PDA

View Full Version : Unfair USO scheduling for Andy Murray

15_ounce
08-31-2011, 04:04 AM
He has to cram 7 matches in 12 days, instead of in 14 days, because of the delayed start of US Open 2011.

Is it really unfair for Andy Murray? Should he get some sort of compensation for it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/30/andy-murray-us-open-2011

US Open 2011: Delayed start leaves Andy Murray on cram course for final

The Scot faces an 'unfair' task of seven games in 12 days while Roger Federer can take a two-day break

Kevin Mitchell at Flushing Meadows
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 30 August 2011 22.00 BST

When Andy Murray beat Novak Djokovic in Cincinnati he said: "I can't wait for the US Open." Well, the US Open, apparently, can wait for Murray and his delayed start to the tournament, against the Indian Somdev Devvarman on Wednesday, could yet derail his chances of winning his first grand slam title.

"Is it fair that one guy has to play seven matches in 14 days and one [has to do it in 12 days]," he said on Sky Sports when the draw was announced. "I don't quite get the logic behind it."

The "one guy" he is referring to is Roger Federer, who played his first match in the cool of Monday evening. And "the logic" behind it is that, while it is tough to juggle 64 matches at the start of a two-week tournament, some players will inevitably be treated better than others.

If Murray were to reach the final, his cycle of matches would have him play Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. Federer's route, having started two days earlier, provides him with a two-day rest at some point before the concluding weekend. He would hope it is later rather than sooner.

The random draw is not supposed to discriminate but the fixture list is very much in the gift of the host broadcaster, CBS, which wants stellar clashes at night and an exciting final weekend.

What CBS gets is both men's semi-finals and the women's final on the Saturday and the men's final on Sunday. That back-to-back finish is a given. But what might look like a merely inconvenient piece of scheduling earlier has consequences when it matters most.

On Monday 24 men's singles matches were played but four from that side of the draw were played on Tuesday, including those of Rafael Nadal, who is on Murray's side of the draw, and Djokovic, who is on Federer's side. On Wednesday all the remaining first-round matches will be played and Murray, the fourth seed, is the most high-profile of the late starters.

Murray has to clear his head and get on with the job of trying to beat Devvarman, then cope with the other challenges of the schedule. They have never met, although Devvarman did play Murray's long-time travelling hitting partner and part-time coach, Dani Vallverdu, so there will be no shortage of pre-match intelligence available.

Devvarman is ranked No64 in the world, 60 places below Murray, and comes to New York with form that falls short of intimidating. He lost in the qualifiers for the Cincinnati Open, which Murray won on a retirement by Djokovic when 6-4, 3-0 up.

Before that Devvarman won one match in Washington, then lost to the unpredictable but dangerous Marcos Baghdatis, undone 6-0 in the second set; in Los Angeles he also went out in the first round, to the young American Ryan Sweeting.

He has a further eight first-round defeats against his name this year. To put Murray out at the first time of asking in a major would constitute a seismic shock.

The draw aside, Murray is in good spirits. "I feel much better than I did about [his form and attitude] maybe at the beginning of the year," he told the BBC, reflecting on that dispiriting brace of defeats on the American hard courts. "I obviously struggled a lot with it after Australia. I'm starting to understand that, rather than looking at these guys and thinking, 'It's such a tough era to be in', I'm relishing the challenge.

"I've always enjoyed playing against [Federer, Nadal and Djokovic]. My goals are to be No1 in the world and to win grand slams. It's such a difficult thing to do but it all adds up all these things will go to making you a better player.

"I lost to Nadal in two tournaments this year and Djokovic in Australia. I'm getting to the later stages very often right now. It's about finding a way to get through those last couple of matches. I've spoken to some people. I'm getting as much help as I can and hopefully I will get there."

It is just that, in getting there, he would rather not have to cram his matches into 12 days while "one guy" gets a break.

