PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else annoyed by Sharapova's screaming?

clutch21
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I really enjoy watching Sharapova play but often I am faced with the agonizing decision of whether it is worth putting up with her piercing scream. Alot of players grunt/scream when hitting but IMO her scream is particulary hard on the ears. I have recently been muting the TV, and just watching silent points but its not the same...

Can anyone sympathize with me? lol

Pwned
08-31-2011, 07:23 PM
You obviously aren't deaf since you can hear her. I'm surprised you haven't heard everyone else on the planet talk about it.

clutch21
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
someone else just posted the same thing right before me... wow...how original of me

kishnabe
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
There are 20 threads about this....Everyone feel's your pain but Sharapova won't stop even if you wish her too!

OddJack
08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Not that annoyed, maybe prefer if it wasnt there...

I think this screaming thing is over blown too

maybe I love watching her so much it doesnt bother me

shara can scream, anytime, anywhere :^)

If anything, its her nationality. The girl grew up here, became an star here, is paid by sponsors here, lives here, most appreciated by fans here,
and she calls herself a Russian.

OrangePower
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
I really enjoy watching Sharapova play but often I am faced with the agonizing decision of whether it is worth putting up with her piercing scream. Alot of players grunt/scream when hitting but IMO her scream is particulary hard on the ears. I have recently been muting the TV, and just watching silent points but its not the same...

Yeah, it spoils watching her. Which is a pity, because otherwise she is quite watchable for several reasons, her game being one of them :-)

BreakPoint
08-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyone else annoyed by Sharapova's screaming?

Oh, I dunno.......is the sky blue?

:shock:

cknobman
09-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I watched the match last night and it was not as bad as it could have been.

Probably had something to do with how easily she blasted that poor girl off the court.

GS
09-01-2011, 06:25 AM
I love my TV remote's mute button. Don't watch at home without it. Shreikapova and the other screamers are giving womens tennis a bad sound.

CmonHewitt
09-01-2011, 06:26 AM
I think we're all use to it by now.

And besides... too busy looking at her legs

CourtlyLove
09-01-2011, 06:38 AM

No, one one. You are literally the first person ever to have a problem with grunting/shrieking in women's tennis. This is a subject that has never been broached before, and I'm so glad you're taking the discourse over tennis in brand new directions.

You're an innovator, buddy.

sureshs
09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Her looks and her game more than make up for the screaming. Look at it as part of the whole package.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure why but among all the grunting/screaming girl players (and there are plenty of them now), Sharapova is the one who grates on my nerves the most. Maybe because in her case, it sounds so much more like an intimidation tactic than anything else.

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure why but among all the grunting/screaming girl players (and there are plenty of them now), Sharapova is the one who grates on my nerves the most. Maybe because in her case, it sounds so much more like an intimidation tactic than anything else.

Wonder if the WTA can quiet the shreikers by making this a hindrance?

SLD76
09-01-2011, 07:09 AM
(I think the WTA should, because several players who shriek in matches actually don't shriek during practice [yet they hit the ball just as hard in practice], including Sharapova)

we dont agree on much...or ever...but that, I can agree with.

TMF
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Nadal does it too...his grunting is a tactic to intimitdate/distract his apponent.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Sharapova doesn't grunt. She shrieks. I have no problem with grunting.

Gizo
09-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Exactly. There is a clear difference. It's funny that people criticise Nadal's 'vamos', Hewitt's 'come on', Henin's 'allez' etc, but at least they are after the point, and what is wrong with showing passion and joy on the court.

Sharapova, Venus, Azarenka, shriek like banshees during the point which is far worse.

Fedace
09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

I love it. I record it every chance i get.:)

TMF
09-01-2011, 08:47 AM

It doesn't matter, shrieks/grunting is making noise. Some people have problem with either grunt or shrieks, some have problem with both. Some don't have a problem at all.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 08:50 AM
OK and I'm in the category who has a problem with screaming.

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
If Shreikapova is bad, Azashreika must be.......................?

Soianka
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Sharapova is not so bad most of the time or at least I am used to her.

I can't even watch Azaranka's matches. It's just awful.

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Her looks and her game more than make up for the screaming. Look at it as part of the whole package.
"Her game"? :confused: Her game is even worse than her screaming. :shock:

sureshs
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Her BH is better than Fed's

TennisandMusic
09-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Oddly enough she would crush you 0 and 0, no matter what age you were.

