PDA

View Full Version : Federer's shockingly awful Olympic performances. What was the reason?

NadalAgassi
08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
When looking over Federer's career what is most surprising of all, is his extremely poor Olympic performances, in singles anyway. In his 2004 defeat to Berdych and his 2008 defeat to Blake he played arguably his 2 worst matches ever, atleast 2 of his worst 5 matches ever (considering he was in his prime or close to it for both).

The 2004 match I think both guys ended it with single digit winners only, pathetic. Also keep in mind while Berdych has lately done well vs old Federer, he was an incredibly easy opponent for prime Federer. They didnt even have another close match in their history until 2009.

The 2008 match with Blake had Federer with 58 unforced errors in only 2 sets. Atrocious. To put it into perspective if they played 5 sets at Federer's same level he would have had 145 unforced errors.

In 2000 he wasnt favored to win a medal, but still a bit surprising even then he would lose the bronze medal match to Arnaud Di Pasquale.

So how does one explain how Federer played so unbelievably poorly at the Olympics. Does he not really care about it as much as he claimed. Was it just random chance. Was it some other explanation.

Agassifan
08-30-2011, 11:04 PM
**** happens

ViscaB
08-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe because there is no price money /joking.

Perhaps it's the pressure and weight of expectations in his home country. 1st because he's considered one of the best ever so his compatriots expect him to win. 2nd because he comes from a country famed for its performances during the winter Olympics with little tradition of success in the summer.

Gizo
08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Maybe Federer was so desperate to win the olympic gold medal or a medal of any colour, and that this desperation translated through to his game, causing him to panic and make silly tactical decisions.

It can happen, look at Roddick in many of his Wimbledon defeats over the years.

Magnus
08-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Interesting point OP, but I think 2004 was just a bad day for Fed, while in 2008 he was really under a lot of pressure to win, and it got the better of him, even against an "easy" opponent such as Blake. Not to mention he also had terrible results between Wimbledon and USO. Fed totally lost it after that Wimbly final, losing early in Toronto and Cincy, losing to Blake at Olympics, and he nearly lost to Andreev at the USO. Ever since that match things got better for him though.

Hitman
08-31-2011, 01:12 AM
I think the 2004 loss was just a bad day in the office. He had already had such a stunning year up until that point, that he was bound to have at least one bad day in the office. It just happened to be against Berdych.

2008, he was poor by his standards throughout most of that year. I didn't really expect him to win anything in 08 with the form he had going into that event. So while the loss to Blake was a bit a shock, it wasn't something that was totally unexpected. It took that battle with Andreev at the US Open to set the picture straight for him.

Bud
08-31-2011, 03:57 AM
Well, at least he has a gold medal.. in doubles :D

- -

I do agree with you though, 3 chances and zero singles medals.. not even a bronze :)

Emet74
08-31-2011, 05:50 AM
When looking over Federer's career what is most surprising of all, is his extremely poor Olympic performances, in singles anyway. In his 2004 defeat to Berdych and his 2008 defeat to Blake he played arguably his 2 worst matches ever, atleast 2 of his worst 5 matches ever (considering he was in his prime or close to it for both).

So how does one explain how Federer played so unbelievably poorly at the Olympics. Does he not really care about it as much as he claimed. Was it just random chance. Was it some other explanation.

I think random chance. In 2000, while you are right that he ended badly, coming in 4th place was actually a good achievement for him at the time as he was ranked I think around 36 and most of his good hard court results to date had been indoors. Remember he'd only just turned 19.

2008 just caught him in the middle of a slump; he'd just lost first / second rounds in Canada/Cincy so confidence not there. Did regroup for doubles tho'.

2004 is the strangest as it was one of his best years and he was a huge favorite. From what I remember he was a little burnt out at that point; he'd made a big effort to win Halle/Wimby/Gstaad/Toronto in a row and complained of exhaustion in Canada. Lost first round in Cincy to Hrbaty which speaks for itself. Should have been able to regroup for Olympics but never got comfortable there. Several top players complained about the courts/balls that they were difficult to control. The whole tournament was topsy-turvy w/ Massu/Fish winning Gold/Silver. Fed struggled in the first round against Davyenko and even got a code violation for hitting a ball out of the stadium. Berdych was totally unknown when Fed played him round 2, so was taken by surprise by his talent and given that Fed was completely off rythm that was enough.

But I wouldn't say he didn't care; Massu said he saw him in the locker room after the loss and it was the most upset he'd ever seen Fed, said sth like "I've never seen him look like that."

(It's also probably irrelevant, but olympics 2004 was the only event he played in 2004 w/out Mirka because girlfriends can't stay in the olympic village. Maybe that change unsettled him a bit too.)

DjokovicForTheWin
08-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Olympics are meaningless for determining greatness of tennis legacy.

glazkovss
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Because he partied too much in the Olympic villages:)
Or can it be the curse of holding the flag at the opening ceremony?

ivan_the_terrible
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
He was avoiding the more stringent drug testing in the Olympics.

TMF
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
2008 happened to be one of his worst year, and Nadal's best year. It's all about being in the right place and the right time since Olympic event occur once in every 4 years. Had the Olympic was in 2006, I'm sure Fed would have won it. Oh well, such is life.

TheGreatestAudia
08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
(I'm surprised there is ever a wrong time for Federer to play Blake. Federer is 10-1 vs Blake on ATP Tour)

(Why are your responses in parentheses?)

billnepill
08-31-2011, 04:22 PM

The 2004 match I think both guys ended it with single digit winners only, pathetic. Also keep in mind while Berdych has lately done well vs old Federer, he was an incredibly easy opponent for prime Federer. They didnt even have another close match in their history until 2009.

