PDA

View Full Version : Safin Retuns!

luishcorreia
08-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Well he's returning to the Campions Tour! :)

Former World No.1 Marat Safin is to play in his first ATP Champions Tour event after signing up to compete in Chengdu, China, 27-30 October.
Safin, who burst onto the scene in 2000 when he thrashed Pete Sampras in the US Open final, will come face-to-face with Sampras again in Chengdu. They join the top three players in the South African Airways Rankings - Mark Philippoussis, Carlos Moya and Thomas Enqvist, with Paradorn Srichaphan, Wayne Ferreira and Younes El Aynaoui completing the line-up.

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/news172.html

Its one of my favorite players of all time. Glad to be seeing him in action, even if it his ion the champions tour...and he's only 31...

SirGounder
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah it'll be sweet to see him on the court again. He'll be quite a handful for everybody.

CDestroyer
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I like Safin but wtf is he doing on the champions tour. What a loser. Stepanek is playing the best tennis of his career at 32 in the ATP. Agassi played on the ATP tour until he was 35 or 36. Its totally pathetic.

Boricua
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Well he's returning to the Campions Tour! :)

Former World No.1 Marat Safin is to play in his first ATP Champions Tour event after signing up to compete in Chengdu, China, 27-30 October.
Safin, who burst onto the scene in 2000 when he thrashed Pete Sampras in the US Open final, will come face-to-face with Sampras again in Chengdu. They join the top three players in the South African Airways Rankings - Mark Philippoussis, Carlos Moya and Thomas Enqvist, with Paradorn Srichaphan, Wayne Ferreira and Younes El Aynaoui completing the line-up.

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/news172.html

Its one of my favorite players of all time. Glad to be seeing him in action, even if it his ion the champions tour...and he's only 31...

At 31 he is only a year older than Federer. Why wouldnt he play in the ATP and instead play in the seniors tour? Less demanding maybe?

I think pro tennis players could play at least until 35 in the ATP.

SirGounder
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Playing on the ATP is quite a grind and he probably doesn't want to back to that. If he really wanted to do it he probably wouldn't have retired in the 1st place.

The champions tour allows him to play competitively at a pretty high level but without making a huge commitment.

Boricua
08-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Playing on the ATP is quite a grind and he probably doesn't want to back to that. If he really wanted to do it he probably wouldn't have retired in the 1st place.

The champions tour allows him to play competitively at a pretty high level but without making a huge commitment.

Yes. maybe all the traveling, no rest between tournaments, its quite hard. He could still play competitively in the ATP and get some wild card entries if he wanted.

Power Player
08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
I like Safin but wtf is he doing on the champions tour. What a loser. Stepanek is playing the best tennis of his career at 32 in the ATP. Agassi played on the ATP tour until he was 35 or 36. Its totally pathetic.

I think it's because you have to do a certain amount of tournies etc and Safin is Livin' La Vida Loca...he has no time for that.

http://p1.img.cctvpic.com/20091112/images/1258011074873_1258011074873_r.jpg

Devilito
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I think it's because you have to do a certain amount of tournies etc and Safin is Livin' La Vida Loca...he has no time for that.

that doesn't stop Serena from pretty much skipping every tournament but the Slams without any consequence