PDA

View Full Version : Murray will need a minor miracle.

Fedex
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Murray's really got his work cut out for him at this tournament.
He, potentially, has some seriously gruelling matches coming up and the bad scheduling meaning he has less time to play his matches is, at the very least, not helping.
Next up is Haase and this is what he can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcZEJrSIkN8

Then he probably has to go through Wawrinka then Del Potro (coming onto form) then Nadal followed by Federer or Djokovic to cap it off.
Even if he get's to the final, will it be a case of having absolutely nothing left in the tank again?

celoft
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
He, potentially, has some seriously gruelling matches coming up and the bad scheduling meaning he has less time to play his matches is, at the very least, not helping.

Then he probably has to go through Wawrinka then Del Potro (coming onto form) then Nadal followed by Federer or Djokovic to cap it off.
Even if he get's to the final, will it be a case of having absolutely nothing left in the tank again?

He has a tough draw. Would suck for him to lose a 4th slam final....

Bud
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Tough draw? :lol:
Haase? Perhaps
Delpo? Murray 4-0 on HC vs Delpo
Wawrinka? If he survives the draw, may be a small challenge for Murray

His only tough opponents are Nadal and Djokovic, later on since Federer won't get beyond Djokovic.

The unknown is Haase in his next round, whom he is 0-1 against

- -

All things considered, this is a nice draw for Murray

OddJack
09-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah... he got the looks this time around...

All shaved and clean, thats new.

Got all the advice in line, should shut up a few for a few weeks.

djones
09-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Tough draw? :lol:
Haase? Perhaps
Delpo? Murray 4-0 on HC vs Delpo
Wawrinka? If he survives the draw, may be a small challenge for Murray

His only tough opponents are Nadal and Djokovic, later on since Federer won't get beyond Djokovic.

The unknown is Haase in his next round, whom he is 0-1 against

- -

All things considered, this is a nice draw for Murray

Looking forward to the next match against Haase.
Haase is really doing well and he doesn't seem to be intimidated by high ranked opponents either.
Hope it will be a competitive match.

jackson vile
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
If anyone can do it, it is Murray. You never know what he will do, he is the true wildcard.

Bud
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Looking forward to the next match against Haase.
Haase is really doing well and he doesn't seem to be intimidated by high ranked opponents either.
Hope it will be a competitive match.

The Haase match will be a good indicator of where he's currently at. If he beats Haase in straight sets, I think the argument for him winning the title here becomes much stronger.

DjokovicForTheWin
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
LOL, Murray should easily make the final against Djoker. Nadal is no match for him on USO courts as has been shown in the past.

Torres
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Murray plays better when the chips are down.

He'll roll over all of those guys........and then lose to Fed/Djoko as usual with some mental collapse after the first set.

celoft
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I think the final will be Djokovic-Murray with Djokovic winning.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Lol, Murray is getting nowhere near the final.

I predicted a 1st round blowout for him, but since he inexplicably managed to scrape past that asian, I'd be shocked if he didn't lose in straights to Hasse.

US Open always equals early failure for him, more even the other slams, and now the surface is slowed down he will exit even earlier.

celoft
09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Lol, Murray is getting nowhere near the final.

I predicted a 1st round blowout for him, but since he inexplicably managed to scrape past that asian, I'd be shocked if he didn't lose in straights to Hasse.

US Open always equals early failure for him, more even the other slams, and now the surface is slowed down he will exit even earlier.

Murray or Del Potro will be in the final but they will lose to Djokovic...

Noltae
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
The idea that Murray has no chance against Djokovic is a joke
He has good chances

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 04:37 PM
The idea that Murray has no chance against Djokovic is a joke
He has good chances

Only Rafa has a good chance against Djokovic. Cuz he is ranked no. 2 and used to be no. 1.

4th seed can never beat the 1st seed at a grand slam.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Murray is as good as through to the final. The only possible obstacle he has is Delpo,and Delpo has never beaten Andy in 4 tries. Murray-Djokovic final with Djokovic winning in straights. Book it.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Murray is as good as through to the final. The only possible obstacle he has is Delpo,and Delpo has never beaten Andy in 4 tries. Murray-Djokovic final with Djokovic winning in straights. Book it.

