PDA

View Full Version : lol @ Roddick "Commentating is the easiest job ever"

wy2sl0
08-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Anyone else see him ripping them with Fowler after he brought up how passive Andy plays? (not directly, but thats what he meant and thats how Andy understood it)

Mustard
08-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Where's Brad Gilbert to talk (:razz:) some sense into Roddick :)

musicalmedic81
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Yep I saw that, Andy was obviously annoyed with them but pulled it off in a tongue in cheek kinda way, but it was definitely an awkward and kind of tense exchange between him and Fowler. I can understand his frustration, but I can also understand why the analysts say what they say during the match, because its what everybody watching at home is saying too. But the reality of the situation is that Andy is the one on the court sweating it out while the analysts are watching from comfortable chairs in air conditioned booths Andy definitely wasnt feeling confident out there to go for big shots. He took a couple of big cuts on both the FH and BH during the match and netted most of them, missing wildly with the others. So he was doing the best he could to try and get through the match.

tennisaddict
08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Chris Fowler was ambushed by Roddick.
Roddick said as much as 'Anyone could come and be a TV analyst and talk crap all day'.

RCizzle65
08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
I guess I can see where he's coming from, but Roddick isn't exactly winning slams left and right. If he isn't always winning, there's obviously something he could improve on. Unless he just flat out admits that everyone else that beats him is flat out better than him and he can never beat them, he doesn't have much of an argument for him.

OddJack
08-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Anyone else see him ripping them with Fowler after he brought up how passive Andy plays? (not directly, but thats what he meant and thats how Andy understood it)

when and where did he say that? can you post the compltete conv?

teamusa
08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Funny, yet cynical, and completely awkward when Roddick mentioned their lack of intelligence.

Tennis_Monk
08-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Roddick said as much as 'Anyone could come and be a TV analyst and talk crap all day'.

And he is right about it too.

HiroProtagonist
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
More classless Roddick, reacting to insecurity with childlike anger. Would have been fine if he made a joke and let it go, but wouldn't let Fowler move on and got increasingly hostile, still acts like a spoiled teenager. I had to change the channel.

BobFL
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Fowler is a major tool. Yesterday he said something like: It is basically impossible to take a nap in economy class (they were talking about some player who traveled in economy class)......so I was told?! I mean, how stupid and unnecessary is that?

MichaelNadal
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
It was so not that bad guys.

OddJack
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok, here it is:

"Tennis analyst is the easiest job in the world because whatever the person does, if it works you just say that's what's good, and if it doesn't work, you guys go, "He should have done the other things." So, you know, I'm pretty convinced that I could be a tennis analyst one day...it just doesn't take much thought...if I'm grinding and I'm winning, you guys are like, "He's reinvented himself." If I'm playing like crap and pushing, then, you know, "He's horrible and he needs to hit the ball." Everyone's an expert but I'm better than most of them, I believe."

I agree with Andy. We like to listen to those analysts and get entertained at times. But that's what they do, it's just not possible to do it any other way. At least I havnt seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEFARVhg4Q&feature=player_embedded

Bad voice, hardly audible.

Haha... Fowler is the guy who picks on others, now he is like he is hunching and wants to disappear

Sentinel
08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
That's Andy "anyone could come out and win a slam" Roddick for you ;)

split-step
08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not a Roddick fan (see my sig) but he is SPOT ON about Chris Fowler in particular and a lot of other commentators.

Did Chris Fowler even play tennis professionally? The guy acts like he is so knowledgeable about technique and the men's game. He is no Darren Cahill.

I love that Andy did that. Love it!

Tennis_Monk
08-31-2011, 08:09 PM
More classless Roddick, reacting to insecurity with childlike anger. Would have been fine if he made a joke and let it go, but wouldn't let Fowler move on and got increasingly hostile, still acts like a spoiled teenager. I had to change the channel.

I am with Roddick on this one topic.

I didnt see any insecurity of child like anger. Andy basically gave it to Fowler. If Fowler cant take it, then he shouldnt poke holes at Andy.

All said and done, Andy can do a decent commentary job atleast around Chris Fowler's range. Chris Fowler cant even come close to Andy in terms of how to play the game or what happens in locker room or what it is to stay on other side of the net of Roger/Rafa/novak/etc.

