PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me or is Adidas A Lot More Affordable Than Nike?

counterpuncher64
08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi guys, this is sort of a pointless question but I was wondering if I was the only one who has noticed that adidas has become a lot more affordable than Nike these days and has changed it's brand image to be more flashy than it used to be? I used to be a huge nike head (I used to live in Oregon and EVERYONE wears Nike there), but lately, Adidas has been stepping it up in terms of appearance (that was the big reason why I used to hate them, very boring/conservative designs) and is much more expensive. Earlier, I used to think that Nike + Adidas were roughly the same price, but nowadays, it seems like Nike has a price premium to Adidas, which makes me question my value for dollar when I buy Nike.

I was just wondering if I was the only one who noticed this or if this has been going on for a while and I'm just late to the party

Posture Guy
08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I've noticed this, too.

but here's my complaint with adidas, kind of the opposite of your old one: they've gone too far in the opposite direction. Now all their stuff is weird colors and designs. For this year, apparently lime green is in and if you don't like it, well, too bad. And I hate lime green.

I really like their 3-stripe designs, and I like my tennis gear basic. Honestly, I'd love to get simple black shorts with the 3 stripes and a simple climacool white or black tee. Can't find that combo here at TW.

and I'd like to get one of their classic warmups. 3 stripes on black pants, 3 stripes on a white jacket. Simple. Can't get that, either.

TopFH
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, I always like both their designs. Even though Adidas is a bit cheaper, I always buy on sale.

mathieu
08-31-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm just late to the party

Yep, nike is for people who want to waste money on tennis clothes.

Mighty Matteo
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
for shoes, nike has more frequent and greater sales, while adidas has a lower starting price.
adidas has much more affordable clothing ,however.

anhuynh16
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Nike is a lot better quality

jmjmkim
08-31-2011, 09:35 PM
I like addidas.

TopFH
08-31-2011, 10:12 PM

They have equal quality.

frunk
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Adidas used to use really rough fabrics, while Nike uses the GBOAT 88% Polyester, 12% Spandex on their higher-end shirts. Their entry level shirts, on the other hand, suck.

That being said, Adidas' new Adizero line has a MUCH softer feeling, similar to Nike.

Andreas1965
08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Here in Germany adidas gear can be found more often on the clearance hanger. That's the main reason why I consider myself being an adidas- guy.
Also I like their designs much more and adidas fits me better than Nike. E.g. The shorts: adidas = perfect, Nike: slipping.
Shirts: adidas size "M" = great, Nike: too long, like a woman's dress ;-)
I guess when you're not tall and skinny but about 180 cm at 80 kg, Nike isn't for you.

adventure
08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
I love adidas apparel.

With Nike, you're paying for Sharapova and Lebron's endorsement contracts, not for the actual merch. itself.

Irony Zealot
09-01-2011, 12:12 AM
adidas stuff is cool, just not the tennis stuff. It's as if someone at adidas said, "Let's make oddly colored clothes for tennis and keep all the more conservative designs for all other sports."

adventure, have you taken a look at the women's side of adidas? It can be ridiculously priced as well. Let's not forget the ladies/the big picture here.

Darko
09-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Nothing beats the way a Nike shoe feels after break in.

The_Question
09-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Yep, that is true. One certainly won't find a $80 polyester polo or a $75 polyester crew from Adidas.

I think I have bought more Adidas apparel than Nike this year, and the fittings are much better than before! It's no longer 1 size too big.

chay337
09-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice does seem to be better. Not sure about "lot" but it is better.

rovex
09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Here in Germany adidas gear can be found more often on the clearance hanger. That's the main reason why I consider myself being an adidas- guy.
Also I like their designs much more and adidas fits me better than Nike. E.g. The shorts: adidas = perfect, Nike: slipping.
Shirts: adidas size "M" = great, Nike: too long, like a woman's dress ;-)
I guess when you're not tall and skinny but about 180 cm at 80 kg, Nike isn't for you.

Adidas should sponsor Haas - They have just one German player at the top of the men's game!