I'll bring this lol post up when Murray crashes and burns. Delpo-Murray match is a lock for Delpo, even if it wasn't, Nadal-Murray match is well and truly guaranteed for Rafa who has easily taken him out in the French and Wimby of this year alone. And don't give me 'unfavorable surface' BS cuz Nadal spanked Murray at INDOOR HARDCOURT (his worst surface by far at the 2010 WTF). Nadal is utterly invincible to Murray.

Anyway, this is all moot, cuz Murray is likely to lose to Stan-da-man just like he did last year, and besides, I don't even see Murray getting past the big hitting Hasse who has more weapons than Murray could ever dream of. Refer to this post when the 'upset' happens.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I'll bring this lol post up when Murray crashes and burns. Delpo-Murray match is a lock for Delpo, even if it wasn't, Nadal-Murray match is well and truly guaranteed for Rafa who has easily taken him out in the French and Wimby of this year alone. And don't give me 'unfavorable surface' BS cuz Nadal spanked Murray at INDOOR HARDCOURT (his worst surface by far at the 2010 WTF). Nadal is utterly invincible to Murray.

Anyway, this is all moot, cuz Murray is likely to lose to Stan-da-man just like he did last year, and besides, I don't even see Murray getting past the big hitting Hasse who has more weapons than Murray could ever dream of. Refer to this post when the 'upset' happens.

Wow. Nadal invincible to Murray? Andy has beaten him twice in slams. One of them being the USO when Nadal was in his prime in 2008,and Nadal still couldn't beat him,and barely even got a set. If by some miracle Nadal makes the semis(he won't),he will be demolished by Murray with little trouble. Andy will make the final if he gets past Delpo,and then lose to Djokovic only because nobody is beating him no matter who they are.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow. Nadal invincible to Murray? Andy has beaten him twice in slams. One of them being the USO when Nadal was in his prime in 2008,and Nadal still couldn't beat him,and barely even got a set. If by some miracle Nadal makes the semis(he won't),he will be demolished by Murray with little trouble. Andy will make the final if he gets past Delpo,and then lose to Djokovic only because nobody is beating him no matter who they are.

agree to disagree. I believe Murray will crash out in the 2nd round. Obviously Djokovic is a lock for the final. But so is Nadal.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
agree to disagree. I believe Murray will crash out in the 2nd round. Obviously Djokovic is a lock for the final. But so is Nadal.

The second round? Really? Haase is not beating Andy in no way,shape or form. Can I ask you why you dislike Andy Murray so much?

Mainad
09-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Clarky 21,please don't bother replying to any of Tennis Fan 182's posts with facts and figures,especially about Murray. He is a troll and enjoys making troll posts about Murray. He does it to get a rise out of Murray fans. He's made loads of posts 'confidently predicting' that Murray will get triple bagelled by any player he ever comes across and sits and waits for people's outraged reactions. As with any troll,just ignore him and don't feed him. Nothing you say to him will make the slightest difference anyway. Until the moderators see sense and ban him, my advice is just to ignore him as I have learnt to do.

jaggy
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Id go more with he needs a major miracle but I also want him to win it.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 06:39 PM
The second round? Really? Haase is not beating Andy in no way,shape or form. Can I ask you why you dislike Andy Murray so much?

Does there have to be a reason for you to hate someone?

TopFH
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
As if this was new.

TripleB
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
If anyone can do it, it is Murray. You never know what he will do, he is the true wildcard.

Funny, he hasn't done it in a major yet. :mrgreen:

TripleB

TripleB
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Can I ask you why you dislike Andy Murray so much?

You can ask me!!!

He whines, he complains, if he's winning nothing hurts, if he starts losing suddenly everything hurts, he mopes around on the court, hits his fist on his strings until they bleed.....shall I continue?

Why does anyone like Murray?

TripleB

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
You can ask me!!!

He whines, he complains, if he's winning nothing hurts, if he starts losing suddenly everything hurts, he mopes around on the court, hits his fist on his strings until they bleed.....shall I continue?

TripleB

That sounds a lot like ****,but one needs to add in tons of cursing in Serbian as well. But at least you gave me some reasons,and come by your dislike of Andy honestly. :lol:

TennisFan3
09-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Murray will be absolutely fine with his draw. I think if Nadal and Murray make the SF, Murray has a better than 50-50 chance of taking out Nadal.

My feeling also is that Murray is the only one who can even begin to think of trying to stop this Djokovic juggernaut. I don't believe Nadal, Fed or Delpo have much of a chance really..

Fedex
09-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Murray will be absolutely fine with his draw. I think if Nadal and Murray make the SF, Murray has a better than 50-50 chance of taking out Nadal.