OddJack
08-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Good for him.

Tell it like is in your head, specially if you are your own boss,
the camera has no mercy on anybody, every move those athletes make these guys take under microscope, its only fair to get called on like this once in a while.

rromeo
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm not a Roddick fan (see my sig) but he is SPOT ON about Chris Fowler in particular and a lot of other commentators.

Did Chris Fowler even play tennis professionally? The guy acts like he is so knowledgeable about technique and the men's game. He is no Darren Cahill.

I love that Andy did that. Love it!

Apparently, Fowler loved it too!!

from his twitter right after the interview:

"LOVED @andyroddick fiestiness in post-win sit-down. "tennis analyst easiest job in the world." "Listen to what u guys say, do opposite."

"And it is only fair that if our analysts question and criticize tactics, to let player use the forum for his rebuttal. Wish it happened more"

RoddickAce
08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Roddick was trying to make generic, "I'm trying to find myself", "I'm happy with the win", etc., comments. Chris Fowler kept trying to provoke Roddick to talk about changing his game, and it was not until Fowler blatantly talked about how everyone wants him to change his game that Roddick got mad.

Clay lover
08-31-2011, 08:36 PM
I hink what is meant by Roddick is that "it is easy for you to say things about me when you're not the one on court", I personally dislike people who go on and on about others without a full understanding of their situation as well.

Roddick may be struggling but maybe he really can't help it. Just ask James Blake.

rromeo
08-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Roddick was trying to make generic, "I'm trying to find myself", "I'm happy with the win", etc., comments. Chris Fowler kept trying to provoke Roddick to talk about changing his game, and it was not until Fowler blatantly talked about how everyone wants him to change his game that Roddick got mad.

So why DOES he play like Wozniacki these days?? He used to be far more aggressive. It seems to me ever since he hired Stefanki & lost some wt he became more defensive which he will never be good at bcs he's just too slow. But maybe everybody knows that but him. Frustrating to watch.

LuvTheGame
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM

Hooray Roddick! About time someone put that scarcastic Chris Fowler in his place. Roddick called him out, because Fowler knows nothing about tennis. Only how to read the teleprompter.:evil:

Annoyingly he talks non-stop. Then he talks all over the analysts when the former tennis players attempt to give us play-by-play. Always brings the negative and snide remarks. (Like laughing about the young Russian who played Serena Tuesday night, the fact that she had to fly coach, what the f---?) Plus I think he brings the quality down for those who are assigned to work alongside him.

The only people who don't go along with his BS are Darren Cahill and Brad Gilbert. Darren makes THE BEST anchor. Gilbert remains silent when the scarcastic attacks start. And Darren takes the highroad.

Who needs Fowler, ESPN go promote him somewhere else. Better assignment for him - the pig calling major tournament! He Stinks!

TopFH
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
I hink what is meant by Roddick is that "it is easy for you to say things about me when you're not the one on court", I personally dislike people who go on and on about others without a full understanding of their situation as well.

Roddick may be struggling but maybe he really can't help it. Just ask James Blake.

Exactly. I hate when people tell me that I should do this, do that. However, we all are accused of saying this to anyone else when we don't like what we see.

Stevo Karlovic
08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Roddick keeps sinking lower and lower. I honestly believe he may be trying to sabotage his own image so he can rise from the depths and be victorious once again a la Agassi. Problem is, he is such a mundane character that he can maintain no subtlety in acting out this scheme. He is a d-bag. Period.

Aldi Patron
08-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Roddick took some shots at the commentators, but it seems pretty clear that he's become frustrated with his lack of identity. Anyone can see it, but I doubt Roddick would want to be called out on it five minutes after a win.

I get the sense that U.S. tennis players currently on the tour aren't really keen on talking to some of the retired players who are now analysts and commentators, and that's where Roddick may have been directing some of his resentment. Perhaps hearing that U.S. tennis is dead from them every day has something to do with it.

Also, Chris Fowler is an everyday analyst. He's neutral, and like Mike Tirico, he's a glue that keeps the broadcasts running smoothly. They're fantastic at segues and keeping the show moving. Take them away and watch the former players fall apart.