I know Haas is a Niketard but he recently wore verdasco's wimbledon crew just a few days ago. He has no sponsor, go get em' Adidas!

sadowsk2
09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I think Nike stuff is cheap garbage.. Plus they don't fit me as well as the Adidas stuff does... Even though I'm not always thrilled with the bizarre patterns, the Adizero line really performs well at move sweat away and evaporating quickly so the material doesnt get water logged... I find all the Nike stuff, and Addidas Barricade stuff holds the moisture and gets drenched and heavy....

max pl
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
ive found nike's dry-fit tee's to be very comfortable with a good fit.
their shorts on the other hand, not nearly as comfortable as the adidas shorts i wear.

all in all, the two brands are of comparable quality, but nike definitely charges a bit more for their gear.

Posture Guy
09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
how do you all think the tees from these companies compare to the basic underarmour short sleeve tees? I have a number of those and like them a lot. Comfortable, fit well, great in hot weather and their basic short sleeve tee is like $20.

counterpuncher64
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Really? I've had the opposite experience. I feel that for shoes Adidas is MUCH more durable than Nike and for clothes they are the same. Nike just has nicer designs usually

Down_the_line
09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I think Adidas is a bit cheaper than Nike, but I find a lot more Nike stuff on sale.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I stick with Adidas for everything (shoes, socks, clothing).

eidolonshinobi
09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I love the Adidas gear, I switched over from Nike when I realized that I could get the similar or better quality products for cheaper with Adidas.

Though, I have a pro-rep friend with K-swiss and he's given me a few pieces of tennis gear and they're great as well!

anhuynh16
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I love the Adidas gear, I switched over from Nike when I realized that I could get the similar or better quality products for cheaper with Adidas.

Though, I have a pro-rep friend with K-swiss and he's given me a few pieces of tennis gear and they're great as well!

hey man - did you get my email?

Gasolina
09-02-2011, 08:28 AM
NIke and Adidas has comparable quality
Might be true.. like an $80 Fed polo is comparable to a $55 Barricade/Adizero polo.

Try and find a $55 polo in Nike and compare it to adidas, and you get your real results

jwbarrientos
09-04-2011, 05:19 AM
I've noticed this, too.

but here's my complaint with adidas, kind of the opposite of your old one: they've gone too far in the opposite direction. Now all their stuff is weird colors and designs. For this year, apparently lime green is in and if you don't like it, well, too bad. And I hate lime green.

I really like their 3-stripe designs, and I like my tennis gear basic. Honestly, I'd love to get simple black shorts with the 3 stripes and a simple climacool white or black tee. Can't find that combo here at TW.

and I'd like to get one of their classic warmups. 3 stripes on black pants, 3 stripes on a white jacket. Simple. Can't get that, either.

Add me to your club, Adidas design is going far away from my taste

Praetorian
09-05-2011, 10:27 AM
They are both ridiculously overpriced. These are shirts that probably cost no more than a buck to make in some 3rd world sweat shop. The only thing you are paying for is brand name.

Jfolks259
09-05-2011, 12:46 PM
They are both ridiculously overpriced. These are shirts that probably cost no more than a buck to make in some 3rd world sweat shop. The only thing you are paying for is brand name.

everything is ridiculously overpriced... it's called capitalism

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I agree it's all overpriced, but the relevant question is which is relatively more affordable for what you get.

I like the basic Underarmour tees (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/sports/pid1000382-Men-s-UA-Tech-Shortsleeve-T/1000382-090). They're $19.99 and unless you're trying to make some kind of fashion statement, they're all the shirt you need to play tennis in hot weather. They keep you cool as well as any other shirt I've tried, they do a great job of wicking moisture, they fit well and they allow full freedom of movement. I refuse to pay $45 for a tee shirt when I can get these for $20.

Adidas_Anderson
09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
To be honest , now nike? most of the reason is Rafa and Roger.
or else they wont make the sells, they suck money thats all.
I think Designs on Nike are not bad,but dont bloody cost that kind of price.
Always Adidas,cheap , Hight Quality, good designs
Three Strips Rocks ;)

Posture Guy
09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I like Adidas, have since I was a kid (am 50 now), but even their stuff is too expensive. They'll have tees for $40-$45, which is just absurd.