Zildite
08-31-2011, 04:15 AM
He still plays every second day except Saturday/Sunday, doesn't sound that bad unless he makes the finals?
Old man Rog needs the break :)

MixieP
08-31-2011, 04:15 AM
It's only fair. The other three top players are crippled, burnt/neurotic and geriatric. It's only Muurya who is in full working order, so he can handle it.

15_ounce
08-31-2011, 04:33 AM
But he needs more free days to rest and play playstation... how can it be fair?

sdont
08-31-2011, 04:48 AM
a digrace, an scandal, a outrage!

MixieP
08-31-2011, 05:05 AM
But he needs more free days to rest and play playstation... how can it be fair?
But Andy is young and fit. He can play tennis in the morning, playstation in the afternoon and tennis again in the evening, if need be. And he sleeps like a baby all through the night. While the rest of the top guys are having massages, counselling and memory training. Andy's fine.

Fedex
08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
If he also has to play most of his matches during the day which he normally does for some reason, and the other top 3 normally play more night matches then that is another disadvantage.
You could also argue, if Murray is good enough, he will finnish off his opponents quickly leaving enough in the tank to compensate for the bad scheduling.
Or, he could be lucky, and have people retire.

batz
08-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Ach, get on with it Andy.

celoft
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Not fair, I agree.:-?

bluetrain4
08-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Seriously, who cares? It happens, and it has happened to most players, whether it's the day, or the particular time. Murray can handle it.

The only way to be totally fair is to have every match occur at the same time every day, and we know that will never happen.

Bryan Swartz
08-31-2011, 07:07 AM
It has to happen to somebody. I.e., some players start on day 1, others not until day 2 or day 3. It isn't precisely fair on an individual instance but you get some and lose some. I don't see a reasonable other option.

DjokovicForTheWin
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow, what a cry baby Murray is, I thought he was above Nadal's level of whining. If he won a few slams, and raised his ranking perhaps he might get a little special treatment too.

illkhiboy
08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Federer and Nadal started on Wednesday in 2006. As someone mentioned, he still only has to every second day like at other Slams until the semis.

El Diablo
08-31-2011, 07:25 AM
That's show biz!! Gives him more time to rest on the front end. If I and my creaky friends can play 7 times in twelve days, a professional athlete in his 20s can do it. Fortunately for him, it's more likely he'll only have to play 5 or 6 times.

The_Question
08-31-2011, 07:29 AM
The bottom line, CBS wants their piece of the pie, and USTA just matched up with CBS schedule. And frankly, CBS' coverage of USO sucks! 6-7 hours for per day this weekend? Really?

And...Dick Enberg needs to retire...

Al Czervik
08-31-2011, 07:31 AM
I think it's stupid to start guys on Wednesday, but with Super Saturday, I see why.

The article fails on one account. It has some nonsense about how CBS wants great night matches and an exciting final weekend. Um, everything CBS does is about getting the top people to play during the day Saturday/Sunday/Monday of Labor Day weekend. Ever notice you never see Fed at night those days?

syc23
08-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Only way Murray can guarantee a more favoured schedule for future USOs is to actually man up 'Delpo style' and wrestle the title from Nadal.

El Diablo
08-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Al
no, I never noticed that. Fed was on Monday night.

kishnabe
08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Murray better just win the tournament instead of complaining....there is nothing they can do about the schedulde now!

Telepatic
08-31-2011, 08:37 AM
He got no top 10 player until semis so shouldn't complain.

rommil
08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Next Tuesday, some men will be playing quarterfinal matches, Murray will still be on second round.

TenTan
08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
The US always ****s things up

cknobman
08-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Murray lost his right to play on Monday/Tuesday when he bet on a Top Spin 4 match and got his @ss handed to him.

Sentinel
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
It's only fair. The other three top players are crippled, burnt/neurotic and geriatric. It's only Muurya who is in full working order, so he can handle it.
Also, I believe that Đoković lost to Federer at FO because of the off-days he got. So actually this favors Muurya. Off-days are bad for top pros, acco to our experts such as jackLOLvile.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't think it's fair either. I hate that business of playing 1st round over 3 days.
USO is the worst slam about scheduling.