Spin Doctor
08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
I agree with Roddick's points but he comes across like such a d!ck! He could have addressed the question (i.e. his passive play) in a non-hostile way and still have made a point about the role of commentators. Instead he just lashes out like a child. He is way too thin-skinned. If you don't like being publicly criticized then go find another line of work. Commentators and analysts have a job to do and that includes constructive criticism of players. (Although I definitely agree with him that they tend to craft storylines depending on whether players are winning or losing.)

Roddick is just an a-hole. And unlike Conners, McEnroe et al, he is not an entertaining a-hole.

Clay lover
08-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Speakng about his attitude, I never really liked it. On court he often acts like a spoiled brat and off court he tries too hard to be funny.

When I think about him I alwasy think about guys like Safin and Gulbis, who are the opposite. They have a temper on court but they are only mad at themselves. Off court they talk in a laid back, genuine but humorous way.

LuvTheGame
08-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Roddick took some shots at the commentators, but it seems pretty clear that he's become frustrated with his lack of identity. Anyone can see it, but I doubt Roddick would want to be called out on it five minutes after a win.

I get the sense that U.S. tennis players currently on the tour aren't really keen on talking to some of the retired players who are now analysts and commentators, and that's where Roddick may have been directing some of his resentment. Perhaps hearing that U.S. tennis is dead from them every day has something to do with it.

Also, Chris Fowler is an everyday analyst. He's neutral, and like Mike Tirico, he's a glue that keeps the broadcasts running smoothly. They're fantastic at segues and keeping the show moving. Take them away and watch the former players fall apart.

Fowler is a pompous piece of work and Tirico needs to stay with golf!

HiroProtagonist
08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
It's the commentators job to give their opinions about the players and their tactics, it's part and parcel with the sport. It is part of being a pro athlete in any sport, and if you are going to pay attention at all (which idk why one would) to what the commentators say one shouldn't take it personally or without proper perspective.

In the case of Chris Fowler he is just parroting what he hears from the former players that he works with, it's not like he is the one coming up with the criticisms.

Roddick is clearly insecure in his game and probably his career atm and he's letting the media :shock: get to him, it's weakness and a lack of self control.

Baxter
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Fowler is a pompous piece of work and Tirico needs to stay with golf!

Trautwig is even worse.

big ted
08-31-2011, 10:12 PM
i think roddick is talking about the tennis warehouse posters too in addition to the tv analysts, who tell him to hit bigger

zagor
08-31-2011, 11:29 PM
LOL, you gotta love Roddick. Honestly I'm glad to see someone finally took a shot at some of those talking heads.

SweetH2O
09-01-2011, 02:54 AM
So people get mad when players give standard, boring answers to every question. And they get mad when a player shows some personality with their answers.

Tennis needs more personalities. But we have to be willing to take the personalities that we like with those that we don't.

bjorn23
09-01-2011, 05:08 AM
I think sock will take him out if rod dick keeps hitting those looping sitters.

markwillplay
09-01-2011, 05:19 AM
I guess my take is differnt from some. Roddick is a Pro. Fowler is a journalist. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Fowler asking Roddick about retirement, losing more, the way he plays, and all other things that are just evident. On a good day, Roddick is really honest and a straight shooter...on most days, he is a defensive, sarcasticjerk to interviewers, same as he is to refs. Like he is talking down to them. What the hell does he think Fowler is going to ask him about? I get sick of the comentators just blowing smoke up the skirts of all the more famous pros and only being positive. I like the fact that Fowler is asking questions that are "real" and that most people who know tennis are wanting to hear the answers to. I mean, if I were interviewing him, I would certainly ask him about how he feels about not being ranked in the top 10 and how he plans to get back to that level, if he plans to, whatever....that is a real question and worthy of an answer...part of the gig bro, if you don't want to talk about your "tennis life" then just don't do interviews. I am an american and I will not root for Roddick to win any match I see him in...no matter how much money he gives to charities or whatever, the guy is a defensive, hawdy, jerk. Always has been, and he comes off that way most of the time...it his nature (at least on TV and on the court).

Fish is a breath of fresh air...dude is honest and direct and I have yet to hear him be condescending in an interview...even when he loses. He does not talk "down" to people. Roddick comes off like he has no respect for Journalists or analists...I see no evidence of anything to indicate otherwise. He is like a child who can't take criticizm.

