PDA

View Full Version : ProKennex Laver Type C

Richard Pur
04-27-2004, 09:57 AM
I never really gave much thought to trying a ProKennex these days with all the major racquet manufacturers having so many choices, but after reading the specs on the Type C, I may have to give it a try.

I need a players racquet that serves and volleys well, but still is a good all court racquet. Up until now I have stayed away from 18x20 racquets because of the spin thing. For me, stability is probably more important than spin. After all, a good player should be able to generate spin with any racquet, right? I want to try the ROK and now maybe the Type C.

Any feedback from someone who's tried this racquet? And what "mainstream" racquet does it play like? The ROK?

Lambro
04-27-2004, 03:34 PM
I think the Type C is better than the Rok, or Prestige Classic. The Volkl tour 10 mid is another candidate in the Flexible, 18 x 20 camp.

If you can play, you will get spin, so don't worry about that.

I have about 14 grams of lead at 3 & 9 oclock with some right above the grip as well. It weights 12.4 strung before I modded it.

My main racquet is the 85 pro staff, 16 mains, but I love the Type C, and switch around dependig on how I feel.

IT is very flexible so that is the main issue to consider...

brijoel
04-27-2004, 10:59 PM
such a sweet racquet. has good pop, feel and touch on literally every shot. very underated in terms of people considering it. spin is ample if you like to swing on through the ball, i found spin very easy to generate. give it a demo, i promise you will enjoy it if you dont mind small headed racquets.

bcaz
04-27-2004, 11:46 PM
I've demoed it -- it's a very fine stick, superb directional control, excellent volleys, decent serves, not a lot of power off the ground. The closest other racquet to it may be the Prestige Classic 600, although I think the upper hoop on the Head is flexier and the PK Type C plays firmer and heavier. A very overlooked and under-appreciated racquet, and a very good value.

BC

galain
04-28-2004, 05:26 AM
Don't overlook Pro Kennex - I think they are doing a remarkable job of turning out very good product in an understated fashion.

I demoed the Core 1 No.6 last year and thought it the best frame I'd hit with in the past 5 years. I think the 5G is an amazingly good frame too, and though I haven't yet had a chance to get my hands on a Laver C, the buzz surrounding it is really something.

Pro Kennex are doing a fantastic job of giving us a variety of very very good sticks to choose from. I really feel they deserve more support.