PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Drysdale disagrees with Federer

sliceroni
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Federer "The ball bounces higher and slower and fluff up more that previous years" Cliff "I disagree with you the courts are gonna get smoother, and faster as matches go on as you know.."

I can see how Cliff's theory maybe right. But how many matches has he played on center court lately?? I guess it's not that he disagreed that bothered me. It is that way he sounded as he said it in a very egocentric "I am always right" tone toward the great one. Anybody else not care for Cliff?

Cup8489
09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Federer "The ball bounces higher and slower and fluff up more that previous years" Cliff "I disagree with you the courts are gonna get smoother, and faster as matches go on as you know.."

I can see how Cliff's theory maybe right. But how many matches has he played on center court lately?? I guess it's not that he disagreed that bothered me. It is that way he sounded as he said it in a very egocentric "I am always right" tone toward the great one. Anybody else not care for Cliff?

I didn't like how much he threw it out there. Like uh. but your wrong roger, this is why.

instead of a more subtle suggestion of it.

zagor
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Drysdale obviously knows better because he's the one playing on the centre court and Fed's a spectator, right? :)

Anyway, players give different opinions on court speed more than people realize. I remember Blake saying once that he's horrible at judging court speed and that other players always disagree with him on that matter.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Cliff who??

EKnee08
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

In the 90s he used to be ESPN's lead commentator but has now taken a backseat to several others at ESPN.

Power Player
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Drysdale has a massive ego it seems.

LuvTheGame
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Cliff should thank his lucky stars that Federer didn't pull an Andy Roddick on him! :)

Hey Cliffy (as Pam Shriver calls him) what's wrong with everyone having a right to their own opinion? He seemed nervous the way he kept waiving his hands. A bit strange.

Thought Federer was very respectful to him. Maybe someone should be thinking retirement. Besides why does ESPN keep shuffling these same ole folks around, the Tennis Channel keeps it fresh with different former players and commentators?

BobFL
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
This world is coming apart when one milf playboy from Miami can argue with Federer in that manner.

LuvTheGame
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry to be clueless, what is milf?

SoCal10s
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Cliff D.. must think it's grass ... the hard cement will wear down like grass ?? ... what is he thinking ... if it wears down,it may take years.. by that time they will re-surface the court again to keep it slow...

SoCal10s
09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Drysdale has a massive ego it seems.

South African ego ...

fed_rulz
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
cliff can go eff himself. it is one thing for Nadal to disagree with Federer (that has a lot of merit), and a completely different thing (in a moronic way) for a commentator to disagree with Federer or any other player.

KHSOLO
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
How exactly do the courts get faster like they say?

I have been playing in the same courts for years and they dont seem to get any faster imo

zagor
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
cliff can go eff himself. it is one thing for Nadal to disagree with Federer (that has a lot of merit), and a completely different thing (in a moronic way) for a commentator to disagree with Federer or any other player.

Nadal disagreeing with Fed on court speed is perfectly normal. Wish I remembered where I read an interview in which Blake said other players always disagree with him on court speed. You're right though, Cliff has no business telling Fed what the court plays like, it's stupid and arrogant.

Borrelli
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Drysdale is a idiot. A few months back he made a comment about how Federer should switch to hitting a 2 handed back hand, really Cliff? Mcenroe agrees with Federer that the major proceeding the U.S open series should be congruent in play. Why have a fast surface series leading up to the Open (which has historically been a quick hard court) and then have a drastically different (slower) court for the major? The only thing I can think of is that for television and popularity purposes the organisers want to see a Nadal/Djoko final. God forbid someone like Del Potro or Soderling upset Nadal and the rating go down.

jackson vile
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM

That is what the USO is saying, he should have stated that. He could have stated how other players believe the court is faster. However, one dry person deserves another LOL

Face it, the commentators are not up to par to put it as nice as possible. Is it time for ESPN sucks again?

effervescence
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Sorry to be clueless, what is milf?

MILF = Mother I'd Like to F*** ;)

Agent Orynge
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
This world is coming apart when one milf playboy from Miami can argue with Federer in that manner.

What on earth are you talking about?

WhereDitGo
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
How does Cliffy keep this gig? Why do they use him? He is the worst of the commentators. At one of the tournaments he was going on about how hot Pancho Segura is for Ana Ivanovic. Cliffy sounded drunk and drooly. Yech.

PeterFig
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Cliffy's had some work done lately :)
Hair transplant - check!
Face 'work' - check!

.... I actually used to love the old Cliff Drysdale, Fred Stolle, Mary Carillo trio from 10+ years ago..... ah well.

HiroProtagonist
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Cliffy has been one of the best, but as the years go by you can sense a little bit of senility and irrationality creeping up on him, still prefer him to anyone TC puts in the booth.

And he is just repeating what the USTA(or whoever) said about the speed of the court, but could have stated it in a less condescending manner.

Tony48
09-01-2011, 01:15 PM
LOL, I saw that interview.

It's almost as if Cliff was offended that Federer said that. It was awkwardly hilarious. Fed just smiled and nodded. lol

TennisandMusic
09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Is there a clip on youtube? Sounds ... interesting.

celoft
09-01-2011, 02:50 PM

USO has become AO 2.0

Advantage Djokovic.

Chopin
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I think Drysdale is one of the best. He's pleasant, knowledgeable, and doesn't bend toward theatrics.

Plus, it's nice to have a guy in the box who defeated Laver in a slam match.

marcub
09-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Drysdale might have worked in the 70's. Right now that's how outdated he sounds.
Like I've previoulsy said, he should cover curling instead

jackson vile
09-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Seems that the court are indeed becoming faster now, I don't even understand how that is supposed to work LOL

kevvycore
09-05-2011, 01:06 PM
dont worry he also said when jmac was saying they have to get rid of super Saturday and shorten the schedule that it was actually the viewers fault because we wanted to see super saturday.

Crisstti
09-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Seems like he's implying Fed's criticism wasn't in good faith, so to speak (the "as you know" part).