Yes I am dyslexic and can't spell and don't have the spell check feature so relax.

Soianka
09-01-2011, 05:53 AM
That interview was painful to watch.

It's just so hard to watch Roddick talk down to people like that.

I remember him berating a lineswoman once and although the words used were not foul, it was much worse IMO than when some of the other players have cursed the officials.

He just has such an arrogance and attitude of thinking he is better and more important than the lowly peons he encounters.

cknobman
09-01-2011, 06:06 AM
A. Fowler is a tactless idiot who talks out of his @ss 99% of the time who barely even knows the game of tennis and should honestly keep his mouth shut most of the time.

B. Fowler was right about Roddicks game.

C. Roddick is a total d'bag who acts like a self entitled crybaby and really does need to change his game. Everyone in the entire world can see whats wrong with his game but HIM!

D. Its hard to respect a player like Roddick who shows such disrespect for linesman, ball boys/girls, chair umpires, and even fans.

mike84
09-01-2011, 06:07 AM
typical arrogant andy if i was fowler

i would have said well atleast Andy I have hair and don't wear cap 24/7

the way he worded it he was not only taking shot at fowler but also john and patrick

McEnroe grand slams >>>> Roddick's fluke one grand slam

pringles
09-01-2011, 06:25 AM
typical arrogant andy if i was fowler

i would have said well atleast Andy I have hair and don't wear cap 24/7

the way he worded it he was not only taking shot at fowler but also john and patrick

McEnroe grand slams >>>> Roddick's fluke one grand slam

I wanna see McEnroe challenge prime Federer in slams.

Clay lover
09-01-2011, 06:38 AM
(But why should a tennis player not be critical of a commentator? Commentators critique players [and point out their mistakes, not just technical mistakes, but behavioral mistakes - and that is rather offensive when taken on face-value] all the time.

And again I raise the point that just because someone thinks Roddick SHOULD attack more..... it doesn't mean Roddick CAN attack more. Roddick may have tried everything to become a more attacking player, but he simply cannot execute it. Maybe the aggressive movements reduce his energy-level and are unsustainable [he is no spring-chicken].

Or maybe [and I think this reason is more likely] psychologically Roddick cannot commit to playing the aggressive shots with enough conviction, so they result in error [and are therefore not a good idea].

The commentators are very VERY stupid if they think Roddick hasn't tried to be more aggressive. Not everything is as simple as ticking a box)

So true, if you think you have the righ tto do it to others others can do it to you as well.

zagor
09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Damn, what's wrong with me? I completely agree with }{[(Bullz1lla)}]) on this one.

ttbrowne
09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

First off, Andy doesn't know the difference between Anchor & Analyst. Fowler is considered an Anchor. Secondly, If you don't want to be analyzed by TV people? Which you're going to be on every televised match, then quit playing. Because they're damned sure not going to quit doing it.

tangerine
09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
What a surprise! Roddick is right (again). I love that he gives real, honest answers to questions and doesn't try to dance around issues being all P.C. and fake, you know, like Federer does. :p

Fowler loved Andy's answer, btw, it must have been a breath of fresh air for him to get a sincere response from a tennis player for once.

cbfowler LOVED @andyroddick fiestiness in post-win sit-down. "tennis analyst easiest job in the world." "Listen to what u guys say, do opposite."

cbfowler And it is only fair that if our analysts question and criticize tactics, to let player use the forum for his rebuttal. Wish it happened more

cbfowler @richarddeitsch I wasn't uncomfortable at all, RD. Knew Andy would take the opening I gave. Ignored a "throw to Break!" to ask last question

cbfowler @MTAN151 lots of athletes and coaches share that view. That's OK. My job is to be fair and do what I can to make it compelling.

cbfowler @moniquesourdif no, I do not realize that. Bias against Andy? You're joking, no?

cbfowler @alexduff1 nah, I wasn't speechless. Figured he'd take the opening and he did. Wish we'd had more time.

cbfowler @FergieFiTTeD funny, I hardly feel " destroyed!" I wasn't surprised AR took opening I gave. My job to make it compelling. Done.

cbfowler @potatomaster I think u missed Andy's point, friend. It's the analysts he has an issue with, John in particular. J Mac can take it.

