PDA

View Full Version : WTA : USO 2011 - Worst Slam in the recent past

tennisaddict
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Can we give the cup to Serena already ?

While i hate Serena's on and off court antics (threatening line judge, fake modesty, jumping for the umpire handshake , never giving credit to players who were her equals) , I have come to truly appreciate the gulf of difference in talents between the current crop of WTA and Serena.

It is painful to watch the likes of pushers and ball bashers - Wozniacki, Sharapova, Aga, Jankovic , Azarenka. Players who are good to watch like Kuzzy, Schiavone, Kvitova are not consistent. Absence of Clijsters is really hurting.

If for some strange reason Serena loses on a freak day, this would be a disaster for the organizers / tv ratings.

For the first time, I truly wish Serena to win the slam.

Serena haters and lovers , please chime in.

Bryan Swartz
08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm neither a Serena hater or lover, but for pete's sake different people like different styles.

'Pushers'/'Ball bashers' are not necessarily bad tennis, they are just a different style than you prefer.

bluescreen
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I think most of the hate for the WTA doesn't stem from playing styles or "deepness" of the field, but rather a lack of personalities and characters. Professional tennis, aside from sport, is entertainment. And the ATP is full of entertainers and bankable personalities - Monfils, Djokovic, Federer, etc. The WTA lacks this same entertainment factor.

On the WTA, we have Schiavone, Petkovic, and Serena (for better or worse). If the WTA wants to really improve, it may need entertaining players more than it needs "talented" players.

OrangePower
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm neither a Serena hater or lover, but for pete's sake different people like different styles.

'Pushers'/'Ball bashers' are not necessarily bad tennis, they are just a different style than you prefer.

I can appreciate different styles, but the problem with the WTA these days is that there are no consistently good performers:

You have Woz, who plays a lot and does well at the less important events, but cannot be counted on to do well in slams.

You have the slam winners - Kvitova, Schiavone, Li - who are up one day and down the next.

You have the players like Sharapova, Jankovic, Azarenka who generally can be counted on to have a few wins, but not go all the way.

And then you have the part-timers like Serena and Clijsters, who have more talent and ability than the others, but only play a handful of tournaments a year.

Clarky21
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't like women's tennis much,but it has been pretty bad this year. It's like with the men's side,though. The winner is practically already predetermined so just hand Djokovic and Serena their trophys and be done with it.

tennisaddict
09-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Is there anyone still left in the draw who can at least be competitive with Serena ?

Devilito
09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Can we give the cup to Serena already ?

please do so we can forgo the rest of the women's event. Thanks

celoft
09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Serena is winning this, no doubt. Slam #14 coming.

Roy125
09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm still wanting to see a Serena/Wozniacki match-up. The rest of the matches from the WTA US Open, I don't care much about.