On topic, the WTA is pretty out of hand. I think it's MUCH less annoying in person because it's not being piped in to your house through a mic'd up court, but I've also only heard her in open courts, not stadiums where the sound may reverberate more. Still think Venus is the worst I've ever heard though, if you had that crap up loud it would sound like you're watching a murder.

juanparty
09-01-2011, 09:49 AM
It's like watching p0rn

TennisCJC
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
S'pova, Azarenka, and Venus and a few others are over the top. I like S'pova a lot but screaming is over the top. WTA should put a decibel device courtside and have it sound a buzzer when shrieking goes above a specific threshold. Players get to practice with the device. Buzzer sounds and player loses point. Then S'pova will sound as beautiful as she looks.

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
It's like watching p0rn

More like hearing it

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Oddly enough she would crush you 0 and 0, no matter what age you were.

Did I say she couldn't? So what? Her game is ugly and one-dimensional. Mine is neither. I'd rather have my game and lose than have her game and win any day of the week.

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Her BH is better than Fed's
No it isn't. If Federer played Sharapova with the rule being they could both only hit backhands, I'd bet you Federer would still win.

TennisandMusic
09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Did I say she couldn't? So what? Her game is ugly and one-dimensional. Mine is neither. I'd rather have my game and lose than have her game and win any day of the week.

The fact she could crush you means HER game is better than YOUR game. It doesn't matter what it "looks" like. She could keep the ball in player longer than you, hit better winners, hit more aces (even with her bum shoulder) etc.

You claim your game is not "one dimensional", but that's for a club hacker. For a pro you don't even HAVE game...see the difference? So quit going around disparaging people for having an "ugly" game. Especially when you won't even play people. Bummer too because I was just in NorCal.

Amelie Mauresmo
09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Sharapova is cheating but on ESPN they make a big deal out of her. I think Sharapova is extremely overrated but she's a young blonde white chick so that means she's considered marketable. I heard Sharapova is silent when she practices. The WTA needs to crack down on this screaming it is just cheating.

Lunaticalm
09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Serena ought to shove a ball down her annoying freaking throat.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM
OK and I'm in the category who has a problem with screaming.

You are simply insecure that your husband probably finds 99% of the players on the WTA-tour hotter than yourself.

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Serena ought to shove a ball down her annoying freaking throat.

They both are shreikzillas

Lunaticalm
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
They both are shreikzillas

I don't like them both but in fairness, Serena knows when to tone it down a little bit.

veroniquem
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
You are simply insecure that your husband probably finds 99% of the players on the WTA-tour hotter than yourself.

My husband doesn't like Sharapova either.

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
The fact she could crush you means HER game is better than YOUR game. It doesn't matter what it "looks" like. She could keep the ball in player longer than you, hit better winners, hit more aces (even with her bum shoulder) etc.

You claim your game is not "one dimensional", but that's for a club hacker. For a pro you don't even HAVE game...see the difference? So quit going around disparaging people for having an "ugly" game. Especially when you won't even play people. Bummer too because I was just in NorCal.
And why does "better" necessarily mean "winning"? :confused: "Better" could mean playing a more interesting and enjoyable game. I'd much rather watch Federer lose than see Nadal win because I think Federer has a more interesting and enjoyable game. There's more to tennis than just winning. If it were just about winning, half the people would quit the sport.

sureshs
09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
No it isn't. If Federer played Sharapova with the rule being they could both only hit backhands, I'd bet you Federer would still win.

I think Sharapova would win

sureshs
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I'd rather have my game and lose than have her game and win any day of the week.

I would like some of her money

sureshs
09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Interesting..........

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Thats what he tells you...

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I think Sharapova would win
I don't think so. All Federer has to do is hit one of his patented short chip slice backhands short and Sharapova would fall over trying to get to it. :)

WhereDitGo
09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I hate Sharapovs's screaming and Azarinka's as well. I don't watch their matches even though I like Azarinka's style of play. I would never pay to sit through any of their matches. I like watching Nadal but I even hate the noise he makes.

My definition of hell is watching a Sharapova Azarinka match with Cliffy Drysdale commenting. My head hurts thinking about it.

Crisstti
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
S'pova, Azarenka, and Venus and a few others are over the top. I like S'pova a lot but screaming is over the top. WTA should put a decibel device courtside and have it sound a buzzer when shrieking goes above a specific threshold. Players get to practice with the device. Buzzer sounds and player loses point. Then S'pova will sound as beautiful as she looks.