The 2008 match with Blake had Federer with 58 unforced errors in only 2 sets. Atrocious. To put it into perspective if they played 5 sets at Federer's same level he would have had 145 unforced errors.

In 2000 he wasnt favored to win a medal, but still a bit surprising even then he would lose the bronze medal match to Arnaud Di Pasquale.

Do you think Olympics are important for tennis greatness?

billnepill
08-31-2011, 04:44 PM
(Why are your responses in parentheses?)

He explained that so many times already!!

It unites, on the one side, the inherent subtleness and non-intrusiveness associated with the parenthesis which symbolizes the "humbleness" of opinion (the outside) with the annoying content and nature of the inside.

A perfect metaphor of his/her hero.

ViscaB
08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Because he partied too much in the Olympic villages:)
Or can it be the curse of holding the flag at the opening ceremony?

Federer does not stay in the Olympic village but rather in some fancy hotel. Maybe that's the issue. He does not have the Olympic spirit.

cc0509
08-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Federer does not stay in the Olympic village but rather in some fancy hotel. Maybe that's the issue. He does not have the Olympic spirit.

Oh yes of course, that must be it! :rolleyes: Who in his right mind would stay in the Olympic Village when he can stay in a luxury hotel? Federer has stayed in the Olympic Village in his youth. He has been there and done that. Why should he stay there now with all of his success if he does not wish to?
Personally if it were me you could not pay me enough to stay in the Olympic Village when I could stay in a private luxury hotel.

ViscaB
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Personally if it were me you could not pay me enough to stay in the Olympic Village when I could stay in a private luxury hotel.

I would always stay in the Olympic village no matter how bad the housing. That unique atmosphere with fellow athletes is what the Olympics are about.

Miso
08-31-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't know but that is his goal for the next year. He really wants an olympic gold medal and that is what he is really gunning for from now till 2012

zagor
09-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know but that is his goal for the next year. He really wants an olympic gold medal and that is what he is really gunning for from now till 2012

That may be what he said his goal was in some interview, I however don't believe that for one second. I'd guess he's playing because he still enjoys the game(and all that comes with it) and wants to increase his slam tally.

Gizo
09-01-2011, 02:57 AM
At least Federer can rest easy knowing that he has an olympic gold medal. Doubles tennis is far more important and significant at the Olympics than it is at the slams. Most tennis fans know that Gonzalez/Massu won gold in Athens, and Federer/Wawrinka did in Beijing. Without looking it up, how many people know who won the US Open doubles titles in those years. Doubles is almost an irrelevant sideshow at the slams nowadays compared to when the likes of McEnroe and Edberg used to take it seriously. The beauty of the olympics however is that all gold medals carry equal weight, regardless of whether they have been achieved in doubles tennis, archery, freestyle swimming etc.

I certainly think that Federer or most players would prefer to win a gold medal in doubles, than a silver or bronze in singles for instance. Before the 2008 tournament, If you gave him the choice of winning the singles bronze medal like one of the other tournament favourites in 2008 Djokovic, or winning gold in doubles with Wawrinka, I think he would have chosen the latter option.

mandy01
09-01-2011, 03:27 AM
I would always stay in the Olympic village no matter how bad the housing. That unique atmosphere with fellow athletes is what the Olympics are about.You guys will look for any opening.LOL. So idiotic. Roger went down to the village ample times (only to get mobbed all the time) in 2008 and has stayed there previously. And in case you forgot, he did win a gold that year.

Gizo
09-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Regarding my last post, I would like to ask people here to imagine if you were players, and think whether you would rather win an Olympic silver or bronze medal in singles, or gold medal in doubles. I would rather win a doubles gold medal for sure, but many people might disagree. It would be interesting to read peoples' opinions on this.

Likewise if I was a track and field athlete, I would probably rather a gold medal in a relay race, than a silver or bronze medal in an individual race.

Emet74
09-01-2011, 04:32 AM

In my post I even mentioned that in 2004 he went w/out Mirka just so he could stay in the village. He stayed in the village in 2000 and again in 2004, 2008 was the first year he opted for a hotel instead.

TheGreatestAudia
09-06-2011, 04:28 AM
(Because I'm good at it and people like it)

<Shrugs>

Ok.

Ben Hadd
09-06-2011, 05:00 AM
My monies on the pressure.

jerriy
09-06-2011, 05:00 AM
Federer's shockingly awful Olympic performances. NadalAgassi's not-so-shockingly hyping of the most irrelevant once-in-four-years-gimmic that only started in 1988.

When looking over Federer's career what is most surprising of all, is his extremely poor Olympic performancesNo, more surprising is Fed tanking some of his early bouts againt Nadal in the wrong assumption that he was tanking to an irrelevant player.

In his 2004 defeat to Berdych and his 2008 defeat to Blake he played arguably his 2 worst matches ever...Not at all.

atleast 2 of his worst 5 matches ever (considering he was in his prime or close to it for both).How many slams (you know? the tournament that actually COUNTS in this sport tennis) do Bird***** and Blake have?

In 2000 he wasnt favored to win a medal, but still a bit surprising even then he would lose the bronze medal match to Arnaud Di Pasquale.LMAO Arnaud who?

So how does one explain how Federer played so unbelievably poorly at the Olympics. Does he not really care about it as much as he claimed. Was it just random chance. Was it some other explanation.Does anybody care? Does even YOU care?

Olympics is a bonus. Nothing less, and absolutely nothing more.