Fedex
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't think it's fair either. I hate that business of playing 1st round over 3 days.

When you think about it, it's a bit like giving long distance runners different times to complete the race.
Some tennis players have 14 days to finnish 7 matches, some 13 days and some such as Murray 12 days!
Whose likely to have more energy near the end?
Agree it would be too much to have all matches in a round played on the one day but surely over 2 days woudn't be unreasonable.
You can stomach that but 3 days is just a joke.

celoft
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Super Saturday stinks for the winner of the second SF who rarely wins the final anyway.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes, super Saturday is a huge problem and there's also the issue of matches going on way too late at night.

Mainad
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Saturday stinks for the winner of the second SF who rarely wins the final anyway.

As happened to Murray in 2008. He had to play his semi against Nadal over two days because of bad weather and then had to play the final the very next day.
Federer had enjoyed a nice,two day rest.

Murray loves New York but I don't think the feeling is quite mutual (yet)!

CEvertFan
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
They only modified the "normal" schedule this year because of Hurricane Irene which dumped a whole lot of rain on the National Tennis Center and shut down all public transportation the day before the tourney started.

Murray needs to make lemonade out of those lemons and quit whining.

Moose Malloy
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
They only modified the "normal" schedule this year because of Hurricane Irene which dumped a whole lot of rain on the National Tennis Center and shut down all public transportation the day before the tourney started.

No, USO has always had first round over 3 days(at least as long as I remember)

Old Man Sampras got a wednesday start in '02. And there was a lot of rain on labor day weekend, so he had to play back to back days in the 2nd week of the tournament. ended up winning the title despite all this bad luck. and didn't complain once about starting on wednesday.

Mustard
09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Saturday is still about, I see. It's amazing how they still expect the players to play high quality US Open semi finals and final in consecutive days in this era.

Cormorant
09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Murray lost his right to play on Monday/Tuesday when he bet on a Top Spin 4 match and got his @ss handed to him.

That wager took place outside the jurisdiction of the ITF, an organisation which does not preside over virtual matches in any shape or form.

Moose Malloy
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Saturday is still about, I see. It's amazing how they still expect the players to play high quality US Open semi finals and final in consecutive days in this era.

came across this article recently. from 1985.

Apparently, McEnroe is still seething about the scheduling at the Open that resulted in his playing a grueling semifinal against Mats Wilander on a Saturday and coming back to play Lendl in the final on Sunday. Lendl won, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4.

McEnroe was irked at what he viewed as CBS-TV's dictating the tournament schedule to fit its own scheduling needs.

"It's disgusting what television does," McEnroe said, sitting in a press room that was bathed in television lights.

"It's unbelievable what CBS can do. The idea of a two-week tournament is to give a guy a rest. I don't think it's possible to ask a guy to play a best-of-five-sets match day in and day out. Especially in the heat.

"I would be willing to take less money to see the sport become pure. I feel cheated. It cheats the fans and it cheats the public. People would have seen a match to be remembered."

It's clear that McEnroe won't soon forget. Nor will his body. He said he was stiff and sore after the physically and emotionally draining five-set win over Wilander in New York's wilting heat and humidity. Then, for the final, McEnroe faced Lendl, who'd had a much easier semifinal against Jimmy Connors.

Again, the fault of scheduling.

"The same thing happened to me the year before," McEnroe said. "Lendl was tired from his match the day before. He was stiff. I saw him in the locker room before the match and he was stiff.

"I took a few days off (after the Open). I was very sore. It's difficult to come back after something like that. There's not a whole lot I can do about it but get over it."

funny that Mac now works for CBS. but at least he has no problem criticizing the schedule on air. tony trabert never would, when another commentator would say, "playing sf & finals back to back is tough for the players, huh?" trabert would than say something like, "with the money they're getting, they shouldn't complain"

zagor
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
This might be just what Murray needs, perhaps it will make him play more agressively to preserve energy. He did crush some FHs against Somdeev so who knows.