Why on earth would they do something like that? :rolleyes:

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
And why does "better" necessarily mean "winning"? :confused: "Better" could mean playing a more interesting and enjoyable game. I'd much rather watch Federer lose than see Nadal win because I think Federer has a more interesting and enjoyable game. There's more to tennis than just winning. If it were just about winning, half the people would quit the sport.

Sounds like sometimes when you win you actually lose and when you lose, you are Winning. It's what you get from the process. Not a zero sum game.

_maxi
09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Wow, you should understand then why we dislike Nadal.

WhereDitGo
09-01-2011, 03:57 PM
And let's call it what it is... Sharapove SCREAMS. It's not a grunt. Try doing it yourself when you play. The neigborhs near the courts where I play would call the police hearing that. Sharapova IS out of hand and there is no way it is not distracting to her opponents. How do the fans sit through her matches?

Evert ( I think ) brought this up during one of the recent matches and said she asked the head of the WTA what she thought. The woman said that she had never received a complaint from a player about the noise. I find that curious and hard to believe.

I'm sure everyone as noticed that Wozniacki makes a baby whale like noise *before* she hits the ball. What the hey is up with that. It's not very loud and it's kind of funny but still.

guitarplayer
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree 100%. They should make these screamers wear a shock collar. Every time they go over the decibel meter.....boom..give them 5,000 penalty volts!

And let's call it what it is... Sharapove SCREAMS. It's not a grunt. Try doing it yourself when you play. The neigborhs near the courts where I play would call the police hearing that. Sharapova IS out of hand and there is no way it is not distracting to her opponents. How do the fans sit through her matches?

Evert ( I think ) brought this up during one of the recent matches and said she asked the head of the WTA what she thought. The woman said that she had never received a complaint from a player about the noise. I find that curious and hard to believe.

I'm sure everyone as noticed that Wozniacki makes a baby whale like noise *before* she hits the ball. What the hey is up with that. It's not very loud and it's kind of funny but still.

LDVTennis
09-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Thats what he tells you...

This is funny...

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree 100%. They should make these screamers wear a shock collar. Every time they go over the decibel meter.....boom..give them 5,000 penalty volts!

Wowow, that like totally changes the meaning of giving an opponent the 'Shocker'!

Mustard
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM

I think you'd be better off asking if anyone ISN'T annoyed by Sharapova's screaming.

hrstrat57
09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
(I think the WTA should, because several players who shriek in matches actually don't shriek during practice [yet they hit the ball just as hard in practice], including Sharapova. So I'm sure if the players knew it wasn't allowed, then they would stop [or reduce to the accepted decibel level])

Agree 100%

adventure
09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
The US Open claims it's sponsorship revenue and attendance are both at record levels, even though tv ratings have tanked.

As long as the revenue is flowing in, I don't think tennis officials will have the incentive to crack down on this lack of sportsmanship.

Apparently, the game still has strong appeal for the wealthy demographic in the US, even though it's popular appeal is probably the lowest it's ever been.

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I hate Sharapovs's screaming and Azarinka's as well. I don't watch their matches even though I like Azarinka's style of play. I would never pay to sit through any of their matches. I like watching Nadal but I even hate the noise he makes.

My definition of hell is watching a Sharapova Azarinka match with Cliffy Drysdale commenting. My head hurts thinking about it.
Can you imagine Nadal having a menage a trois with Sharapova and Azarenka? :shock: Windows would be shattering within a 10 mile radius of his bedroom. :lol: LOL

Fedace
09-01-2011, 07:00 PM
You can make a MP3 file and Wake up to her screaming. GREAT for Alarm clock. you can keep hitting the snooze button and she will keep screaming back at you to Wake up.

Ronaldo
09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Can you imagine Nadal having a menage a trois with Sharapova and Azarenka? :shock: Windows would be shattering within a 10 mile radius of his bedroom. :lol: LOL

May discover the sound of silence. Hello Darkness our only friend, back into our bedroom once again.

mctennis
09-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Annoyed times a million. I can't stand to hear her play. If I had tickets to a final with her in it I'd tear the tickets up and not go. And no I wouldn't give them to someone else.