My feeling also is that Murray is the only one who can even begin to think of trying to stop this Djokovic juggernaut. I don't believe Nadal, Fed or Delpo have much of a chance really..

You think Murray will be unscathed if he gets past Haase, Wawrinka, Del Potro and Nadal?!
Today's match against Haase could be a real battle.
Bud hit the nail on the head.
If he somehow get's through this match in quick straights (proves that he's playing slam winning tennis) then he'll have an easy 3rd round match, that could set him up to have a good run for the rest of the tournament.
What is more likely is that the Haase match will be a tough 4 or 5 setter (Murray could actually go out here, it's a banana skin) then the tournament is more of a long haul leaving him with little energy reserves if he gets to the semi and final stages.

Walenty
09-02-2011, 02:33 AM

Blow a two sets to one lead?

Then he probably has to go through Wawrinka

Who has a 2-4 record on HC against Murray. Andy definitely won't let last year happen again.

then Del Potro (coming onto form)

I don't think losing to Gulbis and Cilic of all people is "being in form"

then Nadal

Who he has the best chance to beat by far out of the big three. With Nadal's current form I would put Andy as the favorite, even.

followed by Federer or Djokovic to cap it off.

If he pulls off this last mental hurdle he has a slam.

The icing on the cake is that he doesn't even have to go through Soderling anymore. Not buying this tough draw. :-?

Fedex
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Like your positive cup half full mentality Walenty.
There are three ways to paint a picture.
Positively, negatively and reality.

TennisFan3
09-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Murray's obstacle is Djokovic mainly, if the former plays his A game. No one on Murray's side is playing well enough to beat him.

The thing is, I just can't see Murray beating Djokovic in the final. The Serb will have no qualms in crushing Murray mercilessly as he did in the AO final.

Torres
09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Your predictions are about as useful as a bicycle is to a fish.

syc23
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Lolz

Didn't you get the memo. Stan just got crushed by D. Young :roll:

Crisstti
09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
You can ask me!!!

TripleB

http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/61a3e065d8bdabed3d7ae8614ef7c1f46880174c31f66fcdab 1639201b2747f05g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=e72he51m1gndd3r&thumb=4)

Homeboy Hotel
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
You can ask me!!!

TripleB

Try rate him on his tennis.

CCNM
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
crisstti, thanks for that adorable picture of Andy and Maggie (or is that his other dog?). How does that old song go? "All I need is a miracle, all I need is you......." :)

Crisstti
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
crisstti, thanks for that adorable picture of Andy and Maggie (or is that his other dog?). How does that old song go? "All I need is a miracle, all I need is you......." :)

I'm not sure which one of his dogs that is. But isn't he adorable? :)

Ben Hadd
09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Murray Vs. Federer final. Fed wins. I rode in the DeLorean to find this out.

Feņa14
09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Nadal took five sets to beat Haase in the second round at Wimbledon in 2010, he went on to win the title. Just saying, like.

zagor
09-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Nadal took five sets to beat Haase in the second round at Wimbledon in 2010, he went on to win the title. Just saying, like.

Yes but Nadal is Nadal, you can't draw conclusions from the way he rebounded after such a match to how other players are supposed to do in that situation.

I think the better example is that Murray came back from 2 sets down against Melzer in 2008 USO and still went on to reach the final(playing a great match against Nadal in SF on the way).

Feņa14
09-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Yes but Nadal is Nadal, you can't draw conclusions from the way he rebounded after such a match to how other players are supposed to do in that situation.

I think the better example is that Murray came back from 2 sets down against Melzer in 2008 USO and still went on to reach the final(playing a great match against Nadal in SF on the way).

Both are worthwhile examples. Haase is a streaky, dangerous player who nobody wants to play early on in a tournament.

Murray was still working his way in to the tournament, but did well to come through in the end. That means he needs a minor miracle? I wouldn't say it's changed anything at all. Nadal struggled against Haase and Petzschner in 2010 and people started to have a few doubts, I don't think you can write any big player off if they have a couple of tough early matches. These are quality players who can turn it on in a blink of an eye, it's often a good thing to save your best tennis for the last few matches.

tennis_fan_182
09-03-2011, 03:08 AM
when Nadal survives 5 sets it makes him stronger as he sees how he can endure anything.

