlos playing good and on American TV after a long time.

Charles
09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Am I the only one who saw that point where Monfils thought the ball was out and was waiting for a call, but when it never came he reached out, stabbed at the ball, blooped it over the net and won the point against Grigor?

The latter was so ****ed hahahaha

HiroProtagonist
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one who saw that point where Monfils thought the ball was out and was waiting for a call, but when it never came he reached out, stabbed at the ball, blooped it over the net and won the point against Grigor?

The latter was so ****ed hahahaha

Nope, it's been mentioned in several threads.

Charles
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Nope, it's been mentioned in several threads.

Apologies, I'm a bit of an infrequent lurker and do not read through a lot of threads.

But damn was that hilarious.

ViscaB
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Wow. Should have put some money on that! Any other tips:).