Andreas1965
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
What about a fan petition? One could contact the WTA?
What about using the shrieker's facebook- pages? If hundreds of fans write them how annoyed they are....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453232,7.005319

halalula1234
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM
her constant screaming and "come ons" are extremely annoying to watch

Ronaldo
09-02-2011, 08:09 AM
her constant screaming and "come ons" are extremely annoying to watch

Bartoli paid for her "Come On".

jackson vile
09-02-2011, 08:19 AM
You can make a MP3 file and Wake up to her screaming. GREAT for Alarm clock. you can keep hitting the snooze button and she will keep screaming back at you to Wake up.

Like a woman having a baby right?

wmilas
09-02-2011, 08:37 AM
What I don't understand, especially with Azarenka who continues to scream as the opponent is striking the ball, why the opponent doesn't go to the umpire to ask for a ruling? As far as I know (which admittedly isn't a whole lot as I find out each week when I play :) Its against the rules to purposely distract the opposing player when he or she is striking the ball.

Screaming at the opponent when she or he is striking the ball cannot be construed any other way accept as trying to district him/her. Grunt scream all you want as you strike the ball. Knock it off before your opponent does.

Ronaldo
09-02-2011, 08:49 AM
What I don't understand, especially with Azarenka who continues to scream as the opponent is striking the ball, why the opponent doesn't go to the umpire to ask for a ruling? As far as I know (which admittedly isn't a whole lot as I find out each week when I play :) Its against the rules to purposely distract the opposing player when he or she is striking the ball.

Screaming at the opponent when she or he is striking the ball cannot be construed any other way accept as trying to district him/her. Grunt scream all you want as you strike the ball. Knock it off before your opponent does.

Must be some kind of agreement that no one requests a hindrance on the top women. May swoon if they received a warning.

LuvTheGame
09-02-2011, 08:56 AM
I read somewhere that the shrieking started with Monica Seles. Wish they would tone that type of sound down, preferably switch the volume off. Who in the world is teaching these women to play tennis and why do they encourage such sounds?

I like Sharapova's game, especially her fight but hate that shrieking!

Atherton2003
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Sharapova's screeching is annoying - the opponent is affected as well - and the fans and t.v. audience can't stand listening to that shrieking. The better players of years ago never had to "screech" like that. Disgusting. Sharapova with the snotty face and the shriek - makes he sound as if she's taking an enema.

sureshs
09-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Can you imagine Nadal having a menage a trois with Sharapova and Azarenka?

You have an active imagination

DjokovicForTheWin
09-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I doubt Sasha is complaining.

Lunaticalm
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Masha is out!! No more banshee shrieks!

Ronaldo
09-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Wait till Serena plays Azarenka

tennis_pro
09-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Waiting for a double bagel for Serena tomorrow now.

Lunaticalm
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Wait till Serena plays Azarenka

Lol I forgot those two. Will definitely watch that one.

Gizo
09-02-2011, 01:10 PM
The only thing that I like about Sharapova is her fighting spirit, but I dislike everything else about her.

She has a very boring style of play, she screams like a banshee, and she has a cold, aloof and boring personality.

ATXtennisaddict
09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
You obviously aren't deaf since you can hear her. I'm surprised you haven't heard everyone else on the planet talk about it.

LOL I clicked on the thread, expecting a 2008 thread to be resurrected but was surprised to find a newly made one from today.

I guess the OP turned on the volume on his/her TV.

Ronaldo
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Lol I forgot those two. Will definitely watch that one.

Hear it too.

1970CRBase
09-02-2011, 03:45 PM
The one person that howling doesn't work on, Howler has never beaten since 2004. No coincidence.

gregor.b
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Uuuuggghhh!You know it is bad when the commentators start talking about the noise and forget about the tennis.I never used to be a huge fan of women's tennis but did watch it coz I love tennis.Now when I see the screamers come on I just change channels.

Ben Hadd
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm deaf in 1 ear, and half deaf in the other. Her screaming annoys me. I love to watch her play, and she is one of my favorites in the WTA, but give me a break. It often seems fake.

SirGounder
09-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Uuuuggghhh!You know it is bad when the commentators start talking about the noise and forget about the tennis.I never used to be a huge fan of women's tennis but did watch it coz I love tennis.Now when I see the screamers come on I just change channels.

I like to use the mute button. Then I use the voices in my head as commentators.

gregor.b
09-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I like to use the mute button. Then I use the voices in my head as commentators.

The voices in my head know as much about tennis as I do about Rocket Surgery.