VIDEO - Andy Roddick Lashes Out Against Tennis Analysts In Post-Match Interview (http://www.sportsgrid.com/tennis/andy-roddick-lashes-out-against-tennis-analysts-in-post-match-interview/)

achokshi99
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Andy is obviously ubber sensitive right now. He is done as a player though, if this is how he intends to play he's going to bounce out of the top 30 soon. He has no weapons beyond his serve. A good FH but too loopy and a 4.0 net game. Anyone also a little miffed at how Roddick doesn't even extend the racquet at the net against some tough shots? Becker would lay his body on the ground to get to volleys, Roddick just is like whatever, too far to stretch...

Roddicks comments to Fowler were lame. Cahill and Gilbert and both Macs have been spot on. At the very least Cahill and Gilbert have been great coaches, funny how he dismisses the "analyst" community that way, and both Macs have been legit and JMac HOF players... Roddick gets a lot of criticism cause he deserves it.

Kaz00
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Gilbert shoulda been in that chair would have ripped Andy a new one about the way he plays now.

LDVTennis
09-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Some players fade gracefully.

Not Andy.

He wants to remind us he is and was always an a-hole.

MajinX
09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok, here it is:

"Tennis analyst is the easiest job in the world because whatever the person does, if it works you just say that's what's good, and if it doesn't work, you guys go, "He should have done the other things." So, you know, I'm pretty convinced that I could be a tennis analyst one day...it just doesn't take much thought...if I'm grinding and I'm winning, you guys are like, "He's reinvented himself." If I'm playing like crap and pushing, then, you know, "He's horrible and he needs to hit the ball." Everyone's an expert but I'm better than most of them, I believe."

I agree with Andy. We like to listen to those analysts and get entertained at times. But that's what they do, it's just not possible to do it any other way. At least I havnt seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEFARVhg4Q&feature=player_embedded

Bad voice, hardly audible.

Haha... Fowler is the guy who picks on others, now he is like he is hunching and wants to disappear

Haha i was thinking almost exactly the same thing while watching some of the commentators yesterday, they usually comment on a point after hindsight, a ball goes out by an inch and they say it was a sprayed shot, bad, and was rushed, but a similar shot gets played later and just lands on the line and its the best shot in the game lol.

Soianka
09-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Not Andy.

yup.......

OddJack
09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Well it's news around the net now, here is more comprehensive coverage:

----------------------

By Ben Rothenberg - Contributor

Andy Roddick blasted the field of tennis commentators after his first round win Wednesday at the 2011 U.S. Open. But are the critics worthy of criticism?

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

Sep 1, 2011 - Andy Roddick turned in an adequate but uninspiring performance in his first match at the 2011 U.S. Open, scraping past 33-year-old journeyman Michael Russell 6-2, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 Wednesday night in Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Roddick, the 2003 U.S. Open champion, needed nearly three hours to beat Russell, who dropped to an all-time worst career U.S. Open record of 0-7 with the loss.

Roddick entered the U.S. Open ranked outside the top 20 for the first time in nearly a decade, falling to the No. 21 seed. Having lost his spot as top-ranked American to Mardy Fish and without a quarterfinal appearance at a Grand Slam since January of 2010, Roddick is now an easier target than ever for commentators looking to fill air time.

But unlike larger sports in which commentators and athletes rarely interact and sometimes never meet, elite American men's tennis is a small, incestuous community. And because of the individual aspect of life as a tennis player, the people at the top of the sport often spend huge percentages of their lives together.

Patrick McEnroe, one of ESPN's primary tennis commentators and the current General Manager of Player Development for the United States Tennis Association, was also the captain of the American Davis Cup team for ten years, working, traveling, and eating with Roddick, the squad's star. With Roddick carrying the team, the Americans won the Davis Cup in 2007, ending a 12-year drought and garnering McEnroe praise for "his" success.

Considering all that Roddick has meant to the less accomplished McEnroe's career, it's understandable that Roddick may have taken exception to McEnroe's recent comments about his decline.

"How much more can he push himself to do this? Serving huge and playing defensively?" Patrick McEnroe recently asked. "If he continues to play this style, which is a grinding style, having to grind it out, it will wear on him physically and mentally. You're seeing that happen now.