When Murray does it, it makes him much, much weaker as he sees how vulnerable he is.

nethawkwenatchee
09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
when Nadal survives 5 sets it makes him stronger as he sees how he can endure anything.

When Murray does it, it makes him much, much weaker as he sees how vulnerable he is.

Did you happen to see his post match reaction yesterday or press conference? He admitted that Haase is a tough/streaky player and that it felt great to find his way out of a slow start. He was very happy and relaxed. He passed a big test and will likely destroy F. Lopez in the next round. His chances are looking better by the minute.

zagor
09-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Both are worthwhile examples. Haase is a streaky, dangerous player who nobody wants to play early on in a tournament.

Oh no doubt about it, he's very talented player, if not for his injuries and his head(poor mental strength and shot selection in crucial moments) the guy would be a constant fixture in top 10 even.

Murray was still working his way in to the tournament, but did well to come through in the end. That means he needs a minor miracle? I wouldn't say it's changed anything at all. Nadal struggled against Haase and Petzschner in 2010 and people started to have a few doubts, I don't think you can write any big player off if they have a couple of tough early matches. These are quality players who can turn it on in a blink of an eye, it's often a good thing to save your best tennis for the last few matches.

Well this thread was made before Murray played 5 setter against Haase, I think the OP meant he would need a minor miracle because of Andy's tough draw/schedule not because he survived a 5 setter in an early round.

I agree, for all we know this match might help Murray's confidence and toughen him up for the next rounds. Too early to write him off for the title just because he survived an early round scare.

Feņa14
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Well this thread was made before Murray played 5 setter against Haase, I think the OP meant he would need a minor miracle because of Andy's tough draw/schedule not because he survived a 5 setter in an early round.

I agree, for all we know this match might help Murray's confidence and toughen him up for the next rounds. Too early to write him off for the title just because he survived an early round scare.

It could do yeah, there was an interview with Nick Bollettieri and he said Murray wouldn't lose at this tournament playing as badly as he did on friday. I think he's right, he'll probably lose to Djokovic or Nadal again playing fairly well. That's about his level, nothing wrong with that.

NadalAgassi
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Haase at his best is like a better version of Berdych's game. If he wasnt so mentally and physically soft, he would easily be a top 10 player.

okdude1992
09-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Haase at his best is like a better version of Berdych's game. If he wasnt so mentally and physically soft, he would easily be a top 10 player.

Don't really see it.

Berdych plays with a solid, controlled agressiveness. He serves big and returns very well. He also has decent movement and volleys.

Hasse is a total loose cannon. He has a fairly big, yet erratic serve. He absolutely pounds the forehand, resulting in a ton of flashy winners but also errors. the backhand is decent, but the return and movement are liabilities.

imo Hasse is like a less complete Gulbis, with alot more fight.

NadalAgassi
09-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Don't really see it.

Berdych plays with a solid, controlled agressiveness. He serves big and returns very well. He also has decent movement and volleys.

Hasse is a total loose cannon. He has a fairly big, yet erratic serve. He absolutely pounds the forehand, resulting in a ton of flashy winners but also errors. the backhand is decent, but the return and movement are liabilities.

imo Hasse is like a less complete Gulbis, with alot more fight.

I am sorry but I dont see Berdych as having decent movement and volleys. I would say mediocre (at best) movement, poor overall defense, and no volleys. Haase actually has much better volleys than Berdych.

Berdych makes alot of errors as well. I saw Haase play Berdych a few years back in Canada live and Haase just destroyed Berdych, easily beating him at his own one dimensiona baseline bashing game. Berdych didnt play badly, he was just flat out overpowered.

We saw the absolute max of Berdych's potential last spring and summer. That is as good as it gets for him, and it still clearly isnt good enough to win a slam. Granted I am not sure if Haase would ever be slam winning material either, even if he had a stronger mind and body that allowed him some of these big slam wins over top 5 players he keeps throwing away, but he could definitely do some more damage than he has so far.

stingstang
09-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Murray's draw is as good as it gets for a USO. Lopez is a gimme, then Donald Young (:lol:) or Chela. Possibly DelPo in the Q's but on current form might not even make it. Nadal is a winnable semi right now

Look at the Fish or Tsonga for a nasty draw: each other then Fed, Djoker, Nadal or Murray in a row :twisted:

Fedex
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Murray's draw is as good as it gets for a USO. Lopez is a gimme, then Donald Young (:lol:) or Chela. Possibly DelPo in the Q's but on current form might not even make it. Nadal is a winnable semi right now

Look at the Fish or Tsonga for a nasty draw: each other then Fed, Djoker, Nadal or Murray in a row :twisted:

Murray's Round 1 and 2 opponents could hardly have been tougher.
How about Djokovic's Conor Niland followed by Carlos Berlocq!

