PDA

View Full Version : Lots of 1HBHs this year at the USO.

TonyB
08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm loving the one-handers tonight. Golubev, Blake, and Huta Galung (whoever that is) are playing right now and all of them have pretty nice looking one-handers.

Yesterday, Federer and Dimitrov showed their goods as well. It's been a nice couple of days of admiring my fellow 1HBH players.

It just surprised me, as I haven't seen this many matches before with players using one-handers in such a short period of time. And aggressive backhands, too! Golubev's looks very strong, as does Blake's, and Federer was crushing his last night too.

It's just so much better than watching baseball-bat style two-handers bunt the ball back and forth all day. :)

Devilito
08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
It’s actually shocking considering how few juniors are learning a 1hbh. The ratio is almost in favor of 1hbh players coming through. Another funny thing I notice is how most 1hbh players are usually considered to have a stronger backhand than forehand. If the 1hbh was a weakness wouldn’t their forehands be FAR better than their backhand?

TenTan
08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
the more the better

stoo
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't forget Haas.

West Coast Ace
08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
the more the betterAmen. the one hander will live forever!

Golubev's shocked me too. So compact - and he's a big boy so it packs an incredible wallop!

Caesar
08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Not surprising. Who were all these young guys trying to emulate growing up? Federer. Possibly Sampras if they were old enough.

I suspect we will see the 1HBH craze continue for at least another 5 years or so. After that, all the 10 year olds currently drooling over Djokovic's brutal 2HBH will start hitting the ATP Tour.