PDA

View Full Version : Pam Shriver finally...

DRII
09-01-2011, 05:51 AM
adds something meaningful to the discussion!

I have problems with many commentators. I find Shriver to be too curt or abrasive a lot of the time.

However, yesterday she brought up an interesting stat. She said there has only been 3 women over 6ft that have won majors in the modern era: Venus, Davenport, and Sharapova.

I wonder why this is the case? There very well may be something to this.

Well if there is something to it; then Venus has over-achieved (relatively speaking, especially considering her recent diagnosis of sufferring from an auto-immune disease). Although, i think she could have (and should have) done more, with at least double digit slam count, considering her athleticism and explosive power and defense during her peak...

Interesting, none the less...

Soianka
09-01-2011, 05:52 AM

I have problems with many commentators. I find Shriver to be too curt or abrasive a lot of the time.

However, yesterday she brought up an interesting stat. She said there has only been 3 women over 6ft that have won majors in the modern era: Venus, Davenport, and Sharapova.

Well if there is something to it; then Venus has over-achieved (relatively speaking, especially considering her recent diagnosis of sufferring from an auto-immune disease). Although, i think she could have (and should have) done more, with at least double digit slam count, considering her athleticism and explosive power and defense during her peak...

That's an interesting stat. I never would have thought that. I was thinking about how few GS Davenport won the other day.

Clay lover
09-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Venus has not over-achieved.

Ivanovic is over 6 ft.

TiberiusGracchus
09-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Some of the reason for it is that females being over 6 feet tall is very rare. Hell, only 20% of human males are 6 feet or taller. It would be like pointing out how few men 6'5 or taller have won slams in the modern era. There just aren't that many of them out there playing.

Soianka
09-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Some of the reason for it is that females being over 6 feet tall is very rare. Hell, only 20% of human males are 6 feet or taller. It would be like pointing out how few men 6'5 or taller have won slams in the modern era. There just aren't that many of them out there playing.

Good point.

bluetrain4
09-01-2011, 06:24 AM
"However, yesterday she brought up an interesting stat. She said there has only been 3 women over 6ft that have won majors in the modern era: Venus, Davenport, and Sharapova.

I wonder why this is the case? There very well may be something to this."

I don't think there's anything to it at all. First, as the previous poster pointed out, 6 feet tall women are relatively rare. Second, of all the 6 feet tall women, not all of them are going to be athletes in the first place. Third, the ones that are athletes, only a certain percentage will play tennis, while others choose or are steered toward basketball, volleyball, and other sports. Fourth, of the small pool of six foot tall women who choose tennis, like any other group, only a very few will ever be elite enough to win a Slam -- thus we have only 3, which, again, I don't find surprising in any way.

So, I'd say the lack of 6 foot tall female champions is simply because they are so much rarer to begin with than players under 6 feet. I guess, there is an argument that once a tennis player reaches a certain height, his/her movement suffers and negates to some degree what ever advantages he/she gains from the height. Though, clearly that's not true for every player. Venus, was a great mover, but it's a theory that still hold. Davenport and Sharapova aren't great movers. But, I'd still say the primary reason is the scarcity of 6 feet or taller female tennis players to begin with.

Champions are rare at any height, how many 5'6" ot 5'7" of 5'8" female Slam champs have there been in the Open era. A lot more than those over 6 feet. But, figure that as a percentage of all the 5'6"-5'8" women who have played in the Open era (of which there are way, way more than, 6 feet+ women) and the percentage would be incredibly small, as with the 6 feet women.

Next question - how many 5'2" or under Slam champs have there been in the open era?

SLD76
09-01-2011, 07:04 AM
"However, yesterday she brought up an interesting stat. She said there has only been 3 women over 6ft that have won majors in the modern era: Venus, Davenport, and Sharapova.

I wonder why this is the case? There very well may be something to this."

I don't think there's anything to it at all. First, as the previous poster pointed out, 6 feet tall women are relatively rare. Second, of all the 6 feet tall women, not all of them are going to be athletes in the first place. Third, the ones that are athletes, only a certain percentage will play tennis, while others choose or are steered toward basketball, volleyball, and other sports. Fourth, of the small pool of six foot tall women who choose tennis, like any other group, only a very few will ever be elite enough to win a Slam -- thus we have only 3, which, again, I don't find surprising in any way.

