PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Haas - 2011 U.S. Open Champion

stoo
08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm predicting it now.

Breaker
08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm going with a bit of a safe pick, but I'm predicting it now.

http://i.imgur.com/ughmb.jpg

AM95
08-30-2011, 07:17 PM

dude..what are you smoking?

i'd love to see tommy win but...c'mon.

stoo
08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
dude..what are you smoking?

i'd love to see tommy win but...c'mon.

I just got a feeling.

West Coast Ace
08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm going with a bit of a safe pick, but I'm predicting it now.Joel Dali beat you to it - he has the worst man crush on Gulbis after watching him in person today.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm predicting it now.Champion pretty boy? :)

Tennis_Monk
08-30-2011, 07:37 PM

I am glad you got a chance to put in your prediction but unfortunately i have allocated USOPEN 2011 to someone else and it is a pain to change all that allocation. So i have to go with what i already decided. Neither Gulbis Nor Tommy Haas are going to win it.

Tammo
08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Seriously? That is a looooooooooooooooong shot. After coming back from various injuries, and all it just isn't possible. Even Golubev has a better chance.

hcb0804
08-30-2011, 08:13 PM

I hope he gets some new shirts before the final......
Hanes pocket tees just won't cut it.

norbac
08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
If he wins, he must do the honorable thing and run a naked lap around Center Court.

MindoverMatter
08-30-2011, 08:41 PM
listen, i love tommy. watching him practically got me into the game, not even joking. he's my favorite pro player, and watching him play and win matches makes me very very happy. but there's no way for him to win the US Open.

Tommy showed a little bit of his old self during his first round match, and he used that to win. but there was just too much of a post-injury 33 year old in the game...

MindoverMatter
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
that being said, he plays his best tennis on hard courts, and the draw is opening up for him. i think there is a good chance for him to get to federer...and with an aging federer? maybe even beat him. from there...who knows

stringertom
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
that being said, he plays his best tennis on hard courts, and the draw is opening up for him. i think there is a good chance for him to get to federer...and with an aging federer? maybe even beat him. from there...who knows

If Fed is "aging" what would you describe someone 3&1/2 years older? I guess you call him Tommy Haas.

MindoverMatter
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
haha, just trying to remain positive i suppose. when aging hits you for the first time it can be a disapointment and can hurt you mentally - i think thats what fed is going through.

from looking at federer's recent matches, i see him putting more and more forced power into his shots - something he never did before. i think its because he's trying to imitate himself at his peak and its just not working. he makes more mistakes, he gets unfocused, and things just dont come together. tommy, on the other hand, has dealt with this for a while. if federer can get over his mental block and realize what he needs to do to win then i think he has a real shot at the title, let alone thinking of tommy haas as a challenge (this is if tommy doesnt do anything to his current game as well)

stoo
08-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Win #2 for Haas today. :)

Gizo
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Haas is the most of the players on the tour I enjoy watching the most with his variety. It's a shame that he couldn't seize his best opportunity to win a slam at the 2002 Australian Open. He really should have beaten Safin in that semi-final.

NadalAgassi
08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Haas is the most of the players on the tour I enjoy watching the most with his variety. It's a shame that he couldn't seize his best opportunity to win a slam at the 2002 Australian Open. He really should have beaten Safin in that semi-final.

He would have had to win that semifinal in straight sets though. Safin as on fire in 4th and 5th sets and the break made Haas's sore shoulder start to stiffen. Losing that 2nd set tiebreak cost him the match.

I knew once he didnt win that one he was never going to win a slam. That was his only real shot at one.

TopFH
08-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Though I think he won't win, it would be nice to see him go to the later rounds.

OrangePower
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM

That's not a limb you're on, it's a twig.

FedExpress 333
08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.shiftybloke.net//gallery/Funny/lolcat/I_LOLed.jpg

stoo
08-31-2011, 05:20 PM
That's not a limb you're on, it's a twig.

A twig it may be, but I gotta hang on to something. I don't know what it is, but I just love watching him play. Although I'm sure many will ague that there are a lot better backhands, I learned how to hit a 1hbh by watching this guy. Anyway, just glad to see him healthy and playing again.

Novak123
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
No, Novak is winning the US Open this year. Haas is a fan favorite, but nobody can deny that massive skill difference.

Bjorn99
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Haas is the second hottest male tennis player of all time. Patrick Rafter being number one by FAR.

Gizo
09-01-2011, 03:21 AM
He would have had to win that semifinal in straight sets though. Safin as on fire in 4th and 5th sets and the break made Haas's sore shoulder start to stiffen. Losing that 2nd set tiebreak cost him the match.

I knew once he didnt win that one he was never going to win a slam. That was his only real shot at one.

Haas was the better player over the first 3 sets, even the 1st set which he lost on a tiebreak. But then the rain delay came, and Safin returned looking like a completely different player. I remember he said himself that he thinks he would have lost had it not been for the rain delay. Players often receive coaching during rain delays, which can make a hug difference. That was Haas's one and only genuine shot to win a slam for sure.

It's amazing that he reached world no. 2, won a masters series title, and reached 4 grand slam semi-finals and 3 more quarter-finals, but never once qualified for the YEC. In 2001 he finished the year ranked as world no. 8. But of course Ivanisevic who was ranked at world no. 12 and had won Wimbledon took his place.

Matt H.
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Haas took the 1st set in that match.

The rain delay is what cost him. Haas was running on fumes from 3 consecutive long matches. (Martin, Federer, and Rios)

Red Ames even said adrenaline was what was getting him thru and that the rain delay killed it. the plan then was to let go of the 4th and try for it in the 5th.

Still tough to say. Safin was "supposed" to destroy Johansson too.

He was actually cruising pretty well against Hewitt in the 2001 US Open, until a rain delay which suspended the match for a day. Up a set and a break in that one.

Though, I really think 2006 Australian Open was a darn good chance for him if he took that 5th set from Federer. Beating Keifer and Baghdatis shouldn't have been a problem for him.

stoo
09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Any predictions against Monaco today? I'm calling Haas in 4.

Breaker
09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I reckon it's Haas vs Ferrero for the semifinal, winner to face Nalby in the final.

Carsomyr
09-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Who is umping the Haas-Monaco match? He's terrible at keeping score.

Tough Gut
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Good call.