Feņa14
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2033598/US-OPEN-2011-Robin-Haase-tips-Andy-Murray-win-grand-slam.html

Interesting words from Haase... Sometimes you have to play tough matches like that early on.

CmonHewitt
09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Murray has to be some sort of chance, though he does have his work cut out

celoft
09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Murray will reach the final. That is as good as it gets though.

batz
09-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Murray scheduled first up today after being night match previously - how often does that happen?

CMM
09-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Murray scheduled first up today after being night match previously - how often does that happen?

He should be happy considering the weather forecast.

TennisFan3
09-06-2011, 01:54 AM

Look at the weather. Muzz is probably the only player to have a chance to finish his match, tomorrow, from the bottom half. Anyone would be happy to play 1st up tomorrow.

batz
09-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Is the weather forecast bad then guys?

CMM
09-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Is the weather forecast bad then guys?

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/10001?begHour=3&begDay=249

batz
09-06-2011, 03:40 AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/10001?begHour=3&begDay=249

Thanks. Looks like you are right - 1100 start is probably a good thing today!:)

Torres
09-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Murray is going to wipe the floor with Young, the most overhyped, overated, overindulged, USTA overinvested player in history.

Torres
09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
"Andy Murray did his best to make up for lost time by racing to a 6-2 6-3 6-3 win over Donald Young in their delayed fourth-round match at the US Open."

ROCK ON!!!

Zildite
09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
He has a favourable draw for now at least, Young @ 4R and Isner @ QF is probably the easiest of the top 4 guys runs at this point.
Nadal looks beatable, could be a 2008 rerun.

Fedex
09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
"Andy Murray did his best to make up for lost time by racing to a 6-2 6-3 6-3 win over Donald Young in their delayed fourth-round match at the US Open."

ROCK ON!!!

From what I saw, wasn't as easy as the scoreline suggested.
Donald Young made him work.

zagor
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM

For the large part Murray was in cruise control, I don't think he was exerting much energy, he was trying to do just enough to get through comfortably.

Also next up is Isner which is could considering the points won't be long, not a physically draining match-up by any means while against Simon it would have been regardless of the score.

jaggy
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Young was weak, Murray messed about again playing stupid shots on his serve

Fedex
09-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Young was weak, Murray messed about again playing stupid shots on his serve

Well I can't argue too much because I missed a lot of the match.

kishnabe
09-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Murray got a minor miracle....Monday final....should give him a breather to push hard in QF and semi!

Fedex
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Murray got a minor miracle....Monday final....should give him a breather to push hard in QF and semi!

Here's how the minor miracle has to go:

Murray must complete 7 games in 12 days, 2 whole days less than the 14 given to Djokovic.

Murray scrapes past dangerous early floaters Somdev Devermann and Haase - done.

Draw opens up for him playing Lopez and Young helping to slightly dilute the two day disadvantage - done.

Rain threatens to wreck his chances meaning possible 4 matches in 4 days on top of the two day disadvantage but, finally, officials decide to play it on Monday - done.

Djokovic finally gets a hard game playing Tipsarevich - done.

Other factors for minor miracle to occur:

Assume Federer and Djokovic play a gruelling 5 setter.

Assume Nadal and Roddick play a gruelling 5 setter.

Assume Murray wins an easy 3 setter against Isner.

Assume it rains for one day right after the Isner match putting the final back to Tuesday cancelling out the two day disadvantage.

Assume Murray wins an easy 3 setter against Nadal.

Assume Murray plays a tight 5 setter against Djokovic and Murray eventually grinds Djokovic until, in the fourth set, he breaks a nail on his other big toe giving the slight advantage in the war of attrition to Murray who wins on a last set tie break.

Zildite
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Djokovic started on day 2, he only had one more day off than Murray.
Had to lol at Devvarman being a dangerous early floater though. The rest have a chance of happening.

Fedex
09-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Djokovic started on day 2, he only had one more day off than Murray.
Had to lol at Devvarman being a dangerous early floater though. The rest have a chance of happening.

Why let a few minor facts get in the way of a good yarn.
Devvarman was tough btw.