So, I'd say the lack of 6 foot tall female champions is simply because they are so much rarer to begin with than players under 6 feet. I guess, there is an argument that once a tennis player reaches a certain height, his/her movement suffers and negates to some degree what ever advantages he/she gains from the height. Though, clearly that's not true for every player. Venus, was a great mover, but it's a theory that still hold. Davenport and Sharapova aren't great movers. But, I'd still say the primary reason is the scarcity of 6 feet or taller female tennis players to begin with.

Champions are rare at any height, how many 5'6" ot 5'7" of 5'8" female Slam champs have there been in the Open era. A lot more than those over 6 feet. But, figure that as a percentage of all the 5'6"-5'8" women who have played in the Open era (of which there are way, way more than, 6 feet+ women) and the percentage would be incredibly small, as with the 6 feet women.

Next question - how many 5'2" or under Slam champs have there been in the open era?

In addition to what you wrote, the taller you are the more lumbering you will be with bad movement. Venus was an exception in that even for her height she was an excellent mover with great food speed and body control.

Sharapova had to develop strike first tennis to cover her movement which is still terrible. Kvitova is somewhat similar but I believe she moves a bit better than Maria and is a bit better defender. Davenport wasnt really a slam champion til she adressed her fitness and movement.

There is a reason great dancers all tend to be short. lower center of gravity, better coordination and movement. Not to say basketball players arent athletic , but still there is a difference between that and say all the moving parts required for a complicated dance routine.

At a certain point, both for men and women, there seem to be diminishing returns for extreme height. Movement being the chief property.

DRII
09-01-2011, 07:33 AM

I'm pretty sure the average height for tennis players is much higher than the mean for the overall population, both male and female!

As another poster stated: there is probably a threshold of height where disadvantages outweigh advantages, law of limiting returns so to speak...

Still, Venus has overachieved relative to other women tennis players over 6 ft...

Amelie Mauresmo
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
This is why Venus is so unique she is six foot one yet when Venus was young she was an amazing athlete. Davenport and Sharapova are slow but then again they are taller than Venus. Davenport is six foot two and a half and Sharapova is six foot two. It is harder for a taller woman to move on the court. But isn't Kvitova six feet tall and I heard Ivanovic is six feet tall as well.

jackson vile
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
ESPN Fire Pam, please!!!!

LuvTheGame
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Someboy at ESPN stop that woman from doing PreMatch and PostMatch interviews! After Federer's three set match the woman asked him question after question after question. Then she had the nerve to ask him to conduct a tennis clinic. Pitiful. She is just clueless. Please ESPN think!

jackson vile
09-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Someboy at ESPN stop that woman from doing PreMatch and PostMatch interviews! After Federer's three set match the woman asked him question after question after question. Then she had the nerve to ask him to conduct a tennis clinic. Pitiful. She is just clueless. Please ESPN think!

Well said, she is just so completely daft. And I don't even like Federer, but no one needs to be treated like that. He play professional tennis, he deserves a professional interviewer!

Bud
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Kvitova seems a bit over 6'. How many slam finalists have been 6' or over? Safina made a number of finals and she's close to 6'2

So, I don't think there is a correlation of 6'+ and not winning slam titles.

- -

Over the past 20 years, it seems the average is about 5'10 (which is pretty darn tall for a woman)

LuvTheGame
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Send Venus a Get Well Message.

Go to Blog "Williams Sisters Rock" and leave Comment.

http://williamssistersrock.wordpress.com/

The_Question
09-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I like how Sharapova just cut her off with the last 2 questions, lmao...

sureshs
09-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I like how Sharapova just cut her off with the last 2 questions, lmao...

I loved that too. Masha said the crowd wanted her to hit balls and not talk, though everyone knew she was referring to Pam Shriver. She thinks that the younger generation owes her something because she was once famous, but does not realize that no one cares about her any more.

And she could dress better too.