Mustard
09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
came across this article recently. from 1985.

funny that Mac now works for CBS. but at least he has no problem criticizing the schedule on air. tony trabert never would, when another commentator would say, "playing sf & finals back to back is tough for the players, huh?" trabert would than say something like, "with the money they're getting, they shouldn't complain"

Thanks for the article.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Federer and Nadal started on Wednesday in 2006. As someone mentioned, he still only has to every second day like at other Slams until the semis.

Agreed. When you don't have a slam, why should the tournament organizers give a ***** about you?

No-one in particular wants to watch Murray matches and he won't provide the tourney organizers with the 'stellar matches' they want so it's only fair that he gets unfavorable scheduling.

Once you move up in the world like Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have, than you start to command a modicum of respect. Until then, I doubt people would care if Murray were scheduled to play all 7 of his matches on Sunday.

MixieP
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Also, I believe that Đoković lost to Federer at FO because of the off-days he got. So actually this favors Muurya. Off-days are bad for top pros, acco to our experts such as jackLOLvile.
Indeed, I mean, that's so true and the only reason Nole's streak was broken.

What really worries me about Muurya and his USO campaign is the horrid possibility of rain delays. It could knock Andy completely off kilter.

Murrayfan31
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
This tournament is a joke. Stupid Saturday as well as unfair Wednesday start. It's all about tickets and money. Nadal's side should've started first due to Nadal winning it last year anyways.

HiroProtagonist
09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
This tournament is a joke. Stupid Saturday as well as unfair Wednesday start. It's all about tickets and money. Nadal's side should've started first due to Nadal winning it last year anyways.

Uhh.....what in this world, that has anything to do with human beings, isn't about money?

ViscaB
09-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Federer has had the advantage of playing first in so many Grand Slams. Still Nadal was often the one beating him in a final despite all this.

Fedex
09-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Federer has had the advantage of playing first in so many Grand Slams. Still Nadal was often the one beating him in a final despite all this.

I'm sure Federer has also won a few slams with unfavourable scheduling and tough draws.

15_ounce
09-02-2011, 03:02 AM
This might be just what Murray needs, perhaps it will make him play more agressively to preserve energy. He did crush some FHs against Somdeev so who knows.

Sounds like a good point. If Murray can shorten a lot of his points that would give him more time to rest. Yeah I think it could make him to be more agressive.

Murrayfan31
09-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm sure Federer has also won a few slams with unfavourable scheduling and tough draws.
Nope. Federer has been catered to in every slam for like 5 years now. He is not number 1 or reigning champion anymore and yet is still treated the same way. Pathetic.

cknobman
09-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Nope. Federer has been catered to in every slam for like 5 years now. He is not number 1 or reigning champion anymore and yet is still treated the same way. Pathetic.

The only thing that is pathetic is your stupidity and **** post.

illkhiboy
09-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Agreed. When you don't have a slam, why should the tournament organizers give a ***** about you?

No-one in particular wants to watch Murray matches and he won't provide the tourney organizers with the 'stellar matches' they want so it's only fair that he gets unfavorable scheduling.

Once you move up in the world like Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have, than you start to command a modicum of respect. Until then, I doubt people would care if Murray were scheduled to play all 7 of his matches on Sunday.

I don't agree with you.

Fact of the matter is, Nadal and Murray played their second rounds on Friday. So unless Murray had a tough first round, the extra day off for Nadal doesn't make it worse for Murray. So I think this is a moot point. I can't believe we are still debating this.

nethawkwenatchee
09-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Are you kidding? Murray is one of the funnest players to watch. He uses variety and artistry at the highest level. Did you happen to catch that two sets to love comeback yesterday? Murray attracts huge crowds and TV ratings for every match :)