"That doesn't mean hitting the ball harder. It means hitting the ball earlier and better and cutting the angles off. Maybe he doesn't believe he can do that."

Brad Gilbert, who was Roddick's primary coach when he won his U.S. Open title in 2003 (spending even more time training, traveling, eating with him than McEnroe ever did), echoed similar sentiments Wednesday night in his role as an ESPN talking head (as Roddick was on his way to the booth for an interview):

[Roddick]'s definitely going to need to get better. But the good thing is he's in an unbelievable part of the draw, so he's got tot take advantage of that situation. But he's going to need to play a little more aggressive, going to play the youngster and fellow Cornhusker Jack Sock next.

Let's take a look at a little highlights here...third set, look at that passing shot right there. Sometimes when Andy comes in, he covers middle. My coach used to say "cover the line! Stamped on your passport, cover the line!"

In the fourth set, look at Andy Roddick, well behind the baseline again, really playing counter-punching tennis.

He's still going to need to be much more aggressive...a low unforced error total. I'd like to see him serve a little bit bigger, more aces, be a little more bold on the second serve as well....He's still going to need to get a lot better.

None of the criticism was especially damning, but for Roddick to have to hear it immediately after a win from Gilbert, a man with whom he ended a long-term relationship of sorts due to irreconcilable differences, couldn't have been what he was in the mood for.

Two minutes after Gilbert finished, Roddick let off some scalding steam in the direction of ESPN's Chris Fowler, saying that his colleagues had "the easiest job in the world."

OddJack
09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
After correctly guessing a statistic about the following Maria Sharapova match, ESPN's Pam Shriver defensively laughed away Roddick's blast.

"What was Andy Roddick saying earlier, how easy this is?" Shriver laughed.

"Did you take a little offense to that?" asked Mary Joe Fernandez nervously.

"It--it was a little disrespectful," Shriver reluctantly said. "But Andy has a great sense of humor, and I think he was just having some fun with us."

"There were some priceless looks on some faces when Andy was making his comments," laughed Mike Tirico, an outsider to the sport who would have had little reason to be offended by Roddick's words.

If you interpret authority to talk about a sport as a hierarchy, it's easy to understand why Andy Roddick, a Grand Slam champion and four-time Grand Slam runner-up, would scoff at the likes of Patrick McEnroe (zero career Grand Slam singles titles), Brad Gilbert (zero career Grand Slam singles titles), Pam Shriver (a Hall of Fame doubles player, but zero career Grand Slam singles titles), and Mary Joe Fernandez (zero career Grand Slam singles titles), not to mention the non-players like Fowler.

Commentators are hired to give their opinions, to talk about tennis and its players at length, and to occasionally sound like they know what they're talking about. It can be an extremely formulaic task, as Roddick points out, and their remarks often pile on redundantly over time.

But when a former player hired as a talking head refuses to criticize a player, it's far worse. Justin Gimelstob, a retired player who never broke the top 60 in singles, is clearly proud of his closeness with much of the current generation in American men's tennis, including 19-year-old Ryan Harrison (Gimelstob linked to a photo of himself and Harrison together on Twitter in July, and seems to supervise Harrison's internet activities as well).

OddJack
09-01-2011, 09:39 AM
When asked by Emmy-winning sports journalist Mary Carillo for his opinion on Harrison's childish behavior, Gimelstob explicitly refused to condemn his buddy.

Carillo, who never once squirmed in the face of criticism the way Gimelstob did, stopped working for ESPN in the middle of the 2010 U.S. Open, reportedly over differences regarding her unwillingness to act as a cheerleader and promoter for American players.

Though she never broke the top 30 or reached the second week of a Grand Slam in singles, and though she can be one of the more negative voices in the sport, it's hard to imagine Andy Roddick ripping on Carillo individually in quite the same way. Carillo doesn't regurgitate a company line, doesn't act as a parrot for the current prevailing wisdom, and isn't afraid to call B.S. when she sees or hears it.

Maybe she and Roddick aren't so different after all.

For more U.S. Open coverage, visit SB Nation's tennis hub.

http://www.sbnation.com/tennis/2011/9/1/2397409/andy-roddick-us-open-tennis-2011-espn-analysts-video

TMF
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Roddick has problem not just with Fowler, but against the players, reporters and umpires. He once said to Monfils after getting beat - you are not good enough to be cocky.

Brooklyn Decker should teach him some matter.

His countryman - Isner, Fish, Bryan's Brother, Querry have quality character/personality. Roddick can learn from them.

Fifth Set
09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought it was a great, blunt exchange. Bold of Fowler to go there and even bolder of Roddick to rip a guy who he generally is quite fond of.

Most interviews are boring. Leave it to Roddick and Fowler to liven things up.

That said, the critics of Roddick's GAME are actually right - he is grinding too much, not using his serve well and well past his prime.

achokshi99
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
********* - Roddick was more aggressive even through around 2005 or so. He plays way within the lines and tries to be Gilles Simon now, basically Stefanki wrecked his game. Roddick can flatten the FH out and at the very least unload it, even if it is loopier. His BH is a liability which everyone including him, knows. The "problem" is Roddick is now in better shape now than he was in his early 20s so he has no need to feel compelled to play with the wreckless abandon that made him more dangerous. I like/liked Roddicks game pre 2006, it was unpredictable and he went for it and played off instinct. That's not the type of game for everyone but it fit in with what Roddick did well.

Look at Agassi when he got old, he had back and wrist issues and knew he had to shorten points even if he was in good shape, his body couldnt take the long rallies. Even Federer is working on adjusting his game to his age, he's working on ending points faster even at the expense of the occasional shanks. Roddick has taken away the killer instinct and very rarely goes for his shots, that won't work against the rest of the top 20.

ATXtennisaddict
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Everyone on TW is a TV analyst.

LuvTheGame
09-01-2011, 12:27 PM
(Exactly! If a commentator has the right to critique a tennis player's performance, then a tennis player has the right to critique a commentator's performance.

Plus I think commentators sometimes forget their role. They are there to analyze the tennis match, first and foremost. Analyzing a player's commitment to tennis, or training method/strategy and telling them they are doing the wrong thing with their career.... is going a bit too far. Especially when the commentator doesn't know for sure whether the player is capable of implementing the strategy, a strategy that player may have spent their whole career trying to implement)

Beautifully phrased! I too wish commentators, especially those on ESPN, would focus on analyzing the match being played. I can remember when before the match the analysts would compare the players' game and rate who had the edge in respective areas. Maybe I am showing my age!:(

Borrelli
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Well it's news around the net now, here is more comprehensive coverage:

----------------------

None of the criticism was especially damning, but for Roddick to have to hear it immediately after a win from Gilbert, a man with whom he ended a long-term relationship of sorts due to irreconcilable differences, couldn't have been what he was in the mood for."

It's funny that Andy ends a lot of his coaching relationships that way, Jimmy Conners comes to mind. It's one thing for him to disagree with Fowler, Drysdale, Tirico, etc. but Johnny Mac says the same thing about Roddick needing to come in behind his huge serve and stop rolling over the forehand and just hit it. To Roddicks credit the surfaces have gotten really slow over the years and Roddick isn't exactly the fastest guy on tour so it does leave him open to get passed.

ttbrowne
09-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Not Andy.

Andy's turned into Grandpa Roddick, all cranky and out of sorts.
Maybe the crowd on his next match can start chanting, "Grand - pa, grand - pa, grand - pa!"

markwillplay
09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry, but if the commentators only talk about the "game" and not the training habbits, commitment, the mental side of a plwyer, those who are not really into tennis big time will be board. Sorry *********, I know what you mean but I disagree with you. I am a tennis nut but I still find it interesting to hear the payers responses to questions about things other than the match they just played....and especially a top American who has been that for 8-10 years. If you only ask about these guys's games, you will get some boring answers..especially if the match was boring. Come on...

jaggy
09-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I am outspoken about his on court behavior especially the way he berates those who cant answer back like umpires. Total bully behavior. However I find him a great interview and seems genuinley interesting.

Defcon
09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
A commentator's job is to comment on the match and explain what's going on, and make the game accessible to viewers. That also means stories, anecdotes, gossip, additional info, speculation, history etc, as long as it doesn't interfere with the match. They should be knowledgeable about the sport and not make blind statements, but its ok if they get it wrong, and is ok to have an attitude.

The good ones manage to do this and also manage to shut up between points.

Viper
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
===edit===